Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 24th July 2017, 19:55   #946
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The International Air Travel, Airports Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Haha; I know this is a very popular opinion but somehow I've had a good experience the three times I've flown AI: between DEL - ORD.
Sure, truth is we all have our own experiences and they don't necessarily tally of course.

My wife and I have flown from Amsterdam recently via Gatwick to Barbados to visit her family. It had been a while since I flew BA, but I must admit we werent impressed at all.

I'd say to few flight attendants, we were served an ok-lunch. But team, after an 8.5 hour flight was just that tea with one biscuit. I could not even get a second biscuit. Apperently they carry the exact number of biscuits per passenger.

BA cabin crew is not a happy lot at the moment and it showed. Used to like flying with them, not so sure

If you had asked me 10 years ago about KLM I wouldnt have been that positive. These days I really like them . So these things change over time as well. Own preferences change perhaps and the world changes as well.

Happy flying

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 20:19   #947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
should have been clear. Got the point.

I will be travelling Economy, company policy and hence need some suggestions on which are the best possible flight routes and connections to make and looking for suggestions from people who may have made similar travel in the recent times.

Fly Emirates if you can. Just one reason. Internet of 500mb for dirt cheap rates. Whatsapp and normal browsing like twitter works. In a long flight this helps. And the food options and entertainment options are top class.
prabhuferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 21:36   #948
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
... ... ... But team, after an 8.5 hour flight was just that tea with one biscuit. I could not even get a second biscuit. Apperently they carry the exact number of biscuits per passenger. .... ... ...
Goodness, have things got that bad? As the only direct flight Heathrow/Chennai, I don't feel that I have any choice but to fly BA. I have not yet reached the exalted and rarefied atmosphere of business class (although I am sort-of saving up for that for my next trip, at least one way) but can't stand 11 hours cattle-class either, do I pay the extra for what I call premium-cow class. Trips have been few and far between, the last July '15 and the next maybe July '18, but last time there was still limitless tea and biscuits at the back of the plane. Could probably get it at the seat, but the walk is pleasant.

The staff used to be pleasant too. I gather that BA might not be the best employer in the world.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 22:14   #949
Senior - BHPian

This might sound derogatory on quite a few different levels, but considering the type of a majority of passengers carried by AI, I would term the airline the best in the world.

Which other airline have you availed who had to display videos (animated - of course !) on how to use the loo? And still then the idiots spray all over and try to flush their trash down?

Or where passengers stand up on the seat handles for accessing their stowed overhead luggage when the aircraft is on final landing approach?

or where passengers pass lewd remarks at cabincrew, address them as 'tu', 'aunty ji' etc.?

Sure - AI has it's fair share of problems, including bureaucratic attitude, but if a J class passenger scribbles on the leather armrest with a pen (seen firsthand), there's hardly anything anyone can do.
blackasta is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 23:01   #950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The only people who still fly them are the real loyalists who like being served Indian food by women in saris.
My friend who is a teacher/researcher in a Government run University told me that they need to travel by Air India for official work, provided Air India flight is available to their destination. I believe this rule apply to Government employees just to make sure that Air India gets some business.
airbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 00:16   #951
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down Re: The International Air Travel, Airports Discussion Thread

I've used AI FRA-DEL once, paid a ransom for the ticket, the only reason being, it was a direct flight to my destination. Worst experience ever, Online check in didn't work, could not avail my frequent flyer miles online, food was pathetic, service lack lustre, on my return flight they told me to check in personally at airport 5 hrs before departure, and air hostesses
Gosh, I swear, I will never fly AI again, even if they offer me a free ticket around the world, seriously.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 21:27   #952
BHPian

Default Ground Collision at JFK airport on 15th aug 2017

The wingtip of a Delta Air Lines plane clipped the tail section of an American Airlines aircraft on Tuesday at the John F Kennedy International Airport.
Officials from the Port Authority said the wingtip of the Delta Air Lines Boeing 737, which was bound for Seattle, made contact with the American Airlines plane waiting for departure clearance.
The American plane’s ‘stabilizer’ was clipped and the Delta aircraft ‘sustained damage to the left winglet’ following the incident that took place shortly after 7pm Tuesday evening.

Here is the pilot and tower audio ATC tape.

sparky@home is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote