Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 29th July 2013, 10:14   #61

Default Re: Cooking in the wilderness, what kind of stove?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Thanks for the info, thought the price due to better quality . However, what is the fuel used for that?
Multi-fuel. Including petrol and kerosene.

I just bought an MSR Whistperlite International. This is a super light and awesome stove. It weighs less than a kg including the fuel (have 16 oz canister). And gives almost two hours of flame time. Enough to feed a battalion of hungry folks.

And it packs to less than a handball size.

Costed me about $125 including taxes, etc (for fuel bottle included). But on Amazon, think you should be able to get it for about $80 just for the stove.

Frankly, after years of back country camping experiences, including using wood, or hauling stoves, this is super cool experience with MSR Whisperlite stove.
bent_gate is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 20:35   #62
BHPian

Hi

reviving a old thread, though most of you would have found many/better options!

I was planning to buy a kerosene stove, which are available in shops for Rs200-600 range, depending on quality and tank size. Then comes availability of kerosene, plus the hassles of carrying all the stuff.

Y'day found few shops in my area (maybe I didnt notice all these days!), and came across the LPG stove option. The unbranded one costs about 1000-1400.

Also available : PKL Kabsons still makes "ISI" LPG gas stoves :
http://www.pkl.co.in//product/CLIX_COOK_TOP.aspx

Based on the my inquiry - price for the complete set, including plate & 2kg cylinder: ~ Rs.2000 (1 yr warranty). If the cylinder is returned back, get back ~ Rs.1000 ! (approx mentioned bcoz of marginal cost difference between two closeby shops!). He showed high confidence that no worries even if traveling with it.

refill cylinder cost ~ Rs.350, which they assured wide availability across India.

Also their site mentions another smaller option:
http://www.pkl.co.in//product/CARTRI..._1_BURNER.aspx

many years back I had one of these, had used few times, but ultimately gave-off to a helper as stuff wasnt used and was occupying space

Now, Im planning to buy it.

Last edited by pcpranav : 27th April 2015 at 20:39.
pcpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 02:15   #63
BHPian

Thanks for reviving this thread. Has anyone found any alternatives, like isopropane/butane gas canisters? I am currently looking at MSR Dragonfly that works on kerosene, but would definitely prefer a gas based solution.

Cheers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Hi

reviving a old thread, though most of you would have found many/better options!
Also available : PKL Kabsons still makes "ISI" LPG gas stoves :
http://www.pkl.co.in//product/CLIX_COOK_TOP.aspx

Based on the my inquiry - price for the complete set, including plate & 2kg cylinder: ~ Rs.2000 (1 yr warranty). If the cylinder is returned back, get back ~ Rs.1000 ! (approx mentioned bcoz of marginal cost difference between two closeby shops!). He showed high confidence that no worries even if traveling with it.

refill cylinder cost ~ Rs.350, which they assured wide availability across India.

Also their site mentions another smaller option:
http://www.pkl.co.in//product/CARTRI..._1_BURNER.aspx

many years back I had one of these, had used few times, but ultimately gave-off to a helper as stuff wasnt used and was occupying space

Now, Im planning to buy it.
arao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 11:26   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arao View Post
Thanks for reviving this thread. Has anyone found any alternatives, like isopropane/butane gas canisters? I am currently looking at MSR Dragonfly that works on kerosene, but would definitely prefer a gas based solution.

Cheers,
Well AFAIK what we call as LPG in India is actually Butane and Iso-propane mixture and called by right name outside India so you can safely use ISI mark small LPG cylinder + burner fitted for all such applications where Butane / propane is recommended.

http://www.total.co.in/lpg-b2c/know-...ification.html
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 14:02   #65
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers,
I did purchase this Clix stove (lpg based) in Rs.1950, but hardly used on my trip. across highways of many states, I have just seen many shops selling the lpg replacement cylinder - 2 KG to 5 KG; so availability shouldnt be a concern. ofcourse, this setup is bit bulky and heavy.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2015, 10:43   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
I did purchase this Clix stove (lpg based) in Rs.1950, but hardly used on my trip. across highways of many states, I have just seen many shops selling the lpg replacement cylinder - 2 KG to 5 KG; so availability shouldnt be a concern. ofcourse, this setup is bit bulky and heavy.
Here's another product that works on rice husk pellets. It is also quite bulky, even more than the LPG cylinders.
http://ndmi.co.in/Agni%20Star.html

Looks like LPG cylinders is the way to go.
Old 5th December 2015, 13:10   #67
BHPian

I used a 2 concentric local stainless steel cylinder with holes at bottom and top with collected firewood to cook. Nothing fancy and easy to carry. Setback 200rs that too i didnt have 3/4" bit else that too would have been saved

Last edited by Ushuaia : 5th December 2015 at 13:11.
Ushuaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 12:35   #68
BHPian

If cooking noodles and boiling water is the purpose - wouldn't a car electric kettle suffice?
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 15:17   #69
BHPian

Well I went through this thread and I am surprised that noone mentioned about Butane Stoves. Here in Gangtok its readily available - The stove costs from 800 to 1500 Rs ( A one time investment) and it folds into a small size say 2 Frooti tetrapack Size and then the Butane Tank Costs 750 Rs for the larger one (3-4 hours of burn time) (About the size of a big 1 litre tetra pack- use and discard it- non refillable) . Easy to carry, safe and trusted to light up in high altitudes etc.
Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 15:23   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_MNC_SK View Post
Well I went through this thread and I am surprised that noone mentioned about Butane Stoves. Here in Gangtok its readily available - The stove costs from 800 to 1500 Rs ( A one time investment) and it folds into a small size say 2 Frooti tetrapack Size and then the Butane Tank Costs 750 Rs for the larger one (3-4 hours of burn time) (About the size of a big 1 litre tetra pack- use and discard it- non refillable) . Easy to carry, safe and trusted to light up in high altitudes etc.
Thanks! Can you please post a picture of the stove and the cylinder?
Old 14th February 2017, 15:28   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Can you please post a picture of the stove and the cylinder?
Like this.
Name:  images.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  14.2 KB

This is sourced from internet hence I deleted the brand. Cylinders come with its own lid and carry handle, Stove can be folded up and kept in a provided PVC Case.
Dr_MNC_SK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 17:45   #72
BHPian

Thanks so much. I have been looking for this stuff for a long time - isopropane/isobutane cylinders. Please let me know the link on the internet where I can order it from.

I have a similar stove, from snowpeak. Quite compact.

Quote:
Like this.
Attachment 1608335

This is sourced from internet hence I deleted the brand. Cylinders come with its own lid and carry handle, Stove can be folded up and kept in a provided PVC Case.
Old 14th February 2017, 18:25   #73
BHPian

Name:  IMG_2676.JPG
Views: 332
Size:  7.7 KB

I am using this since many years. Works on multiple fuels, kerosene, diesel, white kerosene etc. Don't remember the brand, got it for 6k from Mountain Sports Academy in Mumbai.

On approx 700-800ml of kerosene it can go on for atleast 2 days, cooking for 3-4 people.
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 11:37   #74
BHPian

Quote:
I've found it really difficult to get my hands on butane canisters in Mumbai. I even tried finding them online but the supply is very erratic. I bought one of those butane stoves off of eBay but I never got a chance to use it so gave it away. Instead I use a mini LPG stove during car camping and a tiny solid fuel stove for when I'm on foot. It's good enough to make tea and warm some water for instant food.

This is my car camping setup now.

Cooking in the wilderness, what kind of stove?-dsc_0082.jpg

Quote:
Thanks so much. I have been looking for this stuff for a long time - isopropane/isobutane cylinders. Please let me know the link on the internet where I can order it from.

I have a similar stove, from snowpeak. Quite compact.
Found one on Amazon and luckily it's available right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Attachment 1608417

I am using this since many years. Works on multiple fuels, kerosene, diesel, white kerosene etc. Don't remember the brand, got it for 6k from Mountain Sports Academy in Mumbai.

On approx 700-800ml of kerosene it can go on for atleast 2 days, cooking for 3-4 people.
Is that a pressurised bottle or can it be refilled? Can you share a link to this stove, please?
911er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 14:40   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911er View Post

Is that a pressurised bottle or can it be refilled? Can you share a link to this stove, please?
Yes it can be refilled. Works just like a stove. Fill it shut it and pressurise it. I do not have any link as I bought it from Mountain Sports Academy shop based in Borivli. Search for their FB page and contact its owner Nandu Chavan. In case of no stock, there are similar ones available off aliexpress but then ordering it from aliexpress becomes a gamble.
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote