Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 19th November 2009, 21:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Ok when we are at it a slightly off-topic question
My 3 yrs. 30,000 Kms (only 19,500 kms in odo) service is due January. Should i go in for a full serive now, or should i just do a all fluids, battery, air pressure check now and get full service when i reach bangalore?
I suggest you get it done in delhi itself, this will ensure that you will have a trouble free car during your journey, second, i do not think your initial priorities in bangalore is to get the car servcied or finding a service station etc, but to settle down at your work, settle down at the new home, get the life goiing again.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 23:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Now what i want is to cover as much distance in Day 1 and 2 and less on Day 3 (Day 3: Pune - Bangalore would require about 13-14 hours??) because after reaching Bangalore on Sunday, i have to join office on Monday, so want to make sure that i enter bangalore by 6pm.

So is there any suggestions on whether i should halt in Udaipur on Day 1 or maybe cover some more distance and finish Day 1 elsewhere.
On Udaipur bypass towards Ahmedabad, you have Sneh Resort - a trifle expensive though.
Beyond Udaipur, you have RTDC at Rishabdeo, RTDC at Ratanpur, Hotel Mangalamurthi at Shamlaji, Hotel Landmark at Himmatnagar and Hotel Anjali before Ahmedabad.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 16:02   #18
BHPian

Hi hyper-VTEC,

My suggestion would be to get all the fluid levels checked up. Be sure that there is enough engine oil and coolant especially. Apart from that, get a complete service done when you have reached Bangalore and settled down a bit. My logic is that a long trip may render it necessary to get the vehicle fully serviced yet again. Why let duplication take place? Rest is up to you and you take a few more opinions before deciding on your course of action.

Regarding the second part, that is, where to stop for the first night. Both Udaipur and Ahmedabad or in between would be fine because you have fixed the next night at your relatives' in Pune. Udaipur-Pune or A'bad - Pune are both easily doable in a day
Akadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 10:57   #19
BHPian

Ok guys i am back. i have charted out the plan.

17-Dec: Start from Delhi and drive to Chittorgarh > Udaipur (halt)
18-Dec: Start from Udaipur and drive to Surat > Ahmedabad > Pune (halt)
19-Dec: Start from Pune and drive to Belgaum > Bangalore

one of my colleauges mentioned that the roads from Belgaum to Bangalore is not that good. Could someone who travelled recently in this route, throw some light on this.

I would take a printout of hvkumar' log file and also of the maps of the same places. I would also have Garmin, but i do not know how much it would be.

Thanks everyone
hyper-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 11:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Road is outstanding till Haveri. From there, since 4-laning is incomplete, there are some bad sections. You gave to wade through Ranebennur town. Harihar-Davangere bypass is terrible. But none of these should bother you.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 12:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

I travelled Bangalore - Hubli last week thursday.
Left from Bangalor at 3:30 PM and reached Hubli at 10:50 PM with 2 breaks in beween 30 minutes + 50 minutes respectively for tea and dinner. So it took 6 hours in all for actual driving.

The road condition is as below

Yelahanka-Dodballapur-Dobbaspet - Tumkur : Overall good stretch, as it was day time full of regular traffic. it took me some 90 minutes drive to reach tumkur. few places there are big pot holes.

Tumkur Bypass : in bad condition as usual, there are very big speed breakers. low GC cars with full passenger/luggage load will get definitely hit the bottom side.

Chitradurga Bypass : Work as re-started, still it is in bad shape

Davangere Bypass : Work has re-stared, one overbridge is ready now.
still lot of work pending

Harihar bypass : work in progress

Harihar Bypass to Rane Bennur: there are two railway crossings, lot many de-tours, 4 laning work in progress

Ranebennur town to BPCL Ghar dhabha : high traffic. need to account atleast 20-30 minutes for this 4-8K stretch.

BPCL Ghar Dhabha to Haveri Bypass : lot many de-tours, watch out for vehicles on the wrong side of the road.

Once you cross Haveri Bypass road is excellent.
Old 30th November 2009, 12:41   #22
BHPian

@ StarVegabond.
Nice update of the road conditions on that stretch. It would be even more useful if you could please mention approx. distances of those specific stretches of bad roads.

Thanks
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 17:00   #23
BHPian

from haveri bypass to bangalore is approx. 335 kms. as per MMI online
hyper-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 17:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
from haveri bypass to bangalore is approx. 335 kms. as per MMI online
You are right, From Yelahanka (North Bangalore) via the route taken by me Haveri BP is approx 345 KMs, the approx distances are as below

Yelahanka - Dodballapur : 28 KM
Dodballapur - Dobbaspet : 37 KM
Dobbaspet to Tumkur BP : 20 KM
Tumkur BP to Sira : 52 KM
Sira to Chitradurga BP : 81 KM
Chitradurga to Davangere : 63 KM
Davangere to Ranebennur BPCL Dhabha : ~ 35 KM
Ranebennur BPCL to Haveri BP : ~ 25 KM
Haveri BP to Hubli BP : 74 KM

out of the above, in my opinion some 30-40KMs in all could be the stretch under construction or filled with pot holes, this is excluding the detours one need to take which also consumes time and need to be careful during such detours especially during the night drives.
Old 30th November 2009, 17:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Isnt this route too long?

Hi Everyone,
The route suggested by HVK and others, isnt it too long? I mean all the way from Blore to Mumbai is 1026. Km and then from Mumbai to Delhi is 1415 km.The total works out to be around 2500 km. Source: Google Maps

The direct route from Delhi to B'lore via these places (HYD-NGP-GWL-JHN-AGR-DEL) comes out to be km. Source: Google Maps.

Is this route that bad? It seems to be geometrically straighter at least.
I have ridden on this route till Seoni and have continued on the NH7 and HYD-Seoni wasn't that good but it wasn't too bad either. This was last year.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 17:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hi Everyone,
The route suggested by HVK and others, isnt it too long? I mean all the way from Blore to Mumbai is 1026. Km and then from Mumbai to Delhi is 1415 km.The total works out to be around 2500 km. Source: Google Maps

The direct route from Delhi to B'lore via these places (HYD-NGP-GWL-JHN-AGR-DEL) comes out to be km. Source: Google Maps.

Is this route that bad? It seems to be geometrically straighter at least.
I have ridden on this route till Seoni and have continued on the NH7 and HYD-Seoni wasn't that good but it wasn't too bad either. This was last year.
I think this question has been answered several times earlier as well

The Delhi-Mum-Bangalore road is a complete 4 lane, very safe and predictable route. roads are in good condition, drivable even at nights/ late evenings. For a family ride, there would be good quality accomodation, food, other facilities on the way at reasonable intervals.

The route through central India, or eastern India are not very safe for late evening/night driving. more over the road conditions are not that of GQ quality. Journey times are not very predictable as well.

at the end of the day, reaching the destination in time and safe is the first priority, especially if one is driving for the first time.
Old 30th November 2009, 18:01   #27
BHPian

Hi n.devdath,

Well this is about a comfortable style of driving versus an economical style. I mean even if the suggested route is longer, it gives you the comfort of excellent roads. You will be less tired and maybe you will even be able to make it in the same amount of time. If family is trudging along, they will also have a much more comfortable time sitting in the car.

On the other hand, if how much fuel is going to be consumed on the trip is the main criterion, then the geometrically straighter route is always there
Akadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 18:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

not to bounce off your driving plans, you can send your car to Bangalore from Delhi for 9-10 k.

I would recommend sending the car in container, the ones used for Maruti's car tranportation from Gurgaon factory to other parts of country.

Its better, cheaper, comfortable as your flight tickets will be reimbursed by new company.

I have done this atleast thrice in last 2 years. (car transportation, not job change )
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 08:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
at the end of the day, reaching the destination in time and safe is the first priority, especially if one is driving for the first time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akadian View Post
On the other hand, if how much fuel is going to be consumed on the trip is the main criterion, then the geometrically straighter route is always there
Yep, it certainly makes sense keeping in mind the "comfortable driving style". Thank you for your replies SVB and Akadian.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 11:38   #30
BHPian

Thanks StarVegaband and Akadian for nice and crisp answers.
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote