Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 6th February 2017, 07:54   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If temple visits are at the core of the drives, I hope you have taken into account the temple timings. Because if temples indeed are the reason, I am sure 3 days wont be enough.
Thanks for the reply.

Temple visit is the core objective but for the archeological and architectural interests. So we think the timings are not relevant.
ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 08:17   #152
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Chennai - Madurai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Temple visit is the core objective but for the archeological and architectural interests. So we think the timings are not relevant.
If thats case then I would suggest focus more on a region than going a longer span. Because you may not be able to spend time more at one place.

Off the below list:

Kollam-Trichy- Thanjavur-Kubakonam-Chidambaram-Pondy-Mammalapuram- Mahabalipuram-Kollam

Trichy : Srirangam and Thiruvanaikaval are good to visit.
Kumbakonam : There are some huge and beautiful structures here. (Darasuram should be on the list for sure)

If you keep your base here, you can look at Gangaikonda Cholapuram and Chidambaram.

Agreed Mahabalipuram is a good. But some how I still feel you would be stretching especially since you take a lot of traffic to cross Cudallore/Pondicherry etc.

- D1 : Kollam-Trichy : About 8 hours (via Madurai). A 4AM start means you should be there by noon. Assume you spend the noon/evening visiting Srirangam and Thirvanaikaval and are done by 5/6, you can make it for night visit to Tanjore temple and be done for the day.

- D2: Start early to beat the morning traffic to be in Kumbakonam by 6. Depending on what temples you have on your list, you can plan. It can take easily take days to go around Kumbakonam depending on what all you want to visit. Assuming you want to visit Chidambaram, I would suggest keep Kumbakonam for half day and head to Chidambaram via Gangaikonda Cholapuram. (Its a must!). Stay for the night in Chidamabaram.

- D3 : Since you need to be back, you cannot proceed further but you need to return. Visit Chidambaram early morning and head back via Sirkazhi and brace yourself for a long drive home. (10+ hours)

Last edited by ampere : 6th February 2017 at 08:19.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 11:28   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If thats case then I would suggest focus more on a region than going a longer span. Because you may not be able to spend time more at one pla..........

..... back, you cannot proceed further but you need to return. Visit Chidambaram early morning and head back via Sirkazhi and brace yourself for a long drive home. (10+ hours)
Thanks for the detailed reply ampere. Will discuss with team and revert
ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote