Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 4th December 2009, 12:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

We will draw up a detailed route plan for the North trip. But personally, I would keep in mind the following issues: heavy fog, cold weather, Kedarnath is closed.

If you are looking at the South, it is a great idea but bear in mind that this is the peak Sabarimala pilgrim season and all temples in Kerala (and also TN) are likley to be choked with people.

A South temple circuit can be great, and you have lots of ideas - you can do a Navagraha temple circuit, Pancha bhoota circuit, Murugan temple circuit (7 temples), Vaishnava temple circuit, and so on.

But broadly, I would include the following:
Srirangam, Madurai, Thanjavur, Kumbakonam, Chidambaram, Rameswaram, Tiruchendur, Kanyakumari, Srivilliputtur, Trivandrum, Chottanikara, Guruvayur, Dharmastala, Sringeri, Subramanya, Gokarna, Srisailam, Annavaram, Bhadrachalam, Simhachalam, Mangalagiri, Sri Kalahasti and Tirupati.

There are lots of temples you can visit in this region, and you will have to select carefully, else you will not complete in 15 days. Another issue is that in the South, temples are generally closed between mid-morning and early evening, which presents special problems with scheduling.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 12:06   #17
BHPian

Smile

A good starting point in Karnataka could be this website developed by my friend, Vijayanand Gurudev:

Temples of Karnataka - Art, Architecture, History of Ganga, Kadamba, Calukya, Rashtrakuta, Hoysala, Vijayanagara, Tulunadu, Nolamba, Dravidian Temples of Karnataka

The site has driving directions, maps, archeological and historical significances attached to each of the temples. Vijay has personally traveled to each of the temples and photographed and written about them. Do take a look and comment...
wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 12:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
A good starting point in Karnataka could be this website developed by my friend, Vijayanand Gurudev:

Temples of Karnataka - Art, Architecture, History of Ganga, Kadamba, Calukya, Rashtrakuta, Hoysala, Vijayanagara, Tulunadu, Nolamba, Dravidian Temples of Karnataka

The site has driving directions, maps, archeological and historical significances attached to each of the temples. Vijay has personally traveled to each of the temples and photographed and written about them. Do take a look and comment...
Wow this is one of the best site. I went through ti and all the details are given in it.Thanks HVK and wander for helping us out
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 20:06   #19
BHPian

Hi,

I thought of a small plan as well. Since you would be starting from Bijapur, first place could be Srisailam, which is very close. From there you could come back to NH7 via Achempet and Jadcherla. Take NH7 till Hyd and then shift to NH9 to reach Pune. Cover the three nearest ones, viz., Trayambakeshwar, Bhima Shankar and Ellora (Grishneshwar). Then go via Ahmednagar - Aurangabad to Indore and cover Mahakal and Omkareshwar. From there you can head to Gujarat and do Somnath and Nageshwar. After that head back home since you have a shortage of time. I think all these 8 can be covered within 8 days if you travel according to my outline
Akadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 13:21   #20
BHPian

Basically, I thought of the above suggestion keeping in mind the winter season of Northern parts. So, I've kept the pilgrimage limited to Western India and Central India. You can make a trip to the North in summer when Kedarnath and Badrinath are open as well. Now, if I give a rough daily estimate here, it will be a bit more clear -

Day 1
Start from Bijapur early morning and head for Srisailam. It is nearly 500 kms and you can stay put in Srisailam for the first night.

Day 2
Start from Srisailam and head for Achempet and strike NH7 at Jadcherla. Continue to Hyderabad and then move in the direction of Pattancheru to join NH9. Continue to Solapur and I would suggest either call it a day there or in Pandharpur, where you can see the Vitthal temple. Even if you stop in Pandharpur, it is less than 600 kms for the day.

Day 3
You have two options as both Bhima Shankar and Grishneshwar are around 350 kms from Pandharpur. I would suggest go to Bhima Shankar and then proceed to Nashik for a night halt. Total running for the day would be around 520 kms.

Day 4
First thing in the morning, please go to Trayambakeshwar. After that re-trace your steps back to Nashik and head for Ellora. I believe you can have a visit to Grishneshwar as well by evening and then call it a day in Ellora or even Aurangabad, which is 25 kms from there. Day's running would be max 275 kms.

Day 5
A halt in Aurangabad would put you in excellent striking range of Omkareshwar, which is around 350 kms. Proceed there via Burhanpur and you could call it a day in Indore or Ujjain, which is just 60 kms from Indore. If you stop in Ujjain, it would be 490 kms for the day.

Day 6
Assuming you stopped in Ujjain, head back to Indore and proceed to Ahmedabad. I would suggest you stop there as the running for the day would reach 460 kms or so if you have come Ujjain - Indore - Dhar - Dahod - Godhra - Ahmedabad.

Day 7
Ahmedabad - Limbdi - Dhrol - Jamnagar - Dwarka would be apt as it translates to roughly 460 kms and you can stay put in Dwarka for the night.

Day 8
Dwarka to Somnath along the coast and after the visit to the temple, you can head to Bhavnagar for the night halt. That would be nearly 500 kms for the day.

Day 9
Now, you are on the return leg basically. Just enjoy the GQ and go to Thane via Baroda, Surat and Vapi. This is a little longer than previous days at about 610 kms but should present no difficulties as GQ allows for almost 50% greater distance coverage in the same time compared to other roads.

Day 10
Back to Bijapur via Pune and Solapur. Take NH13 from Solapur for a direct attack on Bijapur. Total distance for the day would be ~500 kms.

As I said before, if you follow this outline 8 pilgrimage spots would be covered within 8 days. The last two days are just for the return trip
Akadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 15:54   #21
BHPian

Thanks HVKumar, Akadian, shishir_bn wanderlust for your help.

I got stuck with the office work and I had to replan my travel. I only got 1 week time off and I could only visit temples in karnataka.

Covered around 3300 kms and took the route as follows
Bangalore - Bijapur - Saudatti[Yelammana Gudda] -Hubli - Gokarna - Yana - Sirsi[Marikamba Temple] - Banavasi[Madhukeshwara Temple] - Sagar - Jog Falls - Murudeshwara - Kollur - Agumbe - Sringeri - Horanadu - Dharmastala - Kukke Dharmastala - Bijapur - Bangalore.
lingadalli is offline   Reply With Quote