Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 16th October 2009, 13:03   #1
BHPian

Default Euorpe Backpack Trip-Suggestions Please (Freiberg-Zurich-Geneva-Lyon-Paris-Amsterdam)

Hi

I am requesting the following info on behalf of my friend who is going on a backpack trip to Europe in November 2009 (next month). Unfortunately I am not accompanying him

The following is his planned itinerary. Any of you who have traveled to any of these places please give info on Things to do, places to visit and other valuable suggestions.

-Entire Europe sector will be traveled either by Train, Bus, Ferry, or if possible Car. So any suggestions on local transport needed.
-Its a backpack trip. Minimal luggage and minimal budget. Good places to stay.
-Main criteria of my friend is to enjoy the party scene.No budget constraints here!Good 'watering holes' details please.

November 2009
6th – Arrive at Berlin
7th – to Freiberg (Black forest)
8th – Freiberg (Black forest)
9th – to Zurich
10th - Zurich
11th – to Geneva
12th – Geneva
13th – to Lyon
14th – Lyon
15th – to Paris
16th – Paris
17th – Paris
18th – to Amsterdam
19th – Amsterdam
20th - Amsterdam
21st - to Berlin
22nd – Prague
23rd – Prague
24th – Berlin
25th - Return to India

So any inputs on any of the above places, tips, warnings, places to eat etc will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by ashwinsid : 16th October 2009 at 13:10.
ashwinsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 01:05   #2
BHPian

Your kind suggestions are still awaited
Old 19th October 2009, 08:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nothing like Eurail for Europe! I am a diehard fan of travelling by trains in Europe, done it twice and seen all of Europe that way. Your friend can squeeze his schedule a bit and get it down to 15 days so that he can buy a 15-day Eurail pass - unlimited first class travel, 15 continuous days. Night berths and reservation charges extra.

All the places he plans to go in W Europe are extremely well-connected by rail.

I think he should spend a whole day in Berlin, lovely city.
Take a night train out of Berlin to Frankfurt, saves him a hotel room, Freiberg is well-connected with Frankfurt and well-connected.

From Freiberg, he should take his next train to Basel (on way to Zurich), switch to a local train, go to Schauffhasen (Rhine Falls) and go on to Zurich. Zurich is expensive for back-packers, maybe it is a better idea to stay in Rhine Falls.

Why no Interlaken/Jungfraukoch? That is a detour off the Zurich-Berne-Geneva route.
He can take 1 day off in Interlaken - he will get cheap places to stay there.
From Interlaken, he can do nothing better than take the Panorama train ride (wow, what scenery) to Lucerne.

There is a fast TGV train between Geneva and Paris direct, why Lyons? Since he has spent that extra day for Lucerne.

1 day in Paris is expensive!
Amsterdam is just 5-6 hours away via Brussels, if you want to drop by.
Why not extend from Amsterdam to Hague (Dan Hague)?

No need to return to Berlin - he can go direct from Amsterdam to Prague - although I do not know the connections, but Koln/Cologne is one of the largest junctions in Europe and that is just 3 hours from Amsterdam - I would also suggest Vienna, which is a city to die for. Unless he has some special reason to go to Prague, I think he must go to Vienna. Prague - never been there, check out if Eurail applies, you have to take one more visa unlike the rest of Europe he is visiting which need only one Schengen visa.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 09:37   #4
BHPian

Wow! You Sirji, are a master at traveling abroad too!

My friend's friend is in Berlin right now and both of them are going on this trip and both will be returning to India together. So they HAVE to visit Berlin again to pack all the luggage. But I think this info is quite enough. Will forward the same to him. Thanks!

Last edited by ashwinsid : 20th October 2009 at 09:46.