Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 26th October 2009, 10:38   #61
Senior - BHPian

I don't think you should worry too much about the elections if you are riding a bike and that too during the day time. The highway goes through relatively desolate parts of the state, except in Dumri, and I don't see any large scale unrest happening on the highway. Once you are in Dumri it's very close to Bengal border. Tank up before entering Jharkhand and breeze through the state. It's also the most scenic part of the drive. Have fun.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 12:18   #62
BHPian

Thanks Sutripta for your suggestions. I will check the situations around that time and if it becomes worse, I will opt for option A or else I will stick to option C.

It's nice to know that you too have a RD. Post some image please. And I would like to meet you once in Kolkata. Page me your contact boss.

regards
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 13:04   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milindajp View Post
It's nice to know that you too have a RD. Post some image please. And I would like to meet you once in Kolkata. Page me your contact boss.

regards
Not much of a blogger/ poster/ photographer. PMed you my contact details.
Bike 20 yr old, single owner (ME), 14k on the clock. Bone stock. Thats how I know how exhilarating and frustrating it can be.
Frequently out of Cal. Will be happy to show you the bike in person! Have decided to restore it. So furiously stuffing coins into my piggybank.

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 13:56   #64
BHPian

On the contrary i feel refueling in Jharkhand is better bet.
There is good gas station in Barhi (near Rasoiya Dhamna Toll Plaza)

After Delhi and Haryana, Fuel is cheaper in Jharkhand wrt UP, Bihar and WB.

Only trouble area is Isri to WB border.
thebagchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2009, 17:56   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

The RD has a limited range (due to its incredible thirst), and does not take kindly to either poor quality fuel, or fuel starvation. Fuel stop planning essential.

Sutripta
Old 27th October 2009, 14:33   #66
BHPian

I have checked with the mapsofindia HPCL map and found that from Delhi to Varanasi, there are a lot of petrol pumps, where as from Varanasi till Asansol, there are 2-3 petrol pumps. But got assurance from 'thebugchi' that there are indeed a lot of filling stations in the whole route - approx within the range of 100kms.

To be in safer side, I have planned to carry some 15-20 lits. of extra fuel in 2 jaricans - but for that I have to attach a big carrier that are used by the royal enfield tourers. Don't know if at all this will fit without a scratch to my RD.

Please provide some suggestions. And do any one have a map of filling stations for NH2? Or cahn you suggest where can I find one?
Old 27th October 2009, 14:39   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have checked with the mapsofindia HPCL map and found that from Delhi to Varanasi, there are a lot of petrol pumps, where as from Varanasi till Asansol, there are 2-3 petrol pumps. But got assurance from 'thebugchi' that there are indeed a lot of filling stations in the whole route - approx within the range of 100kms.

To be in safer side, I have planned to carry some 15-20 lits. of extra fuel in 2 jaricans - but for that I have to attach a big carrier that are used by the royal enfield tourers. Don't know if at all this will fit without a scratch to my RD.

Please provide some suggestions. And do any one have a map of filling stations for NH2? Or cahn you suggest where can I find one?
It's a completely misplaced worry. Petrol pump is least of the problems on this route. But yes, don't wait for the last moment to fill up and do keep a mental note of the last pump you crossed. You don't need to carry petrol on NH2. You hardly ever feel completely away from civilisation. But I can't vouch for the quality of fuel. I got water mixed fuel during my recent north-Bengal trip and had to suffer in Bhutan with very poor pull in the mountains. What is the range of your RD with a full tank?

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 27th October 2009 at 14:45.
Old 27th October 2009, 15:28   #68
BHPian

I feel RD would have bare minimum Range of 200Kms with Full Tanks
thats more than enough on NH2

Only Allahabad Bypass is void of any petrol bunks, that considerable distance without Petrol bunk. But not more than 70Kms.

Last edited by thebagchi : 27th October 2009 at 15:30.
Old 27th October 2009, 16:06   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,
Misreading my concern. It is quality of fuel. Both adulteration and dirt. The RD is sensitive to fuel. Quantity and quality. Prone to detonation. Do not have fuel starvation under any circumstance. Don't run to reserve. Of course, if you have a couple of spare pistons....

I'm sure your tuner/ restorer can explain it all to you.

You need to find out where the COCOs are. Comfortable range should be 250Km. Carrying fuel is best avoided on a bike.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 27th October 2009, 16:25   #70
BHPian

I Can't Think Anymore Guys.....

In case after Varanasi, my RD's got dead, it will be towed by thebagchi's avanger.

Bagchi bhai - agreed.

And Sudiptoda - just plan a get together for our Kolkata bhpians in december please - we gonna have fun.

Last edited by milindajp : 27th October 2009 at 16:27.
Old 27th October 2009, 17:04   #71
Senior - BHPian

I think I would give more credence to Sutripta's views than mine on these issues because he knows the route and his RD. Actually I didn't see his post on fuel before writing my own comments. COCO means company owned and company operated. These are supposed to be better in terms of quality control. But I don't know how to spot one.
Normally I tank up whenever I see a largish petrol pump from where locals are refuelling. But my strategy may not be entirely foolproof.
But my one line suggestion - get on the road, trust yourself and your destiny, enjoy the ride.
Old 27th October 2009, 17:14   #72
BHPian

Quote:
I Can't Think Anymore Guys.....

In case after Varanasi, my RD's got dead, it will be towed by thebagchi's avanger.

Bagchi bhai - agreed.

And Sudiptoda - just plan a get together for our Kolkata bhpians in december please - we gonna have fun.
Don't worry Bhai, am sure RD will be happily cruising. on Fuel that is being made available to it. After all we have come a long way from what was available when RD was made available to we Indians by Yamaha and now.

Fuel quality should not be worry at all.

Just in case required, you must be carrying backpack. Carry 2 L Cold Drink Bottle, just in case needed you can carry additional 2L

Last edited by thebagchi : 27th October 2009 at 17:17.
Old 27th October 2009, 18:39   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
But my one line suggestion - get on the road, trust yourself and your destiny, enjoy the ride.
+1. Endorsed. Seconded.
But preferably not cowboy style, unplanned, guns blazing.

Actually, my tone of what I wanted to convey didn't come through. (I'm bad with words, that's why I don't blog...). My two liner on fuel planning was not meant to scare, but just to say that some planning will increase the odds of yours having an enjoyable run. Planned just means that:- planned. Does not mean impossible or difficult.

And lest there be any misunderstandings, want to clear up a few things. I have a RD. And a TBTS. But I am essentially a car guy. For touring, I use 4 wheelers. Envy people like you, but would not think of doing a transport section (which is what NH2 is) on a bike. For the bikers point of view, diehard bikers like Bagchi are far more qualified than I. And NH2 is not really my beat. My "expertise" on this sector ends at Barhi/ Bagodar.

For COCOs (and anything else regarding touring) the most amazing (and friendly and ever willing to help) resource is Mr. H.V. Kumar. Drop him a line.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 27th October 2009, 22:33   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...there are indeed a lot of filling stations in the whole route - approx within the range of 100kms.
To be in safer side, I have planned to carry some 15-20 lits. of extra fuel in 2 jaricans...
Absolutely DON'T carry petrol in jerrycans on your bike. Totally unsafe, even the thought of it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
It's a completely misplaced worry. Petrol pump is least of the problems on this route.
Very true. Every town you pass through, every 20 km or so, you will get a pump. For a DEL-CCU ride, assuming a range of 200-250 km, here are a list of options:
  1. Mathura - good company owned pumps in front of refinery. Can safely fill empty tank.
  2. Top up at Agra - plenty of pumps
  3. Top up at Etawah
  4. Auraiya - fairly big town- top up
  5. Kanpur - pumps on highway just before and after the flyover (bypass)
  6. Fatehpur - 3-4 pumps at least, but need to get off the highway before flyover begins
  7. Allahabad - going into town may be best to top up
  8. Gopiganj - fuel available
  9. Benaras - fuel up on highway, about 10 km out of town - though the best pumps are in the town - two near the railway station is what I use if I enter Benaras nowadays. But then you plan to stay overnight in Benaras...
  10. 2-3 pumps at the UP-Bihar border - whatever that town is called
  11. Sasaram - at least 3 pumps
  12. Dehri-on-Sone - again, 2-3 pumps
  13. Aurangabad
  14. Sherghati and Barachatti have pumps of doubtful quality - carry on to Barhi if possible
  15. Many pumps at Isri Bazar
  16. Gobindpur - good pumps, at least 2
  17. Asansol - first big pump on the right, on a junction
  18. Durgapur - all well...
  19. ...and you are in Kolkata.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 11:29   #75
Senior - BHPian

Number 17 is Jubilee pump. Famous and perhaps the largest in eastern India. Open 24x7. Accepts credit cards. Rest of the pumps you might need to pay in cash. Carry enough of it.