Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2010, 18:16   #271
Senior - BHPian
 
akroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Posts: 2,414
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Need help from frequent US travelers.

I travel quite a lot as part of my job. This incident happened in my recent business trip to US. I got the I-94 form authorized for 90 days at the point of entry as usual. Typically, this form, which is attached to the passport is taken back by immigration authorities when we leave US. However this time when I started back from JFK, the immigration folks seem to have missed to take it. I did not realize it until I reached India and was checking my passport.

Has any one of you experienced this situation? In the form, it is clearly mentioned that I am supposed to hand it over to immigration authorities, when I leave the country, or I may face issues when I visit US again. Any information on this?
Thats not a big problem. During my last trip to India.
My wife and kid went before me and the US authorities didnt tear out the I-94 from their passports and they reached India with I-94. When I went a month after they left, the check staff of airline tear out the I-94 before boarding the flight at port of exit.

Then when I and my family were boarding from India back to US, I just removed the I-94 from the passport and kept it separately. At the port of entry they stamped in the new I-94.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 23:53   #272
BHPian
 
Car-e-ok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 222
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Sam, if Air France wanted, they could have given Transit visas to the Indian passengers and arranged a accommodation at a Hotel as they did for other passengers.
But, they didn't make any attempts to do that, and we all know the reason!
I have opted air france once as well . charles de gaulle is one of the worst airport i have ever seen i this world. The map is deceptive man its far more complicated. But you have to be smart enough to make the right moves . I came from mexico city to charles de gaulle and charles de gaulle to delhi. I had my friend(french man) with me who assured me he will get me to the right terminal . we changed one train and a bus ride . Then i went on to security check and made my flight. The trouble part is selecting the right train and right bus. The train and bus are very regular so no waiting as such. So once you are out of the plane first thing first ask atleast 2-3 people before hoping onto train. And then right underneath the escalators their is a map. Do a double check of the route heading toward your terminal checking all the waypoints. Trace those waypoints with respect to the display on to the train. Hop on the train.or Bus . It sounds a bit tricky and you know what it is tricky. But do things right first time and you will have no regrets.
Car-e-ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 07:40   #273
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,496
Thanked: 2,964 Times
Default

Folks,

An unrelated query - Am trying to make some reservations - I realize our friends Hostelworld.com will usurp my deposit even on postponement.
hotels.com charges 10% extra on the rates.
Any ideas?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 09:07   #274
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 293
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Need help from frequent US travelers.

I travel quite a lot as part of my job. This incident happened in my recent business trip to US. I got the I-94 form authorized for 90 days at the point of entry as usual. Typically, this form, which is attached to the passport is taken back by immigration authorities when we leave US. However this time when I started back from JFK, the immigration folks seem to have missed to take it. I did not realize it until I reached India and was checking my passport.

Has any one of you experienced this situation? In the form, it is clearly mentioned that I am supposed to hand it over to immigration authorities, when I leave the country, or I may face issues when I visit US again. Any information on this?
Actually the problem arises if you left the country by car/ship/train etc. If by flight, your records would have anyway been submitted by the airlines [even if the form was not collected]. So, dont worry about the form.
deepakvrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 10:16   #275
Senior - BHPian
 
panky12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,638
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
Actually the problem arises if you left the country by car/ship/train etc. If by flight, your records would have anyway been submitted by the airlines [even if the form was not collected]. So, dont worry about the form.
If he's lucky.. no problems! but you know these americans, they may plainly deny him an entry next time.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 11:25   #276
Senior - BHPian
 
chevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sacto
Posts: 1,286
Thanked: 496 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Anyone know best way to book american domestic tickets online?
here are some websites that i keep a tab on.

Orbitz Travel: Airline Tickets, Cheap Hotels, Car Rentals, Vacations & Cruises
Priceline.com | Cheap Flights, Hotels, and Rental Cars -- Discount Airfare
www.cheapoair.com
www.expedia.com
Cheap Flights, Hotels, Airline Tickets, Cheap Tickets, Travel Deals - KAYAK - Compare Hundreds of Travel Sites At Once

and then the airlines website. sometimes you get very good deals on their own website. some popular airline websites. in april i got great deal to D.C from delta.com. also got super deal one way to N.Y on delta itself. to and fro for $300, while if i went for return tickets it was costing $450 plus.

Southwest Airlines | Book Flights, Airline Tickets, Airfare
Delta Air Lines - Airline Tickets and Airfare to Worldwide Destinations
www.usairways.com
Airline Tickets and Airline Reservations from American Airlines | AA.com

hope this helps
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 13:38   #277
BHPian
 
2500cc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 645
Thanked: 209 Times
Default Experience with Air France

Last week my neighbor took Air France for SFO. This was her first time flying abroad, She was travelling with 6mnths old kiddo and apparently she had paid 30k more for the extra care and for accommodation at CDG (6 hrs transit).

1. When she got into the flight, she was not provided with the cradle for the kid ?
2. When she asked the flight attendant for the cradle, he told her that there is no space in the flight, but they do have space on wings and if she want she can shift there ?
3. She was also not provided any accommodation at CDG and they gave her some vague reasons. She couldn't argue with them because she was traveling alone with the kid.

Poor lady took didn't have anything for 23 hrs till the flight reached at SFO. The worst part is she made her kid sit in the corner of the restroom at CDG while she relieved herself as she couldn't control anymore.

This is the second time am coming through this type behavior of Air France. In the past again one of cousin was travelling to NY and she had 2 kids with her. When she asked the flight attendant for a glass of water, the FA asked her to go and fetch it for herself and she was shown the way to pantry. When my cousin told that she cant leave the kids and go and requested the FA to get the water, the FA very rudely told her "Cant you see am busy, if you are so thirsty go fetch it for yourself or wait tilli get it for you"

Last edited by bblost : 28th July 2010 at 20:50. Reason: Extra Smiley deleted. No more than 2 per post. Thanks.
2500cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 15:03   #278
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 237
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

This is nothing new about Air France. Never take there flights since they do not like to serve us(Racism? do not know exactly).

In 2008 I was coming from Paris to Bangalore. Was sitting next to a guy from Norway. I had asked for liquor before food so that i can doze off and my neighbor some wine. I was not served liquor at all inspite of repeated requests but the gentlemen next to me was served to the full. Since I was tired, did not bother to think about it and slept off nicely. I got up just before we reach Bangalore and my neighbor was still being served Wine and I could see atleast 4 bottles in stock with him. And I was still not being served.

Did not want to spoil my mood there by getting into discussion,hence ignore the behavior and attitude of the staff.

My intention is not to hurt anyone here.
Indian Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 00:07   #279
Senior - BHPian
 
tsk13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,233
Thanked: 270 Times
Default

BHPians

I need your help. My younger brother will be flying to Ottawa, Canada on a student visa in the last week of August. The quickest and cheapest connection is of Continental Airlines via New York (DEL - EWR - YOW). The stopover time is 4 hours 15 minutes and the connecting flight departs from a different terminal. I was told that he requires a transit visa, can any one confirm and shed more light on the same.

Thanks
Warm Regards

Tanveer Singh
tsk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 00:45   #280
Senior - BHPian
 
TaureanBull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,047
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
BHPians

I need your help. My younger brother will be flying to Ottawa, Canada on a student visa in the last week of August. The quickest and cheapest connection is of Continental Airlines via New York (DEL - EWR - YOW). The stopover time is 4 hours 15 minutes and the connecting flight departs from a different terminal. I was told that he requires a transit visa, can any one confirm and shed more light on the same.
Thanks
Warm Regards Tanveer Singh
AFAIK, you dont need a transit visa unless you want to leave the premises of the Airport.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 09:55   #281
BHPian
 
glomus123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: India
Posts: 159
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
BHPians
I was told that he requires a transit visa, can any one confirm and shed more light on the same.

Thanks
Warm Regards

Tanveer Singh
Your brother need not take a transit visa. He can just go through the transit channel to the other terminal.

With thanks and regards

Last edited by glomus123 : 19th July 2010 at 10:01. Reason: Spelling error
glomus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 23:04   #282
Senior - BHPian
 
Nitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
BHPians

I need your help. My younger brother will be flying to Ottawa, Canada on a student visa in the last week of August. The quickest and cheapest connection is of Continental Airlines via New York (DEL - EWR - YOW). The stopover time is 4 hours 15 minutes and the connecting flight departs from a different terminal. I was told that he requires a transit visa, can any one confirm and shed more light on the same.

Thanks
Warm Regards

Tanveer Singh
Your best bet is to reconfirm with the airlines. I had an issue when I was travelling on an H1-B (approved, but not stamped in the passport). I gathered that if you have a valid visa for the country of final destination, then a transit visa is not needed in most EU countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Need help from frequent US travelers.

I travel quite a lot as part of my job. This incident happened in my recent business trip to US. I got the I-94 form authorized for 90 days at the point of entry as usual. Typically, this form, which is attached to the passport is taken back by immigration authorities when we leave US. However this time when I started back from JFK, the immigration folks seem to have missed to take it. I did not realize it until I reached India and was checking my passport.

Has any one of you experienced this situation? In the form, it is clearly mentioned that I am supposed to hand it over to immigration authorities, when I leave the country, or I may face issues when I visit US again. Any information on this?
Saw the info provided by a few BHPian.
Its sheer carelessness on the part of the airlines. Since they are required to turn in the I-94 forms to the USCIS,not furnishing your I-94 could potentially mean that you fled the country by illegal means. As long as you were allowed to re-enter without an event, then things ought to be right on track. I hope that you have sent the I-94 to the address mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Thats not a big problem. During my last trip to India.
My wife and kid went before me and the US authorities didnt tear out the I-94 from their passports and they reached India with I-94. When I went a month after they left, the check staff of airline tear out the I-94 before boarding the flight at port of exit.

Then when I and my family were boarding from India back to US, I just removed the I-94 from the passport and kept it separately. At the port of entry they stamped in the new I-94.

Abhi
So did you not surrender the old I-94? If not, a lapse in your info on record could prove to be a hassle later.Especially if are applying for green card/citizenship (I've been told that in some cases, every minor detail is looked into).
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 03:21   #283
Senior - BHPian
 
akroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Posts: 2,414
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
So did you not surrender the old I-94? If not, a lapse in your info on record could prove to be a hassle later.Especially if are applying for green card/citizenship (I've been told that in some cases, every minor detail is looked into).
Nitin, We re-entered USA again and there was no hassles or Qs asked and they stamped the new I-94. Obviously it will be on track.
If i remember well they removed the old I-94 from the passport and trashed it.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 08:29   #284
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 215 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Nitin, We re-entered USA again and there was no hassles or Qs asked and they stamped the new I-94. Obviously it will be on track.
If i remember well they removed the old I-94 from the passport and trashed it.

Abhi
I would say you are lucky.

I remember my friend who was questioned in SFO for not surrendering the I-94 during previous exit. And they claimed he over stayed. But since he was a frequent flyer, he showed the other visas, stampings and entries which he did after that exit day to UK and some europe countries. Then the Immigration staff apologized and stamped him entry.

This was in 2004-2005. Probably due to recent terror strikes? Not sure.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 17:39   #285
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 293
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
If he's lucky.. no problems! but you know these americans, they may plainly deny him an entry next time.
Nope. Their own website says that if you forgot the form and left by flight, not to do anything.
deepakvrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread amitoj Route / Travel Queries 420 2nd December 2016 17:39
Long stay car parking @ Indian airports? spadival The Indian Car Scene 135 23rd November 2016 23:41
A YetiGuide® to Airlines, Airports and Domestic Air Travel Sam Kapasi Route / Travel Queries 946 18th October 2016 17:06
Pre-Event discussion: India’s First International Concours D’Elegance ajmat Vintage Cars & Classics in India 45 5th November 2008 17:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:36.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks