Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 6th October 2009, 18:24   #1
BHPian

Default Need suggestions for 3-4 day trip with family

I am in a utter state of disarray and have no option but to cry out loud for help.

I had submitted my sons passport for renewal. I received one of them last week, however the other one is not going to arrive before 21st Oct 09.

Trouble is I had planned for an international holiday for 3\4 days at Bangkok and had blocked the tickets. I was forced to cancel the plan today afternoon once I realised that one of my kids passport wont make it in time.

Now i am in a dilemna of where to go and how. I still want to take a 3\4 day holiday, however have a good amount of restrictions on where I can travel within India. I was thinking of going to either Ooty or Coorg or Kerala down south, however none of the deals available are tempting to take a plunge.

I am not sure if my wife would be keen on me driving all the way to any of these places and getting a train booking is out of question so late in the day.

Can any of the enlightened souls on the forum guide me to what would be a good getaway to plan from Pune during the weekend of Diwali and a couple of days here and there before and after Diwali?

TIA
KPB( in distress)
kpbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 19:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
I am in a utter state of disarray and have no option but to cry out loud for help.

I had submitted my sons passport for renewal. I received one of them last week, however the other one is not going to arrive before 21st Oct 09.

Trouble is I had planned for an international holiday for 3\4 days at Bangkok and had blocked the tickets. I was forced to cancel the plan today afternoon once I realised that one of my kids passport wont make it in time.

Now i am in a dilemna of where to go and how. I still want to take a 3\4 day holiday, however have a good amount of restrictions on where I can travel within India. I was thinking of going to either Ooty or Coorg or Kerala down south, however none of the deals available are tempting to take a plunge.

I am not sure if my wife would be keen on me driving all the way to any of these places and getting a train booking is out of question so late in the day.

Can any of the enlightened souls on the forum guide me to what would be a good getaway to plan from Pune during the weekend of Diwali and a couple of days here and there before and after Diwali?

TIA
KPB( in distress)
The evergreen destination-Goa is very much within your reach and plus very much driveable,though with the extended Diwali weekend,you can expect crowds at any destination within India at this moment of time.Zillions of places to stay in Goa depending on budget.Plus an interesting drive via NH4-Amboli ghats etc.The Amboli waterfalls would be in full flow by now.

I did not see Kodai in your list either.That is another interesting option.Pune-Coimbatore-Kodai.The Carlton @ Kodai is a very interesting place to stay @ Kodai.

If its a short holiday then Pune-Blore-Yercaud is also pretty much good,its the poorer cousin of the more popular hill stations of
Ooty,Kodai.Munnar.The GRT Jungle Trails is a nice place @ Yercaud.

Valparai is another option down south,It is around 2hrs from Coimbatore.The Tea Bungalows are an ideal place to stay @ Valparai.

If it is man-made nature you are looking at then Lavasa seems to be good,but then I dont think it would be an ideal holiday so close to home for you.

Then you have the usual suspects:Mahabaleshwar,Harihareshwar,Alibaug etc

Munnar at this time of the year would be interesting as well,but with the season kicking in and the long weekend expect high rates at any place.You could do a 3nights at Munnar and 1 night at Kumarakom with a day cruise on the houseboat and stay at the kumarakom resorts.

If you are game for a long drive,then you can stretch your imagination to Udaipur and back.3nights @ Udaipur would be idea.The GQ roads are reported to be in good shape.Again a place with upteen number of stay options depending on budget.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 20:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you the following

Konkan Belt including

Raighad-Murud Janjira-Hari-hareshwar-Ganpatipule - Marleshwar- Tarlkarli beach-Amboli Ghat

this stretch is safe, you can do in your car, you can get home cooked food, getting reservation/ accomadation is easy.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 22:29   #4
BHPian

Hello,
Pls refer to a recent such post at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...harashtra.html (Suggestions for a weeks holiday in W Maharashtra)

Regards
naren_gs1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 17:28   #5
BHPian

thanks for all the recommendations -- after a lot of discussion and deliberation at home, we have 2 more travellers joining us - my parents. so this trip is going to get converted into a leisure and heritage trip. We plan to do the following in a span of 3 days ( weather gods willing)

Pune-ShaniShinganapur-Shirdi-Nashik- Vani- Saputara- Pune.

Will update with a travelogue at the end of the journey.
Old 8th October 2009, 20:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Wow what a conclusion for the weeklong confusion. Great do update the travelogues later.
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 20:11   #7
BHPian

If this is a pilgrimage, you might want to inlcude Trimbakeshwar as well which is near Nashik
naren_gs1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 12:21   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_gs1 View Post
If this is a pilgrimage, you might want to inlcude Trimbakeshwar as well which is near Nashik
Yes Naren -- we have Trimbakeshwar on the list and a slight change in the route too

we would be doing

Pune-Ranjangaon-Ahmednagar-ShaniShinganapur-Shirdi-Nashik-Saputara with halts at Ahmednagar and Nashik at night and a 2 day stay at Saputara.

On the way back we would be doing
Saputara-Vani-Nashik-Trimbakeshwar-Pune.
Old 9th October 2009, 13:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pune-Ranjangaon-Ahmednagar-ShaniShinganapur-Shirdi-Nashik-Saputara with halts at Ahmednagar and Nashik at night and a 2 day stay at Saputara.

while going to shani shinganapur from nagar, do take aurangabad road till ghodegaon/vadala and then turn left toward shani shinganapur which is just 5 km from 4 lane a'bad road.
better to halt at shirdi rather than nagar.
then shirdi to saputara via nasik on second day.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 07:49   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
while going to shani shinganapur from nagar, do take aurangabad road till ghodegaon/vadala and then turn left toward shani shinganapur which is just 5 km from 4 lane a'bad road.
better to halt at shirdi rather than nagar.
then shirdi to saputara via nasik on second day.
thanks Ashish -- was surprised not to see your suggestion for quite some time -- i knew you must have travelled this stretch.
Old 10th October 2009, 12:16   #11
BHPian

Quote:
On the way back we would be doing
Saputara-Vani-Nashik-Trimbakeshwar-Pune.
Can I suggest a slight deviation on your return?

While returning from Nashik take the Nasik - Igatpuri road up to Ghoti.

From Ghoti take this route to Pune :

(1)Bhandardara - Rajur - Akole - Sangamner - Bota Ghat - Manchar - Pune.

(2) (alternate)Bhandardara - Rajur - Kotul - Alephata - Pune (this route is full of twists and turns - not advisable after dark, as this may be your first trip)

On the Nasik - Igatpuri (1 hour) (a good road, but heavy traffic) section you will be able to see Pandava Caves - where the legend goes that the Pandavas stayed.

Between Ghoti and Bhandardara (1 hour) (state highway - road is reasonbaly good) you can go a small temple (Taket) where Lakhshman was supposed to have shot his arrow in a rock for extracting water for Jatayu, who was struck down by Ravana. You can actually see water spouting from a small aperture.

In the temple, there is a small hole in which there is a round stone (ghota), which you are required to pull out with a hand. Legend goes that only those women who have borne a son (or will bear a son) can remove this!

You can also see "Kalsubhai" - the highest peak on the Sahyadri Range and smell rice now (perfect time to get "Kala Bath" - a unique variety of rice where the husk is black in colour and smells wonderful!)

There is an MTDC resort at Bhandardara where you can halt and have a nice break - if you are able to catch a boat across the backwater, you can visit Ratanwadi temple - about 300 years old.
(There is a road from Bhandardara to Ratanwadi which I have travelled by motorbike - barely metalled - if you are lucky you can sight leopards!)

Bhandardara - Rajur - Akole road is state highway and ok to drive will be beautifully green and nice twisty roads (about 2 hours drive).
Akole - Sangamner (45 minutes) and Sangamner - Pune (3 hours) (highway - 2 lane upto Chakan, after which there is a four lane toll road)

Rajur - Kotul - Alephata - Pune will take about 3.5 hours.
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2016, 12:04   #12
BHPian

Default Need Suggestions - Vacation in May

Hello,

I am planning a vacation in May. The dates are follows:

Dates:
6th May 2016: Onward journey and relax at the destination
7th May: See places around
8th May: See places around
9th May: Return journey

Transportation: Fiesta 1.6
Travellers: Me and Wife

I live in Pune and I am looking for places not more than 500km one way drive. Only criteria is the place shouldn't be too hot and humid considering it is a peak summer.

I am looking for a different location than the usual one. Need help from all you guys to plan this trip. We have already covered entire konkan, all places near Pune, all places between
1) Pune and Mumbai
2) Pune and Kolhapur
3) Pune and Nashik
4) Pune and Aurangabad

Please help me in deciding.
fiesta1.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2016, 13:18   #13
BHPian

Default Re: Need Suggestions - Vacation in May

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta1.6 View Post
I live in Pune and I am looking for places not more than 500km one way drive. Only criteria is the place shouldn't be too hot and humid considering it is a peak summer.
If this kind of thing interests you guys, how about the Lonar crater lake?

Not only is it the only known impact crater in basalt rock on the whole earth but it has also many ancient temples around and near it.Check out the wiki link for photos of temples.

It has been know to us since ancient times (oldest reference - Skanda Puran)
Imagine which all mythological and historic people have been there! For all you know you might end up standing exactly in the same place where Shivaji himself stood (or at a stretch of imagination even Lord Ram! Actually not that far fetched considering Ram, Sita Laxman have been known to have stayed at Panchavati, Nashik. Also Lonar would have been part of Dandakaranya)

Pune - Lonar ~381M (as per google maps)
MTDC Lonar resort seems to have a reasonably high rating. Google should help you out with other options

Disclaimer: I have personally not been here but it is on my todo list for quite some time.
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2016, 13:42   #14
BHPian

Lonar is a good suggestion if upwards of 38 degrees weather is ok with you. MTDC there has closed down, according to google. Moreover, during Shivaji and Ram's era, I'm sure summers were more pleasant.
It's on my bucket list too.. just not in summer. Go towards the sea.. Ganpatipule or thereabouts.
Shanmd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2016, 15:04   #15
BHPian

For a Pune Guy, Obvious choice will be Panchgani and Mahabaleshwar.

This trip will be particularly exciting for the family as you can visit Strawberry orchards and eat freshly pluck strawberries.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote