Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 5th January 2011, 09:00   #331
MCR
BHPian

Default re: The International Air Travel, Airports Discussion Thread

I may have to travel to Newport News in Virginia, USA for some business meetings. Checking on the net, I found that Bangalore - Paris - Atlanta - Newport News to be the most convenient route. I am planning to book this route and the airlines would be Delta. Is the service from Delta airlines good?

Else I wil have to look at Continental Airlines flying non-stop from New Delhi. I would prefer through check-in. Suggestions welcome.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 09:44   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
I may have to travel to Newport News in Virginia, USA for some business meetings. Checking on the net, I found that Bangalore - Paris - Atlanta - Newport News to be the most convenient route. I am planning to book this route and the airlines would be Delta. Is the service from Delta airlines good?

Else I wil have to look at Continental Airlines flying non-stop from New Delhi. I would prefer through check-in. Suggestions welcome.
I think US Immigrations & Customs are always done at port of entry. i.e. if unless your port of entry is Newport News, you bags would have to be removed, then you take it through customs & immigrations & reload it in your connecting flight at Atlanta or whatever is your port of entry. So always make sure your there is sufficient time interval for your connecting flight.

By the way, when you come back do post here as to what the local newspaper at Newport News is called - is it "Newport News News"?

Last edited by carboy : 5th January 2011 at 09:45.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 09:48   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Folks and regular travellors,
I will be travelling Emirates from US to Kol via Dubai end of this month.
How is the experience overall?
Is there any Do/Donts in Dubai airport (T3) during intransit compared to other US/EU airports. Earlier I have travelled through FRA 4 times before and had a wonderful exp there.

Abhi
I regularly travel by Emirates and BA. I would rate Emirates as one of the best. Same with the DXB airport. Just enjoy the shopping there and nothing to worry.
vasoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 11:55   #334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Folks and regular travellors,
I will be travelling Emirates from US to Kol via Dubai end of this month.
How is the experience overall?
Is there any Do/Donts in Dubai airport (T3) during intransit compared to other US/EU airports. Earlier I have travelled through FRA 4 times before and had a wonderful exp there.

Abhi
If you must go to the toilet, find a toilet in the area before you go through security to enter airport. Those are not used much and cleaner and you do not have to queue!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 20:01   #335
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ajmat, thats a very imp suggession.
Everyone is asking for shopping. What is so special in Dubai T3 for shopping? I think I saw shops in all airports isnt it?

Quote:

Delta is a nice flight but heard not so good stories about CDG airport from my colleagues. Since the weather is not proper these days in EU, I would suggest take the Delhi - Newark Conti flight. Also your destination is Virginia which is Eastmost coast near DC/NY whereas Atlanta (GA) is further westwards. Hence why travel more and then return back.

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 5th January 2011 at 20:14.
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 20:11   #336
Team-BHP Support

Flew via Frankfurt on Jan 2nd enroute to the US.

Airport was so busy that there were no jetways available to dock our plane. A 747 full of people were put on several buses and driven to the terminal.

While boarding my United 777 to Chicago same thing happened. I had only a light jacket on and was worried about getting frostbite. Luckily it wasn't so bad.

Wasn't planning to actually 'set foot' on 'German soil' but it happened and it was nice to smell the outside air!!!

Last edited by Mpower : 5th January 2011 at 20:12.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 21:13   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ajmat, thats a very imp suggession.
Everyone is asking for shopping. What is so special in Dubai T3 for shopping? I think I saw shops in all airports isnt it?
Frankly, nothing so special. Atleast for me. As you mentioned its same as other terminals. Be it swarnabomi, Changi, Frankfurt or DXB....

Personally I loved the Changi the most, the free tours, free massages
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 10:54   #338
BHPian

Hi folks,

I will be travelling to Hong Kong and back via Bangkok (only transit). I plan to go to HK very light and come back with stuff for family and friends.

Stuff like children's clothes, shoes. Shoes for myself.
The only expensive stuff I might get for myself is a watch for around 60K INR (which I would wear) and maybe a camera of around 20K (carry it personally).
Do I need to be worried about customs? I will return via Kolkata.

Last edited by johy : 31st January 2011 at 11:02.
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 13:00   #339
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,
Need some advice on booking a flight ticket from Hyderabad to Birmingham and wanted to clear out some doubts.

1. Which airline would offer a better travel experience among Jet, Kingfisher, Air India, British, Air France, Swiss, Emirates, Etihad and Qatar? (These are the ones available and within my budget on the day ill be traveling)

2. What route should i pick? The only one stop route is HYD-DXB-BHX while all others are three stops or more. And how much time do i need to leave between the connecting flights to be on a safe side?

3. Do i book now or wait for special offers that come later on? From what ive seen, the prices now and about 5months from now are pretty much the same.

Im slightly keen on flying with Emirates because they have the A380 from Dubai to London, from where ill have to get a third flight to Birmingham. This means ill have to make a separate booking from LON to BHX, and lug my baggage around as well. Is it really gonna be worth the extra effort?

Thanks in advance.
Karthik
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 03:25   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Hi folks,

I will be travelling to Hong Kong and back via Bangkok (only transit). I plan to go to HK very light and come back with stuff for family and friends.

Stuff like children's clothes, shoes. Shoes for myself.
The only expensive stuff I might get for myself is a watch for around 60K INR (which I would wear) and maybe a camera of around 20K (carry it personally).
Do I need to be worried about customs? I will return via Kolkata.
The limit for electronic items is 25 K INR. That is the only limiting factor. I guess a watch of 60K would be considered to be an electronic one, but you can always say you wore it on the way out.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 16:36   #341
Senior - BHPian

Indian airports are not alone in this:

TSA Screeners At JFK Admit To Stealing $160K From Passengers - The Consumerist
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 20:20   #342
MCR
BHPian

Quote:

I took Lufthansa.

Bangalore -Frankfurt : Cattle class. The seats are too cramped in economy.
Frankfurt - Philadelphia : Nice wide seats in economy. Good legroom too.
Philadelphia - Newport News : US airways corporate jet. Absolutely loved it.

The return leg was exactly the opposite of above. But the flight times are simply huge and add to that the airport layovers. Next time I will fly non stop on Delta or Continental.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 06:37   #343
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure how many people can help me find the right answer to my question, given the situation. None-the-less, any valuable input is appreciated.

I'm here in the US on an EAD card & Advance Parole document(basically one step before the Green Card). I'm travelling to India in May, through BA. Houston-London-BLR. BA claims that I need a transit visa to fly with them.I'm not sure if anyone else has had the same issue. And the transit visa seems to be a pain in the neck, with the amount of paperwork requested (not that anything can be done about this).
Would anyone be able to confirm that this is my only option?
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 06:43   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

to my knowledge it is only if you intend stopping over in London on the way home that you require the transit visa. but it is better to cross check with others on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
I'm not sure how many people can help me find the right answer to my question, given the situation. None-the-less, any valuable input is appreciated.

I'm here in the US on an EAD card & Advance Parole document(basically one step before the Green Card). I'm travelling to India in May, through BA. Houston-London-BLR. BA claims that I need a transit visa to fly with them.I'm not sure if anyone else has had the same issue. And the transit visa seems to be a pain in the neck, with the amount of paperwork requested (not that anything can be done about this).
Would anyone be able to confirm that this is my only option?
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 08:38   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
I'm here in the US on an EAD card & Advance Parole document(basically one step before the Green Card). I'm travelling to India in May, through BA. Houston-London-BLR. BA claims that I need a transit visa to fly with them.
If you have your ticketing as stated a transit visit would be given at the time of landing in UK, in this cas,e it could be needed as you need to change airports. This is a couple of yeras back , so am not sure if things have changed now.

Cheers,
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote