Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 29th April 2014, 00:27   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Madurai - Kodaikanal - Bangalore (Route Query)

I returned last week to Bangalore from a 6-day trip to Madurai, Kodai, Chennai. Here's a quick report:

Bangalore - Madurai:
Route: Hosur, Krishnagiri, Salem, Namakkal, Karur, Dindigul. The route was great throughout, except for 2-lane and congested roads for the last ~10 km at the Madurai end.
I left Bangalore (HSR) at 7.45 am and reached Madurai (North Gate hotel) at 2.45pm with numerous breaks - fuel, food, bio.
The room at North Gate was very spacious - probably the largest I've seen in this category. The bathroom too was big. We stayed one night. The tariff, including taxes, breakfast, and extra bed (for my 12y+ kid) was Rs.3700.

Madurai - Kodai:
Route: Vadipatti, Vathalagundu. The surface was good throughout, except for a few patchy points in the ghat section.
Left North Gate hotel at 9.30am and reached Kodai (Kodai Resort hotel) at 12.45pm.
The "cottage" at Kodai Resort hotel was more like a split-level mini suite, with a nice little living area, and a fairly large private terrace. The bathroom was a bit on the smaller side Food was expensive, but nothing to speak of. The tariff, including taxes, breakfast, extra bed, heater (provided separately on request), + a few meals and room-service coffee/tea etc. came to Rs.13200 for 2 nights. The hotel is very close to the main attractions (coaker's walk, lake, bryant park), yet quite peaceful.

Kodai - Chennai:
This leg wasn't planned. It was a last-minute decision and the longest drive for me (~500km). Fortunately for me and my family, the drive was smooth and shorter that we had expected. We covered the distance in exactly 8 hours, with 2 half-hour breaks. The first part till Vatlagundu took nearly 2 hours, but after that, the drive was much faster. It was election day and that probably helped because there was hardly any traffic, even on the Chengalpet-Tambaram stretch, which I dreaded.
Here's the route I took: http://goo.gl/maps/Yu2JH
Note the bypasses at Dindigul and Trichy. Those really help. Watch out for poor road surface as we approach Trichy... NH45 suddenly deteriorates from superfast highway to really rough stretch of road for a few km. There's a sign announcing that the "toll road ends" just before this stretch, but that didn't prepare me for the required deceleration from 100kmph down to 30 in a few seconds. Luckily, the Baleno handled this well. So did the kids in the back seat. :-)

Chennai (Tambaram) - Bangalore:
The usual route: Manimangalam, Sriperumbudur, Vellore, Krishnagiri, Hosur
I left Tambaram at 9.45am and reached HSR at 3.15pm
kumards is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 12:13   #17
BHPian

Kumar, How is the road condition from Vathalagundu to Kodaikanal. How long did you take for this leg
daisyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2014, 22:48   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyb View Post
Kumar, How is the road condition from Vathalagundu to Kodaikanal. How long did you take for this leg
The surface is pretty good, except for a few, short patchy stretches and some ghat sections where the road was being widened. It took me a little over 2 hours in each direction. The ghat roads make up the bulk (approx 45 km) of this leg.
kumards is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 06:46   #19
BHPian

Hi Kumar, nice trip report. How is the weather like in Kodai? I see online that rains are forecasted.

I plan to drive down tomorrow for the long weekend.
srinath34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 11:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Latest toll charges between Bangalore and Madurai by Car as on 12th September 2014

Bangalore - Madurai - Kodaikanal - Bangalore (Route Query)-bloremdu-toll.jpg
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote