Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2017, 10:09   #166
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,316
Thanked: 3,657 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Chikmangalur Route/Accommodation Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuraj View Post
Dear all,
I am planning my first visit to chikmangalur

Any help/guidance is appreciated.
Suraj, it is ChikmaGALur - & not ChikmaNgalur
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 19:13   #167
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: KA 18/KA 02
Posts: 388
Thanked: 856 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
I have driven in this road way back in 2008. It is indeed very scenic.
But just wanted to know the conditions of this road at present.
Can't hazard a guess how it was in 2008. I have been using the road since 2010 and apart from degradation of top layer of road at a few places, the road is pretty good. Just be careful around the turns while climbing up the hills after Santhaveri.

The Kadur-Chikkamagaluru road is now part of NH 173 and has been decently patched up too. So, you have the choice of roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Suraj, it is ChikmaGALur - & not ChikmaNgalur
Thanks to Government of Karnataka and the Central Government, it is CHIKKAMAGALURU now, in tune with Bengaluru, Mysuru, Vijayapura etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Tarikere-Lingadahalli-Kaimara-Chikmagalur is good...
It's a scenic route no doubt and will also pass through and small section with Tea estates...
Paragbhai, tea estates? I seem to have missed them in this route. My belief was that Tea estates in Chikkamagaluru district are to be found only in Koppa and Mudigere taluqs.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 20:23   #168
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 3,938
Thanked: 9,241 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Paragbhai, tea estates? I seem to have missed them in this route. My belief was that Tea estates in Chikkamagaluru district are to be found only in Koppa and Mudigere taluqs.
Having spent all my life in this region, I am sure I can differentiate between not just Arabica, Robusta, Kaveri varieties of coffee here but can also identify tea estates

I can assure you that there was a very small patch of tea estates on this Lindgadahalli Route. It could have been an experiment by the owner but for sure it was tea.

Kadur-Chikmagalur route has been excellent since more than 3 years now at least since the legacy concrete road was patched up with asphalt all the way till shoulders on both sides.

Rajesh is quite a regular on this side and with his query he only wanted to check the latest conditions of the Lingadahalli route is what I can understand and am more than just sure he is aware of the usual KM Road via Sakharayapatna.

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th March 2017 at 20:26.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 21:23   #169
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: KA 18/KA 02
Posts: 388
Thanked: 856 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Having spent all my life in this region, I am sure I can differentiate between not just Arabica, Robusta, Kaveri varieties of coffee here but can also identify tea estates
Can't dispute this. One of the reasons I follow your posts is because of your encyclopedic knowledge of places, people and points of interest .

Quote:
I can assure you that there was a very small patch of tea estates on this Lindgadahalli Route. It could have been an experiment by the owner but for sure it was tea.
Quite likely. I tend to miss the details of the surroundings very often. Must have missed this small patch.

Quote:
Kadur-Chikmagalur route has been excellent since more than 3 years now at least since the legacy concrete road was patched up with asphalt all the way till shoulders on both sides.
This is a regular route for me too. Till about January this year, there were a lot of potholes and broken patches, especially near the edges of the road, so much so that sitting in the last row seats of a KSRTC bus or the third row of Ertiga was a big NO for me.

The repair work was a bit eccentric. The potholes which were filled up in the morning would shockingly be dug up again by evening. Driving back from Kadur to Chikkamagaluru at around 7 in night was a bit of gamble for us.

Covered the same stretch last Thursday and the road was back to being pretty good. Hence my comment.

Quote:
Rajesh is quite a regular on this side...
Sorry, I wasn't aware of this fact.
dailydriver is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 22:01   #170
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,316
Thanked: 3,657 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Thanks to Government of Karnataka and the Central Government, it is CHIKKAMAGALURU now, in tune with Bengaluru, Mysuru, Vijayapura etc.
No, this is nothing to do with re-naming of cities by various governments.

Chikmagalur or Chikkamagaluru is a twin of Hiremagalur. Both are adjacent to each other. However, Chikmagalur developed into a larger place.

Anyway, you are not the only one to mix up Chikmagalur / Chikkamagaluru with Mangalore/ Mangaluru.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 22:23   #171
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 3,938
Thanked: 9,241 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Am sure Dailidriver meant that "Chikmagalur" became "Chikkamagaluru" when the renaming thing happened to many towns and cities in Karnataka. DD can't go wrong there having spent good years teaching to be students in Chikmagalur .

And when it comes to Chimmagalur and Chikmangalur/Chikmangalore, not so long ago, there was a popular cloth show room here on MG Road that always printed it as Chikmangalore on its Bags .
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 22:48   #172
BHPian
 
Rajesh K R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 302
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
.....This is a regular route for me too. Till about January this year, there were a lot of potholes and broken patches, especially near the edges of the road, so much so that sitting in the last row seats of a KSRTC bus or the third row of Ertiga was a big NO for me.

The repair work was a bit eccentric. The potholes which were filled up in the morning would shockingly be dug up again by evening. Driving back from Kadur to Chikkamagaluru at around 7 in night was a bit of gamble for us.

Covered the same stretch last Thursday and the road was back to being pretty good. Hence my comment.

Sorry, I wasn't aware of this fact.
This stretch was very beautiful to drive with very few vehicles then way back in 2008. My trips to Shimoga / Thirthahalli became very few and on couple of occassions had to travel with extended family taking a TT or a minibus and hence sticking to the NH 206/NH 13 combo.

But an occassion is coming up shortly - which may warrant a visit to Thirthahalli - so just for fun wanted to try this route on our return.. Have to touch Hassan on the way back to BLR. I will be driving a XYLO.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 9th May 2017 at 09:21. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Rajesh K R is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 23:40   #173
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: KA 18/KA 02
Posts: 388
Thanked: 856 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
No, this is nothing to do with re-naming of cities by various governments. Chikmagalur or Chikkamagaluru is a twin of Hiremagalur. Both are adjacent to each other. However, Chikmagalur developed into a larger place.Anyway, you are not the only one to mix up Chikmagalur / Chikkamagaluru with Mangalore/ Mangaluru.
I was talking of the changed spelling and pronunciation, while your reference seems to have been on the magalur and mangalur part.

Even today, when I tell some elderly rural folks that I live in Chikkamagaluru, they ask me whether the beaches are beautiful there . This is because the present Mangaluru/Mangalore was earlier colloquially referred to as Doddamangaluru and as a corollary Chikmagalur was mistakenly pronounced as Chikkamangaluru. Shops and establishments, general public and even a few government enterprises have been guilty of printing Chikkamangaluru on their boards and bill books, wedding cards and even bus tickets.

As you have rightly pointed out, Chikkamagaluru (Younger daughter's place)-Hiremagaluru (Elder daughter's place) are the correct twins and not Doddamangaluru-Chikkamangaluru.

OT: Future visitors to Chikkamagaluru, please pay a visit to the Kodandaramaswamy temple in Hiremagaluru. It is one of those rare places where pooja is performed entirely in Kannada. Even if you cannot understand the language, you will witness a silent democratisation of religion and spirituality at this place. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodandarama_Temple
dailydriver is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2017, 22:53   #174
BHPian
 
iamnarayang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 67
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Hello all,

I am planning a trip with my family to Chikkamagaluru on May 6th. Google map shows Three Routes to Chikkamagaluru from Bangalore.
1. Via Kunigal, Hasan, Belur
2. Via Tumkur, Tiptur, Arsikere
3. Via Hiriyur, Hosadurga,...

Please suggest which is the best route, in terms of traffic and road conditions.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Narayan.

Last edited by iamnarayang : 28th April 2017 at 23:16.
iamnarayang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 00:40   #175
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,583
Thanked: 4,287 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
Please suggest which is the best route, in terms of traffic and road conditions.
Take #1 via Hassan, Belur. By far the best route.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 09:25   #176
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: KA 18/KA 02
Posts: 388
Thanked: 856 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
1. Via Kunigal, Hasan, Belur
2. Via Tumkur, Tiptur, Arsikere
3. Via Hiriyur, Hosadurga,...
Agree with NPV. Route #1 is the best and the most practical option. But for the last part after Sakharayapattana, Route #2 is also fine. Route #3 baffles me to no end. It isn't a viable route to Chikkamagaluru and is seldom taken.
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 12:21   #177
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,017
Thanked: 4,197 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
Hello all,

I am planning a trip with my family to Chikkamagaluru on May 6th. Google map shows Three Routes to Chikkamagaluru from Bangalore.
1. Via Kunigal, Hasan, Belur
2. Via Tumkur, Tiptur, Arsikere
3. Via Hiriyur, Hosadurga,...

Please suggest which is the best route, in terms of traffic and road conditions.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Narayan.
In addition to what NPV and dailydriver said, route 2 is not tolled and split which means you cant do good speeds consistently. However it will be good for those who want to enjoy frequent acceleration and braking. Route 1 is my choice since it allows you to cover a good distance on split and tolled roads, on which you can maintain a good pace and good FE too for the slower drivers After Hassan the roads are good but not split and there are some speed breakers too. However, since majority of the distance is already done, this doesnt seem to long. Saying this from my perspective, but people like Parag, Daily driver do this route more frequently than me.
audioholic is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 14:02   #178
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: KA 18/KA 02
Posts: 388
Thanked: 856 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Hassan-Beluru-Chikkamagaluru road is not butter smooth but as a lot of Bhpians who have driven on this route will agree, is not bad either. Can be covered in 50-90 minutes depending on your driving style. I usually take around 75 minutes to cover the 57 kms.

Speaking off topic, the last part of the second route (after Sakharayapttana) suggested by Google maps was a revelation to me. Had heard of this narrow, single lane way, but never knew that it would connect ultimately to the Lingadahalli road.

https://goo.gl/maps/6BCJk2haBox

Has anyone driven through this route?
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 15:15   #179
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bombay/Belgaum
Posts: 244
Thanked: 442 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Hassan-Beluru-Chikkamagaluru road is not butter smooth but as a lot of Bhpians who have driven on this route will agree, is not bad either. Can be covered in 50-90 minutes depending on your driving style. I usually take around 75 minutes to cover the 57 kms.
Agree with you. I drove from Hassan to Chikkamagaluru recently and took exactly 60 mins. On the way back at night, I took 75 minutes. At some places the road is too patchy and there are few potholes here and there but nothing to complain as such. Overall the road is decent, though looks like there has been no maintenance of this road.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017, 19:06   #180
BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 755
Thanked: 567 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Chikmagalur - Best Route & Road Status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post

Speaking off topic, the last part of the second route (after Sakharayapttana) suggested by Google maps was a revelation to me. Had heard of this narrow, single lane way, but never knew that it would connect ultimately to the Lingadahalli road.

https://goo.gl/maps/6BCJk2haBox

Has anyone driven through this route?
I have taken this route twice , both times while going towards the small temple town of Belagur from my colleague's estate near Mallenahalli. The turn off to this road is around 2km after Mallenahalli. There is an arch at the beginning of the road telling you about the Subramanya temple.
The road is fairly good for most of the part and passes besides the beautiful Ayyanakere. Road was completely deserted both the times but that could also be because of the fact that I did this stretch in the morning between 7-8. There are not much human settlements for most of the part apart from a few small villages. The last stretch as you join the Kadur road was very bad last time around. Some XL sized potholes were there.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NH207: Road Status and Route Details asdon Route / Travel Queries 137 22nd August 2016 16:08
Siliguri to Guwahati route status sumitkalindi Route / Travel Queries 12 7th September 2011 10:32
Road trip -Bangalore, Mysore, Sidhapura, Coorg, Chikmagalur, Shimoga, Mangalore & Goa Surhea Route / Travel Queries 2 11th November 2009 13:58
best gear oil & best coolant & best engine decarb: please cyneverdie Technical Stuff 7 19th October 2007 03:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks