Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street and Travel Experiences > Route / Travel Queries

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2009, 07:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Road to Vedanthangal?

I wish to take my son to Vedanthangal bird sanctuary. I know I have to proceed on NH45 till Karunguzhi or so and take a deviation from there. I want to know the current condition of roads from there and how far it is from that point. Depending on road condition will take Alto or Splendor.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26th December 2009, 12:09   #2
BHPian

Road is OK. You can take your Alto... No probs...
Dhanasekaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 12:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks! Where exactly do I take the turn from NH 45 and how far is it from that point?
Old 26th December 2009, 12:46   #4
BHPian

You have 2 options.

Options # 1 : Pukkathurai junction where u read sign board as Uthirmerur 22kms

Options # 2 : Just before Karunguzhi.

Road from Pukkathurai is the regular one used by transport buses. I guess it should be around 20 Odd kms...
Dhanasekaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 12:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Which route did you mean when you said the road is OK?
Old 5th January 2010, 22:33   #6
BHPian

Hi,

Did you go for the trip? I am planning to go to Vedanthangal this weekend. Approximately how far from Tambaram do you take the deviation from NH 45? How are the roads?

-Siva
kshivaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 09:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

No, we went to Pondy via ECR instead. Planning to go during Pongal holidays.
Old 6th January 2010, 12:08   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I wish to take my son to Vedanthangal bird sanctuary. I know I have to proceed on NH45 till Karunguzhi or so and take a deviation from there. I want to know the current condition of roads from there and how far it is from that point. Depending on road condition will take Alto or Splendor.
Though I m in thrissur now I stayed 15 years in chengalpet and my factory was on the NH45 at Padalam which is 12 kms from Chengalpet. When you are coming from Chennai, after chengalpet bypass comes the Palar bridge, then comes mamandur (pepsi factory on right hand side), then is Pukathurai (which goes to Uthramerur), go little further on NH 45 and there is a curve and you'll see lot of factories on the right hand side. Just as you are finishing this curve slow down and there is the Padalam cross road (Kootu road in Tamil). Take right from the Padalam Kootu road and it is exactly 12 kms to vedanthangal. The road is okay and it is pure country side with small villages on the way. There is also a temple (they call it Chinna Thirupathi) on top of a hill on the way to vedanthangal. As there is a road you can go up all the way to the temple in your car.
Hope this is enough information for you. Have a good trip.

Last edited by jaisha8 : 6th January 2010 at 12:10. Reason: Additional information
jaisha8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 12:18   #9
BHPian

hey buddy, i went there recently on NH45. Road is absolutely fine till the sanctuary.

I only remember after Chengalpet Toll you have to travel for around 12KMS and you will see a big sign board to right for the sanctuary.

Enjoy! though you will need very good binoculars to see the birds up close.
srikanthpotluri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 12:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

@jaisha8
Thanks for the detailed directions. We plan to visit the temple as well as Vedanthangal next week. The temple is called "Thirumalai Vaiyavoor" and is a must see place according to my friends.
Old 15th January 2010, 15:27   #11
BHPian

Hi
I plan to drive down from Bangalore to Vedanthangal on the month end. Is there any way I can avoid chennai traffic and go direct to vedanthangal from the 4 track blr - chennai national highway?
best regards
bala
balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2010, 16:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

It may be shortest to take the turn to Kancheepuram from the B'lore highway and proceed from there. Search maps for a route from Kanchi.
Old 15th January 2010, 21:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
Hi
I plan to drive down from Bangalore to Vedanthangal on the month end. Is there any way I can avoid chennai traffic and go direct to vedanthangal from the 4 track blr - chennai national highway?
best regards
bala
Hello all the way from Bangalore to Chennai just for Vedanthangal, according to what my friends say there is not much to see otherthan some birds etc dont think its not worth a drive from Bangalore, unless if you are a hardcore bird watcher or an ornithologist.
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 18:40   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Hello all the way from Bangalore to Chennai just for Vedanthangal, according to what my friends say there is not much to see otherthan some birds etc dont think its not worth a drive from Bangalore, unless if you are a hardcore bird watcher or an ornithologist.
I am not a hard core birder but a casual bird watcher. Anyway I have to go to Pallikaranai to my brother's house. Hence wanted to combine both *** it is the migratory bird season at Vedanthangal. I may deviate to Pulicat also.
Best regards
balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 21:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Road to Vedanthangal?

I am visiting tomorrow to Vedanthangal with my two tiny grand daughters of 7 and 9.In the mean time We will visit the temple too.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote