Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 20th October 2009, 16:24   #1
BHPian

Default Quick Help - What places to cover from Bangalore?

Dear All - Just wanted to know if it is possible to cover Udupi, Sringeri, Dharmastala and Horanadu in 3 days from Bangalore (no night driving for me)? If not, what are the best places that we can cover over the 3 days in this vicinity?

Please also provide the best possible route details (no pot holed roads please..!!) Even if it's a bit longer it should be ok i guess.

Thanks in advance.
NFS2024 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 16:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think it is possible

Day 1: Leave early Morning

Option 1: Bangalore - Hassan - Chikmagalur - Shringeri - Horanadu - Udupi

Option 2 : Bangallore - Dharmathala - Udupi Stay

Day 2 : visit Udupi Krishna temple, surroundings, Horanadu, return to udupi and stay etc

Day 3 : leave Udupi early - visit (Option 1) Dharmasthala or (Option 2) - Shringeri leave after lunch, reach Bangalore by late evening.

It is difficult to find a road w/o pot hole,

hope this helps

Last edited by StarVegabond : 20th October 2009 at 16:48.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 16:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

NFS, if you dont want roads with "potholes" then better avoid these destinations.

But 3 days will be tight with the present road condition to cover all the above places.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 16:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

It is possible to cover this in 3 days.

Day 1 - Start early from Bangalore, reach Dharmasthala by afternoon, finish darshan at the temple and reach Udupi by evening. Stay at Udupi. Take the following route

B'lore-Magadi-Kunigal-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere hand post-Charmadi ghat-Ujire-Dharmasthala-Ujire-Guruvayanakere-Karkala-Manipal-Udupi

The road upto Hassan is relatively good. Hassan to Belur is excellent. Belur to Mudigere hand post is ridden with potholes, but I think it can be managed. Mudigere to Ujire via Charmadi is rough but the best alternative to Shiradi ghat. Dharmasthala to Manipal via Karkala is relatively good but narrow. Do keep tabs on the updates posted in this forum. If you can leave very early, you can cover Kukke Subramanya as well.

Day 2 - Start from Udupi, reach Agumbe-Sringeri, Finish darshan at the temple and start for Hornadu, proceed to Chikmagalur for the night stay. Take the following route.

Udupi-Manipal-Someshwara-Agumbe-Sringeri-Hornadu-Kalasa-Kottigehaara-Mudigere-Chikmagalur or Kalasa-Balehonnur-Chikmagalur

Udupi-Manipal-Someshwara road was good but it has broken down during the monsoons. There have been numerous updates on this route in the forum, please go through a couple of pages back.

Day 3 - Start leisurely from Chikmagalur and reach Bangalore via Belur-Hassan-Kunigal-Magadi
OR
You can visit Mullayanagiri/Bababudangiri & Kemmangundi from Chikmagalur and return to Bangalore late in the evening.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 18:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
I think it is possible

Day 1: Leave early Morning

Option 1: Bangalore - Hassan - Chikmagalur - Shringeri - Horanadu - Udupi

Option 2 : Bangallore - Dharmathala - Udupi Stay

Day 2 : visit Udupi Krishna temple, surroundings, Horanadu, return to udupi and stay etc

Day 3 : leave Udupi early - visit (Option 1) Dharmasthala or (Option 2) - Shringeri leave after lunch, reach Bangalore by late evening.

It is difficult to find a road w/o pot hole,

hope this helps
Thanks, this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
NFS, if you dont want roads with "potholes" then better avoid these destinations.

But 3 days will be tight with the present road condition to cover all the above places.
Lohith - i only meant craters when i said pot holes. I understand there cannot be any stretch of road without pot holes. Just dont want to run into craters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
It is possible to cover this in 3 days.

Day 1 - Start early from Bangalore, reach Dharmasthala by afternoon, finish darshan at the temple and reach Udupi by evening. Stay at Udupi. Take the following route

B'lore-Magadi-Kunigal-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere hand post-Charmadi ghat-Ujire-Dharmasthala-Ujire-Guruvayanakere-Karkala-Manipal-Udupi

How long would this journey be? Say if i leave at 6 in the morning, when will i reach Udupi after stop over at Dharmasthala?

The road upto Hassan is relatively good. Hassan to Belur is excellent. Belur to Mudigere hand post is ridden with potholes, but I think it can be managed. Mudigere to Ujire via Charmadi is rough but the best alternative to Shiradi ghat. Dharmasthala to Manipal via Karkala is relatively good but narrow. Do keep tabs on the updates posted in this forum. If you can leave very early, you can cover Kukke Subramanya as well.

Day 2 - Start from Udupi, reach Agumbe-Sringeri, Finish darshan at the temple and start for Hornadu, proceed to Chikmagalur for the night stay. Take the following route.

Udupi-Manipal-Someshwara-Agumbe-Sringeri-Hornadu-Kalasa-Kottigehaara-Mudigere-Chikmagalur or Kalasa-Balehonnur-Chikmagalur

Same request as above. How far would the distance be and how long would it take to reach from Udupi to Chikmaglur after stopping over at Sringeri and Horanadu?

Udupi-Manipal-Someshwara road was good but it has broken down during the monsoons. There have been numerous updates on this route in the forum, please go through a couple of pages back.

Day 3 - Start leisurely from Chikmagalur and reach Bangalore via Belur-Hassan-Kunigal-Magadi
OR
You can visit Mullayanagiri/Bababudangiri & Kemmangundi from Chikmagalur and return to Bangalore late in the evening.

Thanks all for all the help. Since I have not driven on these roads / routes, would need your help.
NFS2024 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 18:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore - Dharmathala is about 310-340 KM depending on which part of bangalore you stay.

If you are a first time driver to this region i would suggest you take an avg of 50-55KM per hour max. So it might take you some where 6-7 hours apart from delay in existing Bangalore and the breakfast and other breaks in between.

if you leave at 6 AM in the morning, you can reach Dharmasthala by 2 PM.
Dharmasthala temple visit, Bahubali statue visit can take you some 3 hours max. i think, temple is closed in the afternoon till 4 PM.
you can use the time to have lunch, visit Bahubali statue etc then visit temple when it re-opens and then travel to Udupi, you can reach Udupi by 7.00-7.30 PM

Udupi to Shringeri might take approx 3 hours excluding stops at Agumbe Ghat, Manipal etc. I suggest you leave early morning on day 3 and reach Shringeri by 11 AM, and then proceed to Horanadu.

I am not aware of Shringeri-Horanadu stretch as i have never traveled on that stretch.

Chikmagalur to Hassan to Bangalore is approx 5 hours max drive.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote