Old 31st August 2009, 12:46   #1
Default Trip To Khirsu

Hi all,

Planning for a trip to Khirsu on the Sep first week.The plan is as follows

-> Start Friday early morning and reach Khirsu by 5 PM
-> Seeing around and relaxing on Saturday
-> Return Journey on Sunday

Here are my queries

a) How are the roads in that area (especially at this time of the year)with respect to moonsoons.I have a new indica vista,so are the roads only jeepable or can they be travelled by sedans and hatchbacks.

b) Places to see in Khirsu(I know it is just a place to relax.However any ideas about treks around the area would be welcome)

c) Conservative time estimate for travel from Noida to Khirsu(My intial estimate is about 11-12 hours) and best route

hdi_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 18:56   #2

I think you talking about Khirsu near Pauri?

Someone mentioned recently that the diversion road ( from Kotdwar - Srinagar road)to Khirsu is not in a good condition.
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 19:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Khirsu can be accessed through one of two routes:
1. Noida >> Hardwar >> Rishikesh >> Devprayag >> Srinagar >> Pauri >> Khirsu;
2. Noida >> Meerut >> Bijnor >> Kotdwar >> Dogadda >> Lansdowne (bypass) >> Satpuli >> Pauri >> Khirsu.

Option 1 is a good road but longer by some 45 km.

Option 2 is faster and shorter, but the stretch of road between Satpuli and Pauri is prone to landslides, and was being repaired and widened when I went that way in June last year.

After the onset of monsoon this year, I am not sure about the Dogadda-Satpuli-Pauri road condition, but I would expect it to be in better condition than it was last year!

Check out my album from that trip at Khirsu and Pauri, Uttarakhand, India pictures from india photos on webshots. You'll get an idea of the existing road conditions at that time too. Your Vista should comfortably be able to take either of the roads.

Travel time should be about 11 hours via Devprayag, 10 hours via Satpuli.

There's a beautiful meadow just behind the KMVN at Khirsu, with a forest beyond it. Great place for extended walks to the nearby villages. No organised treks, though, at least I am not aware of any.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote