Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 26th November 2009, 13:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Route from Bangalore to Guntur - Suggestions

Hi,

Planning to do Bangalore to Guntur, AP tomorrow.

I thought of taking this route:

Bangalore - Kolar - Mulbagal - Tirupati - Srikalahasti - Naidupet - Hit NH5 (GQ) - Ongole - Guntur

However I'm not too happy about the Bangalore - Mulbagal section which is undergoing 4 laning. Can easily eat up 3 hrs for this section alone.

I can do Bangalore - Krishnagiri (NH219) - Palmaner - Tirupati - onwards
(not sure of Krishnagiri - Palmaner)
OR

Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Tirupati - onwards
(This is a roundabout route but probably the best road)

Any suggestions?

I'm starting at 6 AM in a Swift. Any good place for lunch on NH5? I'm assuming I'll be able to hit NH5 by 11 - 12.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2009, 15:48   #2
BHPian

Hi csentil,

You can also go via Chennai, I believe. It will be NH driving all the way if you did that. NH4 from Bangalore to Chennai and NH5 (?) from there till Guntur. But I think you have done your research well and chosen the via Tirupati route after due consideration of several factors that I may not be aware of
Akadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 13:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks,

Well I did what I do best.... try out different routes

Route to Guntur:

Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Katpadi - Chittoor - Tirupathi Bypass - Renigunta Bypass - SriKalahasti Byepass - Nayudupeta (join NH5 here) - Nellore - Ongole - Guntur.

Departure: 6.15 AM
Arrival: 5.15 PM (at Guntur)
20 minute breakfast stop after Ambur (had packed breakfast)
45 minutes lunch stop after Gudur at Reliance A1 now run by someone else.
Distance: 698 kms

Everyone knows about Bangalore - Vellore i.e the GQ to Chennai.

Vellore - Katpadi was a nightmare. Lot of traffic at approx 9 AM in the morning. Bad roads from katpadi till it reaches NH4 towards Chittoor.

Have to go through Chittoor town. Roads from Chittoor to Tirupathi is great except for small sections.

Tirupathi byepass has bad craters. Some of them are wheel benders.

Tirupathi - Kalahasti road is ok. Not great. Too much of traffic and quite a few potholes. (Will update this in the Bangalore to Tirupathi thread as well)

Kalahasti byepass has lot of speedbreakers and a bad bridge across the river there.

Kalahasti to Nayadupeta has few speedbreakers and road condition is decent. Watch out for small potholes.

It is easier to take the right at Nayadupeta to get to the GQ. You will hit NH5 in less than a km. We took the left and this road ran parallel to NH5 for 10+ kms. (Should have followed Google maps here)

Nayadupeta to Guntur is 301 kms on the GQ. the stretch between Nellore and Ongole being the best part. Watch out for buffaloes. We saw dead buffaloes on both directions and a lorry capsized due to it.

There is a defunct tollgate with a speed breaker. Don't understand why this can't be removed. Other than that not a major problem till Guntur.

One funny point we noticed were the marked rest areas which are supposed to have canteens. Looked more like public toilets to us!!

Return Journey:

Guntur - Nayadupeta - Sri Kalahasti - Tirupathi - Chittoor - Palamaner - Kuppam - Krishnagiri - Bangalore.

Distance: 705 kms
Departure: 6.30 AM
Arrival: 6.45 PM
45 minutes breakfast, 45 minutes lunch and a 45 min stopover in Krishnagiri.

We decided not to do the route back via Vellore. As we headed down NH4 towards Palamaner we were a bit apprehensive about driving towards Mulbagal and Kolar. 4 laning is in progress and we didn't want to have an irritating drive back.

So we took the Kuppam route. The diversion towards Kuppam is around 7 kms or so after Palamaner towards Mulbagal. (not sure exactly how much). This is NH219 and the road is excellent 2 lane. There are small ghat sections and almost nil traffic except for a few buses. Kuppam has a byepass so no need to enter the town. Distance between Kuppam to Krishnagiri - 105 kms. We did this stretch in around 95 minutes.
Old 30th November 2009, 14:00   #4
BHPian

Hi csentil,

Great to see that you are back after completing the trip successfully and that too trying different routes. Even I like doing this a lot. So, which of these two routes would you recommend to others?
Akadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 14:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

To go to Tirupathi if one wants to avoid the Kolar route, the Krishnagiri - Kuppam - Palmaner route makes sense.

Tirupathi - Kolar - Chittoor - Tirupathi is approx 250 kms

Tirupathi - Krishnagiri - Kuppam - Palamaner - Chittoor - Tirupathi is around 315 kms.

Tirupathi - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Chittoor - Tirupathi is around the same 315 kms.

What you make up through driving on GQ till Vellore can be lost going through Vellore, Katpadi and the bad road to Chittoor. So i would prefer the Kuppam route.
Old 30th November 2009, 20:25   #6
BHPian

Kindly try the route through Mallur while going to Tirupathi.( Blr-Whitefield-NH207-Malur-Kolar-Mulbagal-Palmaner-Chithoor- Tirupathi) Its same distance as the normal route through Hoskote with light trafiic till Kolar. Kolar-Mulbagal 4 laning is in progress but doable as one side of the road is in good shape. Only issue would be the diversions and switch sides

I normally take 4-4.5 hrs from HSR Layout to Tirupathi with a break of 15 mins.
sureshurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 18:57   #7

Default Bangalore - Chilakaluripet (Guntur) - Bangalore

I am new to team-bhp and this is my first post. On this occasion, I would like to congratulate myself! I am sure my team-bhp journey will be lovely.

I am planning to do this trip of Bangalore - Chilakaluripet - Bangalore for a friend's wedding. Chilakaluripet is before Guntur when traveling towards Guntur from Chennai. The wedding is on 17th Oct morning 11:30. I plan to leave Bangalore on 16th morning 7:00 am and reach Chilakaluripet same day by 8:00 pm. I would start from Chilakaluripet by 1:00 pm and intend to be in Bangalore by 11:00 pm.

I have a couple of route options with me.

a) Bangalore - Kolar - Chittoor - Tirupathi - Nayudupeta - Guddur - Nellore - Ongole - Chilakaluripet
b) Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Chennai - Nayudupeta - Guddur - Nellore - Ongole - Chilakaluripet (Full GQ)

There are 3 reasons why I prefer the Krishnagiri - Chennai route (I have not finalised yet):

1) There is road work going on in Kolar. I visited Tirupathi about 6 months ago. So part of the extra time I may spend in the long Krishnagiri - Chennai route may be equal to the time lost in driving Kolar construction stretch.

2) It will be late hours when I return to Bangalore on 17th. I have travelled late night on Vellore - Krishnagiri - Bangalore stretch. So I am familiar with it.

3) The Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Chennai - Nayudupeta - Guddur - Nellore - Ongole - Chilakaluripe route has divider all along the stretch. (I belive so - I have not travelled Vellore - Chilakaluripe).

Any suggestions?

Also, I wish to know if I would loose too much time on the Chennai ring road. I don't intend to enter Chennai city.

I am a slow and easy going person. I won’t go beyond 80 kmph. I have a Indica. Do you think I would be able to make the return journey in 10 hours? (My 2 year old daughter Kavya will be travelling with me!)

I will post a detailed travelogue once I have done my trip.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Eddy : 1st October 2010 at 14:49. Reason: Corrected date
ravi.guddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 20:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

IMO,the route via Chennai is going to be very circuitous and time consuming,getting out of Chennai if you take the ring road is going to take a very long time.I do the route from Hyd to Chennai via Sagar-Chilkaluripet-NH5-Chennai quite often.

I'd recco the Chittoor-Tirupati-Kalahasti-Join NH5 @ Naidupeta-Gudur-Nellore-Ongole-C'pet.It is around 620kms approx.Naidupeta to C'pet would take you around4-5hours at the maximum.Beware of heavy cattle crossing on NH5 between Ongole & C'pet.The stretch is notorious for it.

Facilities are very poor on the highway.Hardly any good eating places enroute on nh5.There is a BP Ghar Dhaba on to your right after Nellore and there is a CCD outlet attached to a HP pump at Nayudupeta to your left.On NH5 it would be very difficult to maintain 80kph,without you realising you would very soon see the needle on the 100kph.No problem with fuel,plenty of pumps available.

You should be able to do your return journey in 12hours drive comfortably.However my recco would be for you to stay the night at C'pet and start next day morning from C'pet.Afternoon starts always slow you down and tiredness also would set in after half a day's activity.If you leave C'pet by 6am,you would be in Blr latest by 6pm.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 30th September 2010 at 20:37.
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 20:39   #9
Team-BHP Support

Changing your course just because Bangalore-Kolar is bad is may not be the right approach. There are ways to avoid this stretch as well!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 21:09   #10
BHPian

Hi I did Blore to Vijayawada in the month of Aug and in no way it can take 3hrs just for the stretch you mentioned if you plan to leave bit early.

I left Bangalore at 4:30 AM and reached Tirupati by 8:30 AM.
raghu230506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 21:35   #11

Thanks for your inputs Ranjit, Ampere and Raghu!

I am drifting towards Chennai route. But the quality of road alone was not the reason why I preferred the Chennai route.

As Ranjit said, afternoon starts are slow and tiring. But I must return to Bangalore by Monday morning. I have never traveled in Tirupati - Kolar - Bangalore route during dark. And have done the Vellore - Krishnagiri - Bangalore route during dark hours. This is my prime concern. The 2nd route will be well lit upto Bangalore.

As per google maps Bangalore - Tirupathi - Chilakaluripet is about 585 kms. Via Chennai its 720 kms. The difference is 140 kms, which considering that its better road should not take more than 1:30 hours extra. Ranjit, can you please give an estimate how much time will crossing Chennai take?

I am fully open to suggestions. My prime concern is return trip during dark hours.

Thanks all,

Ravi
Old 30th September 2010, 22:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Crossing Chennai coming from NH4 and getting onto NH5 would take a minimum of 2hours upwards depending on traffic,there are a couple of flyover constructions etc in progress.Chennai guys would be able to tell you better on this.

I dont think its worth the time and effort to come via chennai.Tirupati to Bangalore in the evening time is no problem absolutely.It is an easy drive.

N'peta to Chittoor is approx 150kms/3-4hours,after which you are back on NH4.

C'pet to Nayudupeta is 4hours,which means you would still have daylight to cover the Nayudupeta-Chittoor stretch,and being the main access road to Tirupati ensures that the road is always busy and well marked.

Chittoor to KR puram is another 4hours depending on traffic conditions.

I would still go with the route via Tirupati,chennai is a collosal waste of time and effort.
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 22:20   #13

Thanks Ranjit, you have convinced me to drive via Tirupati route.

Any tips on places to stop / eat at?
Old 1st October 2010, 07:29   #14
Team-BHP Support

Between Bangalore-Tirupati:

1. Woodys at Kolar
2. 3 CCDs : One in Kolar, One in Chandragiri, third somewhere in between (dont remember where).
3. Bans at Chitoor Bypass

Bans was a very good/clean place with loads of parking (though the hotel is costly).
You know what to expect from CCD

Please note you can very easily miss the Chitoor by-pass. Hence be on the look out, when nearing. If you have a GPS, I can give you a track log.

Last edited by ampere : 1st October 2010 at 07:31.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 19:29   #15

Are there streetlights (good enough for night driving) on the Tirupati - Kolar - Bangalore segment?