Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 7th September 2016, 18:44   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Wadala - Mahabaleshwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think you are referring to the turn off at Surur for the Wai-Surur road (Marked A on the map).

There is another junction about 4-5 Km later at Joshi Wihir (Marked B on the map) which is for SH 72. Any idea how this road is ? (Both these roads meet inside Wai).
The default route to reach Mahabaleshwar from Mumbai/Pune is exit NH4 at a place located above (A) known as "Wai Phata" - Road usually remains good.

And if you are reaching from Bangalore side, you take the exit from NH4 from Panchwad town and reach Mahabaleshwar via Wai & Panchagani although there is another option to completely bypass Panchagani and reach Mahabaleshwar directly after Satara.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 16:04   #62
Lij
BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai - Mahabaleshwar : Route Queries

Need advice on the drive to Panchgani. Trip is planned for this weekend and we'll (wife and me) be leaving at 6 am from Mulund.

There are 2 routes, the faster one through Mum-Pune expressway and another through Pali-Mangaon-Poladpur (NH-66). I am quite aware of the expressway route till Pune and also believe there won't be any major issues on that route till Panchgani and planning to take it on the return journey.

The other route Pali-Mangaon-Poladpur is were I need help as I have never driven here.

1. Refueling options both for the car and the occupants.
2. Traffic (since its a long weekend) and road conditions.
3. What time could I expect to reach Panchgani with a break of 30 mins for refueling and breakfast with the 6 am departure? Google says 5-6 hours, for the other route its says 4-6 hours.
Lij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 18:34   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
Need advice on the drive to Panchgani. Trip is planned for this weekend and we'll (wife and me) be leaving at 6 am from Mulund.
Take the express way
6 am Mulund
830 am Katraj Tunnel
845 ish Khed shivapur
945 Wai turn off
1030 pachgani
This is assuming you don't take any breaks.

There is a Kamat and mcdonalds at khed shivapur. Depends on what you want to eat.
If u can stop just for Tea, have brunch at mapro garden pachgani.

For fuelling. Start with a full tank. Refuel at BP COCO at khed shivapur next to mcdonalds.

With breaks account for 6 hours.

What car are you driving. If you have never driven such long distances add 15 mins for each leg i posted above.

Last edited by freedom : 8th March 2017 at 18:36.
freedom is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 18:43   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post

There are 2 routes, the faster one through Mum-Pune expressway and another through Pali-Mangaon-Poladpur (NH-66). I am quite aware of the expressway route till Pune and also believe there won't be any major issues on that route till Panchgani and planning to take it on the return journey.

The other route Pali-Mangaon-Poladpur is were I need help as I have never driven here.
Stick to NH4. Its faster better and roads are excellent. Don't bother about Pali-Mangaon-Poladpur. It is time consuming and not worth it. Plus Poladpur - Panchgani roads would be bad.
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 19:24   #65
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Take the express way
6 am Mulund
830 am Katraj Tunnel
845 ish Khed shivapur
945 Wai turn off
1030 pachgani
This is assuming you don't take any breaks.

There is a Kamat and mcdonalds at khed shivapur. Depends on what you want to eat.
If u can stop just for Tea, have brunch at mapro garden pachgani.

For fuelling. Start with a full tank. Refuel at BP COCO at khed shivapur next to mcdonalds.

With breaks account for 6 hours.

What car are you driving. If you have never driven such long distances add 15 mins for each leg i posted above.
Thank you dear freedom for the ETA break-up!! I'll be driving Linea TJet and have done Mum-Pun every week for 5 years, so that route is very familiar till that point. If you have any information on the break / refuel points on the NH-66 route that would also help.

I was planning the pit stop at Shell Warje, but that can be decided on the drive.

Also how about the traffic in the hills owing to long weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Stick to NH4. Its faster better and roads are excellent. Don't bother about Pali-Mangaon-Poladpur. It is time consuming and not worth it. Plus Poladpur - Panchgani roads would be bad.
Thank you dear Dodge_Viper, if the roads are bad I would prefer sticking to NH4. I considered it for being the enthusiast's route
Lij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 10:34   #66
BHPian

Also how about the traffic in the hills owing to long weekend?

If you hit the Khandala ghat before 8:00am on Saturday (of long weekend), you will not face much issues. Else account for min. 1 hour extra or more in the ghat due to the rush to get out of Mumbai. Had seen queues from Amrutanjan bridge right till the toll while I was driving to Mumbai on long weekend Saturday.
See if you can start by 5:00am. That will help you avoid the traffic around Pune as well.
bigwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2017, 10:01   #67

Dear all
Looking for input and advice from anyone who has done Mumbai Mahabaleshwar recently
Is it better to go via pune-wai-Panchgani?
Are there any significant benefits to the Mahad route? - scenery etc or any hazards such as landslides or other
My intended date of travel to M'war is Friday 23 June
And return on Monday 26 June
Will be my first long distance in the new Honda City so fingers crossed she gets a chance to stretch her legs..... let's see how the cvt does
Thanks in advance for any inputs
-seaferns
seaferns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 12:53   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaferns View Post
Dear all
Looking for input and advice from anyone who has done Mumbai Mahabaleshwar recently
Is it better to go via pune-wai-Panchgani?
Are there any significant benefits to the Mahad route? - scenery etc or any hazards such as landslides or other
Pune-Wai-Mahaby is definitely much better and faster than Mahad. The real fun on NH66 starts only after Mangaon, so for Mahad you won't really get much from it.
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote