Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 20th December 2011, 16:21   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Pune to Ooty (Feedback reqd on this route)

Just returned from a Blr-Ooty-Blr trip this weekend. If you are able to enter the TN border from KA side by 715 pm then it is pretty safe to take the shorter route.

The gates close by 830 pm for this route but, at the check post the un-official cut-off is 8 pm. This route is really short in comparison to Gundalpet route. 36 km vs 64 km.

While going to Ooty, we took the shorter route as we managed to pass the check-post before Masinaguidi by 730 PM. The road is very good but, the visibility was quite poor (fog). This route certainly takes a toll on your engine and the engine temperature is likely to shoot up. As a precaution, the moment we got a plain stretch, stopped the Palio MJD twice, without cutting off the engine. The temperature needle came to below the half mark from the 3/4 mark in about a minute.

We returned via the Gundalpet road and realized that it was pretty long with lot of bad stretches.

So, take your pick.

Cheers

PS: We stayed at Deep Jungle Home for a day in Mudumali forest and in their booking FAQ it mentioned that the road to Ooty either ways is closed after 11 pm as it is a forest reserve. So, please check if you will be driving through post 10/11 pm
pareshraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 16:26   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEPASSION View Post
That sounds ideal as a route - as for the stop - as I would be coming in from Shirdi after darshan - I think I would be able to cover Hubli at best and try to take Hubli - Ooty next day - what say?
If you start by about 4 in the morning from Hubli, you should be Bangalore NICE road entry about 9-10AM.
That translates to reaching Ooty by about 4-5PM (accounting for breaks).

The reason I say 4AM is because you also should not miss the views on the Bandipur forest range.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 16:34   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you start by about 4 in the morning from Hubli, you should be Bangalore NICE road entry about 9-10AM.
That translates to reaching Ooty by about 4-5PM (accounting for breaks).

The reason I say 4AM is because you also should not miss the views on the Bandipur forest range.
That sounds good - could you also suggest petrol and eating options on the Hubli to Ooty route

DRIVEPASSION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 17:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That sounds good - could you also suggest petrol and eating options on the Hubli to Ooty route

Depends on your time

a) Butter Masala Dosa in Davangere (Kottureshwara opposite BDT dental college) or if you miss Davanagere then in Chitradurga (Laxmi Bhavan)

b) Kamat near Haveri, Sira and after Tumkur

c) No dearth of petrol bunks on the way

d) On Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty you can eat in Kamat Lokaruchi near ramanagaram, Kadambam after Channapatna or Adigas before Maddur

e) Again Kamat madhuvan on the outskirts of Mysore

If you feel hungry bewteen Mysore and Ooty, you can either eat in Gundlupet or Gudalur
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 17:16   #35
BHPian

Hi Fauji, that is pretty exhaustive - thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Just returned from a Blr-Ooty-Blr trip this weekend. If you are able to enter the TN border from KA side by 715 pm then it is pretty safe to take the shorter route.

The gates close by 830 pm for this route but, at the check post the un-official cut-off is 8 pm. This route is really short in comparison to Gundalpet route. 36 km vs 64 km.

While going to Ooty, we took the shorter route as we managed to pass the check-post before Masinaguidi by 730 PM. The road is very good but, the visibility was quite poor (fog). This route certainly takes a toll on your engine and the engine temperature is likely to shoot up. As a precaution, the moment we got a plain stretch, stopped the Palio MJD twice, without cutting off the engine. The temperature needle came to below the half mark from the 3/4 mark in about a minute.

We returned via the Gundalpet road and realized that it was pretty long with lot of bad stretches.

So, take your pick.

Cheers

PS: We stayed at Deep Jungle Home for a day in Mudumali forest and in their booking FAQ it mentioned that the road to Ooty either ways is closed after 11 pm as it is a forest reserve. So, please check if you will be driving through post 10/11 pm
Hi

What would bad mean - craters or humps - concerned about ground clearance as I would be driving a Honda City AT

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th December 2011 at 17:32.
Old 20th December 2011, 20:45   #36
BHPian

Craters are few. Its patched up roads and broken tar at places.

There were a couple of humps where even the Palio scrapped. Believe me, I haven't seen another hatch or a sedan apart from a TATA that has better clearance than the Palio.

So, I guess, you know which route to take now.

Cheers
pareshraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 21:28   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Fauji, that is pretty exhaustive - thanks

Hi

What would bad mean - craters or humps - concerned about ground clearance as I would be driving a Honda City AT

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Craters are few. Its patched up roads and broken tar at places.

There were a couple of humps where even the Palio scrapped. Believe me, I haven't seen another hatch or a sedan apart from a TATA that has better clearance than the Palio.

So, I guess, you know which route to take now.

Cheers
If you are driving after sun set, i would recommend you take Gudalur route from Masinagudi. It is safer and if there is breakdown there will be someone to help. Also, there are many instances of elephants blocking the road after sunset on the ghat road. The Ghat route should be done during the day to enjoy the scenery.

If driving during day, go by Ghat route.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 09:04   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
If you are driving after sun set, i would recommend you take Gudalur route from Masinagudi. It is safer and if there is breakdown there will be someone to help. Also, there are many instances of elephants blocking the road after sunset on the ghat road. The Ghat route should be done during the day to enjoy the scenery.

If driving during day, go by Ghat route.
Hi

Thanks for the input - by Ghat do you mean the one with 36 hairpin bends - and if so what would be:

1. The Approx. driving time on the Ghats and the approx. time it would take to cover the same

Old 21st December 2011, 11:12   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Thanks for the input - by Ghat do you mean the one with 36 hairpin bends - and if so what would be:

1. The Approx. driving time on the Ghats and the approx. time it would take to cover the same

Yes. The driving time would be an hour and fifteen mins. Also when you are in Ooty, don't forget to go to Avalanche area for beautiful views. If possible go and have lunch in Destiny farm house. Awesome location with beautiful views.

Destiny - the Farmstay Resort

Drive down to Kotagiri sunset point. Look at this

KAITHALA village

kotagiri sunset - Flickr: Search
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 12:55   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Yes. The driving time would be an hour and fifteen mins. Also when you are in Ooty, don't forget to go to Avalanche area for beautiful views. If possible go and have lunch in Destiny farm house. Awesome location with beautiful views.

Destiny - the Farmstay Resort

Drive down to Kotagiri sunset point. Look at this

KAITHALA village

kotagiri sunset - Flickr: Search
Hey,

Thanks - I think I will do that and good inputs should help me stay on course and maximize my leverage at Ooty!

You have been just great Fauji