Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2015, 13:37   #16
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,598 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Germalam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Will be driving to Wild Valley with some friends on the coming weekend. Much appreciate guidance on the safest, well paved road to take.
You dont have a choice but to go via T-Narasipura - Chamarajanagar and then dirvert to SH at Hassanur for Germalem. All this because the bridge at Kollegal is closed.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015, 13:37   #17
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,823
Thanked: 4,771 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Germalam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Will be driving to Wild Valley with some friends on the coming weekend. Much appreciate guidance on the safest, well paved road to take.
The bridge over River Cauvery at Shivansamudra is closed so you can detour via T Narasipura. I think the following are 2 options:
1. Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-T Narasipura-Chamarajangar-Germalam (this is just before the Dhimbam ghat road descent begins). Not many break options, can try Nijaguna at Chamarajanagar.
2. Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjanagoodu-Chamarajanagar-Germalam. More food/break options on Bangalore-Mysore road.

Alternative, longer route would be on NH 7 upto Salem, then NH 47 upto Chithode, then turn towards Gobichettypalalam, Sathyamangalam and climb the Dhimban ghats and then turn to Germalam after ascending the ghats.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 07:32   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,944
Thanked: 1,626 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Germalam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-T Narasipura-Chamarajangar-Germalam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You dont have a choice but to go via T-Narasipura - Chamarajanagar and then dirvert to SH at Hassanur for Germalem.
Gentlemen, Thank you for your prompt response. A little more detail on points, on google maps will help. Maps still suggest going via Kollegal, which is odd. I am going to follow the directions you suggest.

After Malavalli or Marehalli, there appears to to two approaches I can take to reach T Narsipura. One via Saraguru, Madapura and the other not so direct route via SH33 and then SH84, via Hora Halli. Which one do you suggest?

T Narsipura to Chamarajanagar. While its pretty straight forward, a section on gmaps does indicate a road but not coloured yellow. Is this the road to take?
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 07:51   #19
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,598 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Germalam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Gentlemen, Thank you for your prompt response. A little more detail on points, on google maps will help. Maps still suggest going via Kollegal, which is odd. I am going to follow the directions you suggest.
Here you go. See this link:

Route Link

More references:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3648297
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 08:46   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,944
Thanked: 1,626 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Germalam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Here you go. See this link
Most useful. Your map suggests I go into Malavalli Town instead of taking that short cut visible on the map.

The route you have plotted from Malavalli to T Narsipura is totally different from what gmaps suggestion.

Thank you.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 08:50   #21
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,598 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Germalam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Most useful. Your map suggests I go into Malavalli Town instead of taking that short cut visible on the map.

The route you have plotted from Malavalli to T Narsipura is totally different from what gmaps suggestion.

Thank you.
Sandeep,

A small error on my part.

- You get into Malavalli town.
- Take the SH33 and then turn to Purigali.


See the modified link. (And sorry for the error)

Route Link

Last edited by ampere : 7th April 2015 at 08:51.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 08:59   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 586 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Germalam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
After Malavalli or Marehalli, there appears to to two approaches I can take to reach T Narsipura. One via Saraguru, Madapura and the other not so direct route via SH33 and then SH84, via Hora Halli. Which one do you suggest?
Don't even touch the 2nd option (SH33/SH84). Lots of road work on that route, and a small bridge under construction on SH84 will force you to take a 2 km detour through non-existent roads (more like driving in a field)

The first option is what Ampere has marked in the GM route he has posted. But even that has bad roads in the Saraguru-Sosale section. See my suggestion below for 2 routes that have much better surface overall.

Quote:
T Narsipura to Chamarajanagar. While its pretty straight forward, a section on gmaps does indicate a road but not coloured yellow. Is this the road to take?
I suppose you're referring to the section between Muguru and Santhamarahalli ? Nothing to worry about it - it has excellent tarmac, probably a better surface than the NH212 section from T.Narsipur to Muguru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Here you go. See this link:

Route Link
The route above takes you through the Saraguru/Sosale road which is very rough for some 3-4 kms. A better option is :

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Be...!4e1!3e0?hl=en

When I travelled that way this weekend found that there was road relaying operation in progress for about 0.5 to 1 km immediately on entering the Malavalli-Purigaali road. Almost 80% of the road width was dug up leaving only a narrow (about 4-5 meters) dirt track for vehicles to pass - creating quite a bit of congestion when there are vehicles coming in both directions. Till that is complete (May take 10-15 days I would think), taking the Malavalli-Muttanahalli-Saraguru route shown below may be better. It has about 3kms of somewhat broken roads just before reaching Muttanahalli, but no major potholes and traversable by any sedan, and should be faster than the Marehalli lake route above (especially since the distance is shorter by about 3 kms)

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Be...!4e1!3e0?hl=en
kala is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 09:43   #23
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,717
Thanked: 3,302 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Germalam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
When I travelled that way this weekend found that there was road relaying operation in progress for about 0.5 to 1 km immediately on entering the Malavalli-Purigaali road.
Any idea on condition of this road?
Link

Since this is a straight forward deviation, just before the bridge and also since there are tourism department signage's at junctions for Talakkad if the road surface is good this may be an easier option to take. However, the last I traveled on this route was some 3 years back. Road condition was acceptable then. No idea of the current situation.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 10:11   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 586 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Germalam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Any idea on condition of this road?
Link

Since this is a straight forward deviation, just before the bridge and also since there are tourism department signage's at junctions for Talakkad if the road surface is good this may be an easier option to take. However, the last I traveled on this route was some 3 years back. Road condition was acceptable then. No idea of the current situation.
I havent tried out the Shivanasamudram bridge to Belakavadi stretch of the route you have marked, but have tried the rest of it - though it was about 3-4 months ago. So the conditions described below are what existed then - could have changed now.

I never tried the road from the bridge because there's another road to get to Belakavadi from NH209 (the one going directly north from Belakavadi) which is quite decent condition, and that is way shorter than going via Shivanasamudram.

The straight road from Belakavadi to Muttanahalli was being relaid and did not have a coat of tar as of then - so that stretch of about 8 or 9 kms was a pretty rough drive.

The alternate road from Belakavadi to Talakad (The left turn at Belakavadi when you're coming from Shivanasamudram side) was very good most of the way except for may be 1 to 2 kms of rough stretches here and there.

Never tried these again since these routes are all longer by at least 7-8 kms, and the Marenahalli Lake-Purigaali-Talakad-T.Narsipur was quite good all through. (At least till last weekend when I found that they had started some roadwork on the Malavalli end of the road). So for the past 3-4 months I have always been taking that road only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- You get into Malavalli town.
- Take the SH33 and then turn to Purigali.

See the modified link. (And sorry for the error)

Route Link
I've never tried this one. Is it in good shape ? Have they completed the roadwork on Bannur road till at least till Sujjaluru (the point where your route turns off towards Purigaali) ?

Even if you take that road to Purigaali (assuming it is good), I would suggest going to T.Narsipur from there via Talakad rather than Sosale in spite of the extra 4-5 kms since those roads are in much better condition and you don't have to contend with the old Cauvery bridge at T.Narsipur which is always a bottleneck (Too narrow for two buses to pass each other)
kala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 10:16   #25
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,598 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Germalam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Most useful. Your map suggests I go into Malavalli Town instead of taking that short cut visible on the map.
The route you have plotted from Malavalli to T Narsipura is totally different from what gmaps suggestion.
Thank you.
Please go with what Kala says. He knows best.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I've never tried this one. Is it in good shape ? Have they completed the roadwork on Bannur road till at least till Sujjaluru (the point where your route turns off towards Purigaali) ?

I will go with what you say. Bannur road never improves. And yes, I think Talakkad bridge makes more sense.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 10:37   #26
Distinguished - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,717
Thanked: 3,302 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Germalam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I am going to follow the directions you suggest.
Can you please let know if you have booked in tents in wild valley, if so does it have attached rest rooms?

Also, I came across few blogs mentioning about cottages in same property. Do you have any details of the same?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
So the conditions described below are what existed then - could have changed now.
Thanks for the update. I am planning to visit BR hills in few weeks, was thinking of driving till the bridge and checking what is the current status (if they have started construction of new bridge) and then taking the right mentioned, hence the query.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 11:09   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,934
Thanked: 1,158 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Germalam

There is a direct route from Kollegal to Geramalam (SH 38). Has anyone tried that route?
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 11:20   #28
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,605
Thanked: 8,598 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Germalam

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
There is a direct route from Kollegal to Geramalam (SH 38). Has anyone tried that route?
Its decent. But it gets worse near the state border. But otherwise good. No shops or food breaks along the road, but for roadside shacks here and there. Also once in the forest, absolutely desolate and extremely high elephant activity.

Last edited by ampere : 7th April 2015 at 11:23.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 11:50   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,944
Thanked: 1,626 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Germalam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Can you please let know if you have booked in tents in wild valley, if so does it have attached rest rooms?
A friend has planned the weekend outing so I do not know about rest rooms inside the tents. Sent him a text about it and waiting for a reply.

After asking route directions multiple times, I am no longer heading to Wild Valley. Heading to Wild Inn Stone cottage in Masinagudi.

Apologies to the folks who took their time to help me with the route planning. I guess I can still rely on it till Chamarajanagar but I guess it is better I stick to Mysore Road as I live in Cox Town.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 12:02   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 586 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Germalam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Heading to Wild Inn Stone cottage in Masinagudi.

Apologies to the folks who took their time to help me with the route planning. I guess I can still rely on it till Chamarajanagar but I guess it is better I stick to Mysore Road as I live in Cox Town.
Road widening work is progressing at a hectic pace between Nanjangud and Gundlupet and reports are that roads are in shambles as of now. (No first hand information since my regular route is the one via Chamarajnagar-Gundlupet)

So please do check out the status of the roads in that sector before deciding to go via Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet. If work is still in progress, better to go via Malavalli-Chamarajnagar-Gundlupet even if your destination is Masinagudi.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weekend Travelogue: Bangalore - Lepakshi - Bangalore akroy Travelogues 27 2nd July 2010 19:24
Bangalore-Nagpur-Bangalore tsk1979 Travelogues 16 1st August 2007 14:10
My diwali long weekend trip : Bangalore - Ooty - Coimbatore - Sathy - Bangalore marutiblr Travelogues 6 11th March 2007 18:45
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore Road Trip haikvr Route / Travel Queries 3 16th August 2006 16:20
Bangalore - Calicut - Bangalore, Crv 3.5 k kms Jaggu Travelogues 10 23rd April 2005 11:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:37.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks