Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 21st April 2013, 07:38   #166
BHPian

Default Re: What to see in Malaysia and Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Hey buddy i should have PMed you

Thanks for the tip. When you say i can change the currency outside. Do you mean US $ or Indian rupee? I think its anyway easier to carry $ because of its vaule
@Raj, you will loose in conversion from INR to USD and again from USD to SGD, when u have an option to convert directly to SGD why pay more.?
shivshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 10:50   #167
BHPian

Raj,
Few points
1. The exchange rate in airports are bad. It is like everything else, even tea or coffee is costly there, rt. Avoid converting at the airports.
2. Carry extra amount in USD. Unfortunately INR is not accepted everywhere easily. In Singapore and Malaysia, you can convert INR easily, but as Shiv said, the exchange rate will be bad. Good thing is to estimate local expenses and carry approx amount of SGD or MYR and have some extra USD.
3. All these exchange rates are negotiable. You can negotiate with them and get better rates. Even inside airport.
4. If possible avoid using Indian credit cards outside. The exchange rate they consider is worse than the forex dealers. There will be 2 to 3 rupees extra for each USD. And based on the card, there may be exchange markup fee also. Avoid it.

But we are not talking about crores of rupees rt? Apart from flight and hotels which are already booked you are talking about the daily expense for 4-5 days rt. It wont be in lacs or crores. The difference or savings you get from good exchange rate and worse rate is going to be very small. Say a difference of couple of hundred rupees compared to the overall cost of 50-60 thousand rupees per person for the trip. It is not worth thinking about this. Just go with any exchange guy, but do it in advance and not wait till you reach the airport.

Have a nice trip. Please share photos once you are back.
JohnyBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 08:30   #168
BHPian

Few tips for Singapore/Malaysia trips regarding forex -

1. Never exchange in Airports. You can travel to Singapore carrying just 100 SGD and rest INR.
2. Best place to convert INR --> SGD (or MYR) is Mustafa center which is open 24 Hrs, 7 days a week. Difference can be upto 2-3 INR per SGD. Mustafa earns on volumes.
3. If you cant go to Mustafa, road side exchange shops on Orchard road are quite competitive. Avoid your hotel desk as well.
4. Dont convert to USD unless you are planning Indonesia as well.

Travel safe and have fun!
ajayrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 17:27   #169
BHPian

Just to add on the currency exchange - you can get MYR in exchange of INR in Malaysia as well. rates are almost similar to Mustafa. In fact in Little India area of KL, I got a better rate for INR-MYR conversion.

Another place to get best exchange rates is Forex counter in Suntec Convention center in Singapore (near City Hall MRT).
vineet_k21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 13:08   #170
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Have some questions regarding tickets for Sentosa attractions:
The packages listed on their website has Day Play Pass, Noon Play Pass, Evening Play Pass and 2 Day Play Pass (includes 1 day at Universal Studios).
1.Do these include the Cable car ride from Mt Faber or is that extra ? What about the monorail to Vivo city ? Is that included ?
2.For the attractions and the shows in the evening one needs the Day Pass + the Evening Pass, correct ? (There is no package that includes both)
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 13:24   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Have some questions regarding tickets for Sentosa attractions:
The packages listed on their website has Day Play Pass, Noon Play Pass, Evening Play Pass and 2 Day Play Pass (includes 1 day at Universal Studios).
1.Do these include the Cable car ride from Mt Faber or is that extra ? What about the monorail to Vivo city ? Is that included ?
2.For the attractions and the shows in the evening one needs the Day Pass + the Evening Pass, correct ? (There is no package that includes both)
Hi NPV,

You can choose what you want for these passes. Cable car can be selected out of 17 options if you wish.
Monorail pass cost 3 SGD and can be purchased at Vivocity mall level 3. Monorail starts from here only. If you are coming to Singapore for more than 2 days, better buy a EzLink pass from any Train station. This pass works in Taxis, Sentosa Monorail, Buses, Trains etc. Remember to buy one each for every member.

Tip for Sentosa -
1. Not all attaraction are worth. Few might be very boring.
2. Few good one are 3D log ride, Song of the sea.
3. If you are planning universal studio (I would say you should do it for sure - thats best singapore attaraction) - you can easily skip few Sentosa ones like 4D.
4. Luge ride is fun for kids.
5. Merlion, Desparado can be skipped.
6. Under water world + Dolphin - If you have seen similar show anywhere else, skip Singapore one.
7. And yes - try to AVOID weekends for Sentosa and Universal Studio.

Let me know if you are going to Universal Studio, would let you know how to plan that.
ajayrec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 14:30   #172
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayrec View Post
Hi NPV,

You can choose what you want for these passes. Cable car can be selected out of 17 options if you wish.
Tip for Sentosa -
1. Not all attaraction are worth. Few might be very boring.
7. And yes - try to AVOID weekends for Sentosa and Universal Studio.
Let me know if you are going to Universal Studio, would let you know how to plan that.
Thanks Ajay. We have 6 days (Yes! don't want to rush and feel tired each day ).
Here's the day wise plan, would like to get your suggestions (avoiding Sentosa, Universal during weekend).

