Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 14th June 2016, 15:44   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Route Update: Bangalore to Madurai to Bangalore

Thank you. 7 hours from Silk Board seems reasonable then.
sridhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 21:38   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Thank you. 7 hours from Silk Board seems reasonable then.
Yes with breaks. Infact, with just one break you can easily do it in lesser time with your Duster. Roads are almost traffic free after Namakkal all the way till you cross Dindigul/Samayanallur.

-Ravi
ravib is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 21:56   #33
Senior - BHPian

I need to head onwards to kutrallam from Bangalore. Do I go via madurai on the highway? How much longer? Do I stick to the same highway?
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 22:01   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I need to head onwards to kutrallam from Bangalore. Do I go via madurai on the highway? How much longer? Do I stick to the same highway?
Be on NH7 till Thirumangalam. Take the exit to Sriviliputtur. Its about 140km. Ravi should know more about the road conditions.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 11:19   #35
BHPian

@Red Liner, you can take a look at this thread for more details.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ourtallam.html (Bangalore - Tenkasi/Courtallam)

The last we heard was the road conditions was not great but that was back in January. Due to TN election, i am guessing they would have relaid the roads or atleast patched it, so you can still go in NH208.

Not just that, since your destination is Kutralam, there is no benefit taking a detour via NH7 till Tirunelveli or even Sivakasi. So i suggest stick to NH208 itself as the driving time will be same. Let us know how the current road conditions are.

-Ravi
ravib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 14:16   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Stick to NH208. No need to go via Madurai. NH7 neatly bypasses Madurai from Samayanallur to Kappalur.

Timing is critical, I wouldn't drive NH208 after sundown. Roads are good, its the traffic that sucked in the evening. I was doing an average of 30 kmph between Tenkasi and Srivilliputtur.

Detours won't add any value. I've driven Srivilliputtur-Sivakasi-Virudhunagar once, roads are good but has innumerable unmarked speed breakers (thanks to reckless Madurai-Sivakasi private buses).
narayans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2016, 20:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

Ok folks, so it's nh7 upto thirumangalam. Then after the thiru toll, stick to the left and watch for the signboard that's the nh208 to courtallam. Hope I got this right.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 18:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

Ok, so here is the uodate:

The roads are patchy at best on NH 208. No unmarked speed breakers... No breakers at all. But you can't do over 70 in the day. And absolutely best avoided at night!
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 19:34   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, so here is the uodate:

The roads are patchy at best on NH 208. No unmarked speed breakers... No breakers at all. But you can't do over 70 in the day. And absolutely best avoided at night!
Thanks for the update. As expected it was at least patched. The nature of this road is usually like that. Its best avoided in night. Also the trucks will normally drive in center of the road (to avoid their load hitting tree branches) leaving less space for opposite side vehicles or even the same side vehicles to overtake. Should be careful and honk a lot to overtake those trucks.

-Ravi
ravib is online now   Reply With Quote