Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2009, 14:38   #16
BHPian
 
goldsun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 223
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Chennai to Mysore

I will be driving from Chennai to Mysore with two of my friends in my SWIFT this Sunday. The information in this thread is very useful to me. Just few questions:

1. I don't have to visit Bangalore, in that case, is there any other route that I can consider? If an alternate route exist, pls. let me also know the road conditions.

2. Is there any thing that I should be careful about when we travel to Mysore in this part of the year?

Thanks in advance.
goldsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 14:50   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
shishir_bn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,192
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

1)the only way might be to take the NICE raod when you enter the electronic city
2)There ios nothing you should be careful when you goto mysore. You need not worry about that place. It is quite and calm. lots of places are there for you to visit.
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 17:34   #18
BHPian
 
goldsun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 223
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Thanks for the quick response.

We will be participating in an International Conference at Infosys Campus and will be staying inside Infosys campus only. We have the evenings to roam around the city.
goldsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 08:15   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
kiku007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,610
Thanked: 1,223 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
1)the only way might be to take the NICE raod when you enter the electronic city
2)There ios nothing you should be careful when you goto mysore. You need not worry about that place. It is quite and calm. lots of places are there for you to visit.
Could you please provide some landmark for the NICE road which takes off from EC? Last time around I missed it:(

Also is there a road to mysore from Hosur? Skipping EC would be a blessing!

BTW here's something we need to be careful when driving to Mysore. Some 40 mins after bangalore we'll be welcomed with unmarked, spine jerking speed breakers! Drive safe!

OT: Best route from Bengaluru to Yercaud pls?

Last edited by kiku007 : 13th November 2009 at 08:17.
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 10:17   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
shishir_bn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,192
Thanked: 104 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Could you please provide some landmark for the NICE road which takes off from EC? Last time around I missed it:(

Also is there a road to mysore from Hosur? Skipping EC would be a blessing!

BTW here's something we need to be careful when driving to Mysore. Some 40 mins after bangalore we'll be welcomed with unmarked, spine jerking speed breakers! Drive safe!

OT: Best route from Bengaluru to Yercaud pls?
"Kiku" after you cross the electronic city stage 1(if you are coming from hosur) signal be on the service road and that road will take you on a ramp(on the left side) which will connect you directly to NICE road and that will take you to Mysore road if you keep a tab on the sign board. Skipping EC and going to mysore i don't know.sorry about that.
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 10:54   #21
BHPian
 
goldsun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 223
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Also is there a road to mysore from Hosur? Skipping EC would be a blessing!

BTW here's something we need to be careful when driving to Mysore. Some 40 mins after bangalore we'll be welcomed with unmarked, spine jerking speed breakers! Drive safe!
Google Maps suggest a route from Krishnagiri to Mysore via Kanakapura. If you drag the route upto hosur, it shows a route from hosur to Mysore again via Kanakapura. The Hosur to Kanakapura route will be about 60 KMs. If some one can provide information about the road conditions for this stretch, it will be great.

Thanks for the alert on the speed breakers.
goldsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 11:23   #22
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ............
Posts: 3,260
Thanked: 4,212 Times
Default

The State Highway 17 from Bangalore to Mysore via Ramanagaram, Channapatna, Maddur & Mandya is the excellent road with 4-laning/central median. Do not go via Kanakapura.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 11:51   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,427
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I am watching this thread with interest. I have tentatively planned the same trip for my son's Dusserah vacation. My destination at Bangalore will be our company guest house on Ulsoor road.
Guys, the Dassrarah trip did not materialize. Planning to leave for Bangy on 24th Dec morning with my wife and son, subject to sanction of leave. I plan to arrive there by lunch time. So I need the following info:

1) Ideally what time should I start here? I don't want to leave when it is still dark. I am a sedate driver and will maintain only 70 - 90 KMPH.

2) A good place to stop for breakfast en route.

3) Dangerous stretches and bad stretches, if any, to watch out for.

4) My Sun Film is a little on the darker side, though still see-through. No trouble here but will there be any issues with the cops over there?

5) Any other points to take care of as this is my first inter-state drive.

6) Time permitting, would like to take my son to Mysore Zoo. So any route info for B'lore-Mysore sector.

Last edited by Gansan : 7th December 2009 at 11:53.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 15:00   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Hi Ganesan,

Suggest you start by 8:30 - 9 AM to make it to bangalore before 6 PM, you get stuck in really bad traffic after that, went through that 2 weeks back. For breakfast you can stop at Arusuvai, its just after Sriperumbadur i think, nice food and clean loos.

The highway is awesome and no dangerous streaches. Krishnagiri toll plaza could have a lot of traffic, watch out for delays considering it is a long weekend and traffic form Salem, Coimby, Pondicherry and chennai will converge there, Hosur bus stand could be a problem if there are too many vehicles on the road.

You can also stop for snacks at Ananda Bhavan just after Krishnagiri, watch out for the sign, it will be on your right side.

If you are going to mysore after bangalore, you will need to take the outer ring road to connect to mysore. Watch out for detour signs near JP nagar, the road has been dug up for a very long time, but if you follow the traffic you wont face any issues. Again try to leave early to avoid weekend traffic. Mysore zoo is a huge so plan accordingly, if you want to walk through the entire zoo, keep aside atleast 3 hours. I have seen electric carts there but not too sure if they still operate them.

Just make sure all your papers are in order, especially insurance and emisson certificates, random checks could happen. Buses and trucks may not yield for you to overtake from the right, but there will be plenty of space on the left, after a couple of hours you will get the hang of it.

Its an awesome drive and I am sure you will enjoy it. Have a nice trip.

Cheers,

Parikshith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Guys, the Dassrarah trip did not materialize. Planning to leave for Bangy on 24th Dec morning with my wife and son, subject to sanction of leave. I plan to arrive there by lunch time. So I need the following info:

1) Ideally what time should I start here? I don't want to leave when it is still dark. I am a sedate driver and will maintain only 70 - 90 KMPH.

2) A good place to stop for breakfast en route.

3) Dangerous stretches and bad stretches, if any, to watch out for.

4) My Sun Film is a little on the darker side, though still see-through. No trouble here but will there be any issues with the cops over there?

5) Any other points to take care of as this is my first inter-state drive.

6) Time permitting, would like to take my son to Mysore Zoo. So any route info for B'lore-Mysore sector.
parik_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 21:38   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,427
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parik_ind View Post
Hi Ganesan,

Suggest you start by 8:30 - 9 AM to make it to bangalore before 6 PM, you get stuck in really bad traffic after that, went through that 2 weeks back. For breakfast you can stop at Arusuvai, its just after Sriperumbadur i think, nice food and clean loos.

The highway is awesome and no dangerous streaches. Krishnagiri toll plaza could have a lot of traffic, watch out for delays considering it is a long weekend and traffic form Salem, Coimby, Pondicherry and chennai will converge there, Hosur bus stand could be a problem if there are too many vehicles on the road.

You can also stop for snacks at Ananda Bhavan just after Krishnagiri, watch out for the sign, it will be on your right side.

If you are going to mysore after bangalore, you will need to take the outer ring road to connect to mysore. Watch out for detour signs near JP nagar, the road has been dug up for a very long time, but if you follow the traffic you wont face any issues. Again try to leave early to avoid weekend traffic. Mysore zoo is a huge so plan accordingly, if you want to walk through the entire zoo, keep aside atleast 3 hours. I have seen electric carts there but not too sure if they still operate them.

Just make sure all your papers are in order, especially insurance and emisson certificates, random checks could happen. Buses and trucks may not yield for you to overtake from the right, but there will be plenty of space on the left, after a couple of hours you will get the hang of it.

Its an awesome drive and I am sure you will enjoy it. Have a nice trip.

Cheers,

Parikshith
Thanks! I expect to cover it in about 6 hours of driving time, not counting the breaks. I think we will start at 8.00 AM after breakfast and have only a lunch break somewhere around 1.00 PM.

As for papers, will it be sufficient to keep photocopies? No emission certificate yet, car is only 6 months old.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 10:19   #26
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ............
Posts: 3,260
Thanked: 4,212 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
A good place to stop for breakfast en route.
You can take Chennai-Vellore-Krishnagiri route, which is fully 4-laned. If you leave Chennai early in the monring, the best place to have breakfast is Hotel Saravana Bhavan, Vellore, located near NH. Take left before Sattuvachari flyover towards CMC Hospital Road. You can have lunch at A2B located at BP company-owned-company-operated pump at Chinnar, after Krishnagiri toll plaza. It will be on your right, if you come from Krishnagiri. So, take a u-turn and reach the place. You can fill your stomach as well as car's fuel tank to the brim, since petrol costs Rs 2 per litre more in Karnataka compared to Tamil Nadu.

Quote:
Dangerous stretches and bad stretches, if any.
There are no dangerous/bad stretches in this route, since it is fully 4-laned.

Quote:
My Sun Film is a little on the darker side, though still see-through. No trouble here but will there be any issues with the cops over there?
I have seen many cars with dark film. There will not be any problem.


Quote:
Time permitting, would like to take my son to Mysore Zoo. So any route info for B'lore-Mysore sector.
You can take NICE ring road [toll road] to reach Bangalore-Mysore State Highway 17, which will save a few hours by avoiding going through Bangalore. SH 17 is an excellent 4-laned road better than many National Highways. However, watch out for big and crude speed breakers especially while crossing villages.

There are many good restaurants like Kamat Yatrinivas, Kadambam, etc. on the left side and Kamat Lokaruchi [open from 6 am to 11 pm, ideal while returning back from Mysore] on the right side of SH from Bangalore to Mysore situated after Ramanagaram, where the food is good.

Within Mysore city, you will not face any problem as there are plenty of signages, which will guide you to important places like Palace, Zoo, etc. For board and lodging, I prefer good old Hotel Dasaprakash, Gandhi Square,Clock Tower, opposite Prabhat theatre.

Bon Voyage!
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 10:44   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,427
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
You can fill your stomach as well as car's fuel tank to the brim, since petrol costs Rs 2 per litre more in Karnataka compared to Tamil Nadu.

There are no dangerous/bad stretches in this route, since it is fully 4-laned.

You can take NICE ring road [toll road] to reach Bangalore-Mysore State Highway 17, which will save a few hours by avoiding going through Bangalore. SH 17 is an excellent 4-laned road better than many National Highways. However, watch out for big and crude speed breakers especially while crossing villages.
Thanks Ravi! We will fill our tummies there, but the car will drink at Bangalore! I am a Shell fan and will start with a full tank of super unleaded here and refill only at a Shell bunk again. And right now Shell fuels are cheaper at Bangy! So please inform of any nice Shell station on the way to our accommodation at Ulsoor Road.

I remember reading about some dangerous flyover enroute, that is why I asked.

How do I reach this NICE road from Ulsoor Road? I was thinking of taking the Mekhri circle-Hebbal flyover-ring road-Mysore Road route. I may have to visit Vidyaranyapura on the way, or even start the trip from there.

Last edited by Gansan : 15th December 2009 at 10:47.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 14:15   #28
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ............
Posts: 3,260
Thanked: 4,212 Times
Default

@Gansan: There are two Shell pumps located opposite to each other on either side of Mysore Road after BHEL towards Mysore. From Ulsoor, take this route: Cubbon Road>Raj Bhavan Road>GPO>Vidhana Veedhi>Nrupatunga Road>Hudson Circle>Town Hall>Fly Over KR Market>Mysore Road>BHEL>Shell pump>SH 17 to Mysore.

From Vidyaranyapura, you can take BEL>Outer Ring Road>Bangalore University Road>Turn to left at the Jnana Bharathi entrance>Shell pump>U turn at Mysore Road>SH 17 to Mysore.

There is a Shell pump on Hosur Road on your right between Electronics City and Central Silk Board fly over. But, you have to take U-turn to reach it.

If you start your Mysore trip from within the city, NICE road will not be required since NICE road joins SH 17 after Kengeri towards Mysore.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 15th December 2009 at 14:17.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 00:14   #29
BHPian
 
jeevmenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: TN07
Posts: 466
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

I plan to go to Mysore sometime in August. Firstly will this be the right time. I need to catch the Shivasamudram in its full flow. Also, I heard there are museums/good-architectural-buildings within Mysore, Chamunda statue on the hillock, brindavan gardens (would like to see it illuminated,) Shivasamudra waterfalls, Bird-Sanctuary. How do I club these in a most efficient non-retracing path? Is there anything else interesting? I could skip the Palace. You can say I have 2 days for in-and-around Mysore.
jeevmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 15:54   #30
BHPian
 
jeevmenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: TN07
Posts: 466
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Instead of Rajapalayalam for the marriage, maybe I should do Chennai/Bangalore/Mysore/Sathy/CBE/Chennai. Any latest updates if the Shivasamudram is gushing with water? So whats the route I need to take? Never been to NICE road. Is it the NH209? I plan to take NH209 from Bangalore to Mysore, then to Ranaganthittu, Srirangapattna, Brindavan Gardens - Come to Kollegal on the NH212 - take the detour to the falls on the NH 209 and return back on the NH209 to Sathy and then to Coimbatore. Is this an ok plan? Are there Sathy forest/border crossing restrictions?

Last edited by jeevmenon : 14th August 2010 at 16:14.
jeevmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1800 Km Drive Vacation : Chennai - Manapad - Kumily - Chennai Marlon Travelogues 2 15th June 2012 17:14
Chennai - Madikeri - Mysore - Chennai Santroed scopriobharath Travelogues 40 13th September 2010 11:33
Route Info Req : Chennai-Angadipuram-Udipi-Moogambigai-Mysore-Chamundi Hills-Chennai aargee Route / Travel Queries 72 13th August 2010 13:14
Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue v&v Travelogues 61 29th June 2010 22:51
Chennai - Bengaluru - Sringei - Madikeri - Mysore Chennai Archish Travelogues 12 19th June 2010 19:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks