Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 18th August 2011, 21:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Travelling to Kanyakumari

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus. View Post
I have booked accomodation at Vivekananda Kendra for next week.Did you mean, they do not have parking facility inside the aashram?
It is a large campus. Parking will not be a problem.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 20:30   #32
BHPian

Quote:
I have booked accomodation at Vivekananda Kendra for next week.
maximus please share the room cleanliness and other things at VK. I plan to visit KK in September with my mother and wife
hyper-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:45   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
maximus please share the room cleanliness and other things at VK. I plan to visit KK in September with my mother and wife
Hi Hyper-Vtec,

I will be visiting VK the coming weekend, shall provide an update once i return.
maximus. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 08:21   #34
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
please share the room cleanliness and other things at VK. I plan to visit KK in September with my mother and wife
Quote:
I will be visiting VK the coming weekend, shall provide an update once i return.
Last night, I returned from Kanniyakumari. We stayed in a double non-AC room costing Rs 262.50 per day [inclusive of tax] at a block called Kashi. The double AC room's tariff was stated to be Rs 750 plus taxes, but that was not available when we had arrived there.

The room was clean and catered to our requirements. The room didn't have TV, telephone, running hot water, room-service, etc. However, hot water would be supplied on request. There were acres of space available in the sprawling campus to park our cars!

The campus has a pure vegetarian restaurant called Gowrishankar. We had our quota of lunch, dinner and breakfast at Gowrishankar. Three types of meal were available. We had opted for one that cost Rs 37 comprising 4 chappatis, side dishes, unlimited rice, rasam and buttermilk. However, we found coffee and tea were not that good.

The Vivekanandapuram campus of Vivekananda Kendra was very vast. However, we missed sun rise thanks to clouds. We saw peacocks freely roaming around in the campus. Free shuttle service is available from Vivekanandapuram to Kanniyakumari and back at frequent intervals.
J.Ravi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:33   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Last night, I returned from Kanniyakumari. We stayed in a double non-AC room costing Rs 262.50 per day [inclusive of tax] at a block called Kashi. The double AC room's tariff was stated to be Rs 750 plus taxes, but that was not available when we had arrived there.

The room was clean and catered to our requirements. The room didn't have TV, telephone, running hot water, room-service, etc. However, hot water would be supplied on request. There were acres of space available in the sprawling campus to park our cars!

The campus has a pure vegetarian restaurant called Gowrishankar. We had our quota of lunch, dinner and breakfast at Gowrishankar. Three types of meal were available. We had opted for one that cost Rs 37 comprising 4 chappatis, side dishes, unlimited rice, rasam and buttermilk. However, we found coffee and tea were not that good.

The Vivekanandapuram campus of Vivekananda Kendra was very vast. However, we missed sun rise thanks to clouds. We saw peacocks freely roaming around in the campus. Free shuttle service is available from Vivekanandapuram to Kanniyakumari and back at frequent intervals.
Hi Ravi,

Thanks a ton for providing update on VK and availability of food within the campus.

Could you please advise road conditions from BLR to Kanyakumari? I have planned to start thrusday early morning, visit Madurai temple on the way to KK.
Planned to visit Padmanabha temple in TVM and back to KK same day.Any updates on KK-TVM road conditions will also be helpful.
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ravi,
Could you please advise road conditions from BLR to Kanyakumari? I have planned to start thrusday early morning, visit Madurai temple on the way to KK.
Planned to visit Padmanabha temple in TVM and back to KK same day.Any updates on KK-TVM road conditions will also be helpful.
Bangalore - KK is completely 4 laned so no issues with road conditions. I suggest you keep Madurai on your way back to Bangalore because you would end up reaching Madurai at around noon if you leave Bangalore early in the morning. The temple might be closed then forcing you to wait till about 4 in the evening for your darshan.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:47   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Bangalore - KK is completely 4 laned so no issues with road conditions. I suggest you keep Madurai on your way back to Bangalore because you would end up reaching Madurai at around noon if you leave Bangalore early in the morning. The temple might be closed then forcing you to wait till about 4 in the evening for your darshan.
Hi Srikanth,

Thanks for the quick response and valuble suggestion. Planned to leave BLR at 4Am,thought i could reach Madurai by 11am. If i cannot make it up to madurai before 11am, i shall keep madurai on my way back, i also had Palani on my list while returning to BLR.
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:28   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Srikanth,

Thanks for the quick response and valuble suggestion. Planned to leave BLR at 4Am,thought i could reach Madurai by 11am. If i cannot make it up to madurai before 11am, i shall keep madurai on my way back, i also had Palani on my list while returning to BLR.
Bangalore-Madurai would be about 6-6.5 (~430km) hours of travel time excluding breaks.
If you start at 4, you would be at Salem by 7 and at Madurai by 10:30 (without any break)
If you add an 0.5 hour break for BF, then you would be at Madurai by 11 or 11:30 max.

That is subject to assumption that you start by 4 sharp.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:06   #39
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
NH 7 [AH 43] is a superb 4-lane road all the way from Bangalore to Kanniyakumari that bypasses all the cities and towns en route including Madurai and Thirunelveli.

We left Suchindram temple by 9:30 am and reached BP COCO retail outlet + Ghar Dhaba [run by an eatery called Temple City] at LHS after Madurai BP by 1:00 pm non-stop. After filling the bellies of both my Linea and its occupants, we left by 1:50 pm and reached BP COCO retail outlet + Ghar Dhaba [A2B] at RHS at Chinnar after Krishnagiri toll plaza by 4:45 pm, again non-stop. After enriching ourselves with evening snacks+coffee and my Linea with tankful of fuel, we started by 5:30 pm and reached our Basaveswaranagar home by 8:00 pm.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 19:15   #40
BHPian

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the inputs. Returned from a wonderful trip to Kanyakumari and trivandrum. NH7 is bliss to drive throughout.
We stayed at Vivekananda Kendra for 2 days and headed towards Trivandrum to visit Padmanabha Temple. Visited Suchindram and Nagercoil around KK.

Food at VK was okay.We were able to get nice north indian dinner at Baba Ramdev Restaurant(1st Floor) which is in the temple street.I would recommend this place for north indian food.

Last edited by maximus. : 30th August 2011 at 19:17.
maximus. is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 21:00   #41
BHPian

@ maximus and J.Ravi - did you book VK in advance? I plan to travel to KK from BNG in first week of October.

@ hvkumar and @ampere - How is the road condition between madurai and rameshwaram? Is it doable in 4 hours with sane driving?

My plan was:
Day1: BNG - KK
Day 2: KK
Day 3: KK - Rameshwaram (via Madurai - see Meenakshi temple)? Is this route sensible? i mean is there any quicker route between KK and Rameshwaram?
Day4: Rameshwaram
Day 5: Drive to BNG (via Madurai?)

Please suggest good places to stay in Rameshwaram
Old 18th September 2011, 08:52   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ hvkumar and @ampere - How is the road condition between madurai and rameshwaram? Is it doable in 4 hours with sane driving?

My plan was:
Day1: BNG - KK
Day 2: KK
Day 3: KK - Rameshwaram (via Madurai - see Meenakshi temple)? Is this route sensible? i mean is there any quicker route between KK and Rameshwaram?
Day4: Rameshwaram
Day 5: Drive to BNG (via Madurai?)

Please suggest good places to stay in Rameshwaram
Normally NH49 between Madurai & Rameshwaram is good 2-laned road.
Lots of hotels in Rameshwaram. You can even try Hotel Tamil Nadu, run by TTDC.
I doubt if you can while away a day in KK - I suggest you leave post-lunch for Rameswaram.
You can take the ECR which is the shortest and best route from KK to Rameswaram. Via Tiruchendur, Tuticorin, Sikkal, Kizhakrai & Ramanathapuram.
You can see the MDU temple on the way back from Rameswaram to Bangalore.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 09:14   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Normally NH49 between Madurai & Rameshwaram is good 2-laned road.
Lots of hotels in Rameshwaram. You can even try Hotel Tamil Nadu, run by TTDC.
I doubt if you can while away a day in KK - I suggest you leave post-lunch for Rameswaram.
You can take the ECR which is the shortest and best route from KK to Rameswaram. Via Tiruchendur, Tuticorin, Sikkal, Kizhakrai & Ramanathapuram.
You can see the MDU temple on the way back from Rameswaram to Bangalore.
Thanks a lot HVK. One small question, how much time would it take to travel between KK and Raneshwaram with sane driving in the route suggested by you?
Old 18th September 2011, 09:19   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot HVK. One small question, how much time would it take to travel between KK and Raneshwaram with sane driving in the route suggested by you?
Around 5 hours for a fast driver.
There are poor facilities though on this ECR.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 10:40   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Around 5 hours for a fast driver.
There are poor facilities though on this ECR.
Thanks. I would carry enough food, water and red-bull :-)