Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 4th September 2009, 13:35   #1
BHPian

Default Nagarjuna Sagar

Hello Friends,

I am planning a two day getaway to Nagarjuna Sagar Dam. Though people have told me that there is not much to do there for 2 days, and most reacted as "2 days!!!". "there is nothing for 2 days!!!", etc, but thats what I wanted, doing nothing.

I am planning to stay at the APTDC resort, however due to the sad demise of YSR I think the booking offices would now open only on 10th.

I always wanted to try fishing but unfortunately never got a chance, I have a Browning carbon fiber fishing rod which I bought in 2006, now my questions for fellow members are as -
  • Is fishing allowed, if not where can we take the permit from since some pictures on the Internet suggest that the river just flows next to the APTDC resort, this would be more of a "catch-shoot(ofcourse with a camera!)-release" thing,
  • I want to buy some extra fishing line and hooks, where can I get them in Hyderabad?
rajatsingh78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 13:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

I reckon you plan to stay at Vijay Vihar which is a nice resort with a swimming pool in a separate area within the resort
But, as far as I know they don't allow fishing. In addition the big lake is adjacent to Vijay Vihar but it aint that adjacent
to start fishing there.

Best is to reach there late afternoon and leave back for Hyd next day after lunch.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 13:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
Hello Friends,

I am planning a two day getaway to Nagarjuna Sagar Dam. Though people have told me that there is not much to do there for 2 days, and most reacted as "2 days!!!". "there is nothing for 2 days!!!", etc, but thats what I wanted, doing nothing.

I am planning to stay at the APTDC resort, however due to the sad demise of YSR I think the booking offices would now open only on 10th.

I always wanted to try fishing but unfortunately never got a chance, I have a Browning carbon fiber fishing rod which I bought in 2006, now my questions for fellow members are as -
  • Is fishing allowed, if not where can we take the permit from since some pictures on the Internet suggest that the river just flows next to the APTDC resort, this would be more of a "catch-shoot(ofcourse with a camera!)-release" thing,
  • I want to buy some extra fishing line and hooks, where can I get them in Hyderabad?
Rajat,
Right behind the Vijay Vihar (APTDC guest house) you need to go half a kilometer, real down hill where you will see a huge expanse of water, here you can do plenty of fishing provided you know what bait to use and what fish you are expecting to catch. This info can be obtained by the local guys there. Long back we had no live bait hence we used spon for fishing with no luck, but as different seasons have different techniques which are effective you can try that.
Rahu is a fish that is aplenty here and also in the upstream Srisailam dam, can weigh as much as 10+ kg each, this fish bites bait made out of a combo of rice bran and atta, which you must be aware of and some guys also add banana to it for binding. you just need to keep the hook and bait stationary for this fish and your browning rod will not be much help here, try getting one short cane rod with a soft horn tip and the required hooks and line from Lad bazar near Charminar where you get bangles, ask for directions once you are in the lane and about half a kilometer on your left you will find the shop selling traditional fishing gear and believe me it is very effective stuff, I have seen 20 pounders being caught with this gear, technique is more important than the gear as you know.
And remember there is no official permit you can obtain for fishing here, money talks and fishes walk.
Best of luck with your fishing.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 4th September 2009 at 13:54.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 14:33   #4
Team-BHP Support

Rajat,

Some teaser pictures for your upcoming Nsagar trip. These pictures were from my trip there a few months ago. You can check out my travelouge here :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...d-parks-3.html (PhotoBlog--Nagarjunsagar Dam & Hyderabad Parks)

You can take a trip in one of these round boats and do your fishing. I am assuming these villagers/boatsmen are allowed fishing. Just make sure you check with rules there just as a precaution less your slapped with a fine
Attached Thumbnails
Nagarjuna Sagar-dsc_6043.jpg  

Nagarjuna Sagar-dsc_6059.jpg  

Nagarjuna Sagar-dsc_6061.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote