Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 27th August 2009, 16:11   #1
BHPian

Default Anyone been to Muzhappilangad Drive-in Beach?

We were in the lookout for a 2 days trip and the topic of Muzhappilangad Drive-in beach came into picture. Has anyone been to this place?

I could not find much info about this place online. We are planning for this trip next month. I had few questions about this place.

1. Is this a safe beach?
2. Can we pitch tents and stay in this area? Is the climate favorable(no rains)?
3. Is there any home stays or hotels nearby?
4. What are the other places that we can see if we plan for the beach on saturday evening?

Consider our whole trip starting on Friday evening from Bangalore and back in Bangalore by Sunday late night.

Please help, as the trip to this place depends on your feedback.
ArunV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 14:37   #2
BHPian

Yes, I have been to this place quite a number of times as I used to live in Thalassery. But this was some 5 years ago, but I sincerely hope things have not changed much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
We were in the lookout for a 2 days trip and the topic of Muzhappilangad Drive-in beach came into picture. Has anyone been to this place?
Quote:
1. Is this a safe beach?
The last time I saw of it, it is safe during the usual day-time. Early morning fishermen folk use this beach. Nights , I have no idea. Look for the continuation of this in second answer.

Quote:
2. Can we pitch tents and stay in this area? Is the climate favorable(no rains)?
IMHO, it might not be a good idea to pitch tents and stay in this area. The infrastructure around the area might not be as good. So you can stay at Thalasserry (8 km) or Kannur (20+km)

Quote:
In the second answer

Quote:
4. What are the other places that we can see if we plan for the beach on saturday evening?
If you are in Kannur, you can visit pappinissery snake park(30 kms off Kannur ), Angelo fort ( Kannur ) and hmmm..Bekal fort ( Kasargode )?. The last one might be far, but its a beautiful place. And then food wise , if you are non-vegeterian, go to Paris (old) in Thalasserry to have delectable biriyani's ( I miss those !)

About the Beach
The best thing with this beach is that you can drive through the beach and have lots of fun. Dont overdo it and keep riding the waves in sane limits. I have umpteen number of times driven there in my dad's M-800 and also honed my driving skills there. Towards the evening, cricket playing folks come and occupy the beaches, so the best bet would be to go there in morning time. Its a beach stretch of around 4.7 kms of full visibility from end to end. Dont go there expecting a goan-beach where you can swim.
santhosh_kumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 14:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Is it a busy spot like other beaches? How far is Bekal fort from here (distance/time)?
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 20:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I could not find much info about this place online. We are planning for this trip next month. I had few questions about this place.

1. Is this a safe beach?

Consider our whole trip starting on Friday evening from Bangalore and back in Bangalore by Sunday late night.

Please help, as the trip to this place depends on your feedback.

O'yes!!! enjoyed the beach...look at my travelogue (Reclaiming "Gods Own Country- Kerala" (Tellicherry and Kannur)) , now for the answers.

1. Yes, its shallow and waves are calm, you can go for a swim if you want to.

2. No its a wide open beach but I do not think you are allowed to pitch tents there, but you can try in the adjoining cocunut farms if their owners allow you to.

3. Decent ones are only in Tellicherry or Kannur, go through the travelogue.

4. Again have a look at the travelogue.

dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 21:46   #5
BHPian

Have been there last in 2006, very clean beach and shallow waters, did'nt see any campers there though and like the others have already mentioned, you need to head to either Kannur or Thalassery for good food ! Bekal Fort will be around 90kms up north from Kannur !

Last edited by kannan666 : 29th August 2009 at 21:50.
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 11:54   #6
BHPian

Default route to Bekal fort?

@Santhosh: Thanks a lot. Even our main attraction is the fact that we can drive in the beach.

@Dadu: Wondeful travelogue with lots of info.
@kannan: I think we will add Bekal fort also in the chart.

BTW, can we come back directly from Kasargod to bangalore? Is the route highlighted in the map a good option? Or should we come to kannur and follow the same route?

We are planning to include Bekal fort as the first place to see or the last one.

Regards,
Arun
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone been to Muzhappilangad Drive-in Beach?-bangalore-kasagod.jpg  

Old 30th August 2009, 12:17   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Dadu, can our puny FWD cars be driven on this beach as well? I have been looking for a beach where we can shoot some car pics. But entry to most beaches would end up with the cars getting stuck in sand.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 13:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, can we come back directly from Kasargod to bangalore? Is the route highlighted in the map a good option? Or should we come to kannur and follow the same route?

We are planning to include Bekal fort as the first place to see or the last one.
You can also try this route : Kasargod - Aduru - Sulya - Madikeri - Siddapura - Periyapatna - Hunsur - Bilikere - Eliwala - Srirangapatna - Mandya - Bangalore

Am not too sure about current road condition on the Kasargod Sulya route, maybe other BHPians can throw some light on this. You can go directly from Madikeri via Kushalnagar but the stretch is horrible, so that is why I suggest Siddapura. Again, roads from Bangalore to Siddapura are in a decent condition, don't know of current road condition of Madikeri Siddapura but should be better than Madikeri Kushalnagar.

Last edited by kannan666 : 30th August 2009 at 13:45.
Old 30th August 2009, 15:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Dadu, can our puny FWD cars be driven on this beach as well? I have been looking for a beach where we can shoot some car pics. But entry to most beaches would end up with the cars getting stuck in sand.
yes, i think we can take our normal cars also in this beach. Ans so the name 'Drive-in Beach'. We dont need a 4WD in this beach.
See the reply from santhosh_kumard also in this thread(1st reply). He says about driving a M800 in this beach.
Old 30th August 2009, 19:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very very much, the beach sand is quite hard(otherwise a 4x2 2 tonner can easily get stuck there) and you are under estimating a FwD, you can see a Verna in one of the backgrounds and I also saw an Alto doing the run on the beach when I was there.

The alto was doing all sorts of crazy stunts on the beach

Last edited by dadu : 30th August 2009 at 19:02.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 21:17   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, you can. I have driven my Esteem when I had been there and it is a front wheel drive !
Old 30th August 2009, 21:28   #12
BANNED

Nice! So now I know where to drive down to for my next weekend getaway . Thanks guys.
Old 31st August 2009, 02:23   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Yes you can aaraam se drive your fwd. Just make sure you dont stop at a wave-region for more than 5-10 minutes ( because there is a probability of slight sinking ).
santhosh_kumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 07:48   #14
BHPian

Rahul, have a look at the photo below. Had been there in the OHC, the roads from Mananthavady to Kannur were so bad that I ended up busting a lower arm there...

This was sometime during diwali '06. I did try a couple of stints in the beach sand, but guess it depends on how hard the sand is at various places... even if you do get stuck, there are plenty of jeepers at the entrance of the beach who can tow you out.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone been to Muzhappilangad Drive-in Beach?-dscn1460.jpg  

Harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 10:53   #15
BANNED

Wonderful! Tadu, KB, Rajeev, Shyam, Satya, are you guys listening ?