Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 14th June 2009, 19:19   #1

Default Mumbai to Coorg by Road - Nov 09!!

Hi Everyone, I am a new member to this forum. i own a Indica XETA (more cars per car - famliy has a comfortable seating at the back..!).

Though I have been moving in and around Mumbai - had only i long drive last Diwali to Rajkot from Mumbai.

This November planning for Coorg. Any idea on the NH4 condition, this would be major part of the drive. Also i welcome route suggestions and tips.

Regards
silverwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2009, 23:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Too early days, the rains will tell. Although NH4 keeps its shape during the monsoons, the shortest route which is via Shimoga takes a beating.

Ideal route would be to go on NH4 till Harihar - via Pune, Kolhapur, Belgaum, Hubli - and then go via Shimoga, Bhadravathi, Tarikere, Channarayapatna/ Hassan to Corg.

If you are a very fast driver, you can reach Coorg directly on the same day, else you can take a halt at Hassan.

If you are keen on going via Bangalore - and have a private place to stay there - Bangalore would be an ideal place to halt.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 10:24   #3

Thanks Kumar, I googled the route and the stretch is around 1100kms. I intend to take a break and will check out places at Hassan.

Thanks once again.

Regards
Old 15th June 2009, 11:40   #4
BHPian

Hey Silverwheel

I too have been thinking of driving down to Coorg and own a XETA GLS 2006 myself.

We would 3 of us - me, wife & kid... the most that I have driven is to Mangalore - via Pune, Kolhapur, Belgaum, Hubli - Haliyal, Kundapura and hv had given the route plan to me.

Lets see how this route queries / plan develops....

Cheers
saildrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 12:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwheel View Post
Thanks Kumar, I googled the route and the stretch is around 1100kms. I intend to take a break and will check out places at Hassan.

Thanks once again.

Regards
Hotel Southern Star is a good place to stay at Hassan
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 14:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Hey Silverwheel

I too have been thinking of driving down to Coorg and own a XETA GLS 2006 myself.

We would 3 of us - me, wife & kid... the most that I have driven is to Mangalore - via Pune, Kolhapur, Belgaum, Hubli - Haliyal, Kundapura and hv had given the route plan to me.

Cheers
Ditto for me; self, wifey and kid on the trip. Lets see if we can get more along ...can have a good drive and a vacation
Old 15th June 2009, 14:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you to following schedule

Day 1: Leave Mumbai at 4 AM and reach Hoysala Resort between
Hassan and Belur, by night 8 PM. Hoysala is a mid-High end Resort.
You can also try the hotel suggested by HVK.
Day 2: you can visit Belur, Halebidu, Shravanabelagola all three
in one day.
Day 3: you can travel to Madikeri (Coorg) You can visit the
places within Madikeri. if you are comfortabel with homestay then you can go
for it else there are different level hotels/lodges etc.

Day 4: places arround Madikeri, Abbi falls, Irupu falls, Tibetian village,
Tala-Kaveri etc

further you can decide.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 21:08   #8
ada
BHPian

Quote:
hvkumar -- If you are a very fast driver, you can reach Coorg directly on the same day, else you can take a halt at Hassan.
That would be fast but unsafe. 1100 kms in a single day would be too fast wouldn't it. Whatever the quality of road, at the most I would suggest not more then 600 to 700 kms per day.

Silverwheel -- Welcome to team-bhp
ada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 17:28   #9

Thank you all, Starvegabond has a great Idea and I am sold, for now . Planning for a break at Hassan to have a look around and then proceed to Coorg.
Old 18th June 2009, 13:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all, Starvegabond has a great Idea and I am sold, for now . Planning for a break at Hassan to have a look around and then proceed to Coorg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Hey Silverwheel

Cheers
November is a good time to visit Coorg. The rains would be over and it would be cold winds,fog and mist that will keep you company. If you need any help in Coorg with regards to stay,food,sightseeing or anything else in general please do let me know.
princezahed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 19:54   #11

Thanks Pricezahed, any homestays you recommend. i could figure a few on Mhindra homestays; first hand info will help.
Old 19th June 2009, 23:05   #12
BHPian

Welcome to TBHP, silverwheel! Why dont you check '52 weekend breaks from Bangalore' from Outlook. It has detailed info on Coorg. Quite a few homestays are listed. I have found this book most useful and they seem to have a fairly unbiased (but brief) writeup on good hotels/homestays.
And do not miss the Tibetian village.
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 23:34   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Please realize that when Mr Kumar says very fast driver - it means not for the average mortal/car - he has high standards.

And i dont just mean speeds - i'm sure he implies less breaks etc (not too feasible in your scenario!)
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 23:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi silverwheel, welcome to team BHP. I have done Mumbai-Coorg over two days, and it's a lovely lovely drive if you take it easy and decide to enjoy the road.
Day 1: Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Hubli - then take the coastal road - the famous KARWAR belt...
It's one of the most enjoyable roads to drive on, verdant greenery and mountains on one side, and the Arabian sea on the other .
We did a night halt at MURUDESHWAR - a coastal town near Gokarna. Stay at the RNS resort. - we had a room overlooking the sea, believe me, at night as the waves lap your balcony, you feel as though you are on a ship !
Visit the Shiva temple with the giant Shiva Murti early next morning, take in the folk lore, and head out.
You'll reach Madikeri (Kodagu) via Mangalore, by 3 pm latest.
Enjoy the drive buddy !
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2009, 15:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Pricezahed, any homestays you recommend. i could figure a few on Mhindra homestays; first hand info will help.
Mahindra stays are just hyped. Nothing great about most of them. Have sent you a PM.
princezahed is offline   Reply With Quote