Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2009, 00:03   #1
BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 567
Thanked: 147 Times
Default 2 days around Thekkady & Cochin

Here is the high level plan
Day1, 29th Aug: Reach Kumily by late evening/night and stay there
Day2, 30th Aug: KTDC boat trip in Thekkady, Nature Walks etc
Leave for Cochin by late afternoon or evening
Day3, 31st Aug: Roam around Cochin, Fort Kochi, Shipyard, JewTown etc
Leave for Bangalore @8 P.M.

Is there any place we can cover on the way from Thekkady to Cochin? If we for some reason cover Thekkady very quickly, then we need this option.
Also, what are the major attractions in and around Cochin? Can we cover them in one day? Please suggest some good location to stay in Cochin/Ernakulam (If you can give hotel names the better).

Thanks,
Jag

PS: We are 3 guys, backpacking and would rely on public transport. Want this to be a leisurely trip with enough time for photography etc.
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 01:21   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,613
Thanked: 1,719 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Here is the high level plan
Day1, 29th Aug: Reach Kumily by late evening/night and stay there
Day2, 30th Aug: KTDC boat trip in Thekkady, Nature Walks etc
Leave for Cochin by late afternoon or evening
Day3, 31st Aug: Roam around Cochin, Fort Kochi, Shipyard, JewTown etc
Leave for Bangalore @8 P.M.

Is there any place we can cover on the way from Thekkady to Cochin? If we for some reason cover Thekkady very quickly, then we need this option.
Also, what are the major attractions in and around Cochin? Can we cover them in one day? Please suggest some good location to stay in Cochin/Ernakulam (If you can give hotel names the better).

Thanks,
Jag

PS: We are 3 guys, backpacking and would rely on public transport. Want this to be a leisurely trip with enough time for photography etc.
KTDC conducts a boat cruise which covers Jew Town,Bolghatty Palace,Mattancherry,Fort Kochi via the kochi harbour.do the cruise its worth it.

1st Tour - 9.30 am to 1.00 pm
2nd Tour - 2.00 pm to 5.30 pm
Fare Rs.150/- per person
Places covered: Dutch Palace (Friday Holiday), Synagogue (Friday & Saturday Holiday), St.Francis church (Sunday Holiday), Chinese Fishing Nets with view of Willington Island, Harbour and Bolgatty Island.

The trips begin from the tourism reception center at shanmugham road.ph:0484-2353234

some of the hotels that i can think of are the following:

1.Bharat Hotel: 0484 2353501 BTH
2.Grand Hotel: 0484 2382061 Welcome to Grand Hotel, Cochin.. And welcome to Grand's Cochin..
3,Harbour View 2358444 Hotel Harbour View - Home
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 13:56   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,790
Thanked: 513 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
some of the hotels that i can think of are the following:

1.Bharat Hotel: 0484 2353501 BTH
2.Grand Hotel: 0484 2382061 Welcome to Grand Hotel, Cochin.. And welcome to Grand's Cochin..
3,Harbour View 2358444 Hotel Harbour View - Home
Grand Hotel, M G Road - 1800/2100+taxes (Good)
+ The Woods Manor, MG Road - 0484-2382055 -1990/2490+taxes
+ Casino hotel, Willington Island - 0484 - 2668421 3740/4715 (incl. taxes)

Above are the published rates for Single/Double occupancy. There are lot of hotels & home stays to fit in your budget.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 16:02   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 29
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

> Is there any place we can cover on the way from Thekkady to Cochin?
Try out Gavi.
:: welcome :: Gavi Eco Tourism ::
haripg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 17:28   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,790
Thanked: 513 Times
Default

You can even go through Kumarakom or Vagamon but you have only two days to spare :(
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 07:38   #6
BHPian
 
Speed-Gladiator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore, Tiruvalla
Posts: 79
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Has anybody done any recent trips to GAVI ?, An Eco tourist place near Thekkady. I heard it is nice place to visit. I have a plan to visit Thekkady, Ramkkalmedu, Gavi. Please suggest the driving directions, and Road conditions in this area. I have 3 days and planned to stay in Kattappana on both days.
Speed-Gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 12:43   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
hellstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
Has anybody done any recent trips to GAVI ?, An Eco tourist place near Thekkady. I heard it is nice place to visit. I have a plan to visit Thekkady, Ramkkalmedu, Gavi. Please suggest the driving directions, and Road conditions in this area. I have 3 days and planned to stay in Kattappana on both days.
@Speed-Gladiator , i believe you have started a separate thread for this , please await responses in that thread and avoid posting similar queries in disconnected threads.
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 18:27   #8
ncm
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hi. Can anyone please suggest the best route from mumbai to varkala. We have 11 days and we would also like to stop in coorg, cochin and kumarakom. Please suggest the best possible route along with distances. Also we are open to any other place in kerala instead of cochin. Thanks.
ncm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cochin-Goa-Mumbai-Bangalore-Cochin sudheermenon Route / Travel Queries 16 6th October 2016 13:28
Trivandrum-Thekkady-Alleppey-Cochin wheretonext Route / Travel Queries 21 3rd February 2014 17:59
Thekkady Vacation - Four days, three nights, two places, one family SafeDrive Travelogues 129 4th September 2010 19:32
Kodaikanal or Munnar or Thekkady - Which place is better for 2 days in April? ashwinsid Route / Travel Queries 16 13th May 2010 17:21
Bangalore - Cochin - Thekkady - Alleppy - Cochin - Bangalore SBR Travelogues 18 19th August 2009 20:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:20.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks