Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 29th July 2013, 10:14   #61

Default Re: Cooking in the wilderness, what kind of stove?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Thanks for the info, thought the price due to better quality . However, what is the fuel used for that?
Multi-fuel. Including petrol and kerosene.

I just bought an MSR Whistperlite International. This is a super light and awesome stove. It weighs less than a kg including the fuel (have 16 oz canister). And gives almost two hours of flame time. Enough to feed a battalion of hungry folks.

And it packs to less than a handball size.

Costed me about $125 including taxes, etc (for fuel bottle included). But on Amazon, think you should be able to get it for about $80 just for the stove.

Frankly, after years of back country camping experiences, including using wood, or hauling stoves, this is super cool experience with MSR Whisperlite stove.
bent_gate is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 20:35   #62
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Hi

reviving a old thread, though most of you would have found many/better options!

I was planning to buy a kerosene stove, which are available in shops for Rs200-600 range, depending on quality and tank size. Then comes availability of kerosene, plus the hassles of carrying all the stuff.

Y'day found few shops in my area (maybe I didnt notice all these days!), and came across the LPG stove option. The unbranded one costs about 1000-1400.

Also available : PKL Kabsons still makes "ISI" LPG gas stoves :
http://www.pkl.co.in//product/CLIX_COOK_TOP.aspx

Based on the my inquiry - price for the complete set, including plate & 2kg cylinder: ~ Rs.2000 (1 yr warranty). If the cylinder is returned back, get back ~ Rs.1000 ! (approx mentioned bcoz of marginal cost difference between two closeby shops!). He showed high confidence that no worries even if traveling with it.

refill cylinder cost ~ Rs.350, which they assured wide availability across India.

Also their site mentions another smaller option:
http://www.pkl.co.in//product/CARTRI..._1_BURNER.aspx

many years back I had one of these, had used few times, but ultimately gave-off to a helper as stuff wasnt used and was occupying space

Now, Im planning to buy it.

Last edited by pcpranav : 27th April 2015 at 20:39.
pcpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 02:15   #63
BHPian

Thanks for reviving this thread. Has anyone found any alternatives, like isopropane/butane gas canisters? I am currently looking at MSR Dragonfly that works on kerosene, but would definitely prefer a gas based solution.

Cheers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Hi

reviving a old thread, though most of you would have found many/better options!
Also available : PKL Kabsons still makes "ISI" LPG gas stoves :
http://www.pkl.co.in//product/CLIX_COOK_TOP.aspx

Based on the my inquiry - price for the complete set, including plate & 2kg cylinder: ~ Rs.2000 (1 yr warranty). If the cylinder is returned back, get back ~ Rs.1000 ! (approx mentioned bcoz of marginal cost difference between two closeby shops!). He showed high confidence that no worries even if traveling with it.

refill cylinder cost ~ Rs.350, which they assured wide availability across India.

Also their site mentions another smaller option:
http://www.pkl.co.in//product/CARTRI..._1_BURNER.aspx

many years back I had one of these, had used few times, but ultimately gave-off to a helper as stuff wasnt used and was occupying space

Now, Im planning to buy it.
arao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 11:26   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arao View Post
Thanks for reviving this thread. Has anyone found any alternatives, like isopropane/butane gas canisters? I am currently looking at MSR Dragonfly that works on kerosene, but would definitely prefer a gas based solution.

Cheers,
Well AFAIK what we call as LPG in India is actually Butane and Iso-propane mixture and called by right name outside India so you can safely use ISI mark small LPG cylinder + burner fitted for all such applications where Butane / propane is recommended.

http://www.total.co.in/lpg-b2c/know-...ification.html
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 14:02   #65
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arao View Post

Cheers,
I did purchase this Clix stove (lpg based) in Rs.1950, but hardly used on my trip. across highways of many states, I have just seen many shops selling the lpg replacement cylinder - 2 KG to 5 KG; so availability shouldnt be a concern. ofcourse, this setup is bit bulky and heavy.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2015, 10:43   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
I did purchase this Clix stove (lpg based) in Rs.1950, but hardly used on my trip. across highways of many states, I have just seen many shops selling the lpg replacement cylinder - 2 KG to 5 KG; so availability shouldnt be a concern. ofcourse, this setup is bit bulky and heavy.
Here's another product that works on rice husk pellets. It is also quite bulky, even more than the LPG cylinders.
http://ndmi.co.in/Agni%20Star.html

Looks like LPG cylinders is the way to go.
arao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2015, 13:10   #67
BHPian

I used a 2 concentric local stainless steel cylinder with holes at bottom and top with collected firewood to cook. Nothing fancy and easy to carry. Setback 200rs that too i didnt have 3/4" bit else that too would have been saved

Last edited by Ushuaia : 5th December 2015 at 13:11.
Ushuaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 12:35   #68
BHPian

If cooking noodles and boiling water is the purpose - wouldn't a car electric kettle suffice?
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote