Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 3rd December 2009, 10:01   #1
BHPian

Default Kolkata to Bangalore - Help needed on route, hotels, food and diesel

Hi guys,

I am driving to Bangalore next week with my wife.

I am a slow driver and my max speed on good highways is 100kmph.

I would need help on

1. route (I read akroy's travelogue, but need an update on current road conditions or any alternate route. I always prefer to drive on good roads.)
2. Accomodation (I would like to take it easy and reach Bangalore in 3-4 days. Please advise on best places to stay. Scenic places would be better.).
3. Food (In my last trip from Jaleswar to Kolkata, it was hard to find good places to eat.)
4. Good Petrol Pumps, preferably Company Owned within 300 kms.

The vehicle is a Tata Safari.

Thanks in advance.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2009, 19:37   #2
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Please suggest recommended food and fuel stops, and places to stay for a 3 days drive to Bangalore. I was planning to stop at Berhampore for day 1, but not sure about the best place to stop for day 2. Also please update the current road conditions in Naidupet - Tirupati-Bangalore. Thanks in advance.
Old 4th December 2009, 12:14   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Hi guys,

I am driving to Bangalore next week with my wife.

I am a slow driver and my max speed on good highways is 100kmph.

I would need help on

1. route (I read akroy's travelogue, but need an update on current road conditions or any alternate route. I always prefer to drive on good roads.)
2. Accomodation (I would like to take it easy and reach Bangalore in 3-4 days. Please advise on best places to stay. Scenic places would be better.).
3. Food (In my last trip from Jaleswar to Kolkata, it was hard to find good places to eat.)
4. Good Petrol Pumps, preferably Company Owned within 300 kms.

The vehicle is a Tata Safari.

Thanks in advance.
No way of avoiding Balasore - Bhadrak (really bad). I normally take the road through Balasore town. Save ~ 6 Km of bad roads, but unruly town traffic.

Somewhere on Chilka (eg. Panthaniwas at Rambha or Barkul) might be better than Behrampore, but might throw your schedule haywire. On the other hand, if time (and 50 + 50 Km detours) are not an issue, Taptapani.

There is a very well known dhaba at Kolaghat, but then its too near Calcutta. Normally don't stop for food on Cal - BHB runs.

Offhand, BPCL at Uluberia (with dhaba), and 19 Km after Balasore.

Are you driving one way, or coming back also? What time do you start your day? Hope you are aware of the Orissa Road extortion at Jaleswar. And the Safari is a heavy car!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 18:04   #4
BHPian

Check this link for more details.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ys-photos.html (Madurai-Kolkata-Madurai (4500Km) 5days - with photos)

From Kolkatta to Nellore you can consider these logs and take a deviation from GQ towards Bangalore. You can also check HVkumars and AKRoy's posts since they have already done these trips.

Hope this helps.

All the best.
Indian Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 22:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
No way of avoiding Balasore - Bhadrak (really bad). I normally take the road through Balasore town. Save ~ 6 Km of bad roads, but unruly town traffic.
Thanks for your suggestion. Which diversion should I take to drive through Balasore town?

Quote:

Are you driving one way, or coming back also? What time do you start your day? Hope you are aware of the Orissa Road extortion at Jaleswar. And the Safari is a heavy car!

Regards
Sutripta
I am driving one way. I usually start my day early morning around 5. I am plannig to drive between 5A.M. to 6 P.M. to avoid any night driving.

I came back through Jaleswar in October and had to pay the so called Orissa Motor Vehicles tax. It is valid for six months, so I should not be paying any tax again.
Old 5th December 2009, 21:23   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion. Which diversion should I take to drive through Balasore town?
Sometime after joining NH5, you will come to the Balasore - Remuna crossroad, identified by a unfinished ROB. Turn left there, and just follow the road. Landmarks:- Hotel Torrento, Hotel Swarnachura, (both to your right) ROB next to Balasore station, where it takes a right turn. After the ROB, a left turn takes you to Chandipur. Ignore it and keep on going straight. Just before rejoining NH5, there is a level xng.

The locals (at Balasore) say there is a road from the station to what is now NH60, avoiding the horror that is the approach to Balasore. However, I've never managed to locate this road. If you are coming from Cal, slightly before the NH60/ NH5 jnc, there is a Rail xng. And there is road to the left which is a likely candidate. But the locals at that crossing say that that road will not take you to Balasore. Maybe you can do some investigating.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 5th December 2009, 22:34   #7

I recently did Bangalore Tirupati Bangalore on Nov 20 and 21st in my WagonR. Road conditions are quite good, even though it is two lane throughout. Four lane work is on in the last 100 KMs from Karnataka border to Bangalore. Considering you have a Safari Tirupati-BLR should not be a problem.
rajhiremath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009, 01:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Sometime after joining NH5, you will come to the Balasore - Remuna crossroad, identified by a unfinished ROB. Turn left there, and just follow the road. Landmarks:- Hotel Torrento, Hotel Swarnachura, (both to your right) ROB next to Balasore station, where it takes a right turn. After the ROB, a left turn takes you to Chandipur. Ignore it and keep on going straight. Just before rejoining NH5, there is a level xng.

The locals (at Balasore) say there is a road from the station to what is now NH60, avoiding the horror that is the approach to Balasore. However, I've never managed to locate this road. If you are coming from Cal, slightly before the NH60/ NH5 jnc, there is a Rail xng. And there is road to the left which is a likely candidate. But the locals at that crossing say that that road will not take you to Balasore. Maybe you can do some investigating.

Regards
Sutripta
Thank you for the direction. Google map does show a diversion through Balasore town which joins NH5 later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajhiremath View Post
I recently did Bangalore Tirupati Bangalore on Nov 20 and 21st in my WagonR. Road conditions are quite good, even though it is two lane throughout. Four lane work is on in the last 100 KMs from Karnataka border to Bangalore. Considering you have a Safari Tirupati-BLR should not be a problem.
Thanks. I am planning to stay at Tirupati. Do I need to book in advance for the morning darshan?
Old 6th December 2009, 09:42   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the direction. Google map does show a diversion through Balasore town which joins NH5 later.
Yes, GM shows it, but Yahoo/ Mapmyindia does not! So investigation needed!

Ofcourse once NH5 is properly done, it will be forgotten.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 6th December 2009, 19:45   #10
BHPian

How bad is NH5 in these stretches? Is it like Digha - Jaleswar (No road for few kms with huge sandy craters) ?

Here are my initial plans:

Plan A:
Day 1: Kolkata - Gopalpur
Day 2: Gopalpur - Vijaywada
Day 3: Vijaywada - Tirupati
Day 4: Tirupati - Bangalore

Plan B:
Day 1: Kolkata - Bhubaneswar
Day 2: Bhubaneswar - Visakhapatnam
Day 3: Visakhapatnam - Tirupati
Day 4: Tirupati - Bangalore

I would like to know the feasibility of the plans. The problem is Gopalpur is kind of too far from Kolkata, but Bhubaneswar is too close. Is there any place in between so that we can plan the night halts better?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by sumannandy : 6th December 2009 at 19:59.
Old 6th December 2009, 23:56   #11
BHPian

And here is the Plan C:

Day 1: Kolkata to Barkul (Per your suggestion)
Day 2: Barkul to Rajahmundry
Day 3: Rajamundry to Tirupati
Day 4: Tirupati to Bangalore

Thanks.
Old 7th December 2009, 08:22   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And here is the Plan C:

Day 1: Kolkata to Barkul (Per your suggestion)
Day 2: Barkul to Rajahmundry
Day 3: Rajamundry to Tirupati
Day 4: Tirupati to Bangalore

Thanks.
Hi,
Personally I prefer Rambha, but for a night halt, no real difference.

Sutripta
Old 7th December 2009, 13:46   #13

Quote:

Thanks. I am planning to stay at Tirupati. Do I need to book in advance for the morning darshan?
If you have the option of booking in advance in Kolkata, then go ahead. Else no problem. They have started a New Darshan facility last month called Quick Darshan, which is ideally suited for pilgrims who come without bookings. You just pay Rs 300 per person and enter the queue. You should be done with your darshan within an hour.
rajhiremath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 21:25   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Personally I prefer Rambha, but for a night halt, no real difference.

Sutripta
Thanks. We will try to make it to Rambha for day 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajhiremath View Post
If you have the option of booking in advance in Kolkata, then go ahead. Else no problem. They have started a New Darshan facility last month called Quick Darshan, which is ideally suited for pilgrims who come without bookings. You just pay Rs 300 per person and enter the queue. You should be done with your darshan within an hour.
That's great. I am not sure if it would be possible at all to book the tickets in advance from Kolkata. We will try this facility.
Old 8th December 2009, 23:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Rambha to Rajahmundry is merely 500 km and the roads after Icchapuramm are reportedly in excellent shape (truly GQ), so I suggest that you push for Vijayawada for a N/s. on day 2. Vijayawada would be about 680 km. from Rambha. Rajahmundry has one hotel that came higly recommended - River Bay, it seems to have a nice view of the river. Vijayawada has a pretty wide selection of hotels. Vijayawada to Tirupati would be about 430 kms. mostly on the GQ. Reaching Tirupati early means you have enough time to book your darshan etc. for the next morning. If you manage to get special seva tickets - you need to be up by around 2.00 a.m. another reason to reach early.

You could also stay the first night at Barkul (Balugaon) where OTDC has a resort. OTDC bookings can be done on-line through panthanivas.com. The distance between Balugaon and Rambha is only 30 km.

There is another recent travelogue Puri and Chilka from Kolkata - Rediscovering coastal Orissa by predatoronwheelz which gives in detail conditions till Bhubaneshwar. The travelogue by Arindam-Xeta: Kolkata - Konarak - Puri - Kolkata will give you an idea of driving times etc.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote