Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 16th April 2012, 12:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Trip to Jaisalmer in summer in a Swift Dzire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainthreat View Post
Would it be possible (advisable ) to drive to Jaisalmer during May from Mumbai? Any special precautions to be taken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Very much possible.Would be super hot in J'mer though-am sure you have considered that.
It will be super super hot!!!! You just can not do anything between 10 AM and 5 PM and have to be stuck inside the hotel. Are you game for it?

Secondly, don't book in any tented accomadation as many of them may not be having AC. Even after this and you plan to go, then please book a room in a hotel/resort with AC. Confirm AC is working and there are no power cuts. If you are travelling with small kids say less than two years, i would not recommend this season.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 21:46   #17
BHPian

Have already exhausted all wildlife reserves in MP. Plan is visit Ranthambore and then cut across to Jaisalmer via Udaipur and then drift down back to Mumbai via Ahmedabad. At Jaisalmer the plan is to visit the Desert National Park as well as the mandatory Sonar Kella and Sam etc.

No small kids in the family. Was only worried about whether the extremely hot climate would affect tyres, engine etc.
rainthreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:42   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Info needed to plan Jaisalmer / Mt Abu / Udaipur trip

It will be crazy hot for sure and more so the tyres will get really heated up.
There are quite a few pumps along the path between Jaisalmer-Ahemadabad. Some good HP COCO pumps also along the way.. Barmer is the only grace where you get to see some human life on that near desolate stretch.

Try not to ride the path in the night as there are the desert thorn bushes that swing by on the road and cause punctures. Help is a far cry.

All the best.
longford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 13:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have already exhausted all wildlife reserves in MP. Plan is visit Ranthambore and then cut across to Jaisalmer via Udaipur and then drift down back to Mumbai via Ahmedabad. At Jaisalmer the plan is to visit the Desert National Park as well as the mandatory Sonar Kella and Sam etc.

No small kids in the family. Was only worried about whether the extremely hot climate would affect tyres, engine etc.
You havent mentioned when you would be going there,so assuming its now,its going to be super hot.Engines dont think would have a problem,but yes there would be strain on the tyres for sure.Super hot at Jaisalmer for sure.Not a great idea to be going there during the summers.Udaipur should be better.In case you do go then,you can also do Jaisalmer to Ahmedabad direct.You could do Ranthambore-Udaipur-Jaisalmer-NH15-Barmer-Sanchore-Tharad-Disa-Palanpur-Mehsana-Ahmedabad-Mumbai.Jaisalmer Mumbai would be a 10hour drive.Eating place available only at Barmer.Petrol pumps -good ones at Barmer,Sanchor,Palanpur,Ahmedabad and thereon.Found the pumps at Jaisalmer town pretty shady.There is a good BP COCO on the Tanot road.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 16:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Jaisalmer will be super hot and so will be every place in Rajasthan. Do not venture out between 10 AM and 4 PM.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 12:20   #21
BHPian

Default Pune-Dholavira-Mount Abu-Pune

Hey!

I'm part of a group that is planning a four day bike trip from Pune to Dholavira to Mount Abu and back. I searched on this forum quite a bit, and I found information for the Pune-Dholavira and Mount Abu-Pune routes, but nothing between Dholavira and Mount Abu. Also, I need some expert advice and comments on the trip schedule and help regarding quality of roads etc.

Here is my plan, that I have made with help from Google Baba.

Day 1: Pune to Viramgam
Day 2: Viramgam - Dholavir - Mount Abu
Day 3: Sighseeing in Mount Abu for first half, and return to Gandhinagar
Day 4: Gandhinagar-Daman-Pune

Here are my queries:
Day 1: Pune-Viramgam
1. We will leave from Pune by 05:00 AM, and hope to reach Ghodbunder by 08:00 before traffic builds up. I have 3 options:

a. Panvel-Thane bypass road
b. Panvel-Navi Mumbai-Thane (no diversions, same straight road)
c. Panvel-Navi Mumbai-Airoli Bridge - EEH Ghodbunder

Which wouyld be good, considering that we will reach Pancel by 07:00 AM?

2. I have read that Thane - Surat is really good road, with no problems whatsoever. What level of traffic can I expect?
3. I have read about the notorious bridge across the Narmada, that causes traffic jams. Given that we will be on bikes, is it a cause for worry? Should we consider alternate routes?
4. Since bikes are not allowed on the vadodara Ahmedabad Expressway, how is the other highway that connect the cities in terms of road quality, and traffic? Is the diversion well marked?

Day 2: Viramgam - Dholavira - Mount Abu
1. We will start early by 5 AM and hope to reach Dholavira by afternoon through Viramgam-Radhanpur-Rapar-Dholavira. How is the road quality, and is 7 hours sufficient to reach Dholavira?
2. Are pertol bunks easily available in Kutch area?
3. We will relax, and have lunch at Dholavira. Then we plan to reach Mount Abu through Dholavira-Rapar-Radhanpur-Palanpur-Mount Abu. Will 7 hours be sufficient for this?

Day 3: Mount Abu - Gandhinagar
1. What would be good places to visit in Mount Abu? The plan is to visit Nakki Lake and relax. Is there anything we shouldn't miss?
2. What is road quality and traffic density on Mount-Abu-Gandhinagar road?

Day 4: Gandhinagar-Ahmedabad-Daman-Thane-Pune
Nothing specefic, same as Day 1.

Apart from these, any pointers and general suggestions on the roads/situations we might encounter are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Kaushik
kaushik60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 11:05   #22
BHPian

What a co-incidence, I just got back yesterday from a bike trip in that region. Pune-Jodhpur-Jaisalmer-Bikaner-Jodhpur-Pune.

For the route query, Google, the Eicher Road Atlas are the best bets (and of course, HVK sir!) What I can tell you is that it's really, really hot! NH-8 is a great road, but remember that bikes will not be allowed on 2 stretches, the Ahmedabad-Vadodara expressway section, and of course, the Mumbai-Pune expressway section, you'll have to use the normal highway for those bits, which is also pretty good, but has more slow-moving traffic and yes, there are some bottlenecks here and there.

Did I mention that it's really, really hot there right now?! On the 6-laner, there is not much shade to be found, the afternoon sun really drained me out and it was hard looking for some shade to stop and rest. There are hotels and petrol bunks along the way, no worries there. Since you'll be heading south on the Gandhinagar-Pune stretch, the harsh post-noon sun will constantly be on one side of your helmet/face. Oh, one more thing, these super-highway rides are damn boring (personal opinion); only because the intent was Rajasthan, and I did not want to ship the bike, did the Pune-Ahmedabad-Surat stretch make sense for me, otherwise I found it rather pointless (again, personal opinion, GQ riders and iron-butters please excuse).

You've not said in which month you plan to travel, which bike you're riding, or how long you're comfortable riding for each day. But I'd suggest breaking up the last leg over two days, given the present weather conditions.

Ride safe!

Last edited by am1m : 8th March 2013 at 11:11. Reason: Adding some more info.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 15:11   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
What a co-incidence, I just got back yesterday from a bike trip in that region. Pune-Jodhpur-Jaisalmer-Bikaner-Jodhpur-Pune.
What a co-incidence indeed! Thanks a lot for the pointers.

1. We will be leaving on Sunday morning (day after tomorrow!). I've got all the routes figured out as per google maps. I was specifically worried about petrol bunks in the kutch area.

2. There will be four bikes - a CBR250, a Pulsar 220, and two Pulsar 150s. The P150s will obviously be the slowest, but anyway we intend to cruise at around 95 to 100, and not more than that. We're pretty comfortable riding 12+ hours a day, and have done it quite a bit in the past. If the heat saps our energy too much, we'll take it easy.

3. I totally agree with you that the straight roads will be boring. That's precisely why all the trips we've done till now has been centered around twisties, and we've putting putting Gujarat off since a year because of this. But we are going for it this time! We've thrown Mount Abu in for some respite

4. Any info on Mount Abu? and the Mount Abu-Gandhinagar road? That's the only unknown right now.

Thanks a lot.
Kaushik
Old 8th March 2013, 15:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik60 View Post
4. Any info on Mount Abu? and the Mount Abu-Gandhinagar road? That's the only unknown right now.
No problems with the Abu-Gandhinagar route.Take Abu-Palanpur-Mehsana-Gandhinagar route.Its a median separated tolled state highway(you could call it a 4 lane if you want to).Cars do it in usually 4-5hrs.Facilities are good enroute.I believe you have reasons to go to Gandhinagar else staying in AMD would make more sense and plenty of hotels on the Gandhinagar-Sarkhej highway itself(SG Highway).
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 16:03   #25
BHPian

Visited Kutch back in 2007, so don't know what the road situation in there now. Don't remember there being any problem getting petrol, but naturally, tank up in Bhuj or wherever you get petrol on the highway, before heading into the Rann.

No idea about Mt.Abu, didn't go there, stayed overnight in some hotel on Abu Road, before continuing on the way the next morning.

As ranjitp1 has said, no particular issue with Abu-Gandhinagar route. Some stretches were crowded with truck and other slower moving traffic, I remember having to pass through some towns, but ok in general.

Will just stress again, don't underestimate the toll that the heat takes on a bike rider. Stay hydrated, take breaks, and if required, extend the number of days required for the ride.
am1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 16:52   #26
BHPian

Quote:
No problems with the Abu-Gandhinagar route.Take Abu-Palanpur-Mehsana-Gandhinagar route.
Thanks a ton, Ranjit. Just two last questions.

1. I have read about the notorious bridge across the Narmada, that causes traffic jams somewhere near Ankleshwar. Given that we will be on bikes, is it a cause for worry? Is there any alternate route we should consider?
2. We hope to reach Dholavira through Viramgam-Radhanpur-Rapar-Dholavira. How is the road quality, and is 7 hours sufficient to reach Dholavira from Viramgam?

Quote:
Visited Kutch back in 2007, so don't know what the road situation in there now. Don't remember there being any problem getting petrol, but naturally, tank up in Bhuj or wherever you get petrol on the highway, before heading into the Rann...

...Will just stress again, don't underestimate the toll that the heat takes on a bike rider. Stay hydrated, take breaks, and if required, extend the number of days required for the ride.
Both points noted, we will tank up before entering the Rann.
We will also ensure that we stay hydrated. We have factored in 15 min breaks for ever 90 minutes we spend on the saddle. And, of course, the point is not to stretch levels of human endurance. We will change plans on the fly is things get tiring. After all, what fun is a ride if it turns into a battle against the elements! (unless of course, its an SS or a BB ride)

Cheers!
Kaushik
Old 8th March 2013, 22:10   #27
BHPian

Kaushik,

You need not worry about the infamous Narmada bridge at Bharuch. There is a small stretch of the leftmost lane kept open for cars and bikes, and trucks are prohibited to use this small lane. In most of my journeys by car from Ahmedabad to Surat and back I have taken the highway and only once had to use the Golden bridge, which is the old steel bridge, through Bharuch. The traffic block generally happens in the evening and night and I found the morning and afternoon the traffic flow was fairly smooth. In case you get stuck, look for the break in the divider near the Narmada bridge and cut across to the right (which is the lane for the traffic going in the other direction) and enter the small bridge on the right (this is a separate bridge devoted to cars and bikes going in the direction of Surat). So, you need not worry about the traffic jam as you can use these two options.

Have a great ride, but remember it has turned very hot in this region; Gujarat and Rajasthan.

Rapar - Dholavira stretch is very good road and there are several petrol pumps available. Dholavira is a very interesting archeological site and if you are interested, worth several hours of looking around. The government caretaker also doubles as a guide and can provide you lots of information. We had engaged one of them in our visit last year in February.

Have a great trip and take care.

Saji
SajiNSalin is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 16:05   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Visited Kutch back in 2007.... ....the number of days required for the ride.
Quote:
No problems with the Abu-Gandhinagar route...highway itself(SG Highway).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
Kaushik,

You need not worry about the .... Have a great trip and take care.

Saji
Hey folks!

My group just returned from my trip we were planning. It was amazing! We finally took the following route.
Day 1: Pune-Mumbai-Surat-Vadodara-Ahmedabad-Viramgam
Day 2: Viramgam-Radhanpur -Dholavira (greater rann of kutch)-Radhanpur-Mount Abu
Day 3: Mount Abu-Palanpur-Mehsana-Ahmedabad-Anand
Day 4 : Anand-Vadodara-Surat-Mumbai-Pune

As you said, it was very, very hot! But we took frequent breaks, and we really enjoyed the ride. We had no problems with fatigue etc. The excellent roads throughout helped in no mean measure. They afforded us long breaks, because when we were on the saddle, we ate up distances really quickly.

@Saji, as you predicted, the bridge at baruch wasn't bad at all. A delay of 5 mins at max. Also, we engaged a guide at Dholavira, and it was totally worth it.

@Ranjit: We took the route you suggested from Mount Abu towards Ahmedabad. Thanks for that, as google maps actually showed us some other route. This route turned out to be really good.

@am1n: Thanks for all the pointers. They helped in no mean way to have an enjoyable and successful ride.

This is just to thank you all for your help and inputs

Cheers!

Kaushik
kaushik60 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote