Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 2nd January 2013, 06:22   #541
BHPian

Lightbulb Re: The International Air Travel, Airports Discussion Thread

@mempheS.D - 1) 4 wheelers are more expensive than 2 wheelers. 2) The chance of a 4 wheeler rolling off is more. 3) In case one of the wheels breaks off- you can still use the suitcase, but it'll be very wobbly.

For my NZ trip, I had to buy a new suitcase, one medium sized and one cabin luggage-

I did a lot of bag-seeing, and finally decided on an American tourister (Cabin) with 4 wheels and a VIP medium sized (soft top) case with 2 wheels- since the bigger one would be carrying more weight and was check in- and we wanted more stability.

A piece of advice to the luggage buyer- look at the handle stability in case of a trolley model. I would not advise going in for a trolley with a square cross section. Go for one that is oval in cross section and broader, as that offers better weight tolerance and smoother sliding in/out.

Open the inner zipper and take a look at the material in the base of the suitcase (where the trolley handle rests)- see if it is PVC or compressed fiber- PVC handles stress more, and lesser chance of damage. The fiber board has more chance of crumbling under more weight.

Check the stitching of the luggage thoroughly, and always ask for the warranty period, and replacement of wheels in case of damage.

As far as the wheels in the trolley models are concerned- go for models which have 'partly recessed' wheels instead of those which seem to wholly jut out.

And in the end- for the frequent traveler who has a need for secure luggage- its good to invest one time in a good quality luggage, while for occassional travel- don't go too high on the budget- its bettter to cycle your luggage and go in for newer models as they come out- I'd suggest medium size baggage of upto 5.5K (check in baggage), but for cabin baggage you can go for a higher quality one for upto 5K.

Good quality luggage is made by the following brands (as per my hunt) - samsonite>American tourister>VIP>Skybag>Carlton>Safari.

A slew of low priced models are there - Alfa and what not- these are very damage prone- so wouldn't advise it.

Hope this helps
ascertain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:44   #542
BHPian

Default Re: The International Air Travel, Airports Discussion Thread

How is Turkish airlines to travel to London. I am getting cheapest tickets by them.
inder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 12:07   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
How is Turkish airlines to travel to London. I am getting cheapest tickets by them.
Turkish Airlines have greatly improved their service AFAIK. I went to germany in 2010 (Mumbai-Istanbul-Nuremburg) with Turkish Airlines. The food was good but there were no personal ICE (displays at the back of seats). Most importantly, the flights were on time for both legs, to and fro, of the journey.
kopakabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 20:26   #544
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascertain View Post

A piece of advice to the luggage buyer- l
Those are some great tips! I'll add one more:
If you are going to check in your bag and lock it to secure your valuables, then go for bags that have TSA approved locks. Apparently, TSA can open these bags for security checks without breaking the lock. Otherwise chances are that you will get your bag at your destination with a broken lock. This applies if you are traveling to USA. Not sure about UK and other places.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 22:46   #545
Senior - BHPian

Chaos at Frankfurt airport due to ice sleet causing cancellation of flights. Similar situation all across Eu (France, UK). Not a situation you would like to be in.

Ice Formation on wings of the craft.

The International Air Travel, Airports Discussion Thread-dsc00645.jpg

De icing in progress.

The International Air Travel, Airports Discussion Thread-dsc03695.jpg
The International Air Travel, Airports Discussion Thread-dsc03698.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd January 2013 at 22:48.
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 22:54   #546
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Chaos at Frankfurt airport due to ice sleet causing cancellation of flights. Similar situation all across Eu (France, UK). Not a situation you would like to be in.
Reminds me of my harrowing experience in February last year!
It has become an annual event now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Coming back from Boston, the flight got diverted to Frankfurt because Heathrow was shutdown literally, due to 3 inches of snow. I had to spend the night at Frankfurt airport because the German authorities did not give me a day visa and BA crew just abandoned us at the airport. There were close to 40 Indians, since there were 4 BA flights that were diverted to Frankfurt. We had to spend the night on puny, uncomfortable beds with insufficient number of blankets and barely enough food.

All this, when rest of the airports in Europe were getting hit by much more snow and were still operating.

It seems the decision to ground flights even before it snowed was a contingency plan and will be executed every time the same weather situation arises.

Heathrow will always struggle with snow airport admits - Telegraph

So, if its winters, stay away from BA.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 23:40   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Cheers!
My father was traveling from Denver to Frankfurt yesterday and he faced similar problem. His flight got diverted to Munich due to snow storm in frankfurt. Then after 3-4 hours they were back in frankfurt and he was able to board flight to mumbai.
He reached mumbai about 6 hours late.
athanedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 20:26   #548
Senior - BHPian

I'd posted about this some months (more than a year?) back but my elderly parents hadn't made plans to travel to the US till now.

They are visiting my sister in the US - closest airport is Atlanta, Georgia. They will be travelling from Trivandrum. My sister has asked them to specifically take the immigration point as Washington - so that they can take Emirates from Dubai to Washington. But dad is really, really worried about having to move the baggage by themselves in Washington and then take a Domestic flight to Atlanta. He is even willing to take Delta all the way to Atlanta - something my sister is dead against. Sister warns us that the Delta flights are pathetic - with really bad service and even they are not comfortable. Also, they can only carry less amount of baggage - which will surely be a problem when they are travelling back. They will have to buy very less stuff when travelling back. And since this is their first visit to the US, sister wants them to splurge on buying anything they want and not worry about baggage.

We have all tried to explain to him that there will be people to help at airports and that he can ask for help to people with getting the baggage onto trolleys etc. Also suggested the option of requesting for wheelchairs so even baggage will be taken care of by someone.

Your feedback guys?
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 20:34   #549
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I'd posted about this some months (more than a year?) back but my elderly parents hadn't made plans to travel to the US till now.

They are visiting my sister in the US - closest airport is Atlanta, Georgia. They will be travelling from Trivandrum. My sister has asked them to specifically take the immigration point as Washington - so that they can take Emirates from Dubai to Washington. But dad is really, really worried about having to move the baggage by themselves in Washington and then take a Domestic flight to Atlanta. He is even willing to take Delta all the way to Atlanta - something my sister is dead against. Sister warns us that the Delta flights are pathetic - with really bad service and even they are not comfortable. Also, they can only carry less amount of baggage - which will surely be a problem when they are travelling back. They will have to buy very less stuff when travelling back. And since this is their first visit to the US, sister wants them to splurge on buying anything they want and not worry about baggage.

We have all tried to explain to him that there will be people to help at airports and that he can ask for help to people with getting the baggage onto trolleys etc. Also suggested the option of requesting for wheelchairs so even baggage will be taken care of by someone.

Your feedback guys?
Frankly, for an elderly person it will be irritating to take another flight and transfer baggage.

Since Atlanta is the closest airport its best they take Delta, the stopover should be in Amsterdam.

Delta is no Emirates, but its not really that bad. The flights are generally on time and they don't lose luggage. The service too is fine. The flight from India to Amsterdam will probably have an older plane, but from Amsterdam onwards should be newer. Business is pretty good, haven't flown economy but it can't be that bad.

Earlier in Atlanta after landing from an international flight you had to collect your baggage and then re check it in till the main terminal where you got it again. Now that is no longer needed with the new international terminal.

Baggage is similar to other airlines with one check in bag per passenger, if they have more they will have to pay some $20 per bag or similar.

Frankly I think it would be convenient to fly to the end destination rather than another stopover and collecting baggage etc.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 20:51   #550
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Your feedback guys?
I haven't had any problems with Delta so far.
I'll agree with akshay1234. A closer airport is always the first preference.
Minimum transfers will be easier for them.

Unfortunately, less baggage is the norm thesedays & can't be helped.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st February 2013 at 20:53.
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 20:59   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Your feedback guys?
Naveen, I have done a few India-US trips where Washington Dulles (IAD) was my port of entry. The airport is fine and dont worry of carrying your luggage. You will pick and put in the conveyor which is just next to you. You dont need to carry around your luggage in IAD.

secondly, Dubai-Atlanta delta is a good service as per feedback from some of the colleagues but may be a bit expensive than Emirates.

If your parents can walk around then I dont think you need a wheelchair. All the airports in US has good signages. My mom has come in US alone couple of times and she was comfortable at the port of entry.

I would only suggest not to worry for POE and luggages.

My 2 cents
Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 21:28   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They are visiting my sister in the US - closest airport is Atlanta, Georgia. They will be travelling from Trivandrum.

Your feedback guys?
I know you have mentioned that they will be travelling from Trivandrum, but if your parents fly from Bangalore they can fly Lufthansa with the route being:

Bangalore - Frankfurt - Atlanta

I think this would be the most convenient option as Lufthansa are a reliable and fairly comfortable airline. Also stopovers at Frankfurt are very hassle free!
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 01:03   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Your feedback guys?
Don't worry about IAD. I have been using IAD since last few years. They have drop off facility as soon as you clear customs. What your parents will have to do is, pick up the baggage from Arrival belt, clear customs (they will have to do this anyway if they fly to Atlanta) and drop them off again on belt right outside the customs. Moreover, the IAD-Atlanta flight will be domestic so your sister can actually go all the way to the domestic arrival luggage belt to pick them up.

Having said this, I prefer to travel with less layovers. It reduces travel time/fatigue and chances of missing connecting flights, specially for elder people.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 2nd February 2013 at 01:05.
Nitrous Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 11:46   #554
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the help guys! Appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Frankly, for an elderly person it will be irritating to take another flight and transfer baggage.

Delta is no Emirates, but its not really that bad. The flights are generally on time and they don't lose luggage. The service too is fine. The flight from India to Amsterdam will probably have an older plane, but from Amsterdam onwards should be newer. Business is pretty good, haven't flown economy but it can't be that bad.

Earlier in Atlanta after landing from an international flight you had to collect your baggage and then re check it in till the main terminal where you got it again. Now that is no longer needed with the new international terminal.
Thanks for clearing that up. Yes, it is understandable about transferring baggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
I haven't had any problems with Delta so far.
I'll agree with akshay1234. A closer airport is always the first preference.
Minimum transfers will be easier for them.

Unfortunately, less baggage is the norm thesedays & can't be helped.
Yes, not sure what my sis was saying about baggage then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
secondly, Dubai-Atlanta delta is a good service as per feedback from some of the colleagues but may be a bit expensive than Emirates.
Thanks Abhi. That actually makes me feel a little less anxious about Delta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
I know you have mentioned that they will be travelling from Trivandrum, but if your parents fly from Bangalore they can fly Lufthansa with the route being:

Bangalore - Frankfurt - Atlanta
Yes, this is a good plan and was suggested to them but Dad was worried about having to "travel" from my hometown, then Bangalore and leave from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Having said this, I prefer to travel with less layovers. It reduces travel time/fatigue and chances of missing connecting flights, specially for elder people.
Yes, true that.

I will let my folks and sis know. Hopefully they will be booking tickets soon.

Thanks again guys!
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 11:49   #555
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
What your parents will have to do is, pick up the baggage from Arrival belt, clear customs (they will have to do this anyway if they fly to Atlanta) and drop them off again on belt right outside the customs.
Not necessary in Atlanta anymore since the new International terminal was built.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote