Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 3rd June 2011, 08:57   #16
BHPian

Default Re: bangalore to karaikal - Route advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
One can always continue onto Nagapattinam on NH67 from Thanjavur, then go to Karaikal. Alternatively go to Kumbakonam from Thanjavur and then take SH to Karaikal. The easiest way to find this road is to ask directons for Thirunageswaram Ragu temple, the temple is a small detour pn the road to Karaikal.
Its better to take B'lore-Trichy-Karaikal route. Roads are good mostly.

Tanjore-Nagapattinam NH67 road is average. it has some big potholes in the Tanjore-Thiruvarur stretch. You have to be very cautious in this stretch.

Check for other roads from Tanjore to Karaikkal. (via Kumbakonam or via Valangaiman)
nfsfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 09:43   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
One can always continue onto Nagapattinam on NH67 from Thanjavur, then go to Karaikal. Alternatively go to Kumbakonam from Thanjavur and then take SH to Karaikal. The easiest way to find this road is to ask directons for Thirunageswaram Ragu temple, the temple is a small detour pn the road to Karaikal.

There is no point going via T.V.malai the road conditions are bad not only between Krishnagiri - T.V.malai it is bad between Panrutti and Chidambaram as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Its better to take B'lore-Trichy-Karaikal route. Roads are good mostly.

Tanjore-Nagapattinam NH67 road is average. it has some big potholes in the Tanjore-Thiruvarur stretch. You have to be very cautious in this stretch.

Check for other roads from Tanjore to Karaikkal. (via Kumbakonam or via Valangaiman)
I was not sure of the NH67 condition beyond Tanjore to Nagapattanam. Hence did not suggest. More over he planning to start at night. (More so the reason to take Salem route rather than TV Malai).
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 16:02   #18
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

In case you are considering Bangalore-Pondicherry-Karaikal:

From my experience of Bangalore-Pondicherry via Tiruvannamalai few months ago, I would suggest avoiding Krishnagiri-Tiruvannamalai stretch since the road is bad at several places and very good in few small stretches so very unpredictable and potholes are distributed randomly !
Also, the roads are very bad when nearing most of the towns on this route like Gingee, etc all the way upto Tindivanam. After that road is excellent but road widening work is still in progress in some stretches upto Pondicherry.

So I would suggest not taking this route to go to Karaikal and instead taking the Trichy Route which should be better as folks here are saying.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 16:23   #19
Ice
BHPian

Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Salem - Namakkal - Musiri - Trichy - Thanjavur - Papanasam - Karaikal would be my recommendation.
Ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 10:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Bangalore to Karaikal : Route Queries

My suggestion would be take, Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy-Kallanai-Kumbakonam-Karaikal.

Trichy-Musiri is half rough, half smooth kinda mix. No deep potholes. Did this part just day before, was able to maintain 60-70 at 730-830pm. If you are crossing in the middle of the night, shouldnt be a problem as youll encounter minimal traffic.

Kumbakonam-Karaikal via Thirunageswaram, Thirunallar was being relaid when I travelled last October. Was rough at places, but nowhere near lunar surfaces of Thiruvannamalai NH66. The route doesnt see much traffic, hardly encountered 10-15 vehicles the entire 60 km stretch (this was at 130-3pm in the afternoon). This stretch used to be terrible a decade back, so any updates older than mine will tell you horror stories :P
narayans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 18:41   #21
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
My suggestion would be take, Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy-Kallanai-Kumbakonam-Karaikal.
Ditto from me too. I drove on this route up to Kumbakonam in February this year. I enjoyed driving Trichy-Kallanai-Kumbakonam stretch in the night and reached Kumbakonam in the early morning at 2:30 am. The roads were nice, but twisty.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 06:30   #22
BHPian

Hey Veyron - Trust you would have had a nice trip. Please update on the roads when you come back.
jkrishnakj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 22:25   #23
BHPian

Wow! wow! Didn't expect so many suggestions!! Way to go Team-BHP!!

Thanks a ton to all.

As advised by Ampere and others I avoided the Tiruvannamalai route completely.

This is the route I took:

Onward:

Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Salem - Namakkal - Trichy - Lalgudi - Kumbakonam - Tirunageswaram - Karaikal.

The roads were too good until Namakkal, good until trichy, ok until Kumbakonam, Ok again until Tirunageswaram, bad until Karaikal.

Return:

I should have just taken the same route back or atleast gone with any of the routes suggested by you guys. But chose to listen to the wrong guy and took this route:

Karaikal - Chidambaram - Bhuvanagiri - Virudhachalam - Salem - Krishnagiri - bangalore

Roads were ok until bhuvanagiri, livable until Virudhachalam, and 'today-is-not-my-day' kind until Salem. Salem to bangalore was as usual a breeze.

The 140 odd kms from Virudhaachalam to Salem made me see my forefathers . It was one pothole after the other throughout the stretch. And my humble 800 sent every jerk straight to my back.

Horrible to say the least. I am still not able to walk straight.

Anyway, would like to thank Ampere and all BHPians immensely for you advice.
veyron_head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 22:36   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
Return:

I should have just taken the same route back or atleast gone with any of the routes suggested by you guys. But chose to listen to the wrong guy and took this route:

Karaikal - Chidambaram - Bhuvanagiri - Virudhachalam - Salem - Krishnagiri - bangalore

Roads were ok until bhuvanagiri, livable until Virudhachalam, and 'today-is-not-my-day' kind until Salem. Salem to bangalore was as usual a breeze.

The 140 odd kms from Virudhaachalam to Salem made me see my forefathers . It was one pothole after the other throughout the stretch. And my humble 800 sent every jerk straight to my back.

Horrible to say the least. I am still not able to walk straight.

Anyway, would like to thank Ampere and all BHPians immensely for you advice.
If you had taken that, you might have as well, taken Vridhachalam-Panruti-Thirukoilur-Tiruvannamalai-Krishnagiri-Bangalore. You would have seen lesser craters!

Today one of the updates mentioned Krishnagiri-TVMalai is 20-40 km real bad and with the rest being rough patches just about manageable. (But surely not for night drives).

But good to hear you completed your travel safely. Both NH68 at NH66 at best can be avoided of possible.

Check state of the two NH:

NH68:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...m-route-5.html

NH66:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...namalai-8.html

Last edited by ampere : 6th June 2011 at 22:39.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 23:01   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you had taken that, you might have as well, taken Vridhachalam-Panruti-Thirukoilur-Tiruvannamalai-Krishnagiri-Bangalore. You would have seen lesser craters!

Today one of the updates mentioned Krishnagiri-TVMalai is 20-40 km real bad and with the rest being rough patches just about manageable. (But surely not for night drives).

But good to hear you completed your travel safely. Both NH68 at NH66 at best can be avoided of possible.

Check state of the two NH:

NH68:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...m-route-5.html

NH66:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...namalai-8.html
My bad! Didn't realize the Virudhachalam route is worse than the Tiruvannamalai one. I hadn't heard of a route to salem via Virudhachalam and I was told its the shortest. So, i just wanted to try this route.

But, it is in fact very short in terms of distance, I guess approximately about 420 kms. But it took me a good 11 hours and the mileage was the least I have ever got on my car.
veyron_head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 11:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Trichy - Lalgudi - Kumbakonam - Tirunageswaram - Karaikal
You drove straight through at Tollgate eh ? Its an ok-ish stretch, the Kallanai or NH67 are in much better condition. There was a bridge work going on in Lalgudi if I remember, is it completed.

Thirunageswaram-Karaikal has already gone bad ? It was reasonably patched when I did last October. Ofcourse it still had potholes, but nothing serious. I negotiated the 58km in 1.5 hrs on an i10.

Quote:
Vridhachalam-Panruti-Thirukoilur-Tiruvannamalai-Krishnagiri-Bangalore
From polopm's update in Madras-Kumbakonam thread, it seems a better option to do Vriddachalam-Ulundurpet-Thirukkovilur-Thiruvannamalai. But then Thiruvannamalai-Krishnagiri isnt an advisable route at all.
Old 4th July 2011, 20:32   #27
BHPian

Slightly
Believe Karaikal also has got a port. Why NHAI has not taken up to connect Karaikal with major cities in TN/PND under the Port connectivity project?
I think this port involves more on transporting Coal & thermal power plant products from BHEL, Trichy. Hence, needless to say, this requires connectivity to atleast Trichy & Neyveli(NLC).

Last edited by ramanan.skr : 4th July 2011 at 20:36.
ramanan.skr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 20:36   #28
Team-BHP Support

What is the utilization of the port? Any major things exported? (I have no idea).
That should decide the requirement of good roads.
Old 5th July 2011, 10:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
Slightly
Believe Karaikal also has got a port. Why NHAI has not taken up to connect Karaikal with major cities in TN/PND under the Port connectivity project?
Chemical companies on ECR dont use this port ? Also NH67 does connect to Nagapattinam (which is 10 kms south of the Karaikal port). WHether or not its in good condition is a different question alltogether :P
Old 5th July 2011, 10:47   #30
Team-BHP Support

NH67 is being transformed into prime condition.

Trichy-Tanjore: Already 4L
Karur-Trichy: Work in progress for 4L
CBE-Karur : Very very good and wide 2L