Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 26th September 2009, 15:18   #1
BHPian

Default Bangalore to Kottayam via Ghats

I'am driving down to Tiruvalla from Bangalore tomorrow. I normally take the Bangalore- Mettur-Palaghat-Alwaye-Chotanikara -Ettumanur-TVLA route. I Start in the morning at aroun 6 AM. The problem is from Palaghat onwards the traffic does not allow you to move fast. I have heard of the the route through Theni-Kumily etc which will touch either Kottayam or Changanesseri.

If you know about it can you share info. Also info about good watering holes would be usefull. I know the route from Bangalore to Salem. From there on is uncharted territory for me.
lediablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 16:36   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

From Salem, take the route to Dindigul - Theni - Kumily - Kuttikkanam - Mundakkayam - Kanjirappally - Ponkunnam - Changanasseri - Thiruvalla. Should not be a problem as we dont have many deviations in this route. Also route was pretty good when I went 3 months back. Remember after Ponkunnam [around 15 kms] there is a round about where taking a right turn will go to Kottayam and left turn goes to Changanasseri. You have ample markings there which will help you navigate; so dont worry!
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 19:09   #3
BHPian

Thanks. Took the same route. The roads were good through out with a few flyover constructions near Karur.
lediablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 00:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Whats the time taken for the whole trip? What was the speed of the drive?
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 01:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...via-salem.html

Read this thread. Just got updated. Contact the guys who did the last two-three posts...they should be able to help you out.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 19:49   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore to Kottayam via Ghats

I did Bangalore to Kottayam via Dindigul-Bathalagundu-Cumbum-Theni-Kumily couple of weeks back. The road was very good until Kumily. After Kumily, there were too many pot holes on the road after this rain. The average speed really reduces and often will have to swirl around the pot holes on this twisty road. It also makes overtaking too difficult.

Total Toll: Rs 235/-

For me it took 8 hours from Bangalore to Kumily. Kumily to Kottayam took nearly 3 hours

Last edited by Tommie : 9th October 2011 at 19:50.
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2013, 20:17   #7
BHPian

Did this last week. Took 10.5 hours from karukachal to hsr layout. Roads are good but for a strech post kumily. Started on both ocassions at 4 am.
aajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2013, 21:55   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
Did this last week. Took 10.5 hours from karukachal to hsr layout. Roads are good but for a strech post kumily. Started on both ocassions at 4 am.
Has there any road work beyond Kumily? Or its all on the TN side only?
Because I have seen no updates on the Kerala side.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 11:01   #9

Planning to go to Bangalore from Kottayam via Calicut and Mysore. Any ideas / thoughts?
atulajith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 12:55   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulajith View Post
Planning to go to Bangalore from Kottayam via Calicut and Mysore. Any ideas / thoughts?
Way too long a ride. Why would you like to do that? If you want ghats, take the road via Kumily.
Old 20th March 2014, 12:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Way too long a ride. Why would you like to do that? If you want ghats, take the road via Kumily.
Hi Ampere - just want to avoid the long hot and dry highway. This is a leisure trip so dont mind the distance. Any idea if the road is good?

On a side note, what is the right route through Kumily? Thanks in advance.
Old 20th March 2014, 17:27   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Ampere - just want to avoid the long hot and dry highway. This is a leisure trip so dont mind the distance. Any idea if the road is good?
I do understand the need for the drive for leisure. Just wanted to make aware the point, it may become fatigued out. Hence my comment.
Because you need to hit NH17 or NH47 once you get down the Nilambur side. So you are driving too many high traffic sections.

Quote:
On a side note, what is the right route through Kumily? Thanks in advance.
Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Kumily-Kanjirapally-Kottayam

Last edited by ampere : 20th March 2014 at 17:28.
Old 21st March 2014, 09:17   #13

Thanks Ampere. Any thoughts on the Bandipur route to Bangalore?
Old 21st March 2014, 13:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
just want to avoid the long hot and dry highway. This is a leisure trip so dont mind the distance. Any idea if the road is good?
The problem with your proposed route via Calicut is that a large portion of the drive is on Kerala roads which in my opinion are far too congested for a leisurely drive. You'd be driving through dense traffic almost till the Thamarassery ghats (And will definitely take a long time reaching there).

The drive from there on would be OK, except that I'd suggest skipping the road via Mysore and instead going via Gundlupet-Chamarajnagar and NH209 from there on because the route via Mysore has high traffic and has innumerable speedbreakers to add to your woes.

Except for short stretches of average roads between Gundlupet and Chamarajnagar good roads all the way through.

The best route between Kottayam and Bangalore is of course the one that Ampere suggested - the one via Kumily-Theni-Dindigul-Salem. If you want alternates that avoids the "dry and fast" 4 laned NH7, may be you can try some of the interior state highways in Tamil nadu (most of which are generally in very good shape, and doen't see too much traffic) and join either NH209 at Annur or Sathyamangalam (via Dharapuram-Avinashi) or NH7 at Hosur (via Palacode).
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 13:13   #15
Team-BHP Support

+1 to Kala. The more you avoid interior roads of Kerala the better. If you need alternate routes try the interiors of TN. Like the one that Suresh did.

Hosur-Rayakottai-Palacode-Thoppur-Omalur-Sankari-Tiruchengode-Karur-Dindigul-Theni-Kumily-Kanjirapally-Kottayam.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3394096 (Bangalore to Thekkady)

Or Try the NH209 like what Kala mentioned.

Kanakpura-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Sathyamangalam-Annur-Avinashi-Palladam-Dharapuram-oodanchatram-Bathlagundu-Kumily-Kanjirapally-Kottayam