Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 23:21   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: thane
Posts: 281
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Mumbai -> Hubli -> Jogfalls -> Murudeshwar -> Kollur -> Sringeri -> Udupi

dear teambhpians

iam embarking on the abovementioned route on aug 25 in my honda city zx 2006.

i wanted to know answer to the following queries.

1 how is travel inn in hubli? do they offer rooms on 6hrly basis as mentioned in some internet reviews?

2 road conditions between hubli to jogfalls via yellapur sirsi siddapur jog falls

3 which place do i select to stay in murudeshwar rns residency or rns guesthouse?has anybody stayed in rns guesthouse?

4 what are the timings of kollur mookambika temple any dress code?

5 what are the timimgs of sharada temple and sringeri mutt what are the prasadam timings?

6 how much time will i take to traverse this route viz murdeshwar 7AM dep to kolllur temple darshan, then leave for sringeri take darshan leave sringeri and reach udupi for halt.has anybody taken this route thro vandse someshwar agumbe to sringeri?

regards

pravdr
pravdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 12:07   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravdr View Post

1 how is travel inn in hubli? do they offer rooms on 6hrly basis as mentioned in some internet reviews?

2 road conditions between hubli to jogfalls via yellapur sirsi siddapur jog falls

3 which place do i select to stay in murudeshwar rns residency or rns guesthouse?has anybody stayed in rns guesthouse?

4 what are the timings of kollur mookambika temple any dress code?

5 what are the timimgs of sharada temple and sringeri mutt what are the prasadam timings?

6 how much time will i take to traverse this route viz murdeshwar 7AM dep to kolllur temple darshan, then leave for sringeri take darshan leave sringeri and reach udupi for halt.has anybody taken this route thro vandse someshwar agumbe to sringeri?

regards

pravdr
1. No idea

2. Hubli-Yellapur-Sirsi-Siddapura-Jog falls is very good. Watch out for mine trucks in Hubli-Yellapur section. Yellapur-Sirsi-Siddapura-Jog Falls is very good. The road was newly laid and was good upto last month (should still be holding good)

3. RNS guest house is built for the budget traveller, while RNS residency is a complete hotel with a restaurant, swimming pool and other facilities. The tariff here is around 1300 bucks a night for a double room I think. I don't remember exactly. I would suggest you to stay here. Take my advice and ask for a room with a sea view.

There a resort (also owned by RNS) called Naveen Beach Resort nearby, you can enquire there also.

4. Kollur Mookambika temple closes doors at 12 noon and again opens in the evening. There is a dress code for men. No wearing shirts & banians inside the temple complex.

5. Sringeri temple is open till 8 in the evening. Prasadam will be given throughout the afternoon. The mutt I think is open till 3 pm (??)

6. Murdeshwar to Kollur should take you about an hour and a half max depending on traffic & Baindur to Kollur is a narrow single lane road.

Kollur to Sringeri should take you around 3 hours. The route is Kollur - Vandse - Shankarnarayana - Halady - Someshwara - Agumbe - Sringeri. This route is a single lane road, but it is good enough. Watch out for private buses though.

From Sringeri, the best route to Udupi would be Sringeri-Agumbe-Someshwara-Hebri-Manipal-Udupi. Road conditions have detiorated nearing Manipal.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 23:07   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: thane
Posts: 281
Thanked: 15 Times
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
1. No idea
--------------------
From Sringeri, the best route to Udupi would be Sringeri-Agumbe-Someshwara-Hebri-Manipal-Udupi. Road conditions have detiorated nearing Manipal.
thanks a million addy

pravdr
pravdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 23:36   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: thane
Posts: 281
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

[b]Note from Support: All your queries have been merged into one post. Please do not start a different thread / post for each query, and do not post the same question in multiple threads. Thanks![.b]


dear addy

are there any good joints to have food at jog falls.how is hotel mayura gersoppa? how much time will i cover the hubli jog falls distance as mentioned above.

dear addy

i will most probably staying at travel inn at hubli which actually is located between dharwad and hubli.can i save time by taking diversion off nh4 to yellapur without actually entering hubli town?

regards

pravdr

hi teambhpians

im starting on aug 25 5am morning on my way to a 7 day odyssey.

the route is mumbai-hubli-jogfalls-murudeshwar-kollur-sringeri-udupi-and back to mumbai

my query is about good halts at restaurants/plazas/ on the way where i wont have to leave nh4 to cut down on time.

although i have traversed upto kolhapur but i rarely stop except at the second food mall having subway ccd and bt outelt at bp pump on mumbai pune expressway.

im interested in knowing where i will get good food with clean facilities especially on nh4 at kolhapur/belgaum/

all suggestions are welcome as i may require some stops on my return journey as well close to pune.

how is hotel milan and sanman deluxe at belgaum for lunch they are of the same chain as ramdev international is.how is food at ramdev international.
any good dhabas on the way wd be welcome suggestions.

regards

pravdr

hi

any information regarding the water flow at jog falls and level in linganmakki dam?

im visiting jog on 26 aug i fervently wish for good rains.

regards

pravdr

hi

can someone please enlighten me about culinary delights in udupi.

iam aware of mitra samaj and dianas gadbad icecream but require more specific suggestions of what to order and specialities.

regards

pravdr
pravdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 23:48   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

I have stayed in RNS Guest House, it is old and not well-maintained.

Sringeri - I recollect that the Sharada temple closes at noon. And Sankaracharya gives darshan in the Mutt at 5 pm (or so I was told).
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 11:29   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,702
Thanked: 324 Times
Default

Waterflow at Jog falls is normal, But definetely it's worth a visit. Linganmakki is almost full.
RNS residency is 2500Rs/day for AC(including Tax). You also have NON AC rooms for 1800Rs
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 21:52   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: thane
Posts: 281
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Waterflow at Jog falls is normal, But definetely it's worth a visit. Linganmakki is almost full.
RNS residency is 2500Rs/day for AC(including Tax). You also have NON AC rooms for 1800Rs
thanks for the information sushrutha iam staying at rns residency.iam praying that lord varun is happy and heavens open up and the jog falls roars.

iam staring tomorrow morning 5am will get back on 31 afternoon hopefully.thereafter im looking forward to write a travelogue.

thanks once again

pravdr
pravdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 21:42   #8
BHPian
 
shashi63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: THANE
Posts: 199
Thanked: 237 Times
Default re: Mumbai -> Hubli -> Jogfalls -> Murudeshwar -> Kollur -> Sringeri -> Udupi

Dear Doctor,

I am planning to make a trip to Mookambika Temple in September. Plan to stay at Wild Woods Spa for some nature trails and Bird Watching! Since you have done this trip will appreciate your advise about the following.

a) Google maps shows a route via hubli using NH63. How good are the roads?
b) I have heard that NH63 has huge traffic jams due to truck traffic is this true and if so what time should i choose to drive?
c) any other alternative route?

Thanks!

Best Regards
Shashi
shashi63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 22:20   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,610
Thanked: 1,719 Times
Default re: Mumbai -> Hubli -> Jogfalls -> Murudeshwar -> Kollur -> Sringeri -> Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
Dear Doctor,

I am planning to make a trip to Mookambika Temple in September. Plan to stay at Wild Woods Spa for some nature trails and Bird Watching! Since you have done this trip will appreciate your advise about the following.

a) Google maps shows a route via hubli using NH63. How good are the roads?
b) I have heard that NH63 has huge traffic jams due to truck traffic is this true and if so what time should i choose to drive?
c) any other alternative route?

Thanks!

Best Regards
Shashi
NH63 is in very good condition.nothing to worry.once you reach nh17 the roads are average to bad with dense traffic as well all the way till Kundapura where you turn off for Kollur Mookambika.The NH4-NH63-NH17 combo is the best to go to Kollur.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 08:13   #10
BHPian
 
shashi63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: THANE
Posts: 199
Thanked: 237 Times
Thumbs up re: Mumbai -> Hubli -> Jogfalls -> Murudeshwar -> Kollur -> Sringeri -> Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
NH63 is in very good condition.nothing to worry.once you reach nh17 the roads are average to bad with dense traffic as well all the way till Kundapura where you turn off for Kollur Mookambika.The NH4-NH63-NH17 combo is the best to go to Kollur.
Thanks Ranjit,

We plan to stay at Hubli ( Present Day Gateway earlier Hotel Naveen on the first day and then move on from there on the second day to Wild Woods Spa that's a bit of Shirur.. was wondering if there are any good restaurants to eat / toilet facilities on route as I am travelling with my 11 year old son. Plan is stay to make Wild Woods Spa as our centre and then visit Kollur Mookambika and other nearby places. All suggestions / recommendations welcome..

Thanks!
shashi63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 21:55   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,610
Thanked: 1,719 Times
Default re: Mumbai -> Hubli -> Jogfalls -> Murudeshwar -> Kollur -> Sringeri -> Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
Thanks Ranjit,

We plan to stay at Hubli ( Present Day Gateway earlier Hotel Naveen on the first day and then move on from there on the second day to Wild Woods Spa that's a bit of Shirur.. was wondering if there are any good restaurants to eat / toilet facilities on route as I am travelling with my 11 year old son. Plan is stay to make Wild Woods Spa as our centre and then visit Kollur Mookambika and other nearby places. All suggestions / recommendations welcome..

Thanks!
Plenty of Kamats between Ankola and Kundapur.You will not go hungry on this road.Washrooms-best to depend on the outsides!
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 23:48   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 189
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Mumbai -> Hubli -> Jogfalls -> Murudeshwar -> Kollur -> Sringeri -> Udupi

Just bumping up an old thread.

Planning a trip from mumbai to sringeri, udupi, chikmaglur (not necessarily in that order).

I will be traveling with dependent elders and a child and hence would like to keep daily drive between 5 to 7 hours only, may be stretch a bit more on a odd day. The tentative plan is as follows

Day 1 - Mumbai to Pune (leave late afternoon) halt
Day 2 - Pune - Davengere (leave morning 7/8 am) halt
Day 3 - Davengere - Chikkamagaluru (SH76 via kadur)
Day 4 - Chikkamagaluru darshan
Day 5 - Chikkamagaluru - Sringeri (SH27 via aldur halt at sringeri)
Day 6 - Sringeri - Udupi (SH27/SH65 via agumbe, halt at udupi)
Day 7 - Udupi - ?? ( need inputs on return, can either head back to davengere or hubli)
Day 8 - ?? - Mumbai

As i mentioned earlier, i need to keep a slow pace during this trip to ensure folks do not get exhausted and also keep to a route which has enough facilities (food/washrooms) , good roads and less traffic. I do have the liberty of adding a day or two if required.

I have heard that the agumbe ghat is a bit tricky. Any specific precautions. Though i have driven around a bit, i usually do not relish the idea of a driving in traffic jammed steep ghat.

kindly do let me know if there are any recommended options for a good home/estate - stay available in chikkamagaluru

Appreciate your inputs.

Last edited by cyberwhizs : 9th January 2015 at 23:53.
cyberwhizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2015, 12:33   #13
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,584
Thanked: 8,553 Times
Default Re: Mumbai -> Hubli -> Jogfalls -> Murudeshwar -> Kollur -> Sringeri -> Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
Day 1 - Mumbai to Pune (leave late afternoon) halt
Day 2 - Pune - Davengere (leave morning 7/8 am) halt
Day 3 - Davengere - Chikkamagaluru (SH76 via kadur)
Day 4 - Chikkamagaluru darshan
Day 5 - Chikkamagaluru - Sringeri (SH27 via aldur halt at sringeri)
Day 6 - Sringeri - Udupi (SH27/SH65 via agumbe, halt at udupi)
Day 7 - Udupi - ?? ( need inputs on return, can either head back to davengere or hubli)
Day 8 - ?? - Mumbai
I would suggest staying at Pune may not help much. You lose time getting in and out. If you start from Bombay early, you should be able make up till Kolhapur by noon. Makes for a perfect break. You can visit the Mahalakshmi temple too.

For the second break, I think you can drive up to Chikkamagulur. The reason I say that is because, on 4-lane roads, fatigue levels are lower and you can cover more distances. Especially if you can start early, you can cover more distances.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2015, 12:38   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 189
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: Mumbai -> Hubli -> Jogfalls -> Murudeshwar -> Kollur -> Sringeri -> Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would suggest staying at Pune may not help much. You lose time getting in and out. If you start from Bombay early, you should be able make up till Kolhapur by noon. Makes for a perfect break. You can visit the Mahalakshmi temple too.

For the second break, I think you can drive up to Chikkamagulur. The reason I say that is because, on 4-lane roads, fatigue levels are lower and you can cover more distances. Especially if you can start early, you can cover more distances.
Thanks. Any idea on the road conditions - i.e. state highways and internal roads? and approx time it will take on the sections.
cyberwhizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2015, 13:22   #15
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,584
Thanked: 8,553 Times
Default Re: Mumbai -> Hubli -> Jogfalls -> Murudeshwar -> Kollur -> Sringeri -> Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
Thanks. Any idea on the road conditions - i.e. state highways and internal roads? and approx time it will take on the sections.
@cyberwhizs

Typo in my previous message. I meant I would "NOT" suggest staying at Pune.


On Road conditions:

Mumbai-Pune : Expressway
Pune-Satara-Kolhapur : 4-lane but traffic. A bit rough around Satara.
Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli-Ranebennur: Brilliant 4-lane and low on traffic on the KA side
Ranebennur-Honnali-Shimoga : The only rough patch of the segment.

Shimoga-Tarikere-Chikkamagulur: Good decent SH.

Hotels:

- Sai International before Kolhapur bypass
- MAC on the Kolhapur bypass
- A slew of Vittal Kamats on the way till Sankeshwar
- A Slew of Kamats on the way (after Sankeshwar on KA side)
- Shimoga has Jewel Rock and Royal Orchid.


Chikkamgulur-Sringeri : CKM-Aldur-Balehonnur-Jayapura-Sringeri : Nice twisty roads surrounded by coffee estates. Its a beautiful spectacle.
Sringeri-Udupi : Sringeri-Bajagoli-Karkala-Udupi Good roads till Bajagoli and there its a OK.

For Return:

Udupi-Hebri-Someshwar-Agumbe-Thirthahalli-Shimoga-Honnali-Ranebennur-Hubli-Mumabi
Break options: Shimoga (Jewel Rock/Royal Orchid)
Hubli : Clarks Inn (Its a bit farther)

Last edited by ampere : 10th January 2015 at 13:27.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mumbai Hubli Jogfalls Murudeshwar Kollur Sringeri Udupi Kolhapur Mumbai pravdr Travelogues 91 15th April 2014 11:14
Horanadu,Sringeri,Kollur,Gokarna,Udupi,Karkala,Moo dbidri,Mangalore,Dharmasthala,Kukke daisyb Travelogues 43 7th February 2014 14:34
Tirthayathre: Kukke-Dharmasthala-Udipi-Murudeshwar-Kollur-Sringeri-Hornadu crazydrives Travelogues 20 12th September 2013 18:10
Mumbai-Shirali-Murudeshwar-Udupi-Vittal-Mumbai magiceye Travelogues 10 14th May 2009 15:05
Kukke-D'sthala-Kateel-Udupi-Kollur-Sringeri-Hornadu-Kalasa A Pilgrimage BomBatt Travelogues 36 8th October 2008 18:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks