Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 3rd December 2009, 20:34   #106
Senior - BHPian

Best of Luck Man i am sure that you are enjoying it. I met Sumit Bhai the other day and he was telling me about your to be trip
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 20:46   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

SS Traveller please convey our Happy Journey wishes to MJP.Must be having a thrilling experience with his new acquisition.Would wait for pictures and a travelogue.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 20:55   #108
Senior - BHPian

Hi, Great dude.

You know what you are about 4-5 days behind my trip in RD350 for 1178kms long ride.

I regret in a way about this ride that I had, you know what I sold my RD350 which holds Kerala state number plate. Hence I rode it all the way from chennai to trivandrum to complete the sale.

This trip of my bike turned my last ever RD350 long ride and that too in the very recent past (last weekend). Checkout the story and pics in my RD350 blog which is already closed Yamaha RD 350

I wish you all the best with your ride, drive safe.

Last edited by trammway : 3rd December 2009 at 20:58.
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 07:39   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

MJP reached Cal safely just after midnight.

Great.

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 18:21   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a long chat with MJP on the phone. He had a trouble-free run, except getting held up at a railway level crossing (I suspect it was at Isri Bazar) for over an hour, and again, before Durgapur, when a crash on the highway blocked traffic for over 2 hours. He's promised to post his travelogue in the beginning of next week, so let's be a little patient, guys!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 10:00   #111
BHPian

Hi friends,
The mission is accomplished. But it took me three long days before I sit on my laptop to pen down the travelogue. I was tired and there was a small family engagement, my daughter was demanding – all these make the delay. My sincere apologies…

Day One (27.11.2009): Reached New Delhi at 8:45pm. The flight was delayed by an hour and every passing moment makes me more and more anxious. However, it was a nice feeling once back to my own country. Pulak, my school friend was there to receive me in New Delhi airport with his ‘Wagen R’. Another 40-45min and we reached another friends place. I meet her after a gap of more than 20 years. Soon the air was filled with all sorts of school time stories and sweet memories. Knowing my planned trip, she proudly displayed her scooter - indecently, she took her first riding lesson from me during school days. Finished dinner and returned to Pulak’s den by 2o’clock. Tomorrow will be a big day – I will go to Kallol’s place at Dwarka to take my RD. Please God, please – make the night smaller.
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 10:16   #112
BHPian

Day Two (28.11.2009): Generally I wake up by 7 in the morning, but today it is 5:30. The weather in New Delhi is great. Have some tea and got ready by 9am. Reaching Dwarka from Chattarpur Pahari took less than an hour. The first sight of the RD makes my blood rushing – it was a dream coming true. All credit goes to Kallol for keeping the bike in such a good condition. It was shining like a sword. Thanks buddy – I really appreciate for what you have done. The sound, the first thrill of driving it makes me feel so satisfied. However, as we have to reach Sumeet’s garage at Noida, we have a quick breakfast at Kallol’s place and set for Noida.

Reaching Noida was not a problem but the road condition of New Delhi and volume of traffic makes me surprised. I will always remember my first meeting with Sumeet Mehndiratta. He was so polite and helping, a really nice person to work with. Though his workshop is small, but I found it quite popular with the RD owners of NCR. Meet a lot of proud RD owners all of whom are surprised to know about my plan but their absolute confidence on Sumeet’s technical knowledge makes me feel more relaxed.

Soon a couple of school friends came to meet me at Sumeet’s workshop some of whom I meet after 18-20 years. The environment was so relaxed – lots a fun on one side and to watch my RD getting more and more tuned in the expert hands of Sumeet. Well after sunset, after checking everything, say goodbye to Sumeet and headed for a friend’s place nearby. But God have different plan for me. Soon it was found that the horn is not blowing properly and the oil coming out of front right shock absorber. All sorts of wrong thoughts started coming to mind and I was so sad. Friends are always friends – they realize my condition and we end up in a bar. More friends came and it becomes some sort of school reunion. Couple of drinks….. and now it’s time to say good bye to my friends.
Attached Images

Old 7th December 2009, 10:23   #113
BHPian

Day Three (29.12.2009): 10:30am sharp and we are in front of Sumeet’s workshop. The whole day, he spent rechecking everything, fixing the minor glitches and I test ride so many times. Suddenly, I found that I forgot to bring my Harley riding gloves from Dubai, a big mistake. Rushed to Karol Bag, scanned the whole market for some good riding gloves. The market is full of cheap, duplicate products and most of the shopkeepers are going extra length to dupe the customers. Picked a pair of so called original KTM gloves for Rs1650/- from Chopra’s shop. Overall experience at Karoll Bagh - very frustrating.

Back to Sumeet’s garage and now it seems the bike is ready for the ride. Sumeet gave some last minute technical suggestions and after thanking him for the last time – we headed back to New Delhi.

On reaching Vasant Kunj, I called Dr. Sengupta (SS-Traveller) to fix an appointment with him. We came to know each other through Team-BHP and this will be my first opportunity to meet him face to face. I was a little bit nervous but after talking to him over the phone – I was relaxed. We fixed the appointment at 9pm and as there was some time left in our hand, me and Pulak headed for Chattarpur. Quickly arranged the entire luggage and bought all required medicines as per the chart provided Dr. Sengupta weeks back. Thanks sir, I will always remember your kindness.

Reached Dr. Sengupta’s residence with Pulak and soon the unknown faces become so friendly that I feel like in my elder brother’s place. He was so helpful, so kind that even expressing my deepest thanks from the core of my heart is less. He went to that extent that he called some of his contacts on my route and requested them to help me in case I need it. I never thought a person who knows me so little can help me so much. Got a lot of precious suggestions from him, shared some travel experiences. Suddenly I realized the clock already left the 11 sign. So say goodbye and good night to Sengupta Sir and start driving towards Pulak’s place. Now I started feeling really confident, the feeling that fellow Bhpians like Dr. Sengupta is there to extend their helping hands makes me feel the Delhi-Kolkata ride a too small thing.

Unfortunately, I was not carrying any camera and so couldn't take photo of my meeting with Dr. Sengupta sir - I will repent it...

Last edited by milindajp : 7th December 2009 at 10:28.
Old 7th December 2009, 10:46   #114
BHPian

Day Four (30.11.2009): As per our schedule, me and Pulak was supposed to start from Delhi at 5:30 am. After calling Pulak for thousands time, he wake up, but by this time it is already 8:30am. I felt very frustrated for his laziness. We are supposed to reach Agra by 1pm and have a look at Taj and Agra fort. But now it seems to be an impossible task. Gave a good thrashing to Pulak and realized that everyone needs to get married – at least to be more responsible. Old bachelors are so …….

We hit the road for Agra at 10:15am. Pulak on his Maruti 800 (indicators are not working, the driver’s seat is sliding automatically, and all sorts of musical noise are coming – seems to be a band party) and me on my RD350. To avoid the morning rush of Delhi, Pulak took a road – which turned out to be more chaotic and not in a good condition also. The time we hit NH2 it is already 1o’clock. The day before was a wedding date, so there was lot of cars with ‘x weds y’ sign driving rashly… god knows they are hurrying for what...

By the time we reach Taj Mahal at Agra, the clock was hovering near 4:30pm. I was furious with Pulak and he silently and with a smiling face digested all my verbal firing. This is the advantage of having old buddies – they never react on anything. Moreover, after coming here only, we came to know that the prior information we got from Archeological Survey of India regarding Night viewing of Taj was totally wrong. This night viewing is not open on all full moon night (previously the ASI told that night viewing is open two nights before and two nights after including the full moon night). End of the day – we are standing in Taj Mahal parking lot – and in day one itself – we are running behind the schedule, so frustrating. Suddenly, it came to my mind that we need to check-in a hotel and I need to call Vineet Kocharji (VKochar).

So, first I called Kocharjee and he immediately turned up. We spent lot of quality time together and then he arranged a hotel for me. He was so friendly that it seems we know each other for ages. Thanks buddy, thanks for being so nice and helping.
Attached Images

Old 7th December 2009, 11:06   #115
BHPian

Just one technical Update: Put 2lit. Valvoline 2T oil and 15 lits of fuel. while starting from Chattarpur, New Delhi. Speedo meter reading - 12302.

Speedometer Reading at Taj Mahal, Agra - 12498.

Total Kms covered - 196kms. Average - 20kms/lit. Speed - 60~70kms/hr at 3000~3500rpm.
Attached Images

Old 7th December 2009, 13:04   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milindajp View Post
Suddenly, it came to my mind that we need to check-in a hotel and I need to call Vineet Kocharji (VKochar).

So, first I called Kocharjee and he immediately turned up. We spent lot of quality time together and then he arranged a hotel for me. He was so friendly that it seems we know each other for ages. Thanks buddy, thanks for being so nice and helping.
You are welcome Buddy. you should have called me a day before so I could have arranged a better place for you.

And my name's VARUN KOCHAR !

I look forward to the rest of your travelogue.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 13:06   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
You are welcome Buddy. you should have called me a day before so I could have arranged a better place for you.

And my name's VARUN KOCHAR !

I look forward to the rest of your travelogue.

My sincere apologies sir....
Old 7th December 2009, 13:29   #118
BHPian

More Images from Taj Mahal.....
Attached Images

Old 7th December 2009, 13:50   #119
BHPian

Day Five (30.11.2009): Early morning we set for Taj Mahal. The first sight of magnificent Taj half hidden in the morning mist is unexplainable. The fine stone carvings and the metallic designs bear the rich heritage of Indian craftsmanship. We spent almost three hours taking lots of images in the supreme monument of love. We wanted to spend some more time but the thought of reaching Allahabad the same evening make us hurried back to the hotel. Though Kocharjee and I planned to meet in the morning once again, but I was getting late, so called him to say good bye and started for Allahabad at 9:30am

The road to Allahabad was smooth except some patches. I kept the speed limited to 65-80kmph and stopped at a road side Dhaba for the first time well after crossing Kanpur. It was around 3pm then. The food was not very good, but tasty. Have dal, roti and a few puff of cigarette – I am ready for the ride again.

By the time I reached Allahabad, the sun was already set. The road to Allahabad city from NH2 was small and broken at places. The traffic was heavy, so it took me another 2 hours to reach a school friends place at Lukergunj, Allahabad. She and her husband were very cordial. They are one of old aristocrat families of Allahabad. Her husband, a lawyer by profession was very interested in bikes and cars. So, as usual, most of our discussion was centered on Team-BHP and Bhpians. After dinner, I parked the bike at her place and returned to a hotel near railway station.

Here, it is worth mentioning that while in Allahabad, I tried to call fellow Bhpian Mr. Manuji (ghbk) but unfortunately couldn’t get through. We had a chat when I was in Dubai, and we planned to see the Prayag together while in Allahabad – but unfortunately our mobile carriers played the spoil game. I am sorry sir – definitely we will meet next time.
Attached Images

Last edited by milindajp : 7th December 2009 at 14:06.
Old 7th December 2009, 13:56   #120
BHPian

Day Six (01.12.2009): I am supposed to reach Varanasi. Though the distance between Allahabad and Varanasi is only 150km, but I have decided to start early so as to get maximum time at Varanasi. After a quick breakfast at my friends place, I set for Varanasi at around 9:30 am. My first stop was exactly 50km from Varanasi. On my way, I found herds of cattle and camel. Probably, they are going to a fair. The road was as usual good and so driving was relatively smooth. The first thing I did after stopping at the milestone is to call Sengupta sir and Kocharji, so as to update them about my current location. Sengupta sir, gave some quick suggestions regarding which diversion to take for Varanasi city, where to stay etc.

But, while entering the city, I missed the diversion and again called Sengupta sir. He was very co-operative and again guided me to the right way. After reaching Varanasi city, I headed straight to the UP Tourism Guest House. The accommodation was cheap and more over they have proper covered parking space. I was very happy finding a safe and proper parking place for my bike. After a relaxing shower and some rice with curd, I set for Kashi Viswanath Temple by rickshaw. Varanasi being a old city is crowded, the very presence of Viswanathji gives a satisfying and auspicious feeling. I performed puja and then purchased ticket (Rs.151/-) for Mangala Aarti. After spending some time in the famous ghats of Varanasi, I went for a boat ride. The reflections of the candle in the Ganga, the burning ghats make me feel very homesick. The realization of ‘death is the ultimate truth’ makes me count how small I have done and what else I need to do before meeting the truth. The boatman, Ramesh Sahani (9984441767) was a very good person. He guided me to the main ghats, stopping at some so that I can take some photos and goes on explaining the history behind them. Though I doubt the authenticity of some of his stories, but his friendly gestures soon took over my loneliness. By the time Ganga Aarti starts at Dasaswamedh Ghat, Rameshji positioned his boat in a manner so that I can watch it properly. One by one, more and more boats started coming and by 6:30pm, the whole area was full of devotees and foreign tourists. The synchronized way of performing Aarti by seven priests is worth watching. I missed a big opportunity of recording it in a movie camera as I was not carrying one. However, a small clip I captured in my still camera. It was almost 7:30 then, I was feeling tired so I say goodbye to Rameshji and paid him Rs250/- for his service and then returned to Hotel. As I need to return for the Mangala Aarti, I have some light dinner and went to sleep.

Exactly at 2:30am I reached the temple. By that time devotees already started pouring in, but the queue was small. The gates opened and we around 40-45 people silently sit distributed on the four doors of the main temple. The Abhisheek ceremony of Shivji took almost one hour. The chanting of mantras, the aarti makes me feel really satisfied. At this particular moment, I felt so happy and secured that I would like to suggest all my fellow Bhpians to experience this particular ritual whenever they are in Varanasi. Unfortunately, due to highest degree of security, no cameras are allowed inside the temple and I couldn’t take any photo.