Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 1st December 2011, 18:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Hyderabad -> Sikkim -> Bhutan Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Thanks hvkumar. Can you please elaborate this Kharagpur-Kolkata-Darjeeling More route? I am not able to locate this on google?
Check out this Google Map link for the route:
NH 6 to Siliguri, West Bengal, India - Google Maps
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 20:45   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad - Sikkim Route queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Thanks Sutripta. This is not finalized. Which place do you suggest to stay on the way to darjeeling? Would it be possible to drive to darjeeling from W bengal in a day (14 hrs)?
Hi,
Would suggest NH6 - NH2 to Bardhaman. Then take newly christened NH2B to Shantiniketan. From Shantiniketan, take Massanjore route through Jharkhand/ Bihar. (The Massanjore route is the suggestion of other BHPians. I have not done this route.)

Advantages are you have the option of 3 night halts - Calcutta, Bardhman, or Shantiniketan. Also NH2B, though narrow is (was a couple of months back) in far better condition than Darjiling More onwards. And you avoid Panagarh.

Malda (on the traditional route) to Darj can be done in a day.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 23:24   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad - Sikkim Route queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Would suggest NH6 - NH2 to Bardhaman. Then take newly christened NH2B to Shantiniketan. From Shantiniketan, take Massanjore route through Jharkhand/ Bihar. (The Massanjore route is the suggestion of other BHPians. I have not done this route.)
Few days ago I sent a PM to T-BHPian Sheel to know more about this route. He has suggested that while taking this route, one has to reach Dumka, which is pretty close to Messanjore. From Dumka the road goes north to a place called Hansdiha, where the road from Deoghar & Godda meets. Dumka to Bhagalpur the distance is about 115 KM and Bhagalpur to Purnea is about another 90 KM. Although the distance is significantly more, the roads of Bihar are good.
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 10:02   #19
BHPian

Windsurfer sorry for the late reply as logged in today after a long gap.
(In facebook 24/7/365 days a year though:-P}

You will enjoy the crisp clear mornings of Sikkim at this time of the year minus the monsoon rains. Just make sure to walk around MG road checking a few hotel rooms and getting the discount quote from each before checking into one.

Roads are not in their usual winter best now because of post quake operations and heavy plus slow traffic may make each journey longer than usual.

You may bring along unused winter clothing lying at home and donate it to some needy locals or ngo working on post quake operations.

On way you may want to break journey at Kalimpong which is just half an hour off from Gangtok highway after crossing Teesta bridge point. "Windsongs" hotel is a cosy romantic small family run property that you guys would love, in case Kalimpong can be accomodated.

Happy travelling ;-)

San
San Phrangmung is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 19:10   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
Windsurfer sorry for the late reply as logged in today after a long gap.
(In facebook 24/7/365 days a year though:-P}

You will enjoy the crisp clear mornings of Sikkim at this time of the year minus the monsoon rains. Just make sure to walk around MG road checking a few hotel rooms and getting the discount quote from each before checking into one.

Roads are not in their usual winter best now because of post quake operations and heavy plus slow traffic may make each journey longer than usual.

You may bring along unused winter clothing lying at home and donate it to some needy locals or ngo working on post quake operations.

On way you may want to break journey at Kalimpong which is just half an hour off from Gangtok highway after crossing Teesta bridge point. "Windsongs" hotel is a cosy romantic small family run property that you guys would love, in case Kalimpong can be accomodated.

Happy travelling ;-)

San
Thanks, Can you please confirm if route via Bihar is the best option (Dumka, Bhagalpur) now or do i have another option?

Last edited by windsurfer : 4th December 2011 at 19:12.
windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 14:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Check out this Google Map link for the route:
NH 6 to Siliguri, West Bengal, India - Google Maps
Hi All and HVKumar sir, just updating you all on the road situation here in darjeeling. As of today, all taxi's and private cars are being advised to stop using Rohini Rd which will be repaired starting next week. All traffic going to Darjeeling from Siliguri will now go via Mirik. The taxi Fare in a Sumo used to be Rs. 100, now it will be Rs 140 to accommodate the extra kms added due to the detour.

The return journey to Siliguri from Darjeeling will be via the Pankhabari road (Same as before). This road is a one way street from 7am-6:30pm when only down traffic (to siliguri) is allowed.

And as mentioned before in my posts, the section of NH 55 between Siliguri to Kurseong is still closed due to multiple land slides with no news of opening in the foreseeable future. This highway closed down in july 2010. Cant believe this is a National Highway and it has not been opened for over 1.5 years.
amrisharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 14:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Hi All and HVKumar sir, just updating you all on the road situation here in darjeeling. As of today, all taxi's and private cars are being advised to stop using Rohini Rd which will be repaired starting next week. All traffic going to Darjeeling from Siliguri will now go via Mirik. The taxi Fare in a Sumo used to be Rs. 100, now it will be Rs 140 to accommodate the extra kms added due to the detour.

The return journey to Siliguri from Darjeeling will be via the Pankhabari road (Same as before). This road is a one way street from 7am-6:30pm when only down traffic (to siliguri) is allowed.

And as mentioned before in my posts, the section of NH 55 between Siliguri to Kurseong is still closed due to multiple land slides with no news of opening in the foreseeable future. This highway closed down in july 2010. Cant believe this is a National Highway and it has not been opened for over 1.5 years.
Thanks for the update! I am surprised that the NH is still closed down - being repaired or abandoned?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 14:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update! I am surprised that the NH is still closed down - being repaired or abandoned?
You are most welcome, thought i would specifically inform you as you must get a lot of queries about routes and all from other members. About NH55, well I dont think they can ever abandon it as the Darjeeling toy trains tracks run on it. And as we all know, as of 1999 the train has been a World Heritage Site as listed by UNESCO. On top of that trucks need that road, because the biggest load carriers that can handle the Rohini road are the Swaraj mazda semi-trucks, no bigger.

The delay in repairing is due to the fact that the landslide has not occurred from the top of the road, but the slide has actually happened below the road, thereby taking the road with it. In one place the engineers say they have to start construction from 100ft below the old road and build up to road level as thats how far down they have to go to find firm ground.

More updates as and when it happens.

Last edited by amrisharm : 7th December 2011 at 14:42.
amrisharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 12:36   #24
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post the same query in multiple threads on the forum. That counts as SPAMMING. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 12th February 2012 at 13:40.
ajitsank is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 19th May 2012, 02:55   #25
BHPian

Default Help in Planning Hyderabad to North East - June 29th to July 15th

The time to test the true capabilities of my Safari 4x4 is coming up. We are 4 friends(All guys) and we have been doing short trips for a long time. But we decided it was time to join the bigger league. So we all applied for a 2 weeks leave in July and surprisingly all the leaves were approved. The dates are June 29th to July 15th. 2 weeks is too short time a for Leh and Ladakh. So we decided it was time to head to North East.

After going through a lot of travelogues, (especially from ADC and HVK), we shortlisted the following 4 places.
  1. North Sikkim ( Gurudongmor )
  2. Bhutan East West Drive that HVK had done
  3. Tawang and SeLa pass
  4. Kibithoo

We understand that it is impossible to visit all these 4 places in a span of 16 days. So we want to cover atleast 2 of these. We have come up with 2 route options
  • Option 1- Hyderabad - Bhutan (East - West Drive) - Tawang - Hyderabad
  • Option 2 - Hyderabad - Tawang - Kibithoo - Hyderabad

I have mentioned a summary of the plan for option 1 and 2 below

Option 1:
Day 0 : Hyderabad - Vijayawada
Day 1 : Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneshwar - Kolkata
Day 2 : Kolkata - Siliguri - Jaigaon (Night Stay)
Day 3 : Early Morning Start - Jaigaon - Phuentsholing (Get the Visa and Drive permit upto Thimphu) - Thimphu ( Night Stay)
Day 4 : Take Drive permits to the drive through the remaining parts of Bhutan. Roam Around Thimphu
Day 5 : Thimphu - Paro - Drukyel Dzong - Trongsa - Bumthang (Night Stay at Bumthang)
Day 6 : Early Morning Start - Bumthang - Mongar - Trashigang ( Night at Trashigang)
Day 7 : Trashigang - Dantak - Reach India - Samdrup - Guwahati - Take permissions in Guwahati for the drive through Arunachal Pradesh
Day 8 : Guwahati - Dhirang
Day 9 : Dhirang - SeLa Pass - Tawang
Day 10 : Tawang - Peding Teng Tso – Sangetsar – Tawang
Day 11 : Tawang – Bumla – Tgompa – P Tso lake – Tawang
Day 12 : Tawang – LumLa –Zemithang – Urgelling – Tawang
Day 13 : Tawang – Sela Pass – Dhirang – Guwahati
Day 14 : Guwahati - Kolkata
Day 15 : Kolkata - Vishakapatnam
Day 16 : Vishakapatnam - Hyderabad

Concerns:
1. We are travelling during Monsoon season and driving through Bhutan would mean driving through Land Slide zone areas. Does anyone recommend going through Bhutan during this time?
2. Is Day 7 possible? It looks extremely tight for me.
3. Any potential problems of Land Slides in the route from Guwahati to Tawang?
4. Is Diesel available in these roads? We are carrying 100 litres of extra diesel, but we wanted to know how bad the diesel availability in these regions is.
5. We all have passports and so I am hoping that we would get the permits quickly.

Option 2:
Day 2 : Kolkata - Siliguri - We will reach by 12 noon to Siliguri. Take rest till night and start for Guwhati during the night and reach Guwahati early morning.
Day 3 : Take permissions to Arunachal Pradesh at Guwahati and then head towards Dhirang
Day 4 : Dhirang - SeLa Pass - Tawang
Day 5 : Tawang - Peding Teng Tso – Sangetsar – Tawang
Day 6 : Tawang – Bumla – Tgompa – P Tso lake – Tawang
Day 7 : Tawang – LumLa –Zemithang – Urgelling – Tawang
Day 8 : Tawang – Sela Pass – Dhirang
Day 9 : Dirank - Itanagar
Day 10 : Itanagar - Ziro - Dapogiro
Day 11 : Dapogiro - Along - Pasighat - Shilapather
Day 12 : Shilapather - Ferry (Boat) - Dibrugarh - Tinsukhia - Dirak - Parashuram Kund - Hayuliang
Day 13 : Hayuliang - Kibithu
Day 14 : Kibithu - Itanagar
Day 15 : Guwahati - Siliguri
Day 16 - Siliguri - Kolkata
Day 17 - Kolkata - Vishakapatnam
Day 18 - Vishakapatnam - Hyderabad

Concerns:
1. This is exceeding the 16 days by 2 days. Could the fellow team-bhpians suggest any places where we can cut time
2. We have no news of Arunachal pradesh or the route conditions. It would be really helpful if someone from the forum enlighten me with the conditions. (By conditions I mean political conflicts, bandhs, Land slide prone areas and so on).

Between these two options, I could not fit Gurudongmor into the plans. I am open to suggestions from other team-bhpians. We have no preference about which 2 we want to cover.

Additional Pointers:
1 We are 3 experienced drivers and We are planning to go from Hyderabad to Siliguri at a stretch with no stops in between apart for the usual food and rest rooms. So I think it is possible to do a Hyd - Siliguri stretch in 2.5 days maximum.
2. Once we reach the first destination, either Siliguri or any other place, we do not plan to do night driving. We want to visit all the places during day time. We would prefer travelling throughout the day and reach the next destination in the evening/night. Stay for the night and leave for next destination the following day. We would like to cover all the places around the destination in the journey itself.
3. Seeing SNOW is utmost priority for us. So will there be snow in SeLa Pass and Tawang?
4. We would be open to other suggestions like Chirrapunjee as well. However, apart from North Sikkim we are not too much concentrating on travelling in Sikkim because we think Sikkim is easily accessible by Flight and Trains. And it sees a lot of tourism. So it would not be difficult for us to go to Sikkim in future.

Thanks a lot in advance for the help.

Appendix:
My route planning is based on the information shared by HVK and ADC. I have mentioned the links below:

HVK East West Bhutan Drive and to Kibithoo
https://sites.google.com/site/hvkumar/kumar'snortheastdrivingholiday

ADC Travelogue to North Sikkim
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ni-tajpur.html (Safari Dicor2.2 VTT-TMT 1.5year Grand OT[Extreme-Exclusive N Sikkim&Mandarmoni/Tajpur)

ADC Travelogue to Tawang - Nameri and SeLa pass
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...eri-assam.html (Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam])

AP To AP drive by Raveendrra
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...eet-party.html (AP to AP: In search of a white X-mas and found a street party!)

I have also looked at other Travel queries through North East, but I could not find the specific advice I am looking for. However the following thread by MileCruncher was very useful
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-vacation.html (Hyderabad to Tawang via Bhutan: What to do in a 20 day vacation?)

Last edited by himavanth_m : 19th May 2012 at 02:56.
himavanth_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 14:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Help in Planning Hyderabad to North East - June 29th to July 15th

I think this is the wrong time to go to the North East because of the rains. It rains like hell, many roads get affected and general tempo in the tourist spots is at low ebb. Honestly, I would reschedule the drive to a time after the monsoons. Especially so for most places in Arunachal. Even river ferries get cancelled.

You will not see snow anywhere, whether it is Sel la, Tawang or any other place. Roads leading to Tawang, etc will be rivers of mud, difficult for even 4WDs.

Quote:
Option 1:
Day 2 : Kolkata - Siliguri - Jaigaon (Night Stay)
Day 3 : Early Morning Start - Jaigaon - Phuentsholing (Get the Visa and Drive permit upto Thimphu) - Thimphu ( Night Stay)
Day 4 : Take Drive permits to the drive through the remaining parts of Bhutan. Roam Around Thimphu
Day 5 : Thimphu - Paro - Drukyel Dzong - Trongsa - Bumthang (Night Stay at Bumthang)
Day 6 : Early Morning Start - Bumthang - Mongar - Trashigang ( Night at Trashigang)
Day 7 : Trashigang - Dantak - Reach India - Samdrup - Guwahati - Take permissions in Guwahati for the drive through Arunachal Pradesh
Day 8 : Guwahati - Dhirang
Day 9 : Dhirang - SeLa Pass - Tawang
Day 10 : Tawang - Peding Teng Tso – Sangetsar – Tawang
Day 11 : Tawang – Bumla – Tgompa – P Tso lake – Tawang
Day 12 : Tawang – LumLa –Zemithang – Urgelling – Tawang
Day 13 : Tawang – Sela Pass – Dhirang – Guwahati
Day 14 : Guwahati - Kolkata
Day 15 : Kolkata - Vishakapatnam
Day 16 : Vishakapatnam - Hyderabad

Concerns:
1. We are travelling during Monsoon season and driving through Bhutan would mean driving through Land Slide zone areas. Does anyone recommend going through Bhutan during this time?
2. Is Day 7 possible? It looks extremely tight for me.
3. Any potential problems of Land Slides in the route from Guwahati to Tawang?
4. Is Diesel available in these roads? We are carrying 100 litres of extra diesel, but we wanted to know how bad the diesel availability in these regions is.
5. We all have passports and so I am hoping that we would get the permits quickly.
Bhutan also will have lots of problems in its highways once the rains begin. The Jaigaon-Thimphu road itself faces landslides. The high passes on the West-East highway also can get blocked.

Doing Guwahati-KOlkata in a day is indeed one of teh toughest drives you will ever have. Even before the rains, most of the roads are in a mess, expect it to deteriorate once the rains start.

Day 7 is possible. But you may not be able to get your permits that day because the Govt office may be closed. It is a better idea to get the permits arranged through a travel agent well in advance.

Diesel refilling has to be planned in advance. In the Guwahati-Tawang route, no problem.
In the West-East Bhutan route, check my log book for info on the petrol pumps, which are there at least once every 200 kms or so. You need not carry extra diesel in the car.

With your passports, getting the visas/permits will be faster. Make sure you arrive on a working day.

Quote:
Option 2:
Day 2 : Kolkata - Siliguri - We will reach by 12 noon to Siliguri. Take rest till night and start for Guwhati during the night and reach Guwahati early morning.
Day 3 : Take permissions to Arunachal Pradesh at Guwahati and then head towards Dhirang
Day 4 : Dhirang - SeLa Pass - Tawang
Day 5 : Tawang - Peding Teng Tso – Sangetsar – Tawang
Day 6 : Tawang – Bumla – Tgompa – P Tso lake – Tawang
Day 7 : Tawang – LumLa –Zemithang – Urgelling – Tawang
Day 8 : Tawang – Sela Pass – Dhirang
Day 9 : Dirank - Itanagar
Day 10 : Itanagar - Ziro - Dapogiro
Day 11 : Dapogiro - Along - Pasighat - Shilapather
Day 12 : Shilapather - Ferry (Boat) - Dibrugarh - Tinsukhia - Dirak - Parashuram Kund - Hayuliang
Day 13 : Hayuliang - Kibithu
Day 14 : Kibithu - Itanagar
Day 15 : Guwahati - Siliguri
Day 16 - Siliguri - Kolkata
Day 17 - Kolkata - Vishakapatnam
Day 18 - Vishakapatnam - Hyderabad

Concerns:
1. This is exceeding the 16 days by 2 days. Could the fellow team-bhpians suggest any places where we can cut time
2. We have no news of Arunachal pradesh or the route conditions. It would be really helpful if someone from the forum enlighten me with the conditions. (By conditions I mean political conflicts, bandhs, Land slide prone areas and so on).

Between these two options, I could not fit Gurudongmor into the plans. I am open to suggestions from other team-bhpians. We have no preference about which 2 we want to cover.
I doubt if the road to Kibithu will be open once the rains start. Even if it is, you will face lots of dislocations en route because it is a very heavy rain region.

I was told that the Shilapather ferry (Bogbil-Kareng) will be suspended during the heavy rainy season. In any case, approach roads to the ferry point will just not be motorable.

Day 14 - drive from Kibithu to Itanagar? Why Itanagar - it does not make any sense. It is not on the way to Guwahati. If you leave in the morning, the best you can do in best drive conditions is Dibrugarh or Jorhat by the night.

Touring around Tawang - at best 1 day. Why 3 days?

Bandhs, hartals - common place all over the North East, mostly in Assam (different regions, different problems) and also in Arunachal. Nothing can be predicted, and if you have a tight schedule, don't expect to return on time if you are unlucky to be in the epicentre around the time of any of those bandhs or hartals.

I think you should avoid Sikkhim, since both Bhutan & Arunachal itself are full trips, no room for anything else. Even North Sikkhim will face lots of problems of accessibility during rainy season.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 20:05   #27
BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad -> Sikkim -> Bhutan Query

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Quote:
I think this is the wrong time to go to the North East because of the rains. It rains like hell, many roads get affected and general tempo in the tourist spots is at low ebb. Honestly, I would reschedule the drive to a time after the monsoons. Especially so for most places in Arunachal. Even river ferries get cancelled.
We have already taken vacation with utmost difficulty. The problem for us is not getting 2 weeks leave. The problem is getting 2 weeks leave for all at the same time. So cancelling the trip is not an option for us.

Quote:
I doubt if the road to Kibithu will be open once the rains start. Even if it is, you will face lots of dislocations en route because it is a very heavy rain region.
I was told that the Shilapather ferry (Bogbil-Kareng) will be suspended during the heavy rainy season. In any case, approach roads to the ferry point will just not be motorable.
Based on your suggestions, I think we should drop Kibithoo as the probability of roads being open seems to be very less.

Quote:
You will not see snow anywhere, whether it is Sel la, Tawang or any other place. Roads leading to Tawang, etc will be rivers of mud, difficult for even 4WDs.
Bhutan also will have lots of problems in its highways once the rains begin. The Jaigaon-Thimphu road itself faces landslides. The high passes on the West-East highway also can get blocked.
However, do you think the Bhutan East West drive and drive to Sela pass is possible?
In case we see any roads being closed, could you suggest alternative places that you think are feasible?
Chirrapunjee is one place that comes to my mind.
Old 19th May 2012, 21:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post

However, do you think the Bhutan East West drive and drive to Sela pass is possible?
In case we see any roads being closed, could you suggest alternative places that you think are feasible?
Chirrapunjee is one place that comes to my mind.
YOu should be able to do Bhutan drive, with some possible hiccups if it rains too hard. I would be more worried about the Sandrup Khonkar-Dirrang-Tamlupur-Rangiya road to Guwahati since that can get badly affected during the rains.

During rainy season, the Bhalukhpong-Bomdila road gets badly affected - going by earlier years' experiences - and it can be a big test for any car, even if it is 4WD. Se la itself will not be a problem.

You should be able to go to Cherapunjee any time. However, the roads leading to Guwahati are bad even now, likely to break up further. For no reason, take the Bongaigaon-Nalbari-Rangiya route between Siliguri & Guwahati, stick to the Cooch behar-Gauripur-Goalpara route
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 21:15   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For no reason, take the Bongaigaon-Nalbari-Rangiya route between Siliguri & Guwahati, stick to the Cooch behar-Gauripur-Goalpara route
If an SUV, and daytime travel, would suggest Srirampur to Boxirhat. Though the Boxirhat road is better, one never knows how long one is going to stuck in a traffic mess.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 01:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
If an SUV, and daytime travel, would suggest Srirampur to Boxirhat. Though the Boxirhat road is better, one never knows how long one is going to stuck in a traffic mess.

Regards
Sutripta
Most probably, my drive from Siliguri to Guwahati will be in the night. So should I stick to the Boxirhat route?

Without any stops, how much time would it take for the drive between Siliguri and Guwahati with current route conditions?