Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2016, 11:38   #46
BHPian
 
AutoInt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 119
Thanked: 72 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Chidamabaram - Sirkazhi - Thirukadaiyur - Karaikal - roads are good except for a narrow stretch near the turn off near poompuhar. I returned to Madras only about 10 days back in this road.
Thank you Prowler for the update. This helps.

The only unknown part is between Virudachalam and Chidambaram. I hope this would be decent road.
AutoInt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 18:25   #47
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 886
Thanked: 637 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoInt View Post
Thank you Prowler for the update. This helps.

The only unknown part is between Virudachalam and Chidambaram. I hope this would be decent road.
From Salem, if you are reaching Virudachalam via Ulundurpet, then you are better off with good roads at the cost of additional kms. Don't exit at V.Koot Road (comes in few kms after Thalaivasal) to reach Virudachalam as the roads are absolutely horrible.

Virudachalam to Chidambaram is also not great but should be manageable, but you don't have other choice though.

-Ravi
ravib is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 19:34   #48
BHPian
 
AutoInt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 119
Thanked: 72 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
From Salem, if you are reaching Virudachalam via Ulundurpet, then you are better off with good roads at the cost of additional kms. Don't exit at V.Koot Road (comes in few kms after Thalaivasal) to reach Virudachalam as the roads are absolutely horrible.

Virudachalam to Chidambaram is also not great but should be manageable, but you don't have other choice though.

-Ravi
Thank you Ravi. Infact, I was planning to exit to V.koot road after Thalaivasal to reach Virudachalam. Your input is really helpful. Yes it does add 30 kms additional. I will choose this option.

I have traveled between Ulundurpet and Salem when I returned from Chennai to my home town near Namakkal in Dec 2015. Anything I need to be aware on the route between Ulundurpet and Virudachalam?
AutoInt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 22:33   #49
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 886
Thanked: 637 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoInt View Post
Thank you Ravi. Infact, I was planning to exit to V.koot road after Thalaivasal to reach Virudachalam. Your input is really helpful. Yes it does add 30 kms additional. I will choose this option.

I have traveled between Ulundurpet and Salem when I returned from Chennai to my home town near Namakkal in Dec 2015. Anything I need to be aware on the route between Ulundurpet and Virudachalam?
Ulundurpet to Virudachalam is a short distance and a normal 2L road, so nothing specific to mention. Watchout for the directions inside Vridhachalam town, to exit and join the chidambaram road. People are very helpful so enquire if in doubt.

BTW, the only decent restaurant/rest room break between Salem to Ulundurpet is Sri Rama hotel which comes after Attur, just in case if you are not aware and need it. I did see another hotel/restaurant just before exiting to Ulundurpet town from highways but not sure how the food is.

Also, please note that the entire stretch between Salem to Ulundurpet is a mix of alternative 4L and 2L roads and not a complete 4L. So watchout for signages when the road converts and narrows down to 2L. Its easy to miss/notice in high speeds.

Drive safe

-Ravi
ravib is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 08:07   #50
BHPian
 
AutoInt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 119
Thanked: 72 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Ulundurpet to Virudachalam is a short distance and a normal 2L road, so nothing specific to mention. Watchout for the directions inside Vridhachalam town, to exit and join the chidambaram road. People are very helpful so enquire if in doubt.
Thank you Ravi for the details. I see it is about 25 km from google. Good to hear people will be helpful .

Quote:
BTW, the only decent restaurant/rest room break between Salem to Ulundurpet is Sri Rama hotel which comes after Attur, just in case if you are not aware and need it. I did see another hotel/restaurant just before exiting to Ulundurpet town from highways but not sure how the food is.
I will keep this in mind, depending on start time from Bangalore, will have to plan the breaks. Current plan is to start at 06:00 AM from Bangalore.

Any suggestions for lunch breaks in Virudachalam?

Quote:
Also, please note that the entire stretch between Salem to Ulundurpet is a mix of alternative 4L and 2L roads and not a complete 4L. So watchout for signages when the road converts and narrows down to 2L. Its easy to miss/notice in high speeds.

Drive safe

-Ravi
As I mentioned in my earlier post. I traveled once between Ulundurpet and Salem. I have experienced this 4L to 2L and some times without much of warning. Thank you for the warning / reminder.

Thank you Ravi again.
AutoInt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 12:53   #51
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 886
Thanked: 637 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoInt View Post

I will keep this in mind, depending on start time from Bangalore, will have to plan the breaks. Current plan is to start at 06:00 AM from Bangalore.

Any suggestions for lunch breaks in Virudachalam?


Thank you Ravi again.
I won't recommend any good restaurants at Virudachalam for lunch. In fact, you can reach chidambaram for little late lunch, if you leave little early by 5.30 am from Bangalore. You can stop over around 8 am in Thoppur A2B for Breakfast. Assuming if you leave Thoppur A2B at 9 am after an hour break, you can reach Sri Rama after Attur around 11ish for a short tea/restroom break and then reach Chidambaram by 1.30 or 2 pm for lunch.

Don't see a reason or need to stop at Virudhachalam for lunch.

-Ravi
ravib is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 15:04   #52
BHPian
 
AutoInt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 119
Thanked: 72 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
I won't recommend any good restaurants at Virudachalam for lunch. In fact, you can reach chidambaram for little late lunch, if you leave little early by 5.30 am from Bangalore. You can stop over around 8 am in Thoppur A2B for Breakfast. Assuming if you leave Thoppur A2B at 9 am after an hour break, you can reach Sri Rama after Attur around 11ish for a short tea/restroom break and then reach Chidambaram by 1.30 or 2 pm for lunch.

Don't see a reason or need to stop at Virudachalam for lunch.

-Ravi
Thank you once again Ravi for your response and suggestion. I will take this into account depending on my start time. Hopefully I will be able to start at 05:30 AM.

Thanks a lot and will update once I complete the trip.
AutoInt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 08:37   #53
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,349
Thanked: 8,166 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Karaikal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoInt View Post
Thank you once again Ravi for your response and suggestion. I will take this into account depending on my start time. Hopefully I will be able to start at 05:30 AM.
By a 5:30 start, I am sure you can make it to Salem by 8. Break at Saravana Bhavan (Aasai Dosai) right on the next signal after GRT Grand Estancia.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2016, 18:31   #54
BHPian
 
AutoInt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 119
Thanked: 72 Times
Default

Thank Ampere. My trip did not happen as planned today due to some unforeseen situation.
I will plan it in a months time.
AutoInt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 17:17   #55
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 56
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Karaikal : Route Queries

Am planning to travel to Thirunallar from Bangalore this weekend. Anything I should be aware of? Is a Saturday-Sunday trip doable? Going on Saturday and coming back just the next day?

TIA!!!
sk7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 17:40   #56
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,349
Thanked: 8,166 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Karaikal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk7671 View Post
Am planning to travel to Thirunallar from Bangalore this weekend. Anything I should be aware of? Is a Saturday-Sunday trip doable? Going on Saturday and coming back just the next day?
Going on a saturday and coming back on Sunday would be hectic. Especially because you do a lot of 2-lane roads.

Best option would be :

Bangalore-Salem-Ulundurpet-Vridhchalam-Jayam Kondam-TPalur-Kumbakonam-Thirunallar.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 18:41   #57
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 886
Thanked: 637 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Karaikal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk7671 View Post
Am planning to travel to Thirunallar from Bangalore this weekend. Anything I should be aware of? Is a Saturday-Sunday trip doable? Going on Saturday and coming back just the next day?

TIA!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Going on a saturday and coming back on Sunday would be hectic. Especially because you do a lot of 2-lane roads.

Best option would be :

Bangalore-Salem-Ulundurpet-Vridhchalam-Jayam Kondam-TPalur-Kumbakonam-Thirunallar.
+1 to what Ampere said. Though it is practically doable if you are just going only to Thirunallar sanieeswaran temple, but going to be super hectic and very tiring.

Please follow this route and not the default google maps route. The default route takes you through bad roads.

https://goo.gl/maps/D84NC2t8ekp

Have a safe trip and good darshan.

-Ravi
ravib is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 19:21   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras,Modena
Posts: 1,036
Thanked: 657 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Karaikal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Please follow this route and not the default google maps route. The default route takes you through bad roads.
If you are talking about the Thalaivasal-Veppur-Vriddachalam road. The roads' been resurfaced recently. h14 has done the Veppur-Thalaivasal section here. I got a separate update that the Veppur-Vriddacahalm section has been resurfaced as well, and now takes only 15 min to do Veppur-Vriddachalam.

Its a surprise for me too, it took us 1:15 to complete Veppur-Vriddachalam last August for that 20 odd km (that's how bad it was).
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 19:39   #59
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,349
Thanked: 8,166 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Karaikal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Its a surprise for me too, it took us 1:15 to complete Veppur-Vriddachalam last August for that 20 odd km (that's how bad it was).
This indeed good news. Saves a lot of hassle.

The other thing which I felt extremely concerned about Salem-Ulundurpet is the fact that at most bypasses are 2-lane. And the 4-lane roads suddenly converge to a 2-lane. So if one is heading towards Ulundurpet, 2-lanes of traffic converges to one, the driver needs to be careful. The return side usually extends as the 2-lane and hence the flows seems to be maintained.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd November 2016 at 23:51.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 22:16   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 886
Thanked: 637 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Karaikal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This indeed good news. Saves a lot of hassle.

The other thing which I felt extremely concerned about Salem-Ulundurpet is the fact that at most bypasses are 2-lane. And the 4-lane roads suddenly converge to a 2-lane. So if one is heading towards Ulundurpet, 2-lanes of traffic converges to one, the driver needs to be careful. The return side usually extends as the 2-lane and hence the flows seems to be maintained.
+1
I need to stand corrected. Got double confirmed that V.Koot road via Veppur towards Vridhachalam is now in good condition. This will save significant amount of time. I was told they are planning for some toll booth, but not very sure.

@sk7671, please use the above route to reach upto Kumbakonam and then use the route which i mentioned.

-Ravi
ravib is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries madan80 Route / Travel Queries 2767 18th August 2017 12:33
11 States - 2910 Kms - 4 Days - Karaikal to Punjab! the_doctor Travelogues 24 24th May 2016 18:31
A LongHorn™ Travelogue - Weekend getaway to Pondicherry, Karaikal and Velankanni. longhorn Travelogues 37 16th July 2010 14:23
Bangalore-Karaikal-Velankani-Bangalore viper316 Travelogues 4 10th January 2008 16:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:02.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks