Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 25th April 2011, 11:58   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Chennai to Kanakapura: Avoiding Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I have the GPS log. I still have to edit it. Will do so and post it. How good is the Anchetty -Denkanikottai road? I saw that a lot vehicles from Bangalore take this road nowadays to reach Hogenakkal. In fact, the Hogenakkal-Anchetty-Denkanikottai-Hosur road is known as 'Bangalore Road' in Hogenakkal. It was 140 kms from Hogenakkal to Rajarajeshwarinagar via Anchetty-Kanakapura. The green patch was great, but it was overgrown with the lantana shrubs
When I went last it was very good, but 5-6 km were back-breaking! Real bad. A 4x4 case.
Not sure if they have fixed it now. But the rest of the section amazing to drive in the morning breeze.

But am not sure if that is the road, which vehicles take for Hogenakkal (the one via Anchetty). It may be the old Dharmapuri SH from Hosur instead. Because, there was hardly any traffic on Denkannikottai-Anchetty road.

The one which has lot of traffic is the Hosur-Rayakottai-Indur (where you meet the Dharmapuri-Pennagaram SH). Are you referring to this one?

Or the other thought is that, folks may be referring to:

Dekannikottai-Anekal-Bannerghatta section as the Bangalore road.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 12:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
When I went last it was very good, but 5-6 km were back-breaking! Real bad. A 4x4 case.
Not sure if they have fixed it now. But the rest of the section amazing to drive in the morning breeze.

But am not sure if that is the road, which vehicles take for Hogenakkal (the one via Anchetty). It may be the old Dharmapuri SH from Hosur instead. Because, there was hardly any traffic on Denkannikottai-Anchetty road.

The one which has lot of traffic is the Hosur-Rayakottai-Indur (where you meet the Dharmapuri-Pennagaram SH). Are you referring to this one?

Or the other thought is that, folks may be referring to:

Dekannikottai-Anekal-Bannerghatta section as the Bangalore road.
I guess that 5-6 kms of bad roads has deteriorated further and has extended for a couple more kms. The road is still good for most of the distance, but has a lot of potholes and broken stretches now. The Bangalore road I was referring to was atleast till Anchetty where I deviated towards Kanakapura. I saw boards showing Bangalore road on the Anchetty road in Hogenakkal. I saw a lot of Bangalore Registered cars on this road. Don't know what route they took after Anchetty.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 12:28   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I guess that 5-6 kms of bad roads has deteriorated further and has extended for a couple more kms. The road is still good for most of the distance, but has a lot of potholes and broken stretches now. The Bangalore road I was referring to was atleast till Anchetty where I deviated towards Kanakapura. I saw boards showing Bangalore road on the Anchetty road in Hogenakkal. I saw a lot of Bangalore Registered cars on this road. Don't know what route they took after Anchetty.
So it has deteriorated further! But Yes Kenneth Anderson, has eye for places!
Amazing vistas all around.

As per what you say,I am now very sure, the Bangalore road would be the same what I had mentioned earlier:

Hogenakkal-Anchetty-Denkannikottai-Anekal-Bannerghatta.
Old 4th May 2011, 00:05   #19

Quote:
That is good news.

There was 5-6 km of real bad track in between. Rest was actually a very good road. Is this the section which is being re-laid?

Also are you referring to the route that goes via Hogenakkal or is there another route, which directly hits Pennagaram, by-passing Hogenakkal. If there is one, I do not recollect spotting this one.

But a very scenic route indeed!
I am not referring to the route that directly hits pennagaram. Infact that route is claimed to be non-motoroble due to some broken bridges. Iam referring to the route that goes from Anchetty to Hogenakkal. I think the 5-6 km of real bad track is probably reduced due to the new road.

The "Hogenekkal-Anchetty-Denkannikottai-Hosur-Bangalore" is a standard route for those who like to take non-standard routes. Denkannikottai to Anekal Bannerghatta roads aren't anywhere as good as the Denkannikottai-Hosur-Bangalore route.
sae90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 07:33   #20
Team-BHP Support

That is what even I was referring to. Google maps shows a road, which hits Pennagaram directly without going through Hogenakkal. But when I drove through Anchetty to Hogenakkal, I did not see any deviation or signboards saying Pennagaram.

In fact I was assuming that I will go to Hogenakkal via Pennagaram. Since I directly reached Hogenakkal, even I was surprised and was thinking what happened to the other road!
Old 5th May 2011, 12:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sae90 View Post
I think the 5-6 km of real bad track is probably reduced due to the new road.
Nope. The 5-6 kms of bad road is still there and as bad as ever. Probably it extended also, because my odometer showed around 7-8 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sae90 View Post
The "Hogenekkal-Anchetty-Denkannikottai-Hosur-Bangalore" is a standard route for those who like to take non-standard routes. Denkannikottai to Anekal Bannerghatta roads aren't anywhere as good as the Denkannikottai-Hosur-Bangalore route.
True, but from what I saw, there were plenty of Bangalore vehicles on this route. So, I guess most of them want to try out newer routes (or in this case, the older route)
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 14:05   #22
Team-BHP Support

The other main road, which trucks and vehicles use is the Old SH to Dharmapuri.
As one need to pay toll, it is quite a favourite with the trucks.
Old 9th May 2011, 00:33   #23

Are you referring to the "Hosur-Royakottai-Palacode-Dharmapuri" as the SH-Dharmapuri route? I think you wanted to say "As one need *not* pay toll" for being favorite route for trucks?
sae90 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 10:10   #24
Team-BHP Support

Yes. I meant to say "as one need to pay toll on GQ" the other option is a favourite with trucks.
Yes I did mean the Rayakottai road.
Old 12th May 2011, 01:23   #25

Quote:
The other main road, which trucks and vehicles use is the Old SH to Dharmapuri.
As one need to pay toll, it is quite a favourite with the trucks.
Quote:
Nope. The 5-6 kms of bad road is still there and as bad as ever. Probably it extended also, because my odometer showed around 7-8 kms.

True, but from what I saw, there were plenty of Bangalore vehicles on this route. So, I guess most of them want to try out newer routes (or in this case, the older route)
I did my drive on my jeep with an uncalibrated speedo/Odo. So, my guess of the stretch of bad road of less than 5-6 kms was based on instinct. Also, since I drive jeep, the definition of bad road would mean different from others. Anyway, I have a pending trip via this route and I'll update with more info.
sae90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 14:40   #26
BHPian

Went thru the following route last week end on my trip to Bandipur.

Hosur - Thally - Dodda Maralwadi - Mavathur - Kanakapura. The road conditions are
1) Hosur to Thally - Usual state highway. Condition Good.
2) Thally to Dodda Maralwadi - Typical village roads till TN - KA border. Some stretches are very bad and in one place my i20 scrapped the under belly. From Chudasandram to Rishi Valley school is highly elephant infested area. Luckily didn't see one. Some abnormal Incline and declines are in and around State border. KA side roads are better.
3) Dodda Maralwadi to Kanakapura - Again typical village roads but with little improvement than TN side. Reached NH209 some 5kms before Kanakapura.

Over all 80kms between hosur and kanakapura and took 2.30hrs.

The most interesting part was that we encountered two government buses (KSRTC & TNSTC) en-route which ply between Dharmapuri and Kanakapura.
The route printed on the side of the bus is Dharmapuri - Palakode - Marandahalli - Thally - Kanakapura. I never thought the road is exist for bus transport.

Ram.
Ramp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 15:14   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp View Post
Over all 80kms between hosur and kanakapura and took 2.30hrs.

The most interesting part
Ram

Great update. After I posted last in this thread, I checked the maps again. And what I felt is that none of the interior roads help reduce distance. Krishnagiri to Kanakpura via 4-lane NH7, NICE and NH209 is about 140km. But none of the interior roads help in reducing this distance by a significant amount. So if there are not times lost on the 4-lane due jams or any other reason, I think we can hit the best time via NH-7/NICE.

But otherwise I personally love these interior roads. They are meant for leisure driving!

You can also do :

Krishnagiri-Rayakottai-Denkanikottai-Thally-Kanakpura.

Rayakottai-Denkanikottai goes via the beautiful Panchapalli reservoir.

Another option with good roads is :

Hosur-Anekal-Harohalli-Kanakpura. But I think Hosur-Anekal has truck traffic.

Last edited by ampere : 14th May 2014 at 15:19.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 15:32   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Ram

Great update. After I posted last in this thread, I checked the maps again. And what I felt is that none of the interior roads help reduce distance. Krishnagiri to Kanakpura via 4-lane NH7, NICE and NH209 is about 140km. But none of the interior roads help in reducing this distance by a significant amount. So if there are not times lost on the 4-lane due jams or any other reason, I think we can hit the best time via NH-7/NICE.

But otherwise I personally love these interior roads. They are meant for leisure driving!

You can also do :

Rayakottai-Denkanikottai goes via the beautiful Panchapalli reservoir.

Another option with good roads is :

Hosur-Anekal-Harohalli-Kanakpura. But I think Hosur-Anekal has truck traffic.
Daily i am travelling between Hosur and E city. It is so boring on this NH, so wants to try out the different after all we had a plan till bandipur. Have travelled many time between Anekal and Harohalli both in 2 wheeler and 4 wheeler. Again got bored of this road.

Thanks,
Ram.

Last edited by moralfibre : 15th May 2014 at 08:05. Reason: Removing attachment from quoted post.
Ramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 16:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ram

Krisjnagiri-Rayakottai road is a treat to drive. I drove on this stretch when i went to Ambur in Decemeber 2013. From Rayakottai for a distance of about 1 km or so, the roads are narrow with windings after which it gradually widens.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 09:37   #30
BHPian

Some Photo's en-route. You can see the State Border clearly. Have verified with the GPS.

Ram.
Attached Thumbnails
Chennai to Kanakapura: Avoiding Bangalore-photo1.jpg  

Chennai to Kanakapura: Avoiding Bangalore-photo2.jpg  

Chennai to Kanakapura: Avoiding Bangalore-photo3.jpg  

Chennai to Kanakapura: Avoiding Bangalore-photo4.jpg  

Chennai to Kanakapura: Avoiding Bangalore-photo5.jpg  

Ramp is offline   Reply With Quote