Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 27th February 2009, 17:26   #16
BHPian

Yes, Correct.. and now that u have asked some many questions.. Bring the Mahabaleshwar sweets for US..

Dont forget to go to Mapro garden..sandwich are amazing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh711 View Post
I'll be coming down from the Mumbai Pune bypass side so will the Katraj bypass tunnel be OK, right?

Last edited by yatinchoubal : 27th February 2009 at 17:28.
yatinchoubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 17:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatinchoubal View Post
Yes, Correct.. and now that u have asked some many questions.. Bring the Mahabaleshwar sweets for US..

Dont forget to go to Mapro garden..sandwich are amazing..

Mapro garden is a sure stop! What other sweets are famous from Mahabaleshwar?

Also, any particular points in Panchagani that I may visit? I'm gonna stay overnight at Mahabaleshwar (haven't booked anything but will go there and check) Any hotels apart from the MTDC one?
saurabh711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 17:55   #18
BHPian

Jelly sweets are the most famous.. Plus u can get lot of strawberries and syrups. (rose, vanilla) and lot of mapro products.
Tourist spots in Panchgani are the Table land, Parsi point, and Sydney point.. When i had been to Pachgani, they had para sailing going on..
May b u can try your luck
yatinchoubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 11:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
you have to take right turn at point two in the image.

route is

pune-nh4-nasarapur-tollnaka-khandala-toll naka2-khambataki ghat-after crossing ghat, at @5km one underconstruction overbridge for on coming vehicles-turn right under this bridge[this junction is called surul]-wai-pasarani ghat-panchagani-mahabaleshwar.

you have to avoid katraj ghat as repairing is going on and ghat is closed.

Ashish, are these roads still a problem?

I am planning to visit Mahabaleshwar from Pune tommorow - what's the best route to take? I will be starting from Aundh & planning to return back in the evening?

Also, if anybody has recommendations for good places to eat in Mahabaleshwar & places to visit in Mahabaleshwar, that will be great.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 11:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Ashish, are these roads still a problem?
@carboy,
where is the problem about roads?
there is absolutely no problem about road. pune to surul- 80 km-4laned nh4,

surul to mahabaleshwar-40km-scenic state highway.

as you are going to do it as one day picnic, i suggest as i always do it for one day, if you have kids, stop at parsi point which is 5km ahead of panchagani toward mahabaleshwar. there is lot of plays for children and good view of krishna valley. then head to mapro gardens for buying squash, juice and other stuff. have your lunch at that point. then head to arthur seat point. for this, 1km just before venna lake, you have to right turn toward kates point and then left turn toward arthur seat. you can pass 2 hours at this point.
after that, you can head toward ladwick point. lastly, sunset point.
in the evening, you can go to venna lake and late evening , mahabaleshwar market. have shopping and dinner and head toward pune starting latest 9pm from mahaby. you can easily reach to your home before midnight.

edit: delhi bhpian, sstraveller may be in mahabaleshwar tomorrow.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 24th May 2009 at 12:02.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 10:32   #21
BHPian

How is the current road condition (post monsoon) scene to Mahabaleshwar? Anybody been there recently? I am planning to go there on a one day picnic from Mumbai - early morning departure to evening return on Sunday. Any tips are most welcome. I plan to go via Pune and Wai as suggested by Ashish.
gostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 11:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostel View Post
How is the current road condition (post monsoon) scene to Mahabaleshwar?
had been to mahaby just last week.
roads are ok.
half the mahaby market was closed for yearly post monsoon maintainance.
though rain may be stopped to other places, mahaby still gets rain shower.
everywhere is green colour and chilly wind.
venna lake is closed for boating.
hotel rents are lowest.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 22:11   #23
BHPian

Thanks Ashish for the info. This calls for change of plans and I will drive out Saturday morning. Hope by Saturday I will be able to buy the Mahaby honey and other local stuff. OK, will keep ready for overnight in case I get too tired to drive back same day. Yeah, I am not accustomed to very fast or very long drives.
Old 13th September 2009, 14:53   #24
BHPian

yesterday (Saturday) we drove out to Mabby and returned same night, both times via Pune and the E'way. Roads from Wai-Phata to Mabby were fine and no complaints at all. Entrance to the table-land at Panchgani had a deep water-filled trough so access was out of question. Rains were only intermittent and not a bother at all. I would say winters are a better time for visiting these spots. The entry tax at Panchgani was 50 and at Mabby was 60: that's extortion considering that they do nothing to maintain the roads and places there.
Old 21st September 2009, 13:22   #25
BHPian

Default Food places on the way to Mahabaleshwar?

Hi Guys,
Would be heading out to Mahabaleshwar on the weekend of 26th Sep from Mumbai. We are planning to drive thru the Expressway -Wai route as that route is good. Any pointers on the Mahad route as I have always enjoyed driving from that route too but the roads from Poladpur have been generally bad.

Also can someone provide inputs to good food places on the way as we are planning on leaving Mumbai at approx 3:00 PM on Saturday (cant leave earlier ), hence any inputs for good food places on the way for evening snacks and maybe an early dinner.
Same question on the return route too. We would be leaving Mahabaleshwar at 2:00 PM on Monday hence any inputs for food places on the way back.
Also any good food places at Mahabaleshwar?

There are some senior citizen's with us this time hence all the food questions.

Thanks
f1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostel View Post
yesterday (Saturday) we drove out to Mabby and returned same night, both times via Pune and the E'way. Roads from Wai-Phata to Mabby were fine and no complaints at all. Entrance to the table-land at Panchgani had a deep water-filled trough so access was out of question. Rains were only intermittent and not a bother at all. I would say winters are a better time for visiting these spots. The entry tax at Panchgani was 50 and at Mabby was 60: that's extortion considering that they do nothing to maintain the roads and places there.
Thanks for the info gostel. I believe the 50 and 60 bucks are for car and passengers too as I recollect the Car entry tax to be 30/per car at both Panchgani and Mahabaleshwar and the person entry charges was 10 at Panchgani and 15 at Mahabaleshwar. Were you charged the same or has the rates increased?
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 20:31   #26
BHPian

Oops sorry f1fan,
you must have launched for Mabby even before I write this. The entry taxes are as you said, no increases. We did not dare to visit any eating places en-route except one vada-pav stall. At Mabby we just had to do the Mapro garden routine. Most places were shut down, so I had a salivating drive through just reading at the Malvani sea-food posters in front of closed doors (boo-hoo). But the greenery was great everywhere. Having said that, I must say that the drive to Malshej was more awesome.
Do post your pics after you get back.
Old 13th October 2009, 00:09   #27

Take the Mumbai Bangalore Highway... and after Khambatki Ghat (about 6km) you have a diversion to Mahableshwar on your left. Landmark ... you turn left under the first flyover after khambatki Ghat. This is a small vbillege called Surur The 80 km stretch from Pune to this place is a wonderfui divided road. The last approx 40 Km is not a divided road.... but no potholes either. Be a bit careful after Panchgani because it may be very foggy.

Pune - Shirwal - Khandala - Surur - Wai - Panchgani - Mahableshwar in all 120 KM and about 2.5 hrs (with a tea break)
sushil.raddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 17:57   #28
BHPian

Default Re: Pune Mahabaleshwar route

Hi,

I would be driving to Mahabaleshwar (Mahaby) this Friday (22-11-2013) for a weekend vacation. I need information on the road conditions from Surur to Mahaby. How is the ghat section (distance, incline and traffic) after Surur. I would be driving in the morning (around 8 am), should we expect fog?

We have no plans as such, this is a relaxation trip, so destination chasing is not on the cards. The hotel reservations are done and the Mapro Gardens is definitely on the list. Any other secret food joints.

In School days, on a trip to Mahaby, we had stumbled upon a very old bakery (I still remember, established in later part of the 18th century), anyone here knows about it?

Any other dos and don'ts in Mahaby.
Ritzvxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 15:57   #29
BHPian

Default Re: Pune Mahabaleshwar route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzvxi View Post
Hi,

Any other dos and don'ts in Mahaby.
For the best strawberries and milk shake, do visit a place on way to Brightlands (forgot the exact name now).

Road conditions till Satara are ok, nothing to rave about as per my recent Satar trip but not sure about Surur-Maby patch.
vineet_k21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 18:29   #30
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Pune Mahabaleshwar route

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet_k21 View Post
For the best strawberries and milk shake, do visit a place on way to Brightlands (forgot the exact name now).

Road conditions till Satara are ok, nothing to rave about as per my recent Satar trip but not sure about Surur-Maby patch.
Hi Vineet,

I will look out for the place you've mentioned! Thanks!

On a Kaas Trip recently, I went through the same patch on NH4 and I am aware of the situation.

It is sad that after paying such a hefty toll, we are subjected to such road conditions.
Ritzvxi is offline   Reply With Quote