Day 1 (Friday):
Reach Singapore 8am, check in/leave bags at hotel
Morning - Flyer, Singapore River boat ride
Evening - Night Safari

Day 2 (Saturday):
Morning - Jurong Bird Park
Afternoon - Science Center/Snow Park
Evening - China Town

Day 3 (Sunday):
Morning - Zoo
Evening - Boat quay/Clarke quay

Day 4 (Monday):
Full day - Universal

Day 5 (Tuesday):
Full day - Sentosa

Day 6 (Wednesday):
City tour, Marina Bay, Esplanade, etc
Board flight to Bangalore at 8pm

Any other time we get each day, we may just go around shopping/window shopping.

Please let me know regarding EzLink and getting a SIM card for mobile.

Last edited by NPV : 8th May 2013 at 14:35.
Old 8th May 2013, 14:48   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ajay. We have 6 days (Yes! don't want to rush and feel tired each day ).
Here's the day wise plan, would like to get your suggestions (avoiding Sentosa, Universal during weekend).

Day 1 (Friday):
Evening - Night Safari

Day 2 (Saturday):
Afternoon - Science Center/Snow Park
Evening - China Town

Day 3 (Sunday):
Morning - Zoo
Evening - Boat quay/Clarke quay

Day 4 (Monday):
Full day - Universal

Day 5 (Tuesday):
Full day - Sentosa

Day 6 (Wednesday):
City tour, Marina Bay, Esplanade, etc

Any other time we get each day, we may just go around shopping/window shopping.
Few things -

Singapore boat ride and Marina Bay/esplanade are almost same. Singapore boat ride starts from Marina bay itself. So you can visit Ganden by the bay after your city tour.
Day 2 is very hectic. I have never seen anyone doign anything else after birdpark. You can let go snow park/science center.

Day 3 - Zoo is nice. Can take a full day if you want to cover everything. It would be quite tiring as well. My siuggestion here would be to be there by 10 AM. Finish everything by 5. Head to Night safari which startsby around 6:30 I guess - enjoy it, have dinner, come back and crash.

Reason - Zoo and Night safari are up north next to each other. Night safari is not that demanding - you have trams.

And for friday - its better to go to Clark Quay after Singapore river tour because this tour ends in Clark Quay and its much more happening on friday than on monday.

Day 1 (Friday):
Evening - Clarke quay (Avoid Boat quay)

Day 2 (Saturday):
Afternoon - Science Center/Snow Park (Dont think you can make it)
Evening - China Town

Day 3 (Sunday):
Morning - Zoo (10-5:30) - Make sure you buy ticket online in advance to avoid LONG queue on sunday.
Evening - Night Safari (7 pm onwards)

Day 4 (Monday):
Full day - Universal (Make sure you reach by 10 and BUY universal express pass for SURE)

Day 5 (Tuesday):
Full day - Sentosa (Make sure either you have package if not then buy Songs of the sea in ADVANCE. I never bought package btw).

Day 6 (Wednesday):
City tour, Garden by the bay/Shopping

For Universal Studio -
All rides are good. Dont miss anything. Dont even think of not buying express ticket in advance (Buy online).

If you are flying Singapore airlines, quite a few attaraction offers discount if you show them your boarding pass - sentosa & night safari.

Let me know if you have more questions.
ajayrec is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 15:00   #174
Senior - BHPian

For the EzLink Card (the card used in MRTs and Buses and also for entry into Sentosa), you can buy this card at any 7-Eleven shop or at the MRT Stations. Each card costs $12.00 SGD and has a preloaded value or $7.00 SGD.

It is recommended to pick up this card if you are planning to use the MRTs and buses a lot. Taxis are also cheaper during non-peak hours and might work out to be the same cost as using the MRT when traveling as a group of 3 or 4 persons.

For mobile, go to a Cheers or 7-Eleven convenience stores and pick up a Prepaid SIM for 12 SGD again. Starhub and Singtel have prepaid SIMs which offer competitive rates for IDD Calls to India. If you require 3G internet, pick up a starhub card as they have plans for 3 days and 7 days etc.
More information here.

Adding to Ajay's tips for USS, please check the park opening hours on the USS website on the day of your visit. Also, make sure to check the local weather prediction for the day as well. The Battlestar roller coasters will be closed if it rains. The last time I was there, there were lots of sad faces in USS as 3 major rides were closed on that day.
USS has the Hollywood dress parade and Lake Hollywood spectacular only on specific days (mostly weekends).
Rides not to be missed - Transformers, Battlestar Roller coasters, Revenge of the Mummy, Jurassic Park.
Shows worth watching - Shrek 4D, Donkey Live, Steven Spielberg's Lights Camera Action, Monster Rock, etc.

In Sentosa, Luge Ride, Extreme Log Ride, etc are good. You can also skip the Underwater World and go to the newly opened S.E.A Aquarium. The aquarium is worth each and every dollar.
pulsar56 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 15:28   #175
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion is to skip the night safari. Frankly its not worth at all. I felt the animals are made to behave artifically somehow. You see lions and tigers 50-60 feet away with blank expressions on their face as if they are dolls! Not worth at all IMO. You could visit the zoo though! It will be better than night safari for sure! You can save some $$ and use it for something better.

Sentosa island water sports look good. When i went it was still in construction stage. If its completed then please visit there!Also i dont see "Merlion statue" in your itenary . Make it as a must visit too! Although you can catch a glimpse of it during the boat ride, i suggest you go to the statue by land. Afterall its the icon of singapore

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 8th May 2013 at 15:39.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 15:43   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
My suggestion is to skip the night safari. Frankly its not worth at all. I felt the animals are made to behave artifically somehow. You see lions and tigers 50-60 feet away with blank expressions on their face as if they are dolls! Not worth at all IMO. You could visit the zoo though! It will be better than night safari for sure! You can save some $$ and use it for something better.

Sentosa island water sports look good. When i went it was still in construction stage. If its completed then please visit there!
I second that. I personally dont like Night safari - specially because half of the animals are from India only LOL...

Also for Zoo - Dont waste your time for "Animal Friends Show" & "Rainforest Fights Back Show". Totally useless. Splash and elephant are worth.
ajayrec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 20:24   #177
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Few things -

If you are flying Singapore airlines, quite a few attaraction offers discount if you show them your boarding pass - sentosa & night safari.
Thanks!
We're not flying Singapore Airlines.
We're not going to skip night safari since it's a unique experience (definitely will be for my family being the first trip so don't want to miss).
Bought (online) the Park hopper 3-in-1 tickets for Zoo, Bird Park, Night Safari so those are covered.

Some questions regarding tickets for attractions:
1. Can we get Sentosa admission only ticket and then buy individual tickets for rides ? I could not find such ticket options online, only the packages, can somone clarify ? If this is possible, I would probably take the Cable car ride to Sentosa and then individual tickets for some rides (based on the recommendations in the earlier posts)
2. For Singapore flyer - buy ticket online ? Should we include the Singapore boat ride as well (options available online).
3. Universal - buy ticket online ? Include the SEA aquarium and the Express pass ? (options available online).

Thanks for the tips on EzLink and Mobile SIM card, planning to get them both at a local 7 Eleven store.
Old 9th May 2013, 06:30   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!
We're not going to skip night safari since it's a unique experience (definitely will be for my family being the first trip so don't want to miss).
Bought (online) the Park hopper 3-in-1 tickets for Zoo, Bird Park, Night Safari so those are covered.

1. Can we get Sentosa admission only ticket and then buy individual tickets for rides ? I could not find such ticket options online, only the packages, can somone clarify ? If this is possible, I would probably take the Cable car ride to Sentosa and then individual tickets for some rides (based on the recommendations in the earlier posts)
2. For Singapore flyer - buy ticket online ? Should we include the Singapore boat ride as well (options available online).
3. Universal - buy ticket online ? Include the SEA aquarium and the Express pass ? (options available online).

Thanks for the tips on EzLink and Mobile SIM card, planning to get them both at a local 7 Eleven store.
Yes - buy cable car only ticket. No admission ticket required with that. If you dont take cable car, tap your ezlink card and enter- thats it. No separate entry ticket. But buy song of the sea online in advance.

Okay - go for night safari but on the same day as zoo.

Universal - yes buy online including sea and express.

Flyer - you can buy here if you wish or online.

Cheers
ajayrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 07:57   #179
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes - buy cable car only ticket. No admission ticket required with that. If you dont take cable car, tap your ezlink card and enter- thats it. No separate entry ticket. But buy song of the sea online in advance.

Okay - go for night safari but on the same day as zoo.

Universal - yes buy online including sea and express.

Flyer - you can buy here if you wish or online.

Cheers
Bought the Sentosa Day Play Pass ticket and the songs of the sea (Premium, so seats will be reserved).

I could not find an option to buy online tickets for the cable car ride from Mt Faber. Seems like I will need to buy it there directly, any idea about this ?
For Flyer, does it make sense to take the City Pass B ticket for Flyer + Boat + Bus ?
http://www.singaporeflyer.com/unique...r-city-passes/

Last edited by NPV : 9th May 2013 at 08:07.
Old 9th May 2013, 08:09   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!

1) Sentosa is an Island and in that there many theme parks or attractions. So you can enter island with out purchasing any thing.

for 2 & 3:

Once I bought packages from groupon(http://www.groupon.sg/deals/singapor...29&a=715828644 , http://www.groupon.sg/deals/singapor...29&a=715828644) and they directed me to travel agency to collect tickets. They are selling tickets for all the attractions at very very good price. If you are travelling in group it may save good amount of money. No need to buy any packages which actually have things we do not like. I am attaching the prices list. In that they have given their price and actual price. For example Universal costs 75$ and they give it for 65$. The travel agency is SeaWheel Travels at ChinaTown MRT. Hope it helps.

What to see in Malaysia and Singapore-20130204_183221.jpg
What to see in Malaysia and Singapore-20130204_183226.jpg
arun_kun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote