Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2009, 01:12   #16
BHPian
 
milindajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 163
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
I think you should take your mechanic along and do a Delhi-Jaipur-Delhi stretch to check for reliability. It should not take you more than 10-11 hours.

As they say prevention is better than cure so better be prepared for adversities.

Thanks buddy for all your advice. As you all know, the bike is under full restoration now under RD guru Sumeet Mehndiratta and the process will be completed by next month at the most. After that, my friend will be driving it till Nov end during weekends and being a bike specialist, I hope if any snag developes, it will come out mean time. So by Nov end - hope my RD will be ready & tested for the run.
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2009, 13:30   #17
BHPian
 
milindajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 163
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Please suggest some food joints along NH2. And also some good hotel for night stay at Kanpur and Varanasi. I don't want to go deep inside the city - anything near NH2 or on NH2 is fine.

Last edited by milindajp : 13th June 2009 at 13:44. Reason: Same post coming twice
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2009, 13:39   #18
BHPian
 
milindajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 163
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

I need some more suggestions -
  1. Helmet : I will be bringing it from dubai - need some suggestion regarding which brand is good for cruise
  2. Tank Bag: Are they of any use and do they scratch the polish
  3. Saddle bag : which is the best brand
And, where I can get a detail map of NH2 - please don't suggest google map.

regards

Last edited by milindajp : 13th June 2009 at 13:44. Reason: spelling mistake
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 12:58   #19
BHPian
 
milindajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 163
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Guys, yesterday I checked a Bike shop here in Dubai and for a Nolan helmet they are asking AED 2000 which is almost Rs.26000/-. Ari and AGV is also priced almost nearly.

So, which of the three is a better one. Any suggestion.
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 16:19   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
Sudipto-S-Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,294
Thanked: 258 Times
Default


Last Saturday I bought an Aaron here for Rs 400 !!!
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:07   #21
BHPian
 
milindajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 163
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Some more progress !!!
  • The beast is almost ready. Hope to get it delivered by first week of August.
  • Already collected the following items (I will post the images in this weekend) ....
  1. Sleeping Bag - Coleman
  2. Tent for 2 person - Safari
  3. Half helmet - Harley Davidson
  4. Nolan Helmet - N103 N-Com
  5. Harley Davidson half gloves
  6. Set of 2 (one Big and another small) - all leather Touring Bag from Harley Davidson
  7. Black & Decker Tool Kit
regards
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi - Kolkata : A ride on RD350-new-image.jpg  

Delhi - Kolkata : A ride on RD350-new-image-1.jpg  

milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 22:32   #22
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,617
Thanked: 10,778 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milindajp View Post
Some more progress !!!
  1. Sleeping Bag - Coleman
  2. Tent for 2 person - Safari
Hi Milinda, good to know you're prepping so seriously for your run. But what on earth would you want to carry those two items for, on a Delhi-Kolkata run? and that too, on a bike?
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 22:47   #23
BHPian
 
milindajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 163
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
[/list][/indent]Hi Milinda, good to know you're prepping so seriously for your run. But what on earth would you want to carry those two items for, on a Delhi-Kolkata run? and that too, on a bike?
Dada, got them very cheap while checking for the other gears. Only AED 35/- for the sleeping bag & AED 29/- for the tent. They came with other camping gears as a promotional offer.... Coudn't resist the temptation.
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 22:55   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
Nitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Lucky you! Congrats!
Waiting to see more pics of the bike, and of course, your travelogue once you are through with it.
Ride safe!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 09:57   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,617
Thanked: 10,778 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milindajp View Post
Dada, got them very cheap while checking for the other gears. Only AED 35/- for the sleeping bag & AED 29/- for the tent. They came with other camping gears as a promotional offer.... Coudn't resist the temptation.
...and there was no offer of a free motorcycle in the package deal? Or, maybe, one for 100 AED?
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:08   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: kolkata
Posts: 927
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

I would suggest converting the bike from points to CDI, if your machanic is good he should be able to do the same. It's been really long since I owned the TD 350 but from what I know some people who had converted from points to CDI were very happy as they don't have to adjust the points again and again.

I also don't want to sound pessimistic, but I suggest you load the bike into a train and bring the same to Kolkata, I would not suggest driving Delhi-Kolkata on an RD 350.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:30   #27
BHPian
 
milindajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 163
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
I would suggest converting the bike from points to CDI, if your machanic is good he should be able to do the same. It's been really long since I owned the TD 350 but from what I know some people who had converted from points to CDI were very happy as they don't have to adjust the points again and again.

I also don't want to sound pessimistic, but I suggest you load the bike into a train and bring the same to Kolkata, I would not suggest driving Delhi-Kolkata on an RD 350.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have already going for the CDI. And I know, it is a very very mad decision to ride a RD-350 from Delhi to Kolkata and all of my friends are against it. But I want to give it a try. Don't know why, but with all your good wishes and prayer, I hope to complete the journey successfully....
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:44   #28
BHPian
 
milindajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 163
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
...and there was no offer of a free motorcycle in the package deal? Or, maybe, one for 100 AED?

Dada, nice one.

Lots of replica bikes were for sale also.... and I got one. A Harley Davidson FatBoy model.... Battery operated but size in life 3.5 ft.
Attached Images
   
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:24   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
Sudipto-S-Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,294
Thanked: 258 Times
Default

Harley makes more money from selling merchandise (mostly made in China) than from selling the all American dream bikes. I had once bought a pair of their steel toe boots as a memento of my trip to America (Harley being a symbol of America blah blah). To my utter dismay I found later that they were made in China !!!

By the way, keep a pair of full gloves if you plan the trip in winter. It will be freezing cold.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 17:14   #30
BHPian
 
milindajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 163
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Harley makes more money from selling merchandise (mostly made in China) than from selling the all American dream bikes. I had once bought a pair of their steel toe boots as a memento of my trip to America (Harley being a symbol of America blah blah). To my utter dismay I found later that they were made in China !!!

By the way, keep a pair of full gloves if you plan the trip in winter. It will be freezing cold.

Sudipto da, you are right. But this is not only for Harley, most of the European and American companies are manufacturing their staffs in China & Tiwan (even iPhone is also Tiwan Made), putting their logo and selling it. However, though it is a replica, but the finishing is excellent and I got it very cheap too....


Do you have any idea about tank bags? Are they good or are they going to remove the polish? Please shed some light dada.
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4th Delivery, RD350 TLog Mumbai > Nagpur > Mumbai (1708KMs Covered on 1984 RD350) nomadabhi Travelogues 5 29th July 2010 12:12
"Kolkata - Leh - Kolkata * Interested Kolkata TBHP Members. Captdey Route / Travel Queries 17 17th May 2010 23:48
Are RD350 LC and RD350 AC pistons are same ? trammway Motorbikes 6 2nd September 2009 20:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks