Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th December 2010, 11:42   #31
BHPian

Default Re: NH25 Kanpur-Lucknow in a mess

>>>
sgiitk,

Is there a circuitous way, a la 'scratching your nose with your right hand by extending your hand past the left ear'? Pardon me for being so graphic but can one use less frequented 'country roads' which connect you somewhere near Banthra/Amausi?

Regards, drive safe

P.S. : Let me also see in Google Maps
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 14:10   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

I am afraid not. The best you can do is go to Unnao by the old Ganga Bridge and then join the NH25 at the tri-junction.

I do not know what are we heading for. A fortnight ago we had to go to Gwalior (270km NH2 + NH92). NH2 was great and I hit Etawah (160km) in 2:15 from my home. Then between Bhind and Gwalior specifically to Gohad there is a 40+km stretch where there is effectively no road. I saw truckers stopping to figure out how to go. This stretch took me the better part of 3 hours. This is a NH under NHAI in MP (Kamal Nath's home state).

I drove back on Gwalior-Jhansi-Kanpur (320km) and took me almost 7:30! Gwalior-Jhansi is NS Corridor, and Jhansi-Kanpur-EW Corridor, both currently under construction. At least my BP stayed a bit more normal. I have to make another trip to Gwalior in mid-January and am seriously considering Kanpur-Agra-Gwalior which will be more like 370km, but near perfect roads!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 15:42   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am afraid not. The best you can do is go to Unnao by the old Ganga Bridge and then join the NH25 at the tri-junction.

I do not know what are we heading for. A fortnight ago we had to go to Gwalior (270km NH2 + NH92). NH2 was great and I hit Etawah (160km) in 2:15 from my home. Then between Bhind and Gwalior specifically to Gohad there is a 40+km stretch where there is effectively no road. I saw truckers stopping to figure out how to go. This stretch took me the better part of 3 hours. This is a NH under NHAI in MP (Kamal Nath's home state).

I drove back on Gwalior-Jhansi-Kanpur (320km) and took me almost 7:30! Gwalior-Jhansi is NS Corridor, and Jhansi-Kanpur-EW Corridor, both currently under construction. At least my BP stayed a bit more normal. I have to make another trip to Gwalior in mid-January and am seriously considering Kanpur-Agra-Gwalior which will be more like 370km, but near perfect roads!
Gwalior-Jhansi still in bad shape.Will it take another year to complete sgiitk?
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 11:10   #34
BHPian

Quote:
seriously considering Kanpur-Agra-Gwalior which will be more like 370km, but near perfect roads!
>>>

There's your answer : longer distance wise, but better time wise and definitely better 'protecting your engine, transmission, brakes, suspension' wise!

If only one had a similar choice for the NH25.

By the way, how do the taxi wallahs manage : a decade and more ago, I used to travel in shared taxis by getting them just a little off the Charbagh chhoti line ( LKJN) station and terminate at ( I think) Mall Road.

Regards, drive safe

Last edited by issigonis : 11th December 2010 at 11:10. Reason: Corrected a spelling mistake
Old 22nd December 2010, 09:31   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Today's Lucknow/Kanpur Times of India has devoted a full page to the road mess. The best bit is that the new bridge is held up since the local admin is demanding Rs.2cr from NHAI to set up a museum for the artefacts dug up from the Jajmau Teela. As per the ToI four hours for Kanpur-Lucknow is not unusual.

Incidentally, one frequent source of blockages are the overturned trucks, mostly carrying coarse sand (maurang), which are grossly overloaded (at least 100%).

@issigonis: taxiwallahs suffer as much as we do. Only they may contribute to the jam by trying to force their way through.
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:10   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Today's Lucknow/Kanpur Times of India has devoted a full page to the road mess. The best bit is that the new bridge is held up since the local admin is demanding Rs.2cr from NHAI to set up a museum for the artefacts dug up from the Jajmau Teela. As per the ToI four hours for Kanpur-Lucknow is not unusual.

Incidentally, one frequent source of blockages are the overturned trucks, mostly carrying coarse sand (maurang), which are grossly overloaded (at least 100%).

@issigonis: taxiwallahs suffer as much as we do. Only they may contribute to the jam by trying to force their way through.
>>>
Nostalgia for me. Maurang (gravel) is supposedly to be quarried ( for want of a better word to describe this activity) only from the banks of the Yamuna in places such as Kalpi and Hamirpur. I don't know if the sand that is excavated from the banks of the Ganga is Maurang or not.

Regards, drive safe
Old 22nd December 2010, 12:11   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

The link is e-paper Sign-in It is Page 4 of the main paper.

afaik Maurang is also quarried from the Ganges.
Old 10th February 2011, 11:52   #38
BHPian

sgiitk sir,

Did you travelled to Gwalior in January?? You said you were planning for that. How are road conditions as of now??. any idea to others on this forum. I am planning to travel from kanpur to Gwalior this sunday. Which route will be best according to the members on this forum. Should I take Kanpur-Jhansi-Gwalior route or Kanpur-Agra-Gwalior?
<Badguy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 13:31   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

I travelled Kanpur-Etawah-Bhind- Gwalior. There is about 13 km of really bad road between Mehgaon and Gohad. Even here the worst potholes now have some stone/gravel in them. Took me 5-1/2 hours door to door. The other point is the speed bump at the RTO checkpoint as you enter Gwalior. You cannot avoid scraping the bottom unless you have a SUV.
Old 4th May 2011, 20:47   #40
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread.

Any latest update on the road conditions between Kanpur and Lucknow? Also, tentative drive times?

Appreciate responses from folks who might have travelled in recent times.

Cheers,
Ardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 14:25   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

I had occasion to return from Lucknow Airport last Saturday (14 July). While the bulk of the road is in a better shape, the stretch where the railway overbrigdge is being constructed at Unnao is now only Tractorable. I was in a Fiesta and the vehicle had nightmare of a time doing this km or so. I shudder to think if I take my Civic what will happen. The return toll has been upped from Rs.60 to 65!
Old 20th July 2012, 15:18   #42
BHPian

Quote:
I had occasion to return from Lucknow Airport last Saturday (14 July). While the bulk of the road is in a better shape, the stretch where the railway overbrigdge is being constructed at Unnao is now only Tractorable. I was in a Fiesta and the vehicle had nightmare of a time doing this km or so. I shudder to think if I take my Civic what will happen. The return toll has been upped from Rs.60 to 65!
I ditto that. Stretch between thtt railway overbridge during monsoon is better avoidable. One can go inside unnao through bypass and come and meet the same road after crossing civil lines gol chakkar
sparkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 11:48   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Travelled Kanpur-Lucknow-Kanpur day before yesterday. The Kanpur Unnao stretch is as bad as the Mumbai road pictures we see on the box. Even the rest is bad - took me almost 3 hours for 110km.

This is the highway which was the first to be undertaken in the GQ project. Neer been particularly good and is now atrocious. Maybe the current govts bullock carts and tractors are happy with it.

Last edited by sgiitk : 17th July 2013 at 11:50.
Old 16th August 2013, 19:05   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Travelled Kanpur-Lucknow-Kanpur day before yesterday. The Kanpur Unnao stretch is as bad as the Mumbai road pictures we see on the box. Even the rest is bad - took me almost 3 hours for 110km.
Travelled from Lucknow to Jhansi and Barua Sagar and back via Kanpur last Saturday/Sunday. Since I started from Lucknow at 5.25 in the morning, I could manage Lucknow - Kanpur exactly in two hours. Back from Jhansi next day evening, I touched Rama Davi flyover point on the Allahabad side in Kanpur at 8.55 pm. The road is full of big potholes, and one has to be prepared to fall in some. Yet I managed the distance in two hours.

It looks the flyovers at Kanpur and Unnao are going to take years (or decades?)!

Kanpur to Jhansi was a mixed kind. Truck's tyre marks have made the surface of the highway uneven, and you have to drive carefully. I had to reduce the speed below 100 and 80 kmph in many points.

A km and half on NH 25 after Kalpi bridge across Yamuna is still single-lane and is utterly broken! SUVs will be better bet.

Though I reached Jhansi town by 11.50 am, I was caught in a bad traffic jam, and was out of it, covering just one km, only at 2.10 pm!!! I have been getting an average of 19.5 kmpl, but this time I could manage only 17 kmpl.

Vipin.
Vipin Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 09:20   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

@Vipin; Thanks for the update. Lko-CNB is not half as bad as CNB-Lko. Also, as for CNB-Jhansi two queries - byepass of Orai and is the section near Ait done. It was a culvert under construction and a pain.