Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 9th December 2009, 00:14   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Delhi's Historical tour

So, I'm coming in Jan for the Auto Expo. I also want to spend about 3 days exploring Delhi.

Dont get me wrong, I've been to the Qutb Minar, Red Fort, etc...etc... But it was many many years ago and I would love to visit some of these historical places again. Also, my knowledge about Delhi's history is a bit more than what it was when I visited these places(I think that was about 10-12 years ago).

Now, this time, I want to focus on Old Delhi. And my idea of sight seeing is very different. I absolutely love history and I want extremely detailed info about everything. So, obviously, I will take a lot more time to cover the places than many people.

I will be alone and the itinerary is flexible. I enjoy such historical trips best when I'm left alone. No need to worry if the other person is still interested or not!

My queries:

1). I want a good guide/guides. I dont want someone who will just give me the basic facts and figures which I already know from wiki and google. I want to be taken around by someone who has a much deeper knowledge of the places. Any TBHPians?

2). My interest is Old Delhi. How many days do you guys think it will take me to cover? I know it is all in the same area, but I plan on being very thorough. For example, I'm hoping there is enough to interest me in the Red Fort alone for one whole day. Then, the next day I can look at some of the gates, purana qila, etc.. I'm still not too sure. I'm basically interested in Mughal Delhi. Not Lutyens' Delhi. Not for this trip at least!

Any help is highly appreciated.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 01:31   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not a religious person. So, temples, etc are out unless they have a lot of history attached! I do however want to visit the Jama Masjid, simply because it's so OOLD! I also want to visit the St. James Church which is near Kashmir Gate. If time permits, I will visit Akshardham as it is close to my aunt's place in Vasundhara.

If Old Delhi doesnt take too much time, I'll also visit Teen Murti Bhavan, Birla House, etc... But first preference is Old Delhi. As much as possible. EVERYTHING!!

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 9th December 2009 at 01:32.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 03:31   #3
BHPian

@Nikhilb2008: If I were you, I would go to a good books website and search with Delhi in titles (not necessarily for travel books). After shortlisting titles, I will try and read reviews and finally purchase those books. Ofcourse then read them.

You may also note that travel books written by some of the foreign tourists are more suitable for folks who have more quest to know. Not because they are better writers but because they don't take things for granted which some Indian authors may do unless they are historians.

And if you are fascinated by a site, you may like to buy additional books just on them. I am sure you may find a book on the history of Red Fort that will take you days to read and if you go visit Red Fort after that, you may actually spend all three days in Red Fort. For a city like Delhi, I believe you need at least a month. I am sorry, but I may be wrong and you may be suggesting something different and in that case just ignore my post.

In any case I will surely look forward to your travelogue in case you are planning to write one.

Last edited by akbaree : 9th December 2009 at 03:32.
akbaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 06:36   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Heritage Walk in Chandni Chowk by Delhi Heritage Walks event @ Chandni Chowk in New Delhi | event details, venue, address | Buzzintown India should help. Rest - best to post on Yuni-Net yahoogroup. I am sure you'd get enough recommendations from expats - we desis can't imagine spending three days walking around old Delhi
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote