Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th December 2012, 12:47   #31
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Hyderabad Srisailam Nagarjunsagar

Stick to the tried and tested Dindi route. Why do you want to experiment on a route that is a known devil just for some scenary?

You can enjoy similar or better scenary on the 60kms of ghat section while driving towards Srisailam.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 13:23   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveengupta View Post

Thank you Ranjit. I did go through all the Dornala threads before posting here, but was discouraged by this site
http://naxalwatch.blogspot.in/2007/0...t-schools.html
The roads mentioned having land-mines are exactly the ones I was planning on taking
Havent heard any untoward incident happening on the Dornala route,and the news item you have quoted is just speculation about the Doranala-Srisailam section and is an old one (2007).Doranala-Srisailam is through the forests and the CP does not let in vehicles beyond 9pm.The ghat road was in pristine condition till June,I do not have any updated info post June (roads might have taken a hit during monsoons).Doranala-Srisailam should not take you more than an hour to cover the 50 odd kms.Best would be to check at Sagar about road conditions and then take a call.Hardly any difference in distance between the Dindi and Doranala routes.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 10th December 2012 at 13:25.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 18:42   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Havent heard any untoward incident happening on the Dornala route...
Ranjit - Thanks a lot for the encouraging response. I am all set to take the route this Christmas and will update you all with a trip report.
praveengupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 11:31   #34

Trip Report (23-25 Dec 2012)
So finally I did complete my hyd-srisailam-nagarjunasagar-hyd trip. Dornala route had bad reviews so I took the Dindi-Devarakonda section for the Srisailam-NGS trip. It is 40km of a single road with some potholes but the alternative via Kalwakurthy is 60km of better roads so from a time perspective it should be the same. My route map is linked here and the travel times go like:

hyd-sri 5hrs (2 stops)
sri-ngs 4hrs
ngs-hyd 3hrs

Quick update on both the destinations:

Srisailam: This town itself is mainly for the religiously inclined, but the drive to the town is through nice dense forests and the scenic srisailam dam-valley region. There is a dearth of good hotels though, so you have to manage with govt property which is just about OK but serves only veg food. We stayed in hotel grand akkamahadevi near the dam, 10km before the town. This was supposedly the cleanest hotel there, and also served non-veg so it satisfied both me and my kid The rooms there are extremely small though, we had to take a suite to manage with a kid so be careful if you book a double thinking it would be good for two. A double room has just one queen size bed! The suites also had a common terrace with a very nice view. We did not visit the akka mahadevi caves as we had a 5 yr old, but that possibly is the only tourist destination in the town.

Nagarjunasagar: This place is worth it ONLY if you stay at APTDCs Vijay Vihar. Exceptionally nice rooms for a government property, with a mini-bar and private terrace that gives a direct view of the sunset over the reservoir while you sip your evening coffee. And the mornings there are even chirpier with all kinds of birds flocking near the reservoir. I would definitely select this place over the resorts in Hyd city that are more like glorified children's parks. The boat trip to Nagarjunakonda is just about OK, you will possibly be waiting to get out of it if you have been to Kerala before . But if you really want to take it, go to the launch station by 9am so that you can take the 9:30 boat.

Will try to upload the photos in the weekend. Cheers!
praveengupta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 17:30   #35

Attaching a few photos from the trip.

The first stop @ Royal dhaba as suggested by Fazal
Hyderabad Srisailam Nagarjunsagar-20121223-09.51.07.jpg

The soothing road through the dense Nallamalla forest:
Hyderabad Srisailam Nagarjunsagar-24122012018.jpg

Hotel Grand Akkamahadevi, Srisailam
Hyderabad Srisailam Nagarjunsagar-img_0584.jpg

Sunrise from the hotel terrace
Hyderabad Srisailam Nagarjunsagar-img_0591.jpg

Back from Srisailam - this is the point in the ghats where you would take a left if you wish to take NH7 expressway to Hyd. The straight road to Hyd was more scenic and shorter so we proceeded straight.
Hyderabad Srisailam Nagarjunsagar-20121224-10.42.04.jpg

Detour from Dindi towards Nagarjunasagar - single lane road for 40km (with potholes)
Hyderabad Srisailam Nagarjunsagar-24122012021.jpg

APTDC Vijay Vihar at Nagarjunasagar
Hyderabad Srisailam Nagarjunsagar-20121225-13.31.04.jpg

View from the attached balcony in the room
Hyderabad Srisailam Nagarjunsagar-img_0608.jpg

Bird views from the aptdc hotel room
Hyderabad Srisailam Nagarjunsagar-img_06261.jpg

Nagarjunasagar dam
Hyderabad Srisailam Nagarjunsagar-25122012.jpg

The earth dam (embankment to contain the reservoir water) around the main dam
Hyderabad Srisailam Nagarjunsagar-25122012005.jpg
praveengupta is offline   Reply With Quote