Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 17th November 2009, 10:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default What to see in Malaysia and Singapore

We, the monsoon masti group of 15, are going to Malaysia and Singapore in Feb 2010.

We have not taken any travel agency services.

All planning and booking have to be done by me as a group leader.

The flight and hotel booking have been already done.

We will land in Kualalumpur at 3pm and reach to hotel at Jalan Bukit Bintang area near Lot 10 at @6pm.

I need help for the itinerary for sightseeing.

Day1-3pm-landing at kl, no sightseeing.

Day2- batucaves, petronas tower, kl aquarium, kl tower, clubbing.

Day3-genting highland

Day4-kl sightseeing-bird park, butterfly park, putrajaya, merdeka square.

Day5- fly to singapore by first flight at 6:15am and back by last flight at 11:45pm at kl.

Day6-back to India. flight from kl at 2:45 pm. will be in mumbai at 9:15pm.

Suggestion required about what to see at what time, mode of transport.

What should we see in Singapore in 12 hours i.e. from 9am to 9 pm?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 17th November 2009 at 10:36.
ASHISHPALLOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 14:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

i think you should have taken out more time for Singapore. Riverboat ride, Singapore flyer, Sentosa island and Shopping on Orchard road are good options to consider. Cab drivers are very good guides in Singapore they can guide according to your taste.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 15:13   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post

Day3-genting highland
Batu caves can be covered on the way or while coming back from Genting Highlands. There is a cable car as well to reach Genting which you might consider taking one way

Petronas tower has some particular timng guess before 12 noon on weekdays when visitors are allowed to go to the top after taking a ticket, do keep that in mind and accordingly make a plan

One more thing, Watch factory in KL and Mustafa in Singapore are VFM shopping places while Orchid road in Singapore is more upmarket
shk_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 15:27   #4
BHPian

Hi Ashish,

Since No of days are limited in S'pore/Malaysia I suggest following. I have appended to your schedule.

Day1-3pm-landing at kl, no sightseeing.
Suggestion : (1) If you dont have more/heavy luggage (I guess not since you are all singles and males group); take a bus to KL Sentral for 8 or 9 RM. From KL Sentral (its KL Central station spelled like Sentral in Bahasa Melayu that's Malay language); take a taxi to your hotel. If you have arranged for a pickup facility; its even better. (2) Since you are in Bukit Bintang Area, its a shopping area and I suggest you to go to Pavillion Mall and Star Hill Gallery. Bukit Bintang in Malay means "Star hill". Bukit - Hill, Bintang - Star. In Lot 10 Shopping Plaza there is a cafe owned by Jackie Chan on 2nd or 3rd floor. Its a nice relaxed place to have a coffee/chillers.

Suggestion (1) Go to Sogo shopping complex. There are buses to Batu caves which would cost you RM1 (or 2) for a return ticket per person. Taxi from your hotel would cost you RM50 for return fare and can accomodate 4 people. (2) If you want to do the petronas tower and aquarium, do that first thing in the morning. There are free passes for the twin towers and window opens at 7.30 am. Be there by 7am and still you woudl be standing in queue. Take a free ticket for the 42nd floor tower bridge and then roam around in the area. You will get morning ticket if you are there in the queue early in morning so that you dont waste time. After Twin tower, do the Aquaria. Its a 38RM ticket and a must see place. After that go to Batu caves either by bus or cab.

Day3-genting highland
Suggestion (1) Go to KL Sentral station and take bus. The package costs around 50RM which includes Genting outdoor park ticket or lunch and return bus fare. I suggest you take that ticket as soon as you reach KL so that you get morning bus (around 730 or 8am) and take return bus around 8pm to reach KL by 9 or 9.30. I suggest you take outdoor park option in the package. The food opptions at Genting are aplenty; both Veg and Non-Veg.

Day4-kl sightseeing-bird park, butterfly park, putrajaya, merdeka square.
Suggestion (1) Take a Hop-on Hop-off double decker bus ticket which would cost you around 50RM and can be used for whole day for any no of hops in the bus anywhere on its route. Its a full KL sight seeing tour for whole day and all the places mentioned by you are covered and many more. I suggest you do KL tower on this route instead of Day-2. Go to KL Tower around 530'ish. Go to the top floor gallery. Have dinner in the rotating restaurant. Its a great view; you having dinner in a rotating restaurant seeing all the lights of KL or have a lunch there if you reach there early (around 12 or 1230pm) so that you get full KLcity view. You can actually see Genting from the KL Tower bynocs.

Day5- fly to singapore by first flight at 6:15am and back by last flight at 11:45pm at kl.
Suggestion (1) Land in S'pore around 730 am and come out of the airport after formalities by 8am. (2) Take MRT train to city center and take hop on hop off bus. If you are flying by S'pre airlines thhe ticket is free (make a point to fly S'pore Air) or normal cost is SGD 30 for whole day for any no of hops. (3) If not for the hopping bus, take cabs to Orchard Road, Raffles Place, Mustafa Market (Little India) you will get good Indian food here. Since you are only for a day here either you can go to Sentosa or spend day in places in S'pore. DO take a Singapore MRT map and site seeing map from the Airport counter. Ask for it.

Day6-back to India. flight from kl at 2:45 pm. will be in mumbai at 9:15pm.
Suggestion (1) Checkout from the hotel in morning and go to KL Sentral. If you re flying Malaysia Arilines, checkiin your baggage there itself and take fast train (ERL) ticket. It takes half an hr to reach KLIA. (2) Luggage check in done, boarding passes with you; now take cab and go to China Town for the last minute shopping. DO REMEMBER not to buy any sharp objects as you owuld be puttting your shopping in the cabin luggage. Good buys from this place are Original "FAKE" watches of any brand. DO BARGAIN HARD here. I have got 10 watches for RM 130; when he started for RM 90 a piece. . OR you can finish China Town on Day2 or Day4.

OR If you dont want to do anything on last day; just relax; checkin at KL Sentral and go to KLIA in a fast train. Spend time there. Its a good airport to pass time.

I hope i have not left out any point and this helps you.
-------------------
Edit : Oh yes, I forgot to add Putrajaya. Go there after luggage check-in on last day. Take fast train to KLIA; get down at Putrajaya station on the way; Take a taxi for site seeing tour (negotiate on the taxi stand itself); I guess a two hr tour would cost you RM 70 or 80 each taxi. Spend a couple of hrs and come back to Putrajaya station adn take train to KLIA or negotiate the cab driver for a drop at KLIA. Your choice. Putrajaya from KL is about 35 kms and given the tight schedule for the rest of the 5 days you can acoomodate Putrajaya on 6th day only before boarding the flight.

Last edited by advaitlele : 17th November 2009 at 15:33. Reason: Added Putrajaya details
advaitlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 15:30   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
i think you should have taken out more time for Singapore.
+1 to that mate. 12 hours is too short a time. But if that's what you gonna have, I'd suggest Sentosa Island. You'd do the Underwater world, Dolphin Lagoon, Skyride, 4d Magix (a lot better than the ones in India I believe).

Other attractions possible are the Jurong Bird Park, Night Safari (which is not applicable in this case) and a boat ride down the river (this is best during dusk/night IMHO).
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 15:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i think you should have taken out more time for Singapore.
Actually, earlier, we have planned only kl but due to popular demand, at 11th hour, i have to skip one day from kl and add 12 hours to Singapore.
Thanks for suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk_24 View Post
Batu caves can be covered on the way or while coming back from Genting Highlands.
One more thing, Watch factory in KL and Mustafa in Singapore are VFM shopping places while Orchid road in Singapore is more upmarket
Thanks for suggestion.
Which watch factory in kl? please give details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
Hi Ashish,

Since No of days are limited in S'pore/Malaysia I suggest following. I have appended to your schedule.
Putrajaya from KL is about 35 kms and given the tight schedule for the rest of the 5 days you can acoomodate Putrajaya on 6th day only before boarding the flight.
@advait,
i was expecting your post with details and i got it.
Thanks for suggestions.
I will correct my itinerary.
I have lot of queries. will post one by one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
. 12 hours is too short a time. But if that's what you gonna have, I'd suggest Sentosa Island. You'd do the Underwater world, Dolphin Lagoon, Skyride, 4d Magix (a lot better than the ones in India I believe).

a boat ride down the river (this is best during dusk/night IMHO).
Yeah man, 12 hours are too short.
I had purposely made it short so that our group members will be triggered to go to Singapore again with family for longer stay.
Sentosa ,orchard road, river quay are must.
thanks for suggestion.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 17th November 2009 at 15:56.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:01   #7
Team-BHP Support

Remember to buy a local Simcard there as the outgoing calls to india are very cheap. Best way is to carry one extra cell phone and insert the local sim in it, instead of attending a call on your indian number call back from your local sim.

I got 10$ calling value for 10$ with dirt cheap call rate, similar offers are available in Malaysia too.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suggestion (1) Go to Sogo shopping complex. There are buses to Batu caves which would cost you RM1 (or 2) for a return ticket per person. If you want to do the petronas tower and aquarium, do that first thing in the morning. T After Twin tower, do the Aquaria. Its a 38RM ticket and a must see place. After that go to Batu caves either by bus or cab.
from kl sentral, we will go to hotel by taxi.

for day2,
We do not intend to go to petronas twins that early.
Instead, we will do batu caves first and then come to klcc.
Petronas towers, kl tower, aquarium are near to each other.
it will be easier for us to move.
Again in our mind, strolling on jalan p ramlee is must.

1]How to go to sogo shopping complex from bukit bintang monorail station?
2]How to go to kl tower from suriya klcc?

Quote:
@.ANSHUMAN---Remember to buy a local Simcard there as the outgoing calls to india are very cheap.
Which company sim card should we prefer? what is procedure to get sim card?

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 17th November 2009 at 16:18.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:24   #9
BHPian

Maybe you can postpone the trip by a month or so and catch the Malaysian GP at Sepang?
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 16:25   #10
Team-BHP Support

Prepaid cards from a lot of mobile operators are available with all the general stores. They will photocopy your passport and will get the number activated in 10 minutes. Please compare the call rates before buying. In most probablity you will get full value.

Taxi drivers in KL try not to go with the meter and even if they go with the meter they take the longer route. At Singapore you wont find similar issues.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Maybe you can postpone the trip by a month or so and catch the Malaysian GP at Sepang?
No, we do not intend to catch GP nor we can postpone our flights.
We had reserved the flight tickets in special promotional rates.
Total five flights cost us just rs 8750 [ YES, you read correct, 8750] per head including all taxes, airport charges, transfer from kl airport to kl sentral to and fro, baggage charges and food. Five flights are India-kl, kl-singapore, singapore-kl, kl-indian destination, indian destination-mumbai.
we have not taken any group discount!!
I will post the details in travelogue. till then you guess.

Quote:
Prepaid cards from a lot of mobile operators are available with all the general stores. They will photocopy your passport and will get the number activated in 10 minutes. Please compare the call rates before buying. In most probablity you will get full value.
Thanks for info. We will do it.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 17th November 2009 at 16:45.
Old 17th November 2009, 16:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Taxi drivers in KL try not to go with the meter and even if they go with the meter they take the longer route. At Singapore you wont find similar issues.
I disagree here. I have never come across any Taxi guy who refused to go without meter. Yes, late lights, thye could ask for a flat fare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
1]How to go to sogo shopping complex from bukit bintang monorail station?
2]How to go to kl tower from suriya klcc?
For 1, I think its a walking distance. As far as I remember, I remember seeing it from the car while someone was showing me Bukit Bintang Station.

For 2, Take a cab. Try to Avoid the Executive Cab but go in for a regular one.

Some Tips that I can give from my short trip in KL:
  1. If you are lazy, and want to travel in a Taxi, avoid the Hotel Taxis and walk upto the road and take a normal (Red & White or Yellow) Taxis. Hotels normally have the Blue Taxi's which are high end cars and can ripp you off. I used to pay 90 RM's for a distane where I could have paid just 20 using a normal cab. Or by monorail, just 1.5 RM.
  2. If you are lost or need to ask something to someone, ask for information from a person who looks Indian/Singaporean (Indian Origin), I found the Malay people a bit RUDE and un-cooperative.
  3. Don't bargain too much in Shops, they don't like it. when you hear the term "Best Price", it means, don't bargain further you El cheapo!
  4. Shop for Clothes in KL, it is a Shoppers Paradise in that aspect. Electronics can be bought at almost the same prices in India.
  5. Go Clubbing. There are a couple of good clubs near KLCC.
  6. There are plenty of massage parlours in KL. Not too sure how good or "safe" they are. Try to avoid them! You would find a lot of them near the Pavillion mall.
  7. Don't be surprised if people are you if you are from Singapore.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 18:28   #13
BHPian

1. Twin towers - actually, if you want to just see the twin towers anytime of the day is ok. If you want to go to the bridge on 42nd floor, tickets are free of cost on first come first serve basis; window for that opens at 7.30. So if you want to go to the bridge you have to go there early and get your tickets - they would ask you for your preferred time slot and you can have it in the time you want. So, get tickets, the proceed for Batu caves as you want to go to caves in morning and then come back to towers.

2. Calling card - you can get prepaid Digi cards from any shop or even at the KLIA arrival lounge. Then buy a Haja call back card. Its a RM 10 or 20 denomination card which gives a toll free number. you call that toll free no; and then they call you back; when the IVR menu starts dial your India number and it connects. Usually, directly dialling from Mal sim card vs call back card is 50% cheaper. My rough estimate if my memory is right is callback card would cost you around 3rs/min and direcly alling from Mal sim is about 6.5rs/min.

3. KLCC to KL Tower - Its a walking distance around 10-15 mins. KLCC is area where twin towers are. In the same premises you will see Twin towers, KLCC Garden, KL Convention Center (KLCC) and same building basement you have Aquaria. On the way from KLCC to KL Tower you would see Zok pub/club and other good spots. If you are a energetic group you can do that easily. During my stay of 2 yrs in KL, I have walked this distance many times.

4. As said by Amtak, usually taxi would run on meters in day time. Post evening or remote areas, they would run on fix fare. Go for red and white or yellow cabs (Proton Wira make). Dont go for Blue ones. They are more expensive.

5. Actually in my two years, I have not bought any clothes (formal wear) from KL. Other clothes - Tshirts, shorts etc its very cheap there.

6. Massage parlors in big malls - Mid Valley, Pavillion etc are quite good and authentic.

7. High End electronics - DSLRs, Laptops - cheaper than India. Other electronics - mobiles, etc. not cheap there. Go to Low Yat Plaza Opp Times Square mall monorail station. Any cab fellow would take you there.

8. Bkt Bintang to Sogo - I think the station name is Wawasan or P Ramlee. My memory is fading. In any case distance between two monorail stations is not more than 10 mins walking distance. I have attached train map here.
Attached Images

advaitlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 18:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Some Tips that I can give from my short trip in KL:
  1. Don't bargain too much in Shops, they don't like it. when you hear the term "Best Price", it means, don't bargain further you El cheapo!
  2. Shop for Clothes in KL, it is a Shoppers Paradise in that aspect.
  3. Go Clubbing. There are a couple of good clubs near KLCC.
  4. There are plenty of massage parlours in KL.
  5. Don't be surprised if people are you if you are from Singapore.
thanks amtak for useful info.

Quote:
So, get tickets, the proceed for Batu caves as you want to go to caves in morning and then come back to towers.

2. Calling card -

3. KLCC to KL Tower - Its a walking distance around 10-15 mins.

4. As said by Amtak, usually taxi would run on meters in day time. Go for red and white or yellow cabs (Proton Wira make). Dont go for Blue ones.

5. Other clothes - Tshirts, shorts etc its very cheap there.

6. Massage parlors in big malls - Mid Valley, Pavillion etc are quite good and authentic.

7. High End electronics - DSLRs, Laptops - cheaper than India. Other electronics - mobiles, etc. not cheap there. Go to Low Yat Plaza Opp Times Square mall monorail station. Any cab fellow would take you there.

8. Bkt Bintang to Sogo - I think the station name is Wawasan or P Ramlee. My memory is fading. In any case distance between two monorail stations is not more than 10 mins walking distance. I have attached train map here.

Thanks adwait for all write up with details.
my further queries w.r.t. the point no in your last post.

1] thats nice idea. should we all line up for free tickets or one/two guys in line will be ok?
2]thats good info and idea.
3] i assume, petronas tower to kl tower is 15 min walk which is manageable.
4] i read lot of stories about kl taxi drivers. we will keep it in mind.
5] we are going to buy cloths and some souvenir items and not any electronics. which is best place in term of cost and quality to buy those items?
6] massage..hmmmm.... i will pm you.
7] low yat plaza is walking distance away from our hotel.
8] i have not got yet clear idea about bukit bintang to batu caves via sogo complex. please give some more info.
9] clubbing. which clubs near petronas other than zouk, beach bar and aloha?
Old 17th November 2009, 19:00   #15
Team-BHP Support

Yeh Ghor Paap hai

Ashish, you should have given minimum of 3 days for singapore as there is so much to see there plus it would take a whole day for shopping, if you are keen.

Since you have only 12 hours. Then head straight to Sentosa Island which is really worth seeing ( we have a park in Hyderabad which is inspired from that) and there are many attractions like :-

1. Dolphin pool with some cool acrobatics
2. Musical Fountain ( A full story is told to you via. fountain) simply incredible. But these shows start late in evening, say around 5pm onwards
3. 4D show which again is a must see though a bit expensive ( it was $17 Sing when i visited a few years ago) and this will really scare your pants as exactly what that show should do.

I have seen something close in Chicago once but Sentosa one was better.

4. Quite a few other attractions that will take up the whole day

5. If you have time, then visit Mustafa for your shopping. It's a fun place and a bit intimidating by the number of products available

P.S: In KL, go to " Bangsar" for clubbing if possible on a saturday/friday. The most happening clubbing scenario in KL

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th November 2009 at 19:02.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote