Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 6th July 2009, 23:14   #1
Default Pondicherry....?

Most probably the first time to this place

Anyone with the following information would help.

1) Budget accomodation
2) Places of attracation
3) Any Classics and Vintages and also VW's around this place
4) How's the present climate
5) Where to go after this(On the way to Bangalore)
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 23:33   #2

I too need the same info.

Accommodation can be St James Hotel.
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 09:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Pavan, I will try to answer some of it. One answer to all your queries is to get hold of our TBhp member there "sekaran" he would be able to get you details of classics etc and am sure he would be able to give you good suggestion on accomodation, why dont you PM him.

In terms of attractions in Pondicherry you have the Ashram, Auroville, Chunnambar backwaters, on the way to Pondicherry you could may be visit the Gingee fort (spread over 2 mountains on either side of the highway) and the temple, Ramanashram etc. at Tiruvannamalai.

Alternative you could club a visit to Mahabalipuram and either go back to Bangalore from there or come via Mahabs to Pondicherry.

The climate would be hot and humid since this is not the monsoon time in this side of the peninsula.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 09:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I normally stay at Hotel Annamalai near Jipmer. This is nearer when you enter from Thiruannamalai route from Bangalore.

This would be far if you come in from Mahabalipuram side.

I have heard there are cheap accomodation possible at the ashram.

Srikanth has mentioned most of the attractions. Chunnambar is good, dont miss it.

Shortest route from banagalore I guess is via thiruannamalai. There is a fort at Gingee. But you can chose to drive via kancheepuram, mahabalipuram to pondi.

Else a longer one would be drive to salem from pondi, visit yercaud and come to bangalore.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 10:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have also stayed only at Hotel Annamalai at Pondicherry and have found the food and service very good. I read a very good review, especially the part of having closeness to the beach, of St.James, here at T-BHP.

As of last weeks update, the road thru Thiruannamali and Gingee are still in bad shape. It would be better to take the longer but better route thru the GQ (I am not clear, but check with AKRoy, he has done this route).

And, if you taking your Safari, do you mind carrying a 50liter can to get some petrol for me???
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 10:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
3) Any Classics and Vintages and also VW's around this place
I have seen a couple parked on the roadside on the ECR inside pondy town.

St. James Court is about 4 Km before pondy opposite to Pondicherry University. Rates range from 2k to 4k. Cheaper acco is available around this place.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 10:23   #7

Last year when i had been to pondi i stayed at hotel corbelli, The hotel was good and it is in the main street of the city and walkable distance to the beach, You can also try Hotel Ginger. The rooms at the ashram are cheap but its always booked. For food try the restaurant Chettinad near hotel corbelli very good food.

Red Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 10:30   #8

I visited in Aug 2008.

1. I stayed in Ginger hotel. Good. A/c room was 1500. But the food was not good and costly too. But there are many fine eateries around, so should not be a problem.
2. The usual stuff, Ashram, Auroville etc. But I was disappointed with the so called places of interested (specially Auroville). But still a must visit (to tick all the boxes). The beaches along ECR are good.
3. Out of syllabus :-)
4. It was hot and humid, so a A/c room is a must.
5. On our way back to blr, we drove thru ECR to mahabalipuram. Then to kanchipuram and then took GQ back to blr.
cuttingcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 10:43   #9

Can anyone suggest decent accommodation by the beach? the kind one finds in Goa
royalcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 10:47   #10

Pondy is still quite hot , my friend called last sunday , try to make it a week or two later would be much better .
Places to eat : Anjappar on Bussy street : good chettinad food
Places to Visit :1) Hidesign is manufactured in Pondy , so pick some good wallets and belts from Casa blanca , At Auroform you get good comfortable sandles.
2) Visit Auroville too .
Fortuner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 11:16   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

The Promenade is there with rooms having views to the sea. this is expensive.

In mahabalipuram you'll get many such accomodations - the earlier TTDC resort being one.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 14:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Pavan check my travelogue's

1 - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ast-coast.html (Travelogue : The Newly Weds and their getaway to the East coast.)
2 - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ast-coast.html (Travelogue : Destination anywhere along the East Coast !!)

Kinda covered most of it and what I have missed is the Chunnambar beach,you could read esteem_lover 's travelogue for that. Pretty well covered and in detail.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 7th July 2009 at 14:47.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 15:00   #13

Hotel ashok is good place to stay. if you drive thru ECR road, this resort is before pondy and opposite to pondy enng. colge.
Chk their web site Pondicherry Hotels & Beach Resorts - Ashok Beach Resort in Pondicherry.
very good beach resort, thriling catamaran ride and good food.
VMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 18:56   #14

The Best Stays will cost anywhere from 1500 to 4500 per day. if you want to enjoy the sea breeze, try st.james court resort (manager - mr.iyyapan - 9443252776) which may cost you approx 2000/day. also try hotel ajentha sea view (0413 - 2338898) or hotel athithi (0413 - 2345001) (nearby to sea shore only). Hotel Annamalai - Hotel Sunway GRT Grand - The Promenade - Anandha Inn - Hotel Mass - All these are in 4000/day range but useful for business travellers mostly, not vacationing people.

The Anjappar @ Bussy St, Appachi @ Rangapillai St, Karai @ Indira Gandhi Statue Signal, Rendezvous/Madame Shanthi's both Near The Ajentha Sea View Hotel/Beach Road, are some of the Best Restaurants - Multi Cuisine.
The Hotels i listed above also have good multicuisine restaurants/bar attached.

Reg VW, a doctor friend of mine owns 2 beetles, another french man owns a beetle, some others are also there, in various parts of the city.

The places to Visit - Beach Promenade, Auroville, Ashram, Ganesha Temple, Churches - 2 Nos, Chunnambar Water Sports Venue etc.,. 2 days is more than enough for seeing Pondicherry fully. Sunday Market aka Sunday Bazaar can fetch you cheap goods of all varieties, if you visit on sunday. For Leather items, try the various auroville outlets, more cheaper.

The nearest places of interest are alambare fort - 70 kms from Pondicherry on the ECR to Mahabs, chennai, Mahabalipuram/Mamallapuram, Kanchipuram for Several Architectural Historic Temples, Vedanthangal Bird Sanctuary etc.,. These are on the Pondicherry - Chennai Routes. Also you have The Gingee Fort, on the way to Bangalore via tindivanam, tiruvannamalai route.

if you want any clarifications, just sms or call me on my mobile. always glad to lend a hand. Bye.
shekaran is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 19:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

My advise:

If you are going with family, stay away from St. James.
If with group of friends, you can survive the service and the bad food.

Agreed its close to the beach etc, but with poor service that not going to last long on your vacation.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote