Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 5th December 2012, 14:18   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The International Air Travel, Airports Discussion Thread

He doesn't need Indian ID: Foreigners travel by train too

Passport is the ultimate ID, I'd suggest that he carries his. Also OCI/PIO if he has either of those. He'll need all this when registering at hotels anyway.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 5th December 2012 at 14:20.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 14:52   #527
BHPian

FYI Beginning this Saturday ID's are must even for non-AC else you will be fined for ticketless travel.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...etless-id-card

--R

Last edited by Ragul : 5th December 2012 at 14:53.
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 17:20   #528
BHPian

This probably is the best thread I can pose this question.

A little OT, but does matter to people who do International Travel.

1. Why do travel bags cost so much? Are they really that much worth the premium price of say, 8000INR for 28inch?

2. Any disadvantages of a 4-wheel bag over a 2 wheeled one?

3. A reasonable place in Bangalore to buy one. I do see online offers but I wouldn't believe a bag until I see one.
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 00:10   #529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Why do travel bags cost so much? Are they really that much worth the premium price of say, 8000INR for 28inch?
They really don't need to. You can get stuff much cheaper, and if you do not travel often, its worth doing so. Mostly, even in UK, I never spent that much on a case --- but, recently, in Singapore, I did. Some of my cases have their lives extended with DIY repairs too.

It is all various equations of strength, weight and quality. The more you need to carry, the lighter the case must be, to get within the baggage allowance. If that stuff is fragile, you are going to want strength as well.

If it is, say, just cloth, then anything will do. Even a cardboard box! In UK they sell big bags with zips. They are cheap and very light, but you have to make sure you use string, don't trust the zips. If you have a heap of clothes to carry abroad for job, or study, they are absolutely ideal, but don't pack the stereo in one

No idea if available in India. For some reason, they seem to be popular, in UK, with the community that travels to and from some African countries.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 04:51   #530
BHPian

Question NZ Visa Screw-up - any suggestions?

My wife and 2 kids recently applied for a partnership based temporary entry visa to New Zealand, as I hold a NZ PR.

The Applications were received at the Mumbai Branch of the Immigration New Zealand (INZ Mumbai), and within a week , an officer was allotted to our case. We had booked our tickets for 24/12/2012, and got the call from NZIS Mumbai on 20/12/2012. The visa officer said that a decision had been made, and the visas would be dispatched the next day.

We waited for 2 days, but no communication came from NZIS mumbai. on the morning of 24/12/2012, we finally called NZIS Mumbai, and were told the shocking news that the visas had NOT been dispatched . Apparently the officer had approved our visas, but the branch manager had some doubts as to our intention to return to India, I finally had to scan and send my daughters school fee receipt for the academic year, and a letter from my wife's business stating that her presence was essential in India for running the business, and that she would indeed return.
At this point I was really frustrated- how can NZ Immigration take things so nonchalantly?. Isn't it at least humane to let people know if there's a delay in such things, so that the expensive flight tickets don't go to waste?

Finally, the Visa officer told us that she would send out the visas on the 24th itself, and by then I had already rebooked my flight with SIA for 27/12/2012 after incurring a penalty.

The next day (25/12/2012), We got the passports, and were overjoyed- BUT- three hours later, I just wanted to take a glance at the visas, and found to my despair that :-
1) 2 duplicate visas in my wife's name had been issued- one pasted on her passport, and one pasted on my daughters passport.
2) A visa label with my daughters name was pasted on my son's passport.

So that meant-
1) My wife had a valid travel visa
2) My daughter's visa was in my son's passport
3) My son had no visa in his name

Now came the BIG problem- NZIS mumbai is closed from 26/12/2012 to 1/1/2013.

So that means ANOTHER cancellation and another extra payment to the airline for re-booking.

We called NZIS in Auckland, and the immigration officer said that the issue was merely with wrong labels being printed, and that their database showed that visas were issued to all 3 applicants.
He said we had 2 options
1) Wait until the 2nd of Jan 2013- till NZIS mumbai opens, and get it corrected
or
2)Take a chance and go with the current visas and explain the situation along the way, and get the errors rectified after reaching NZ.

What do y'all think?
We fly from Bangalore, and I don't know how customs is going to handle this situation.

Should I re-book again? or just roll the dice?
ascertain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 08:16   #531
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: NZ Visa Screw-up - any suggestions?

IMHO rebook even if New Zealand immigration has no problem your family will face problems at other check points. Assuming that they issue a letter explaining goofup and Indian emigration accepts it; even then there is no way you can explain it to paranoid and uptight staff of SIA.
I am amazed but not surprised at agrarian level of professionalism shown by mainly an agrarian country.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 09:02   #532
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: NZ Visa Screw-up - any suggestions?

+1 to what Amitk26 has said. You dont need to take the risk of travelling with wrong visa stampings. Get the visa stampings rectified for that peace of mind.

I had a similar issue for the UK visa with the VFS, Mumbai. They cancelled my Visa for the reason of damaged passport. The passport was in perfect shape during submission and later I found that the lamination of the last page had come off completely. Had to apply for a fresh passport and then re-apply for Visa. Total time lost 1.5 months.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 11:15   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascertain View Post

I think it all depends on your personality, so you will have to decide. If you are confident that you can explain your way through, go ahead. You will have to be patient and say the same thing again and again.

The truth is on your side, so you should make it. If you have a reason for being there this week instead of the next, even better. It could be as mundane a reason as wanting to celebrate New Year in a different country.

If you know you can do it, go for it. If not, go for peace of mind.

Cheers!

Last edited by lapsi : 27th December 2012 at 11:31.
lapsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 12:11   #534
Senior - BHPian

If you can get a written confirmation from NZIS, Auckland that all your visas have been granted and you're officially allowed to enter and leave NZ as per your Visa dates, then you shouldn't have any problem in travelling on your booked dates. The officers sitting at the entry point at the airports go by their rulebook and have no interest in verbal communication, but if you give them an official letter from the NZIS Auckland in writing then things would be different. If NZIS Auckland has no facility to give that you in writing, you'd better wait until the NZIS mumbai opens up and you get the screwup corrected before you leave!
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 14:01   #535
BHPian

+1 to 9thsphinx. Try to get a fax or a signed copy of a letter from NZIS. But the officers can still offload you.
kutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 14:12   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Even if you can explain this issue at NZ upon arrival (which has risks of deportation), you may not be able to clear the immigration here in Bangalore without the visa. I suggest you wait till the embassy opens and get it corrected.
kvish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 09:56   #537
BHPian

Lightbulb Re: The International Air Travel, Airports Discussion Thread

Ah!- am very happy to let everyone know I DID make it to NZ even with the visa goof-up.

I'll just recount the experience-

After a long day of contemplation, finally my wife and I decided to take the plunge into the vast unknowns of the airport, airline and immigration ocean.

We were traveling with our kids, and even though there was a chance of being denied permission to travel by the airport authorities, we went ahead. I had obtained assurances from SIA Bangalore that even if we got turned back by immigration at BLR airport, our tickets could be rebooked at the airport and a 'no-show' would not happen.
The NZIS officials (at Auckland) had also told us that immigration in India should not have a problem in letting us through, and only the NZIS at Auckland and the Airline should have any concerns.

I packed in all sorts of documents including 3 copies of our passports and 5 copies of the letters sent by NZIS.

We reached the airport in our fiesta at around 7.30 PM on 27/12/2012 and without wasting any time, proceeded directly to the SIA counter. i told the people sitting there about my problem, and they were very helpful and chilled out about the entire thing. They checked in my baggage, gave us our boarding passes and told us to contact them in case immigration at BIA had any problem.

we proceeded to the immigration desk, and were met by a polite officer who asked the usual questions. We explained the situation to him and he was also very understanding. He seemed quite satisfied with the letter from NZIS we showed him. after consulting a senior official, we were let through after 8 minutes.

we then completed the security check,and went to the waiting lounge, and then on to the flight- no hassles on the way.

After reaching AKL airport, we had to describe the issue again to the airport immigration officer, and after a 15 minute wait, were cleared for entry.

So all together not many hassles!- thank god!

The only irritating thing was- the flow of information- in order to get information on my visa officer in India, i had to call NZ, and they were very polite and patient.

There is no recording of conversations at the India end of the NZIS and maybe thats where the problem lies.
ascertain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 17:04   #538
BHPian

Quote:

Ah!- am very happy to let everyone know I DID make it to NZ even with the visa goof-up.
Congratulations! Fortune favours the brave
lapsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 19:50   #539
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post

3. A reasonable place in Bangalore to buy one. I do see online offers but I wouldn't believe a bag until I see one.
Go to Mota Arcade basement. Good shop there selling decent luggage for decent prices. We have three suitcases from there which are about 6 years old now and have travelled extensively, multiple times, across the world both near and far. They are in perfectly good shape, though being light coloured they are showing some dirt and travel stains now.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 19:59   #540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post

The 4 wheeled ones tend to roll down any slope they find. Also, on a two wheeled one, i used to prop my feet up while waiting at airport lounges. This is a little more difficult with 4 wheeled ones.
But, they are super easy to maneuver.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote