Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 28th August 2011, 09:43   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Valparai - Staying Options And Other General Info..

With a three day plan you cannot club Topslip and Athirampally. It is monsoon time so am not sure it would make sense to visit Topslip. In the same context monsoon is the best time to visit Athirampally. Keep your trip to Athirampally and Sholayar for the second day.

If you reach Valparai by noon on the first day you can finish Nirar dam, I think you might have some. issues going to Upper Nirar dam during monsoon time, Nalla mudi pooncholai, Karumalai Balaji temple, Sidhi Vinayak temple. Check with Sunil if he can arrange a trip to Puthuthottam estate to see LTM's on third day morning. Post breakfast you can start back to Bangalore clubbing Loam's point , Aliyar etc. Please note Nepc guest house is about 12 kms before Valparai.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 09:53   #62
Team-BHP Support

The other place is Waterfall Estate.

Glendale Stays - Coonoor | Ooty| The Perfect Holiday Destination | Eco Trails & Tours

Totally agree with Srikanth. Thats what even I mentioned on my previous post. To and fro distances to Athirampally would be more than 100km.
It would be difficult. Unless you have a plan to go that side on day 3 and drive back via the NH47.
(But that would be too long a drive).

Last edited by ampere : 28th August 2011 at 09:55.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 21:59   #63
Senior - BHPian

Big thanks to @raichoudhury, @pypkmsrikanth and @Ampere for all your suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- No issues with GC on this stretch, except for those killer humps at
Thoppur ghats. Need to be very careful as they are really huge and can damage the underbody.
Many times folks don't realize and by the time they reach close its too late and they would at 40Kmph at least.
I'll keep a lookout for these. Will taking the car in cross position solve the issue? Or are the humps too large for that to work?

Quote:
- BF at Salem: If you want to splurge: GRT on the highway just at the location, where roads breaks to the 5-roads junction.
The entrance to the hotel is through service road. They open at 7 and hence you will get steaming hot buffet BF (But @350 per person! )
But for a holiday, its well worth it.
350 for buffet BREAKFAST! Whoa! Any A2Bs or Kamats near Salem? Even Saravana Bhavan would do. Wishful thinking, eh?

Quote:
PS: You will miss your T-Jet for sure!
seriously will! my friend is really keen on bringing his ANHC and I haven't yet completed my first service, so I allowed him to win the argument. The jet's handling would have been fantastic to test on these sections, alas.
Anyway I will be doing Munnar+Thekkady in 2 months from now, I think I was clarifying my Munnar doubts with you in that other thread also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
With a three day plan you cannot club Topslip and Athirampally. It is monsoon time so am not sure it would make sense to visit Topslip. In the same context monsoon is the best time to visit Athirampally. Keep your trip to Athirampally and Sholayar for the second day.

If you reach Valparai by noon on the first day you can finish Nirar dam, I think you might have some. issues going to Upper Nirar dam during monsoon time, Nalla mudi pooncholai, Karumalai Balaji temple, Sidhi Vinayak temple. Check with Sunil if he can arrange a trip to Puthuthottam estate to see LTM's on third day morning. Post breakfast you can start back to Bangalore clubbing Loam's point , Aliyar etc. Please note Nepc guest house is about 12 kms before Valparai.
Quote:
Totally agree with Srikanth. Thats what even I mentioned on my previous post. To and fro distances to Athirampally would be more than 100km.
It would be difficult. Unless you have a plan to go that side on day 3 and drive back via the NH47.
(But that would be too long a drive).
I'll keep these locations in mind and rework the itinerary. TopSlip is removed after ampere's and your suggestions. I am going with ampere's logic that it is better to relax and visit 1 place completely than rush around, like my previous itinerary!

Quote:
This looks even better than NEPC guest house interiors, definitely upmarket stuff. I'll call them and ask how they are placed for that weekend. I only hope they are not as expensive as Stanmore *lol*
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 22:11   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
This looks even better than NEPC guest house interiors, definitely upmarket stuff. I'll call them and ask how they are placed for that weekend. I only hope they are not as expensive as Stanmore *lol*
Look at post #20 and #21. Me and @nathan had uploaded some snaps
of Waterfall Estate.

I had been there in April and its was a wonderful experience.

Last edited by ampere : 28th August 2011 at 22:38.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 22:14   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Look at post #20 and #21. Me and @nathan had uploaded some snaps
Waterfall Estate.

I had been there in April and its was a wonderful experience.
Nice pics, went through them. Any idea about tariffs, if you remember? OR maybe I'll just PM you for that info.
Old 28th August 2011, 22:44   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nice pics, went through them. Any idea about tariffs, if you remember? OR maybe I'll just PM you for that info.
Karthik,

We used Valley view.

Only thing to note is that each bungalow has more than one room and these rooms can be provided to separate guests.
Each bungalow has one butler who prepares food for the occupants of the whole bungalow.

So if you plan to book a room or more than one, its good to find a bungalow where only you would be there and no other guests.
For example if you need 2 rooms, its good to book Valley View.

That way you/your family alone gets to stay in that bungalow.
Otherwise it kind of becomes difficult to adjust with other folks staying in the same "house".
Old 28th August 2011, 22:46   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Karthik,

We used Valley view.

Only thing to note is that each bungalow has more than one room and these rooms can be provided to separate guests.
Each bungalow has one butler who prepares food for the occupants of the whole bungalow.

So if you plan to book a room or more than one, its good to find a bungalow where only you would be there and no other guests.
For example if you need 2 rooms, its good to book Valley View.

That way you/your family alone gets to stay in that bungalow.
Otherwise it kind of becomes difficult to adjust with other folks staying in the same "house".
We would be 4 friends, so I guess we'll take 2 rooms. Valley View would do fine, I was just going through the details you sent in the PM. Seems quite economical for what they are offering. How was the food quality? Are the butlers accomodative in the menu or do they prepare some fixed items which we are forced to eat?
Old 28th August 2011, 22:54   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We would be 4 friends, so I guess we'll take 2 rooms. Valley View would do fine, I was just going through the details you sent in the PM. Seems quite economical for what they are offering. How was the food quality? Are the butlers accomodative in the menu or do they prepare some fixed items which we are forced to eat?
They are typically very accommodative. But don't expect too many things.
But whatever they know, they prepare well.

The food tasted very much homely. For the service and room quality I would say it was very economical.
The place was also very nice and exceptionally clean.

We thoroughly enjoyed that experience.
Old 28th August 2011, 23:04   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They are typically very accommodative. But don't expect too many things.
But whatever they know, they prepare well.

The food tasted very much homely. For the service and room quality I would say it was very economical.
The place was also very nice and exceptionally clean.

We thoroughly enjoyed that experience.
Fantastic in that case. Even basic menus would do fine for us. I prefer homestays over hotels any day, after umpteen visits to coffee estate homestays in the western ghats. The reason I asked about flexibility was because of a weird experience in a homestay in coorg - the rude butler was preparing omelette for breakfast and when we asked for anything veg, he said its either this or else to go find an eatery outside. This inspite of informing earlier that we were vegetarians

The quotation you sent for waterfall bungalow was amazing, didn't expect them to be so economical. I've decided on and frozen this waterfall bungalow after you sent me the website and the quotations Big thanks to you ampere!

Last edited by KarthikK : 28th August 2011 at 23:08.
Old 28th August 2011, 23:48   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The quotation you sent for waterfall bungalow was amazing, didn't expect them to be so economical. I've decided on and frozen this waterfall bungalow after you sent me the website and the quotations Big thanks to you ampere!
My first introduction to the place was a TL by Bigzero.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...rai-bliss.html (Three days in Valparai - Bliss!)

Those were the times, when I never drove more than 200-250 Km for a long drive.
But this place was always in my mind. I liked the place so much, that I would definitely do it once more.
Another good thing about the whole place is that the drive though being 450Km is not hectic at all!

290Km of GQ
140 of beautiful SH and NH
20 km of ghats!

Hope after creating so much hype about the place, it meets your expectations!

On your question about BF options:
BF option before Salem is at Thoppur A2B. Its just before the toll plaza before Salem.
But its on the other side of the Highway.

Last edited by ampere : 28th August 2011 at 23:50.
Old 29th August 2011, 09:24   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My first introduction to the place was a TL by Bigzero.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...rai-bliss.html (Three days in Valparai - Bliss!)

Those were the times, when I never drove more than 200-250 Km for a long drive.
But this place was always in my mind. I liked the place so much, that I would definitely do it once more.
Another good thing about the whole place is that the drive though being 450Km is not hectic at all!

290Km of GQ
140 of beautiful SH and NH
20 km of ghats!

Hope after creating so much hype about the place, it meets your expectations!

On your question about BF options:
BF option before Salem is at Thoppur A2B. Its just before the toll plaza before Salem.
But its on the other side of the Highway.
Eagerly awaiting this drive after so much hype here. All the pictures look fantastic in the TLs seen so far. I think the camera will be as frequently used as the car in this place.

For the BF, Thoppur A2B will do fine. Thanks. I'll keep the location in mind. No problem if it is on the other side of the highway, gives me a chance to test the ANHC's turning radius in the 2 extra U-turns

I will be carrying my mapmyindia navigator with me so I don't think directions should be a problem anywhere. Any untoward forks/flyovers/turns that I need to be aware of? MMI has never let me down till now on the route part but still double checking, it is no match for ampere I'm sure
Old 29th August 2011, 10:24   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
MMI has never let me down till now on the route part but still double checking, it is no match for ampere I'm sure
Thanks for the kind words Karthik.
But that honour is only (and only) reserved for HVK!
Old 29th August 2011, 11:37   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fantastic in that case. Even basic menus would do fine for us. I prefer homestays over hotels any day, after umpteen visits to coffee estate homestays in the western ghats. The reason I asked about flexibility was because of a weird experience in a homestay in coorg - the rude butler was preparing omelette for breakfast and when we asked for anything veg, he said its either this or else to go find an eatery outside. This inspite of informing earlier that we were vegetarians

We stayed at Monica Garden Bungalow during our visit with family, my MIL does not eat even Garlics & any food item which has Garlic in the masala. Rangan who was the cook made some amazing food for us during the stay so much so that my Mom & MIL was wondering how they were not able to make such good food without garlic. Initial plan was for 2 days, my Mom insisted that I extend our stay by one more day just to enjoy the peace it gave us.

When we made the Trip to Athirampally, he had packed us yummy Aloo Parathas, curd and pickle, so that we do not have any issues with Lunch. Not to foget the dessert which was simply awesome. The only thing I missed out was my Filter Coffee which was a small price I paid for the lovely experience we had.

To an extent I feel the Chefs' / Caretakers at Waterfall & Stanmore group Bungalows are better equipped than most home stays in the western ghats. It also helps to have the entire bungalow to yourselves so that they can give you food of your choice without any worries.

One word of caution, if you are a late starter you are in for trouble in Valparai, the birds start their orchestra pretty early out there, my wife and myself used to have fun sitting in the portico at 5 in the morning imitating the Malabar whistling thrush. Great way to unwind oneself.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 11:26   #74
Senior - BHPian

I booked at Valley View bungalow, Glendale estate after Ampere's and ch.nathan's posts about it. Thanks Ampere for sending the details. Rasha karambaya, the lady incharge of managing the bungalows, was quite descriptive and clarified all my doubts. Thanks pypkmsrikanth for your useful inputs too! I will try to spot some birds in the early mornings.

Also, a doubt about Athirapally now. There are conflicting pieces of information on the route from Valparai to Athirapally falls. Google maps says it is 65km, and some forums say it is 110 km. What is the exact distance to/from Valparai? Would it be possible to leave Valparai by 6 in the morning, finish the waterfall visit and return by late afternoon? More importantly, is it advisable to do it at all now, considering the rains and the bad roads?
Old 8th September 2011, 15:41   #75
BHPian

Quote:
I booked at Valley View bungalow, Glendale estate after Ampere's and ch.nathan's posts about it. Thanks Ampere for sending the details. Rasha karambaya, the lady incharge of managing the bungalows, was quite descriptive and clarified all my doubts. Thanks pypkmsrikanth for your useful inputs too! I will try to spot some birds in the early mornings.

Also, a doubt about Athirapally now. There are conflicting pieces of information on the route from Valparai to Athirapally falls. Google maps says it is 65km, and some forums say it is 110 km. What is the exact distance to/from Valparai? Would it be possible to leave Valparai by 6 in the morning, finish the waterfall visit and return by late afternoon? More importantly, is it advisable to do it at all now, considering the rains and the bad roads?

Valparai to athirapalli is a clean 2.5 to 3 hrs drive.
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote