Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 30th October 2009, 08:03   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Thanks Robinmahanta & Johy

Thanks for that wonderful, long and detailed post @ robinmahanta. I love the way you gave us detailed info on road conditions - such info is invaluable when one is planning a road trip. Any updates you can give us will be welcome.

Yes, the PM is on the way with our mobile nos. etc. and we would love to meet up with as many TBHPians as possible. Though as of now, Guwahati is in the same league as Kolkata etc. where we avoid major cities by driving around them.

Have a good trip to Kaziranga, looking forward to your travelogue.

@ Johy - Please do post the information. It will be useful to ADC, Milecruncher (who plans a trip later this year) and us. We might choose to stop at Jalpaiguri on our way back from Shillong.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 11:14   #47
Senior - BHPian

Default Siuri booked thanks to AK Roy!

I got a PM from AK Roy (Abhi) who troubled his father-in-law for the information. Sorry about that Abhii and thanks a lot.

Abhi informs me that Sharada Lodge is the best in town and has decent food too. Their contact numbers are 03462-257111 and the mobile no. of Mr. Rrabir Chowdary is 09434375020. I spoke to Mr. Chowdary who seems to be a thorough gentleman and booked 2 rooms for the night of 21.12.2009!!

There are two more numbers - 03462 - 254578 and 09434107469 belonging to Mr. Yuvraj (or is it a different place called Yuvraj?).

With this - all transit points en-route for the outward journey are now booked. For the return journey, only Siliguri is booked. We can book the others only after we have confirmation of where people are catching their flights from as the N/H might have to be shifted from Kharagpur to Kolkata and consequently from Rajahmundry to Visakhapatnam. Wake up call for Mrs. Downsouth and HRH-RR.

One more tentative and higly possible is added to the list today - Shiva (cyberdoctorind) of Hyderabad called me today saying he would like to join and take his Palio 1.9D along. Welcome aboard Shiva, hope you are following this thread.

Cheers,
Old 30th October 2009, 11:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post

Wake up call for Mrs. Downsouth and HRH-RR.
Got to catch RR online on Gtalk last night.

He said that he will be joining us at Shillong by reaching Guwahati by Air on 30th.
Quote:
Rajesh: i will join the gang at shillong for new yr's. as i see i will reach guwahati on 30th by air.
i will come on 30th ,31st and 1st ,then take flight from calcutta to chennai
pulsar56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 11:37   #49
Senior - BHPian

Default HRH-RR's return plans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Got to catch RR online on Gtalk last night.

He said that he will be joining us at Shillong by reaching Guwahati by Air on 30th.
Thanks for the update Nazim.

This means 4 rooms in Shillong.

What time is his flight - maybe we can pick him up at the airport - or meet him in Guwahati town (Ginger?) where we can also rendevouz other TBHPians from that area.

When you do catch HRH-RR on-line please ask him about his plans for return. We can go into CCU to drop Mrs. Downsouth and him in time for the first flights out on 3rd morning and then hit the road to Vizag. That way, even we garib daiiver logaan can claim to have been to Guwahati and Kolkata airports!

Cheers,
Old 30th October 2009, 14:34   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What time is his flight - maybe we can pick him up at the airport - or meet him in Guwahati town (Ginger?) where we can also rendevouz other TBHPians from that area.

When you do catch HRH-RR on-line please ask him about his plans for return. We can go into CCU to drop Mrs. Downsouth and him in time for the first flights out on 3rd morning and then hit the road to Vizag. That way, even we garib daiiver logaan can claim to have been to Guwahati and Kolkata airports!

Cheers,
As far as I know, he hasn't booked the tickets yet. Will try to catch him online again tonight and confirm!

The other tentative friend of mine has now officially dropped off from the trip!
pulsar56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 16:31   #51
Senior - BHPian

For me, Food of Sharada is very good. I personally had it once.

Quote:
There are two more numbers - 03462 - 254578 and 09434107469 belonging to Mr. Yuvraj (or is it a different place called Yuvraj?).
It is another hotel "Yuvraj Hotel"

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 01:01   #52
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Milecruncher (who plans a trip later this year)
MC, around when are you planning this tour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
I would recommend the Ginger Guwahati for your accommodation as its just a few kilometers from the highway and you don't have to face any traffic (you'll barely enter Guwahati, if you stay at Ginger)

Great info RM, yours and Sutripta's will give some definite good info regarding the actual position now.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 01:44   #53
Senior - BHPian

Default Slight change of plans in return

Just got a mail from HRH-RR. He wishes to catch a flight out of CCU on 3rd. So I guess on 2nd we will drive from Siliguri to CCU and night halt there. I think this will suit Mrs. Downsouth too.

Please give us some suggestions for decent, clean accomodation that does not cost a bomb near the airport in Kolkata.

Due to this change, the next night halt will be Visakhapatnam. (Preferably on the highway - without getting into the mess that is VTZ roads).

Cheers,
Old 31st October 2009, 06:58   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
MC, around when are you planning this tour?
Inspired by your North Sikkim Travelogue, I intend to do North Sikkim and Tawang together. Initially I had thought of Jan End - Feb begining, but will know for sure closer to the date. There is also a talk of Lahaul - Spiti trip being planned sometime early April, so will need to space out both of them.

Lets see how it goes.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 08:32   #55
Senior - BHPian

Default N.Sikkim & Bhutan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Inspired by your North Sikkim Travelogue, I intend to do North Sikkim and Tawang together. Initially I had thought of Jan End - Feb begining, but will know for sure closer to the date. There is also a talk of Lahaul - Spiti trip being planned sometime early April, so will need to space out both of them.

Lets see how it goes.

Cheers
Hey MC, North Sikkim & Tawang together - do you plan to cut through Bhutan (read somewhere that doing that is difficult as one cannot enter Bhutan in one place and leave Bhutan at another). Doing N. Sikkim and Tawang together by driving around Bhutan might take too long.

Cheers,
Old 31st October 2009, 08:50   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey MC, North Sikkim & Tawang together - do you plan to cut through Bhutan (read somewhere that doing that is difficult as one cannot enter Bhutan in one place and leave Bhutan at another). Doing N. Sikkim and Tawang together by driving around Bhutan might take too long.

Cheers,
You can enter/exit Bhutan at Phuntsoling, Gelephu and Samdrup Jhonkar. Your permit will state which exit point you will take.

Coming from Sikkhim, one will ideally take the Phuntsoling entry point (near Jaldapara) and exit at Samdrup Jhonkar which is just 100 kms short of Guwahati. To go to Tawang, you do not even have to touch Guwahati, you can go directly to Tezpur from Samdrup via Rangiya and Baihata Chariali on the NH52 highway.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 14:28   #57
Senior - BHPian

Default Of Bhutan and update on travellers

Thanks HVK for that clarification, I guess the author of the comment I referred to did not specify a different exit point when applying for his permit hence the insistence by authorities in Bhutan that he go back the way he came.

I got a call from Downsouth this morning to say that after much soul-searching, introspection and calculating the costs involved (a last of the last item!), Mrs. Downsouth decided that it was not fair that Downsouth have all the fun, so she is joining her husband for the drive (am sure that keeping a close eye on him while he traverses a large section of the country has something to do with it). Welcome aboard Mrs. Downsouth - now we will know what food to order and the trip promises to become one of culinary discovery too. Perhaps the first tentative step to yours truly becoming a gourmet from that glutton that I now am.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 31st October 2009 at 14:30.
Old 31st October 2009, 16:13   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers,

As already stated by HVK, following is the route one needs to take

Name:  BhutanMap.gif
Views: 4801
Size:  21.0 KB

Since this would be a long trip, I would be try to do the HYD - KGP section in one go and do the first night halt there (Got relatives).
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 10:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lol in keeping with the name - I saw it seven times! With different company each time. IIRC that movie was released in 1982, the year I finished my 12th.

I have tried to raise Hotel Central Plaza, Hill cart road on the net but met with no success. If you can give me their web-link or other contact details that will enable me to do the booking, I would be grateful as I wish to finish hotel bookings ASAP.
Lol. I underestimated your age.
Just write Hotel Central Plaza Siliguri in the google window and you get google maps with all the details.
Here it is for you taken from google. Don't know if it's accurate. The WBTDC hotel next door is equally good and cheaper. Mitch, my American biker friend, stayed there.
H / NO-765, Pradhan Nagar, Hill Cart Road, Siliguri, Darjeeling, West Bengal
00353 - 2516119‎
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 19:13   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Lol. I underestimated your age.
Just write Hotel Central Plaza Siliguri in the google window and you get google maps with all the details.
Here it is for you taken from google. Don't know if it's accurate. The WBTDC hotel next door is equally good and cheaper. Mitch, my American biker friend, stayed there.
H / NO-765, Pradhan Nagar, Hill Cart Road, Siliguri, Darjeeling, West Bengal
00353 - 2516119‎
Thanks Sudipto for the compliment (at my age, any comment implying youth is one!).

I did manage to track down the Hotel Central Plaza and have also made bookings via telephone. Yes, those details are correct.

Cheers,