Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 4th November 2009, 21:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Hyderabad - Delhi Section

Avi, there are 3 route options for travelling between HYD - DEL

Option 1 : The N-S Link

This follows the Hyd - NGP - Pench - Seoni - Lakhnadon - Sagar - Lalitpur - Jhansi - Gwalior - Agra - Del.
Route details and conditions are available on my travelogue
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...abad-trip.html (Delhi - Hyderabad Trip)
I understand that road conditions haven't changed much on this route since Sep 2008.

But you can visit Pench WLS, Orrcha (18 Km from Jhansi) and Khajuraho (180 Kms from Jhansi), Panna WLS (55 Kms from Khajuraho) on this route.
Accomodation between Nagpur and Jhansi are sparse and very basic.
Approx Kms : 1600

Option 2 : Modified N-S Link

This follows the Hyd - NGP - Betul - Itarsi - Hoshangabad - Bhopal - Biora - Guna - Shivpuri - Gwalior - Agra - Delhi
I took this road while travelling To Ladakh. Details as per http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...4-km-saga.html
Road conditions better than Option 1.
Approx Kms : 1800

Option 3: GQ Route

This follows the Hyd - Pune - Mumbai - Udaipur - Jaipur - Delhi route.
There are umpteen number of travelogues on the Mumbai - Delhi section.
Road Condition is the best on this route.
Approx Kms: 2200 ( Hyd - Mumbai - 700 + Mumbai - Del - 1500)
One point to note is that the entire section is toll road and you should factor Re 1/Km after Pune.

Suggestion: Having travelled on all 3 options in a little more than a year, I would suggest that you take Option 3. Option 2 even though lucrative, might not be so in a car. Average speed on #3 can be 60kmph between Hyd - Pune and atleast 70 uptill Delhi. Whereas Option 2 you would be lucky to do 50kmph without wrecking your car as it has many bad road patches.

If you do option 2, you need to start around 2 am from Hyd . You'll hit Nagpur around 11 am. Crossing NGP can take anything between 30-45 mins after which you may expect to reach Bhopal in about 8 Hours. After NGP, the only decent place to stay is Bhimbetka were we stayed. Even though Hoshangabad has a few hotel, none of them will take responsibility of your vehicle and don't be surprised if you see your car without wheels in the morning ( Car parts theft is a major problem in MP). From Bhopal to Delhi will be a 15 hour run if not more. No Dhabas between Nagpur and Bhopal. After Bhopal, only decent place for food will be the MPTDC highway treat at Biora.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 4th November 2009 at 22:02.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 22:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Just to give you one more speed comparison, PramodS left Nagpur early morning and reached Hodal (Haryana), just 80 kms short of Delhi, in 1 day. He left Nagpur at 3 am I think, crossed Bhopal by 10-11, Gwalior by 5 and was in Hodal by 9 pm. He was driving a Scorpio to Leh, and the roads were in a better condition than when MileCruncher went this September.

The Bombay route suggested by MileCruncher is excellent, great choice for fast drivers and you can do the drive in 2 days, assuming you stop over at Vapi (north of Bombay) on Day 1 and make it to Delhi late in the night on Day 2. If you have no idea of staying in Delhi, maybe Behror (RJ-HR border) is a better choice for the night's stay before Delhi.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 23:41   #18
Team-BHP Support

Thanks HVK and Ani. Please note our car will also have a couple of kids on board so there will be no scope for too fast driving. My plan is to keep a constant 100kmph-120kmph wherever it's possible and cover as much ground based on those speeds.

Ani, Option 1 seems to be the shortest but is that road really terrible?

How was your experience on Option 2? When did you start from Hyd and reached which point on Day 1 and when you reached Delhi on Day 2?

Option 3, sounds really exciting to me personally but i have to take a consensus with my cousin as he may not agree on such a long detour even if it means good roads.

Also, our first pit stop in North would be Meerut and not Delhi. Delhi is on way back from Himachal.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 00:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

Wow, another big trip from Hyderabad. Seems the travel bug has bitten the Hydeez with a vengance.

Wishing your trip all the best. Having read a few travelogues herem I too think that it is best that you drive via Mumbai. I do not think you can maintain the average speeds of 100 to 120 that you are hoping for, if travelling on the N - S links. I would particularly recommend the Mumbai route if you have kids in the car. The smooter surface makes for a more comfortable journey esp. for kids who tend to be fidgety in cars.

Since you are two drivers, push for Mumbai in one day and Meerut in two days from Mumbai.

You can use maps.mapmyindia for chalking out the roads and noting down distances (the timings will be off). If you chart out the same route on maps.google.c you get more accurate driving times. Remember that you have to give 'via' points based on the feedback you get on road conditions or else the software will give you weird routes. Incidentally neither MMI nor Google recognise GQ as being faster than other NH/SH.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 5th November 2009 at 00:09.
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 07:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks HVK and Ani. Please note our car will also have a couple of kids on board so there will be no scope for too fast driving. My plan is to keep a constant 100kmph-120kmph wherever it's possible and cover as much ground based on those speeds.

Ani, Option 1 seems to be the shortest but is that road really terrible?
Avi, please check out the pictures provided on the below link. I cannot stress enough, how bad the road is. I did 320 Kms in 16 hours and bustyed my suspension and brake pads. On this stretch, forget 100-120, you would be lucky if you are able to touch 60kmph continuously

Quote:
How was your experience on Option 2? When did you start from Hyd and reached which point on Day 1 and when you reached Delhi on Day 2?
Road between Hyd - Nagpur is ok. Fast stretches in patches upto Nagpur. Nagpur Betul ( around 180-200) is good in general. Betul - Bhopal is Ghat section and not so good. On the Bolero I was able to glide over potholes thereby maintaining and avg 50kmph. On your Viva, you might have to be slower. Check out the opening post of my Leh travelogue. I started at 11pm on 10th September, first night halt at 12.30 pm on 12th Sep. Reached Delhi at 0230Hrs on 13th September. Total Journey time 51 Hours. Total driving time 37 Hours.

Quote:
Option 3, sounds really exciting to me personally but i have to take a consensus with my cousin as he may not agree on such a long detour even if it means good roads.

Also, our first pit stop in North would be Meerut and not Delhi. Delhi is on way back from Himachal.
With kids I think this is going to be the best route. You can start early morning arnd 2-3am from Hyd. Aim Ghodbunder by 2 pm and push on till atleast Surat for night halt. The GQ has excellent accomodations along the highway.

Again let me emphasise," If you love your car, don't even think about Option - 1"
Old 5th November 2009, 09:57   #21
BHPian

Option 2: Nagpur to Betul as mentioned is good, while negotiating Bhopal don't take the inner SH route to meet NH 3, take the NH 12 which will meet the NH 3, NH 12 from Bhopal till NH3 was quite good, overall I would say option 2 is better than option 3, I was traveling with my 8 year old son, but he is accustomed to long drive with me, he uses Scorpio last seat as his bed[captain config 2+2+3], if you drive with some care, you would be able to get better average speed, but mileage may differ from car to car and person to person.

@HVKumar: you are right about the timing sir.

-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 5th November 2009 at 09:59.
pramods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 10:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

@pramods: As mobike will be using a Accent Viva, I'm not sure he will be able to maintain the speeds that an SUV can do. But with a little careful driving he wouldn't atleast wreck his car.
Old 5th November 2009, 15:17   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Wow, another big trip from Hyderabad. Seems the travel bug has bitten the Hydeez with a vengance.

Wishing your trip all the best.
Thanks Ravvs. Wish you folks also a great time. I am just shy of convincing my wife to take such a long leave which she cannot afford

Quote:
I do not think you can maintain the average speeds of 100 to 120 that you are hoping for,
I meant driving maximum of 120kmph. How can I even think of averaging these speeds ( Please read my signature).

I would be darn lucky if i can average 60kms-65kms

Quote:
You can use maps.mapmyindia for chalking out the roads and noting down distances (the timings will be off). If you chart out the same route on maps.google.c you get more accurate driving times. Remember that you have to give 'via' points based on the feedback you get on road conditions or else the software will give you weird routes. Incidentally neither MMI nor Google recognise GQ as being faster than other NH/SH.
Thanks for this tip. Will dig out routes at both sites and compare and see the distance and time to travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Avi, please check out the pictures provided on the below link. I cannot stress enough, how bad the road is. I did 320 Kms in 16 hours and bustyed my suspension and brake pads. On this stretch, forget 100-120, you would be lucky if you are able to touch 60kmph continuously
Thank you. Option 1 goes out of the window

Quote:
Road between Hyd - Nagpur is ok. Fast stretches in patches upto Nagpur. Nagpur Betul ( around 180-200) is good in general. Betul - Bhopal is Ghat section and not so good. On the Bolero I was able to glide over potholes thereby maintaining and avg 50kmph. On your Viva, you might have to be slower. Check out the opening post of my Leh travelogue. I started at 11pm on 10th September, first night halt at 12.30 pm on 12th Sep. Reached Delhi at 0230Hrs on 13th September. Total Journey time 51 Hours. Total driving time 37 Hours
Oh boy! thats a lot of driving

Quote:
With kids I think this is going to be the best route. You can start early morning arnd 2-3am from Hyd. Aim Ghodbunder by 2 pm and push on till atleast Surat for night halt. The GQ has excellent accomodations along the highway.

Again let me emphasise," If you love your car, don't even think about Option - 1"
I am still thinking of Option 3. But, the thought of covering 2200kms to just reach Delhi is alarming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Option 2: Nagpur to Betul as mentioned is good, while negotiating Bhopal don't take the inner SH route to meet NH 3, take the NH 12 which will meet the NH 3, NH 12 from Bhopal till NH3 was quite good, overall I would say option 2 is better than option 3, I was traveling with my 8 year old son, but he is accustomed to long drive with me, he uses Scorpio last seat as his bed[captain config 2+2+3], if you drive with some care, you would be able to get better average speed, but mileage may differ from car to car and person to person.

@HVKumar: you are right about the timing sir.

-Pramod
Pramod. Thanks for the encouragement. Even i am thinking of Option 2. Let me think some more

Quote:
@pramods: As mobike will be using a Accent Viva, I'm not sure he will be able to maintain the speeds that an SUV can do. But with a little careful driving he wouldn't atleast wreck his car.
For a change i have decided to be a little smart and not take my car. It'll be my cousin's NHC

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th November 2009 at 15:19.
Old 5th November 2009, 15:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

For a change i have decided to be a little smart and not take my car. It'll be my cousin's NHC
Avi, I would be extra careful with NHC and try to bust the suspension. Check out whether you have workshops on the way between Nagpur - Gwalior.
Old 5th November 2009, 16:35   #25
BHPian

Wow.. that will be nice trip,

last year we did Blr - uttaranchal -Blr by road. places visited, Naini, Muktheswar, Binsar, Choukori, Munsiyari & Auli. You wil find bit of snow at Auli & Munsiyari.
Choukori to Munsiyari & Munsiyari to Auli is very adventurous.

Anyway Himachal is also very pretty & we will be doing this trip between 23rd Dec to 6th Jan from Hyd. Yet to finalise our plans & as usual Kumar sir is helping us on route map.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 17:56   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Avi, I would be extra careful with NHC and try to bust the suspension. Check out whether you have workshops on the way between Nagpur - Gwalior.
Sure. Hope the poor NHC can take what it's in store for it. Will be extra careful and now i guess will have to sacrifice 2 days at Himachal and add them to and fro of this drive. i am sad about this fact !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
Wow.. that will be nice trip,

last year we did Blr - uttaranchal -Blr by road. places visited, Naini, Muktheswar, Binsar, Choukori, Munsiyari & Auli. You wil find bit of snow at Auli & Munsiyari.
Choukori to Munsiyari & Munsiyari to Auli is very adventurous.

Anyway Himachal is also very pretty & we will be doing this trip between 23rd Dec to 6th Jan from Hyd. Yet to finalise our plans & as usual Kumar sir is helping us on route map.
Wow, nice to know that. Did you put up any travelogue of your previous trip? Would love to check out if you have a linky?

Is 8 days enough to explore Himachal considering the reality check that i just got that you would need 6 days to drive to and fro.

I may have to either skip 1 day each at Delhi and Meerut or sacrifice 2 days of Himachal. Let me mull over this point.

Thanks to everyone for your contribution. Based on these inputs, i will soon post back a revised plan taking all you guy's valuable points.
Old 5th November 2009, 18:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am still thinking of Option 3. But, the thought of covering 2200kms to just reach Delhi is alarming.

Pramod. Thanks for the encouragement. Even i am thinking of Option 2. Let me think some more

NHC - Stick to option 3 via Mumbai. Smooth roads is definitely what the doctor recommended.

Incidentally 2200 kms on a good road will feel like 1000 km on a bad road.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 18:24   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
NHC - Stick to option 3 via Mumbai. Smooth roads is definitely what the doctor recommended.

Incidentally 2200 kms on a good road will feel like 1000 km on a bad road.

Cheers,
Yeah, only reason to choose that car over mine is it's very spacious and has a bigger boot

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th November 2009 at 18:25.
Old 5th November 2009, 18:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, only reason to choose that car over mine is it's very spacious and has a bigger boot
But fuel expenses along with repair cost will definitely mar the advantage
Old 5th November 2009, 22:50   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But fuel expenses along with repair cost will definitely mar the advantage
Now your begining to scare me.

Are you telling me that an NHC cannot do a 5K+ Kms trip without having to be repaired etc