Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 7th November 2013, 11:18   #181
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Valparai - Staying Options And Other General Info..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Should i take the Perundurai . Kangayam route via Palladam & Pollachi.
Or is there any other better route to reach there.
Thats a very good route. Would say stick to it. If you start by 4:30 you should be there for lunch. You can also stop on the way to visit Aliyar if you want.

Quote:
Also any ideas how the weather in Valparai would be, accuweather shows thunderstorms and rain. for next weekend.
It should be very pleasant. Nov/Dec is a always a good time to visit this place. Post rains, all the dams should be full and hence provide very nice views.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 14:19   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
No idea there. I did not visit that dam and neither have any idea of the road from Valparai town. It might be a good idea to call the estate guys there and check. Even I would be curious to know their response!
@ampere
will update on the route info to Kadamparai once i get the info.
Any idea on which petrol bunk to use in Udumalpet as i guess after that i will not see a petrol bunk till i reach Valparai or is there any other better option on the way?
RajeswaranK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 14:23   #183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
@ampere
Any idea on which petrol bunk to use in Udumalpet as i guess after that i will not see a petrol bunk till i reach Valparai or is there any other better option on the way?
Again no idea. Never filled up there. Others might be able to help.
Old 7th November 2013, 15:08   #184
h14
BHPian

RajeswaranK7, you can re-fuel before Udumalpet / Mukkonom. While coming towards Udumalpet from Dindigul, you will find an IOC outlet to your right. We filled up in there when we visited valparai. I guess I mentioned the same in my travelogue which was shared in previous posts by ampere.

But I'm not sure if this is in Oddanchatiram or after Palani when you are driving down.
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 16:03   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No idea there. I did not visit that dam and neither have any idea of the road from Valparai town. It might be a good idea to call the estate guys there and check. Even I would be curious to know their response!
Kadamparai is on the way from Pollachi to Valparai. A bus goes from Pollachi.

I vaguely remember that the dam is under control of TNEB and not much scope for tourist visits. i may be wrong too!
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 17:10   #186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Kadamparai is on the way from Pollachi to Valparai. A bus goes from Pollachi.

I vaguely remember that the dam is under control of TNEB and not much scope for tourist visits. i may be wrong too!
The one on the way is Aliyar. This one I think is way off that road as per what I see on the map.
As per the map, there is a road that goes to Upper Aliyar and along with it to Kadamparai

Last edited by ampere : 7th November 2013 at 17:11.
Old 7th November 2013, 17:30   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The one on the way is Aliyar. This one I think is way off that road as per what I see on the map.
As per the map, there is a road that goes to Upper Aliyar and along with it to Kadamparai
Yes, Amp, not the Aliyar. This one is also in the left, but it comes amidst the bends somewhere near to Attakatti(Attakatti is the place where forested area ends and waterfall estate starts).
Old 7th November 2013, 17:32   #188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Yes, Amp, not the Aliyar. This one is also in the left, but it comes amidst the bends somewhere near to Attakatti(Attakatti is the place where forested area ends and waterfall estate starts).
As you mention and as per now what I remember, I did remember seeing a diversion. But I think there were no signboards boards. Since I did not visit upper Aliyar at that time, may be time head there once again?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 17:55   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
may be time head there once again?
Waiting for the (North East) monsoon rains.

It isn't raining there, and even if it is, it is only sudden torrential rains that makes the road dangerous to our cars*.

*Duster not included
Old 7th November 2013, 20:09   #190
BHPian

Smile Re: Valparai - Staying Options And Other General Info..

Quote:
Thats a very good route. Would say stick to it. If you start by 4:30 you should be there for lunch. You can also stop on the way to visit Aliyar if you want.

It should be very pleasant. Nov/Dec is a always a good time to visit this place. Post rains, all the dams should be full and hence provide very nice views.

Thanks, for the information i will stick to the route. Also found 2 places to have breakfast one is Saravana Bhawan which is at Sankari toll gate and - Hotel Annalakshmi at Perundurai turnoff. Will stick to one of those.

Had a couple of queries :

First around fuel station. Does valparai have petrol bunks. Any recommended fuel stations. As i will be on a 3 day trip and plan to visit Aithrapally falls also. So when and where to fuel.

Also what mobile networks work in Valparai apart from BSNL. As i want to be on the safer side and have network connectivity.I know that waterfall estate has a TV, and has BSNL mobile connectivity if we have any idea on Airtel or Docomo connectivity.

Last edited by Dushie : 7th November 2013 at 20:11.
Dushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 20:25   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks, for the information i will stick to the route. Also found 2 places to have breakfast one is Saravana Bhawan which is at Sankari toll gate and - Hotel Annalakshmi at Perundurai turnoff. Will stick to one of those.
There is another one called Raja Bhojanam at Thoppur. I feel Perundurai may be a bit too late. I have had food at Annalakshmi. Decent fare. No fancy stuff.

Quote:
First around fuel station. Does valparai have petrol bunks. Any recommended fuel stations. As i will be on a 3 day trip and plan to visit Aithrapally falls also. So when and where to fuel.
You can fill up at Pollachi. There are many bunks. I distinctly remember a BP bunk. On NH209 around Pollachi. (here)

Quote:
Also what mobile networks work in Valparai apart from BSNL. As i want to be on the safer side and have network connectivity.I know that waterfall estate has a TV, and has BSNL mobile connectivity if we have any idea on Airtel or Docomo connectivity.
I think Airtel works. Don't remember though. Talk to the waterfall guys and confirm. Its a very nice place. Had been there 3 years back and enjoyed fully. In fact we messed one day of our visit too. And you know why ? Because we were watching MSD butcher Sri Lanka in World Cup finals! And it was real fun with the cook at the estate serving hot pakoras while we watched the match.

Last edited by ampere : 7th November 2013 at 20:27.
Old 7th November 2013, 21:21   #192
BHPian

Quote:

I think Airtel works. Don't remember though. Talk to the waterfall guys and confirm. Its a very nice place. Had been there 3 years back and enjoyed fully. In fact we messed one day of our visit too. And you know why ? Because we were watching MSD butcher Sri Lanka in World Cup finals! And it was real fun with the cook at the estate serving hot pakoras while we watched the match.
Yea, waterfalls estate is an awesome place to stay. Only BSNL works. Airtel doesn't work in the guest houses

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 22:24   #193
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Fuel - I think if you can tank fuel up at Pollachi it would be good (not sure if you're taking that route). At Pollachi there is a BP bunk at the junction of the Aliyar/Valparai road and there was a flyover construction in progress in front of the petrol pump so you may get to this junction by the road beside the petrol pump so look for it.
Also, there is a BP petrol pump in Valparai town and I had used it but only since I didn't plan ahead and did not want to get stranded.

Mobile - our Airtel phones worked just fine in Valparai (both at NEPC estate and Sinnadorai).

Last edited by NPV : 7th November 2013 at 22:29.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 21:16   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Airtel works at a few spots at Indraprastha Bungalow of Waterfall estate. Which bungalow are you staying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
@ampere
Private vehicles are not allowed to reach Kadamparai dam, unless you are going to TNEB on an official visit. There is a bus service to the dam, if you just want to visit the dam. It is not a tourist spot - though the drive is beautiful through the forests

There is at least one petrol pump at Valparai town. Valparai is a fairly big township - bigger than Munnar in my opinion
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 21:27   #195
BHPian

Thanks, everyone, yes i am staying at Indraprastha only, will refill at Pollachi. Leaving early morning at 4 AM. Hopefully all should go well, i am carrying BSNL and Airtel connections. Hopefully should not be an issue. Let's see how much time it takes to reach there.
Dushie is offline   Reply With Quote