Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 16th July 2009, 08:08   #1
BHPian

Default Weekend trip to Coorg, is it right time?

Hi,
I and a bunch of guys from our office are planning to visit Coorg this weekend and intend to do rafting. I just happened to see in the news that it is raining cats and dogs in Coorg and surrounding areas and Cauvery is flowing above danger mark in a few places. So I wanted to know if it is ok to visit coorg now and do rafting?

We also want to visit Dubare while there and do some light trekking if possible.
Need some updates from you on the situation there.

Thanks,
Zaks
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 09:58   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Hi,
I and a bunch of guys from our office are planning to visit Coorg this weekend and intend to do rafting. I just happened to see in the news that it is raining cats and dogs in Coorg and surrounding areas and Cauvery is flowing above danger mark in a few places. So I wanted to know if it is ok to visit coorg now and do rafting?

We also want to visit Dubare while there and do some light trekking if possible.
Need some updates from you on the situation there.

Thanks,
Zaks
if you enjoy heavy rain which will not stops for days , welcome.
Also no official authority will allow rafting at this point of time
vvvinod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 10:04   #3
BHPian

I would advice against going to Coorg this time of year. If in case you are the kind who sits and reads , it is the greatest time of year since you would not be able to step out to do anything.

But if you want trek , Coorg would not be a good idea since the most trekking that you will do is up and down your bed.
RP_812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 10:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

Well, if you love 4x4 & off-road adventures then no better time than this to go :-)
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 10:09   #5
BHPian

Not unless you have a 4X4 dude...though Im sure the place will be very beautiful in the rains, but plenty of logistic difficulties in getting there and around.
arindambasu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 10:11   #6
BHPian

..but how come the Irpu homestay didn't say anything like this.
Old 16th July 2009, 10:12   #7
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Well, if you love 4x4 & off-road adventures then no better time than this to go :-)
Any plans in coming weekends for adventures trip.
Sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 10:19   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvvinod View Post
if you enjoy heavy rain which will not stops for days , welcome.
Also no official authority will allow rafting at this point of time
As vvvinod rightly mentioned it is the right time if you love rain and enjoy driving in rain. I don't think they are allowing rafting in Dubare this week.
Hemanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 10:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Actually this is one of the best times to vist Coorg or any other place on Western ghats...

Out door activity though wont be much... i personally prefer this season.. chill and relax

Last edited by lohithrao : 16th July 2009 at 10:39.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 10:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would advise you not to go Coorg this time around, it's not just raining heavily, cauvery & every other rivers in Karnataka is flowing in danger levels.Some places in Coorg are not accessible(link cut due to high water level) due to heavy rain. Heard that the rain will be the same for another 4-5 days.Plan a trip in august/september, that's the time when rain is decent , If you OTR driving then that's the best time to do it.

Last edited by sushrutha : 16th July 2009 at 10:48.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 10:35   #11
BHPian

On the irpu homestays : I dont think you need a 4X4 in the kutta/irpu region. But other places in coorg do require a 4X4 in the rains.
On rafting: From my experience in doing rafting in Rishikesh, dont even try if the river is flowing over danger mark.
On trek: in the irpu region you have the brahmagiri trek, but I dont think it is doable in this this time of the year.
Overall: For relaxing (eat,drink,read,sleep) coorg is very good in rains.
cuttingcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 11:31   #12

This time around, rafting will not be allowed in barapole river, etc. Last weekend had been to Thalacauvery on my alto, from kushalnagar till thalacauvery, it was a real pain! but views were breathtaking, full of mist and lashing rains!
FreedomExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 11:31   #13
BHPian

I am slightly confused, some say it not right time and some are saying it is the best time.
We don't want to be indoors and wish to do some hiking/rafting, and I will be taking my car. So are the roads good now to move around or any danger of cutoff/washoff?
Old 16th July 2009, 11:50   #14
BHPian

Todays TOI(7/16) front page showed areas in Madikeri to be flooded . The roads and under water .So doesn't look like a good time to visit now
sandeep3in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 14:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
I am slightly confused, some say it not right time and some are saying it is the best time.
We don't want to be indoors and wish to do some hiking/rafting, and I will be taking my car. So are the roads good now to move around or any danger of cutoff/washoff?
Well being in Coorg right now I can say that it has been raining very heavily. We did not have power since the past 36hrs. Except for talacauvery, all other places of sightseeing can be visited. It is just mist,fog and chilly winds at the moment as I type this message. However if you want to go rafting,trekking or just want to spend some lazy time with ur family/friends in the cottage then it is the best time to come. We have a few bookings at our homestay despite the rains and people dont seem to be complaining too much.
princezahed is offline   Reply With Quote